Re: What Did You Do to Prep Today?

featureless wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 am
Bacchus wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:47 am
HuckleberryFun wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 pm Watched the news. Decided my formerly satisfactory preps are insufficient.
+1

Watching the news leads me to wonder if any any amount of prepping is sufficient. :(
There's only so much you can do. We're all more or less dependent on a functioning society. A stash of food and water, cooking fuel, light, medications is always good. Cash on hand is also usually a good idea. Clean firearm with some bullits and knowledge of how to use them may or may not be a good idea (but what would we talk about if it wasn't?).

Beyond that, knowing your community/neighbors is probably the best thing. I've found that even if you have "not much" in common, most folk are willing to help each other in times of need. Hell, you might even have more in common after! Take note of who might be at risk (poor, elderly, "other") and be ready to lend a hand. If you're the "other" in your community, identify those who might be most likely to look past that and see your humanity. We do exist, even in the white male category. ;)
I'm a big believer in community - however defined - and networking. I am also a big proponent especially of getting to know other gun-owning liberals in person and not just on the forum, because reasons.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Since I won't drink Scotch, do I stock it for trade...or count on the Bourbon?
You know the wise, old saying: "don't get high on your own supply." So, store Scotch for trade goods, and it will still be there when you need it.
Last edited by Buck13 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

max129 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 am 'I think I'd rather be bit by a snake than Pap's whiskey', said Huck (in the book).

He never tried Bushmills.
Did someone call my name? :drunklep:

This Week: I rejoined my NET (Neighborhood Emergency Team) after being 5 years inactive due to work schedule conflict, mostly. This is what is called CERT everywhere else but in Portland. I went to a meeting and re-introduced myself, and was immediately drafted to head the Ham Radio Group and coordinate radio comms and help more members get their licenses, etc.
I seem to get volunteered for things whenever I show up for stuff... :hmmm:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/pbem/31667

I cleaned out and reorganised the emergency stuff today. Need to replenish the cans, which have expired after many years of neglect. Have five gallons of unleaded and two gallons of Coleman fuel to go with the camp stove. Also stocked up on a week’s worth of backpacking food. REI is having a 10% off sale, so what the hell. Kinda spendy, but high in calories and easy to make.
"Time in an illusion, lunchtime, doubly so." Ford Prefect

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 am
max129 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 am 'I think I'd rather be bit by a snake than Pap's whiskey', said Huck (in the book).

He never tried Bushmills.
Did someone call my name? :drunklep:

This Week: I rejoined my NET (Neighborhood Emergency Team) after being 5 years inactive due to work schedule conflict, mostly. This is what is called CERT everywhere else but in Portland. I went to a meeting and re-introduced myself, and was immediately drafted to head the Ham Radio Group and coordinate radio comms and help more members get their licenses, etc.
I seem to get volunteered for things whenever I show up for stuff... :hmmm:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/pbem/31667
It's obvious, your a HAM, paramedic, know firearms and I'm sure you have plenty of other skills that are very valuable for an emergency team. And I'll take Jamesons over Bushmills. ;)
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

A fairly typical weekend day:
100 repetitions of draw from holster, aim, and dry fire my carry 1911 (from Condition 1).
(In the evening I do 100 more dry fires each with my target revolver and target 1911 for precision Bullseye practice)
Rotated 30 gallons of drinking water stored in 5 gallon water cubes.
Soon to be on my way to the (nearby indoor) range. On the way I’ll pick up some kerosene and yet another lantern.
Scheduled myself to be net control for a 2-meter simplex emergency communications drill.
When I get back from the range: some honey-dos around the house followed by a Survival Nap.

lurker wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm i call it a "tactical" nap
I did one of those. Went to bed at 1am (Wife was on 12,o'something redeye from Santa Ana to Newark and I wanted to get 4 1/2 hours before she got home). Struggled to fall asleep, I guess around 1:30...and at 4:30 our little old lady fur-baby got frantic and woke me so I had to get up and let her, and the new young one (not quite 2 but he's twice her size) out...and wait for them to come back. Fell back to sleep 15 min later...and at 5 my wife's alarm went off (I usually sleep through it) and, maybe 15 min later my better half got home, having slept about the same 3 hours on the plane.

I guess around 4, I took my "tactical nap", meaning I fell asleep at my desk......... Then I got up and FINALLY figured out the problem I've been having with the Cx4 bolt stop and the bolt stop release lever being loose...it was a big DUHHHHH!! A hair spring has to fit into the slot in the bolt stop. Fixed! And I was worried I needed both parts. I needed neither. Locked the Storm up, washed my hands, and was done "prepping".

Meanwhile, I'm making steady progress with the new Belgian Tervuren...slowly but surely he's beginning to trust me. 3 steps forward, 2 back. The little old lady who was always the sweetest thing on 4 paws has gotten a little grumpy, jealous, and, dare I say it? Bitchy. (After all that's what she really is). Despite his size, strength, and youth, she's clearly established dominance. Kudos and Thanks to K9 for his excellent advice! :thanks:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Marlene wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:11 am Woke up this morning and the power was out. Need a hand crank coffee grinder.
This is an egregious prep oversight. :lol:

Believe it or not, those little packets of freeze dried coffee work pretty well and don't taste too bad. I use them backpacking and camping and keep a little stash in the car with a pot, stove and water for unexpected overnights (you don't want to be around me in the morning without a cup of coffee in my hand). Just don't grab the bullshit disposable Kureg packets instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Hagen-Orga ... =8-17&th=1

Starbucks makes them also but I prefer others.

featureless wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:37 am
Marlene wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am Instant coffee is illegal in western Alameda county.
:lol:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Plan accordingly.
I have 2 hand grinders, and drip makers that allow me to make just as good coffee over a camp fire.
The are modern portable grinders less than 2" in diameter and 7" long.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."