Re: Ruger Security Six, Please Opine

It was Rugers Kframe. I bought one for my wife back in the 70s before we got married. Its a typical Ruger gun very robust but not as refined as a Smith. We had to sell the gun in 76 when we moved to the other end of the state and she has been pissed about ever since. Not sure what they go for now but if its in good condition they are one hell of a gun. Ruger never should of stopped making them.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Solid as a tank & reliable too. Ugly and heavy to my eye, but that adds to the reliability. I personally prefer S&W K frames; that said, it's a good weapon. Around here, that price would be high. I paid $400 for a near mint S&W Model 10 at the last gun show I was at. OTOH, there were far fewer Rugers made than M&P's over the past 113 years ;)

Six of one; half a dozen of the other. Does it feel good in hand? That's probably more important.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I've never shot the GP100 but I own a sp101 and a Redhawk in 44mag and I feel the security 6 is the best DA revolver that Ruger ever made. Why they dropped it is beyond belief. Thats the gun they should have made the 32HR and 327 and 22 on. Those guns would be big sellers if they did.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I have owned several of them. It is one of the best .357 revolvers ever made by anybody, and I really like the 6" barrel...even the 4" is pretty bulky to carry concealed, so go for the longer barrel to get it all out of the magnum round. In this condition, with the box, I'd jump on it immediately. It takes them 20 years of shooting till they smooth up, but you will have that revolver for several generations. They stopped making them because they were too expensive to make and sell at what Ruger thought was a reasonable price.

FWIW, the PA State Troopers carried 6" stainless Security Six revolvers back in the late 1970's...Looked like they were carrying a cannon.

ADDED: They are so reliable that when in production, Ruger's repair department for the Six Series was 1 person.

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

LS3Miata wrote:I'm glad to see this thread. I'm going to look at a speed six 2.75" and a security six 4" tomorrow, supposedly both in excellent condition. $825 for the pair which seems to be in alignment with what I see here.
I had a Speed Six 2.75 once and it is a great revolver, the easiest short barrel .357 to actually shoot...it weighs a lot, but it will last for another hundred years at least and still be usable.

Hope you get the deal.

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

So far I can't get the guy to budge off his price. I've been after him to give me a package deal on the Ruger and a SW model 10 he also has listed. The Smith is sort of a beater although he describes it as very nice. Pics don't back up his description. Oddly he hasn't sold either and has had them listed for at least a week.

dogngun wrote: I had a Speed Six 2.75 once and it is a great revolver...Hope you get the deal.
Picked them up today. The 2.75" Speed Six still had the original box, wrapper, and paperwork. Serial number indicates both were made in 81/82

To the OP, $399 isn't a bad price for the gun you are looking at. If you want it buy it, the $25 you might get off won't matter in a few months, but if you want it and it is sold, you will remember it.

LS3Miata wrote:
dogngun wrote: I had a Speed Six 2.75 once and it is a great revolver...Hope you get the deal.
Picked them up today. The 2.75" Speed Six still had the original box, wrapper, and paperwork. Serial number indicates both were made in 81/82

To the OP, $399 isn't a bad price for the gun you are looking at. If you want it buy it, the $25 you might get off won't matter in a few months, but if you want it and it is sold, you will remember it.
Yeah, I'm starting to feel that way myself. Fortunately I've had time to think it over. Wheel guns don't sell too fast around here for some reason.

Security-Sixes totally rock. Terrific firearms, in my opinion better balanced for carry than the GP-100 (another fine Ruger firearm). You've got to decide whether you want a shooter gun or a collector gun. Every gun I've bought was meant to be, and has been, utilized and practiced with regularly. I personally don't believe in "collector gun" safe-queens.

I think it was John Taffin or someone like that who spoke of a Security-Six rental gun at a range that had--to their knowledge--over a million rounds through it with only regular cleaning maintenance on it. No parts breakage. I don't know how many of those rounds were .357 Magnum rounds, but a million-plus rounds of .38 Special ain't nothin' to sneeze at, either.

That does seem a little high for a Security-Six. Four years ago this month, i. e. before the November 2008 election, you probably could've gotten that gun for $250. 44 Magnum Redhawks in fine condition regularly sell even on overpriced Gunbroker for $450.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

I sold a GP-100 .357 awhile back and have always regretted it. Best wheelgun I've ever fired. Was a 4-inch stainless.

Just picked up another one this evening, blue six inch. Can't wait to test it!
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

I have an old 4" SS Security Six 357 that must have had 20,000 rounds (med level loads) through it before if fell into my hands. It has seen the bottom of the South Platte River (I used to live in Nebraska - now it is Idaho) and also seen the bottom of a foot of cow shit. (It was easier to fish out of the river). It is a true 'mud' gun (or shit gun, or swamp gun) yet it still goes bang bang bang. My standard load is a 170 gr Keith Style SWC at around 1000fps...(or whatever is on sale).

I'd say they are tough enough.

Dave
The most practical kind of politics is the politics of decency.
Theodore Roosevelt

My grandpa's old one is now currently my sister's nightstand gun. Thing must have close to 25k rounds down it, including a fair share of Speer 158gr JHPs and probably a goodly amount of my old man's hardcast wadcutters.

You're kids will be handing down that gun to their kids in all likelihood.
This place can go fuck itself.

What I found interesting is that Security Six’s were a $400 gun at the beginning of the thread (2012). They are a $650 - 700 gun all day around here and more scarce than a K Frame. I was searching on The second hand market about a year ago and settled on a 4” Stainless K-Frame - a $50 premium over the security six.

I’ve had almost every .357 handgun In The Ruger line up - SP-101, GP100, Blackhawk, but never scored a deal on a Security Six. I love K - Frames, but I’d be hard pressed to choose between Smiths or Rugers (if I had to) they both have their own charms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onebohemian wrote:Seeing as how the original link from so long ago was apparently shut down by the feds, figured we needed a pic or two of a Security Six. Here's my late-1979 model:

I love it. Especially with the T-grip. Bet it’s a shooter too. Every Ruger .357 mag I’ve owned has been dead nutz on.

It's amazing how the Security-Six has appreciated in value over the years. Having had my own apart many times for cleaning, and having cleaned our range's GP100 quite a bit, I can say that they use almost the same exact mechanism internally. The Security-Six, unlike the original Redhawk, uses a two-spring system, one for the trigger and one for the hammer, just like the GP100 and Super Redhawk do. The Security-Six with its half-underlug barrel feels well balanced, while the GP100's full-underlug barrel is a bit barrel-heavy. Depends on personal preference, because both approaches have merit. The other major difference between a Security-Six and a GP100 is the square butt of the Security-Six, vs. the peg-grip style of the GP100.

If someone can find a Security-Six in decent condition, it's a mighty fine choice. I love them.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote:It's amazing how the Security-Six has appreciated in value over the years. Having had my own apart many times for cleaning, and having cleaned our range's GP100 quite a bit, I can say that they use almost the same exact mechanism internally. The Security-Six, unlike the original Redhawk, uses a two-spring system, one for the trigger and one for the hammer, just like the GP100 and Super Redhawk do. The Security-Six with its half-underlug barrel feels well balanced, while the GP100's full-underlug barrel is a bit barrel-heavy. Depends on personal preference, because both approaches have merit. The other major difference between a Security-Six and a GP100 is the square butt of the Security-Six, vs. the peg-grip style of the GP100.

If someone can find a Security-Six in decent condition, it's a mighty fine choice. I love them.
I had a half lug GP-100 4” and the balance was better for my personal preference - just like a Kframe. I haven’t shot a Security six.