Re: Archery Summer Training with Group String Scoring

My first 40 Yard group (5 arrows) using traditional archery.
Posted below is the result after two ranging shots. The circumference is 38-1/4" (12.2 inches average diameter).

About four weeks ago I removed any sighting devices from my bows and joined the traditional archers. It was time to take off the training wheels and go for it.

Since last fall, using sights, I have identified many ways of how not to shoot accurately. Shooting with fingers and no sights has been an interesting journey. My arrows have taken a beating. As the groups got smaller at each distance the feather/nock repair time increased.

My last adjustment on the plunger to correct the horizontal spread looked ok at 30 yards. When I shot the arrows at 40 yards it appeared that I need to adjust the plunger to the right for target center. A three piece bow with riser has a threaded hole for an adjustable plunger to handle the archer's paradox. The wood bow maker cuts this shelf to a pre-determined dimension. If your arrow diameter or spline doesn't match the shelf dimension then cutting more or adding padding to correct the cutout dimension, then offset shooting is your best option.

My goal is to shoot 5 arrows at 40 Yards, grouping them into a 15 to 20” circumference. I’ll work on refining the preparation, breathing, anchor, forearm alignment, release, and follow through, Also arrow spline, plunger position and spring tension, string nock location, brace height and tiller.

At 40 yards you are basically starting to pick the fly doo-doo out of the pepper. A small change in the launch system means a big change at the target!

Having fun.

How are your arrows flying. Post some pictures. Tell us your story.

Pointfocus (P.M.O.E.)
Last edited by Pointfocus on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Zen in the Art of Archery.
Attachments
40 yards, 30 Lb. bow, Trad.
40 yards, 30 Lb. bow, Trad.

Nice. I like that you've abandoned the sighting mechanism. I think ultimately the brain is better.

If my wife goes up to visit her sick parents this weekend, I'll stash all the animals in the back room and shoot some 40 yarders to see what happens. To get that distance, I have to open the back door and the swinging kitchen door. As it so happens, it's 40 yards to the bag from right next to this computer--in the dining room, so I'll be shooting through the kitchen, through the laundry room and out the back door to the back wall.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

(CDFingers Quote)

“Nice. I like that you've abandoned the sighting mechanism. I think ultimately the brain is better.”

I agree. I used the sight to eliminate that variable while searching for the largest mistakes in arrow launching that enlarged the group size. Now its time to put it all together.

When you shoot the 40 yards from inside the house, please take a picture of the target from your shooting position for us. Oh, don’t worry; nobody at LGC would ever use it as blackmail to extort any premium beer from you. Trust us!

Pointfocus, (P.M.O.E.)
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)

40 Yard; second attempt.
String circumference is 23-1/2” (7-1/2 “ average diameter)

What’s Different?

1. Changed anchor point from string touching nose to string touching face and nose. The arrow groups tightened. On reflection I think you can’t have too many anchor points.

2. Tried different gloves and tabs. So far the tight fitting Damascus glove is best for me.

3. Tested several different arrows. Found gold with this one. Reduced the vane size from 3” to 2”. Groups tightened.
4. Changed the tip weight from 125 grains to 100 grains. Groups tightened.
5. Tried Easton 1716 Lite and 1616 Lite. So far, the 1816 Lite is still the best at 40 with a 30 Lb. bow. The arrow is uncut, 32” in all cases.
6. The warm up used is two arrows for loosening up then five arrows at 40 Yds. If it’s better than any time before stop and record the information. If not, continue until I hit the building. Time to quit.

Below are three pictures showing the target at 40 yards, the target, and then the accessories. The shinny glue in points are the 125 grain and the cut down one which weighs 100 grain. The two arrows are basically the old and the new.

Pointfocus,
P.M.O.E.
Attachments
Target as viewed by shooter
Target as viewed by shooter
Target, 40 Yards
Target, 40 Yards
Tools used
Tools used

Dandyone, welcome. I am valuing your comments.

Quote; I am so in on this. When I return from travels, it's straight to the range.

Valuing; “The pleasurable anticipation of a future event.”

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.

I was able to pic the 40 yard range for y'all. I haven't yet been able to shoot it yet due to all kinds of traffic. When it opens and I can shoot, I'll pic it.

Back at the fence, 40 yards away, we can see the plywood back stop. Then we see the resident giant cat, Mr. Hope. He's at about 20 yards. Just before the outside door, the farthest door jamb, there are three steps. At the bottom is where I usually shoot from. It's 27 yards. The next door jamb you see is between the kitchen and the service porch. The next door jamb you see is between the kitchen and the dining room. The wall on the right divides the dining and the living room. You can see some of the computer stick into frame on the right. That's where I'd shoot from when the range gets open.

CDFingers

Sundays and Thursdays. I'm glad I can do those. Sundays are more accurate than Thursdays for some reason--though I missed one Thursday a couple weeks ago. The plastic can is getting softened up, so pulling arrows from it is easier. With infrequent and hurried practice, I think I have "milsurp accuracy." This means I can always hit a bag sized target every time at the design distance--in this case 27 yards. Sooner or later the house will be available for a through-the-doors session.

Any archers reading here should just keep shooting to stay close to where you can get in shape.

My neighbor stays in shape because he says he hates getting back into shape. Even with this hectic schedule, I think I'm only four weeks from being able to do 50 shots at a session. We'll see in August when things open up.

CDFingers

My groups are not as good this summer as during the spring, likely due to a crushing schedule. However, I am gradually softening up this jug: the arrows pull out easier now, but, as you can see, there are many spots left without holes. I think this jug is going to last me a while, which is good.

Sooner or later I'll be able to shoot from inside the house.

CDFingers

I was able to get off two shots today from 40 yards with my recurve. Narrative below.

It's been a while since I posted some archery stuff.

I got off two rounds before my wife, who I thought was sleeping, came out the back room and asked whether I was going out back to shoot. "Why, yes. Yes I am, my dove. I'm going there directly, as you can see."

"Yes. Wearing your glove."

"I like to be prepared."

"With two arrows in the bag."

"Must be left over from last time."

"Um-hm."

I hate it when that happens.

After doing the dishes, I took the pic then finished my shoot from out back.

These two shots--I took quite a bit of time with each one. There was still one cat unaccounted for--she was under the Nandina--so I was quite wary. I held some small tension while I focused my mind. As I drew, I kept focused on the nine by nine box--but aware that Cleo might pop out at any minute. A very interesting set of conflicting awarenesses. After the fact, she was quite far away, sleeping. But just the idea that she might wander in kept me on target.

Anyway, it was fun. I don't know if there are any archers left to post here. We shall see. I shoot therefore I am.

CDFingers