Re: Getting started in reloading

Back with more questions: I got 200 new nickle 45-70 cases primed. Next, I broke out my new Lee Bar Scale and Accurate 5744 powder, to go behind a 405 gr lead bullet. I read the directions and proceeded with the first case. I had the notion that I'd be close to filling the case (read that somewhere). However, I am far from it. Either that was the wrong notion, or I'm not using my scale right.

I think I set my scale correctly (32 gr for Lyman 5th Anniversary Book; 24.3 gr for the Lee Die directions). I then scooped some powder up with the Lee Dipper that came with the 45-70 dies. One scoop is WAY less than a case-full of powder, and one scoop tipped my scale immediately. To get the scale to balance, I'm using about half the Lee Dipper and then a trickler to get it to zero for me.

The only reason I stopped and came here to you guys is this:

1. Does it sound right that my 45-70 case has hardly and powder in it?
2. Why the big spread between Lyman (32 gr) and Lee (24.3 gr)?

Thanks for any insight.

P.S. This is my first round.

1) Yes. If you were putting in a full load of black powder it would indeed fill the case. Smokeless is much more energy dense than black, a 5744 load in 45-70 leaves quite a bit of space. Luckily its easier to set off than BP so that sounds normal.
2) If I had to guess I'd say that the Lyman data you're using is for the Winchester 1886 and the Lee load is for a Trapdoor.

45-70 usually has multiple load data sets for the old trapdoors, the not quite as old lever actions, and the modern rifles. The modern rifles are a lot stronger than the trapdoors so the loads can be much higher.

JamesRiley wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:02 am When seating lead bullets, is it normal to have a little lead shaved off? I have what I would describe as a "tiny" bit of lead around the neck that I flick off with a finger nail. These are new cases so I haven't belled the neck. Thanks.
It's not a reason to scrap them, shoot them and bell the neck next time.

Lee also publishes VERY conservative loads compared to other sources. And yeah, a slight shaving of lead on rifle isn't going to hurt anything. Not sure that I'd bell rifle rounds, but I also don't load a ton of lead bullets, as I'm usually using jacketed for rifle.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

My mistake was in thinking that I need not do any re-sizing or expansion steps with new brass. I had 200 rounds of new and 122 of once-fired. I started with the new, primed them, put in the powder and the bullet, and shaved a little lead off. Then I get to the once-fired brass and re-read the Lyman Manual, and the part about the two-step bell for straight-sided cases. I am doing that now on my once-fired brass and I'm eager to see how the bullets load. However, I guess I should also bell brand-new brass before loading it? I'm-a-larnin'.

Quick question: After all my reading, I had intended to clean all the lube off my sized brass before priming and powder. However, I'm using a spray lube that says it is not petroleum-based and won't hurt powder or primers. So, how crucial is it to clean it off? It's invisible to the eye and I can barely feel it. Maybe a slight "slick" or smoothness, but nothing I can perceive as interfering with chambering a round, or decreasing case capacity, or whatever.

Thanks.

I size and bell new straight wall cases (for revolvers) so I know the case mouths are round, the neck tension is the same, the bullets will seat without issue, and the crimp will be consistent.
I clean the lube off every time because I don't want anything in the chamber that can cause variations in pressure, and because if you don't, you get cruddy buildup in the extractor grooves.

JamesRiley wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 pm My mistake was in thinking that I need not do any re-sizing or expansion steps with new brass. I had 200 rounds of new and 122 of once-fired. I started with the new, primed them, put in the powder and the bullet, and shaved a little lead off. Then I get to the once-fired brass and re-read the Lyman Manual, and the part about the two-step bell for straight-sided cases. I am doing that now on my once-fired brass and I'm eager to see how the bullets load. However, I guess I should also bell brand-new brass before loading it? I'm-a-larnin'.

Quick question: After all my reading, I had intended to clean all the lube off my sized brass before priming and powder. However, I'm using a spray lube that says it is not petroleum-based and won't hurt powder or primers. So, how crucial is it to clean it off? It's invisible to the eye and I can barely feel it. Maybe a slight "slick" or smoothness, but nothing I can perceive as interfering with chambering a round, or decreasing case capacity, or whatever.

Thanks.

You don't really need to do a full length resize on new brass, but you would need to bell the case mouth if your bullet/case combo needs it.

As for wiping off lube, I do it. I find that cases that you leave the lube on tend to oxidize more. After resizing I just give them a quick wipe down with a paper towel.

I just did several hundred 200gr .452 lswc bullets with 5.2gr of Ramshot Competition but ran out of those bullets.

I'm learning about the struggles of working with what you have available, when you can't find load data for it. I bought several hundred .452 250gr lead, round, flat point bullets at Murdochs. I have Ramshot Competition and Accurate 5744 on hand. I have several hundred more cases with CCI #300 LP primers, cleaned, sized, trimmed and ready to go. I find data for 255gr, but not 250gr. As a novice, I don't want to take chances.

I did find a guy on the interwebs called "M.D. Smith's Reloading Pages". He says I can use 5gr of the Competition or 16gr of the 5744. Does that sound safe to you folks?

I'm just plinking. Thanks in advance for any insight.

(P.S. Any comments on "QuckLoad" software?)

Western/Accurate/Ramshot has data for those loads on-line. 250, 255 is plenty close enough to use the same data. Use the 14,000 psi data for the 255 grain lead bullets.

5744 is a pretty slow-burning powder to use in a low-pressure revolver round. With 5744, I would expect best results with loads close to Ramshot's listed maximum, which is still under 14,000 psi. Too low, and you might get ignition problems.

JamesRiley wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:36 am I just did several hundred 200gr .452 lswc bullets with 5.2gr of Ramshot Competition but ran out of those bullets.

I'm learning about the struggles of working with what you have available, when you can't find load data for it. I bought several hundred .452 250gr lead, round, flat point bullets at Murdochs. I have Ramshot Competition and Accurate 5744 on hand. I have several hundred more cases with CCI #300 LP primers, cleaned, sized, trimmed and ready to go. I find data for 255gr, but not 250gr. As a novice, I don't want to take chances.

I did find a guy on the interwebs called "M.D. Smith's Reloading Pages". He says I can use 5gr of the Competition or 16gr of the 5744. Does that sound safe to you folks?

I'm just plinking. Thanks in advance for any insight.

(P.S. Any comments on "QuckLoad" software?)
Buy a reloading manual that has the powder/cartridge/bullet you want and use that data, also look up loads from powder manufacturers (hodgon has a good database) using random person's recipe from the internet is not a great idea.

"Buy a reloading manual that has the powder/cartridge/bullet you want and use that data, . . . "

If you know of a manual that addresses Ramshot Competition, .452, lrnfp 250gr, I'm all ears/eyes. I couldn't find it.

I started the other way, with manuals (Lyman 50th and others ) but then could not get the powder/cartridge/bullets for it. The selection within 80 miles of here sucks. So, with the advice from Rust (thanks), and after reading my Lee die directions (if you can't find your bullet listed, use the data for the next heaviest), I'm going with that. The next bullet up is 255gr lswc.