Re: "Assault weapons" ban is one thing, but full auto??

sikacz wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:07 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:00 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:50 pm Well you got four months to get another candidate other than biden and retool the democratic platform. Side note some countries have full elections in less.
Just keep ignoring the inconvenient fact that every time the Dems have done that since the Civil War, they lost the Presidential Election.

"The definition of insanity is -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."--Albert Einstein.
Then you get the trump you deserve. Many of us have said what we want and need. I get biden emails asking support all the time, yet he has no interest in the issues I want or don’t want. It is definitely insanity to keep voting for the lesser bad choice, every time the choices have become worse. Do yourself a favor, don’t quote my posts. You won’t change my opinion and I’m not likely to change yours.
When you keep making ridiculous statements like this I can't help by correct them. I don't really know WHAT you want other than unlimited access to any and all firearms for just about anyone with no restrictions, rational or otherwise. I also don't know WTF you think Biden has done that is terrible unless you can't stand that he's spent 4 years cleaning up the stinkin' mess Felonious Trump left on our economy, our foreign relations, our health care systems, our constitution, or the 1.2 million dead from Covid that's at least a million more than it would have been. Had he still been President, the dead would have reached 2 million, unemployment would be 10%, and interest rates would be over 10%.

Dammit, man, Felonious has TOLD us what he plans to do, and how he plans to do it! Obviously you are incapable of learning from History, or WHY History tells that replacing Biden WILL lead to Felonious as dicatator.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

featureless wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:51 pm
"The definition of insanity is -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."--Albert Einstein.
You mean like voting for the lesser of two evils election after election and expecting improvement? 🙂
Exactly.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:08 am
You mean like voting for the lesser of two evils election after election and expecting improvement? 🙂
Exactly.

Yes and whichever candidate slithers past the post first, will claim a mandate to enact his policies. He won't have a mandate but he'll still claim one. Change the gender or race or sexual orientation of the candidates and it wouldn't make a bit of difference, the system is f-ked up. As long as the political parties keep nominating unpopular candidates and billionaire money pushes out individual donations, there is nothing democratic about the process.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:42 am
Exactly.

Yes and whichever candidate slithers past the post first, will claim a mandate to enact his policies. He won't have a mandate but he'll still claim one. Change the gender or race or sexual orientation of the candidates and it wouldn't make a bit of difference, the system is f-ked up. As long as the political parties keep nominating unpopular candidates and billionaire money pushes out individual donations, there is nothing democratic about the process.
Why? Citizens United opened up the floodgates. How did we get a Court like that? George Bush appointed John Roberts to replace Rehnquist and Alito to replace Sandra Day O'Conner. Why was Bush able to do this? Because he BARELY got (maybe) less than 600 more votes than Gore in Florida. But the Florida Supreme Court UNANIMOUSLY voted to have a full recount (and the most reputable post-mortems show Gore would have won). Had Gore won, Rehnquist would have been replaced with a Democrat. O'Conner would have TRIED to out-last him but....maybe would have left anyway.
But the recount NEVER happened because the SCOTUS voted 5:4 for Bush, including Crooked Clarence, whose wife would lose her job it Bush lost. Had he recused, the Florida Court's ruling would have been upheld (a tie means the lower court's ruling is not overturned) --and Gore would be President.

BUT, back in 1992, when Crooked Clarence was nominated, not wanting the Senate to look like it was "Borking" Clarence (tho Bork fully DESERVED to be "Borked", the prick), Biden as the head of the Senate committee stacked the deck in favor of the nominee, despite AMPLE evidence he was a sexual predator, a liar, and unqualified to be a Justice. 52:48. Had Biden had the gumption to let ALL the testimony against CC come out, he never would have been confirmed.

BUT had all the people who were "too honorable to vote for the lesser of two evils" and voted for Ralph Nader HAD "held their noses" and voted for Gore, especially in Florida, we wouldn't be in this catastrophic MESS we're in! There never would have been a Bush v Gore case before the SCOTUS! Roberts wouldn't be the CJ, Citizens United would have been lost and campaign donations would be kept in check.

Actions have consequences, mostly unintended.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:42 am
Exactly.

Slithers is an appropriate description. It won’t change until people stop blindly voting for the two dumbo parties. The parties have usurped the power of the people. Eventually people need to take it back. It means not supporting the abusers, the two main parties.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

We live in a time when if all the people who REFUSED to vote for "the lesser of two evils" had put the nation FIRST and voted for Gore and Clinton, then 5 of the 6 radical reactionaries on the SCOTUS, Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett, would NEVER have been there and we'd have a 8:1 Liberal majority, and only old Crooked Clarence would be the fascist reactionary on the Court. THAT is what your so-called "HONOR" did to our nation and our democracy!

Accept your responsibility--you COULD have made the difference! And if you think Felonious Trump and The 6 will respect OUR rights as non-MAGAts to keep our guns, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you!

A Democratic dominated SCOTUS means there would never have been the Heller, McDonald and Bruen decisions. The Democratic dominated SCOTUS would have interpreted the 2nd Amendment as only applying to an "organized militia" i.e., the National Guard, there would be no "individual right" to own firearms. The 2nd Amendment would only apply to the federal government, not the states. And there would be no right to conceal carry outside the home. , And they would have upheld any assault weapons ban. SCOTUS would be just like the 9th Circuit, very predictable when it came to deciding firearms cases.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:23 pm A Democratic dominated SCOTUS means there would never have been the Heller, McDonald and Bruen decisions. The Democratic dominated SCOTUS would have interpreted the 2nd Amendment as only applying to an "organized militia" i.e., the National Guard, there would be no "individual right" to own firearms. The 2nd Amendment would only apply to the federal government, not the states. And there would be no right to conceal carry outside the home. , And they would have upheld any assault weapons ban. SCOTUS would be just like the 9th Circuit, very predictable when it came to deciding firearms cases.
Yup.

YT, I did vote for Gore. I also plugged my nose and voted for Clinton. What you proclaim wouldn't happen happened anyway. So, fuck it. Why keep voting for people I loathe slightly less?

featureless wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:46 pm
highdesert wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:23 pm A Democratic dominated SCOTUS means there would never have been the Heller, McDonald and Bruen decisions. The Democratic dominated SCOTUS would have interpreted the 2nd Amendment as only applying to an "organized militia" i.e., the National Guard, there would be no "individual right" to own firearms. The 2nd Amendment would only apply to the federal government, not the states. And there would be no right to conceal carry outside the home. , And they would have upheld any assault weapons ban. SCOTUS would be just like the 9th Circuit, very predictable when it came to deciding firearms cases.
Yup.

YT, I did vote for Gore. I also plugged my nose and voted for Clinton. What you proclaim wouldn't happen happened anyway. So, fuck it. Why keep voting for people I loathe slightly less?
It also would NEVER have given us Citizens United, Dobbs, nor gutted the Voting Rights Act , nor the Civil Rights Act, upended Affirmative Action, nor refused to order the ratified ERA to be recognized as the 28th Amendment. It wouldn't have meddled with the ACA, kept experts in agencies from acting in preference to ignorant lawyers and politicians. It would NEVER have threatened even the right to birth control and IVF! Just Citizens United alone has destroyed much of our balance in Democracy. We've seen THIS Court defend gerrymandering, especially in Red states. We lost all that for enhanced gun rights. Without those decisions that allowed reactionary Whites to take control in Red states, Donald Trump would NEVER have gotten out of the starting gate in 2015.

You are far, FAR more likely to need ALL of the things they have destroyed, than need to shoot someone. Open your eyes!

I was quite happy to spend my life without owning firearms. I thought I'd never need to worry about having to use deadly self-defense. But I was 61 years old when that all changed, on 8 Nov 2016. I now own 4 hand guns and 4 long guns. I DO enjoy shooting paper (though following surgery on my right thumb I am hesitant to risk damaging the recovering tissue by shooting). But it was the necessity of the rise of our native Brown Shirts, ie, the Red Hats that made me realize that reality had changed.

In response, Featureless, unless you were in a swing state, like the Nader voters in Florida in 2000, or the stay-at-homes in Mich, Wis, and PA in 2016, I get your point.

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:52 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:37 am I get your point.
And I yours.

All in all, we'll never get anywhere better while politicians worship at the feet of big money. And that won't change until the are reminded they work for us. Lots of icky choices on how to remind them.
Until Citizens United we actually had a real chance, but that Roberts Court decision killed it. "Corporations are people" who don't die, can't serve a prison term.

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:23 pm Well, Biden's got the surgeon general out call guns a health crisis. Gotta be at the assault weapon ban war drums as loudly as possible.
Agree, there’s no doubt in the agenda and biden’s ultimate goal. He’s a foolish old man and his opponent is the same.

It seems Hopeless - we need to repeal Citizens United but all of the people who can do that are in the pocket of the Oligarchy and lusting for those big Corporate "campaign funds" that we all know finds its way right into the pockets of the abusers. Even SCOTUS is compromised. I don't see a Way out of this.....less of a chance when disarmed which is, let's face it, the Final Solution for America. Disarm and fleece at will. Anyone who won't play along starves, is jailed, or succumbs to diseases wrought by climate change because of the lack of a comprehensive health care solutions.

Die Republik ist vorbei. Meiner Meinung nach.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

Dot 'em if ya got 'em!

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:11 pm It seems Hopeless - we need to repeal Citizens United but all of the people who can do that are in the pocket of the Oligarchy and lusting for those big Corporate "campaign funds" that we all know finds its way right into the pockets of the abusers. Even SCOTUS is compromised. I don't see a Way out of this.....less of a chance when disarmed which is, let's face it, the Final Solution for America. Disarm and fleece at will. Anyone who won't play along starves, is jailed, or succumbs to diseases wrought by climate change because of the lack of a comprehensive health care solutions.

Die Republik ist vorbei. Meiner Meinung nach.

VooDoo
Which is exactly the reason voting for the lesser of two evils is not going to bring change. To bring change you need to deny the abuser the one thing they absolutely need, votes. They can have all the money in the world, but if the people refuse to vote in the politicians that perpetuate the system, they will lose and eventually change will happen.

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:09 pm Pretty lame to politicize the attorney generals office to manufacture a crisis. Especially when data shows homicide rates dropping.
Did you meant the surgeon general or attorney general? Both also apply since there’s no pandemic of gun violence. Totally agree. It makes any future declarations by the surgeon general suspect as politically motivated. More powder for pandemic deniers and anti-vaxxers.

sikacz wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:40 pm
featureless wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:09 pm Pretty lame to politicize the attorney generals office to manufacture a crisis. Especially when data shows homicide rates dropping.
Did you meant the surgeon general or attorney general? Both also apply since there’s no pandemic of gun violence. Totally agree. It makes any future declarations by the surgeon general suspect as politically motivated. More powder for pandemic deniers and anti-vaxxers.
Sorry, the surgeon one, not the lawyer one,

And we're basing this on the "guns are the biggest killer of children" after excluding the 20k plus infant mortality figure and including 18 to 19 year olds to make the math work. I fucking hate the dishonest bullshit factory our government has become.

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:48 pm
sikacz wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:40 pm
Sorry, the surgeon one, not the lawyer one,

And we're basing this on the "guns are the biggest killer of children" after excluding the 20k plus infant mortality figure and including 18 to 19 year olds to make the math work. I fucking hate the dishonest bullshit factory our government has become.
Agree totally not cool. Hurts people’s trust in the office.

My position has been, for some time, that the problem is not Marjorie Taylor Greene, or Trump, or any of the others. They're a symptom. My position is that the problem is that a majority of voters in those places elected them. The problem is the voters, not the officials.

So, there also exists a large, large contingent of voters that insist on voting for the lessor of two evils. Those folks will continue to exist, just like the majorities that elected the folks above will continue to exist.

Replacing Trump et al does not solve the problem of his followers.

So, sikacz, what is your plan for solving the problem that the overwhelming majority of voters are happy with the lessor of two evils?

(I kid, of course. You don't have a plan beyond making cheap and free posts to insignificant gun boards.)

Democrats, Republicans and Independents have split voters right down the middle. Each side believes their opponents are extremists and they dismiss them. Democrats hate Trump personally and Republicans hate Biden personally, there are differences based on issues but it's mainly personal. In the coming months, this election will come down to the "double haters" and the undecided voters and 6 tossup states that have the real power in this election. If we're not in a tossup state, the two parties just want our money and to hell with what we think, they'll tell us to just f-off.