UPDATING AGAIN! -- Member geographical location map?

I thought it would be interesting to see how the distribution of members here are situated in the U.S. or abroad. Any moderators feel like taking this up? Maybe a map of how many members are in each state. I'm not suggesting big-brother-mapping to your house or apartment, but it would be interesting to see the distribution of members in states/countries.

I love topo maps. I love maps, in general. I like graphs, too. They let me see a whole bunch of information at once.

Just thought this would be fun, if it's possible.

Edit: Maybe not even a map, but a list of # of members by state/country.

KV NOTE: (Sorry for the edit)

Link to map HERE: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 7,13.31543

KV NOTE part 2
This is now getting updated again. Apologies to everyone, life happens.

Re: Member geographical location map?

ErikO wrote:The PNW is too small on that map, Simmer. ;)

And MO might be too large...
I may be biased, but Simmer's map looks pretty accurate from where I'm standing.

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

I've done something similar on a motorcycle forum. We can do an unlisted google map with whatever degree of location the user wants.

Example:

KVoimakas, Dickinson County, Mi
and the little pushpin would be in the middle of the county.

Or we could do kestrel9000 (though he doesn't visit much) and just have VT with the pushpin in the middle of the state.

lgc visitor map.jpg

This isn't exactly the same thing but I did this a couple of months ago for something unrelated. Its a map of the last 200 visitors that visited the main website over one day. We get ~200-500 people visits to the main website per day (~100-300 unique visitors). Like I said, this isn't entirely the same thing but I think you will find the distribution very similar. We have members from all over the country.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

mark wrote:
lgc visitor map.jpg

This isn't exactly the same thing but I did this a couple of months ago for something unrelated. Its a map of the last 200 visitors that visited the main website over one day. We get ~200-500 people visits to the main website per day (~100-300 unique visitors). Like I said, this isn't entirely the same thing but I think you will find the distribution very similar. We have members from all over the country.
WTF is wrong with Utah, Montana and South Dakota? :lol:
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

mark wrote:
lgc visitor map.jpg

I know who that one pushpin in the UP is from. :D

ErikO wrote:
mark wrote:
lgc visitor map.jpg

WTF is wrong with Utah, Montana and South Dakota? :lol:

No one actually lives there. :)
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

GuitarsandGuns wrote:White Pages - for your neighborhood
Go to the web site below and put in your address. You will get satellite picture showing the name, address and phone number of EVERYONE in your immediate area.

http://neighbors.whitepages.com
Great way to see which houses nearby are uninhabited. Also, our lack of a landline is not a bad thing. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Simmer down wrote:
members by state.png
It looks like this.
Kinda odd, since everybody (everybody from Tennessee anyway) knows Texas is a large suburb of Tennessee! :yahoo:
Jim

"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." Robert Anton Wilson
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a moonless night, and the anger of a gentle man." Patrick Rothfuss

Please put me down for Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, TX, same as Simmer Down.

Which begs the question, how will it work if more than one person live at one area/location? I'm thinking a nice cluster will start showing on the map?

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Xela wrote:Please put me down for Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, TX, same as Simmer Down.

Which begs the question, how will it work if more than one person live at one area/location? I'm thinking a nice cluster will start showing on the map?

Xela
The clutter will un-clutter itself when you start to zoom in into a particular region. The clusters are cool cause you can see where the concentration of members are. This would serve the leadership will when planning future events. :crockett:

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22