Re: Sig Sauer loses lawsuit with $2.3M judgement

This made me think of an earlier incident where a single action revolver self discharged, also got some media attention. I'm not really up on all the latest, so looked at the article and also into the product. I was unaware this is the new handgun for military issue. When I was in, it was the 1911, guess I'm a bit out of step. From what I can tell, the govt. variant uses an external safety vs not on the civilian.

If you had to guess that there's more to this than just operator error, what would it be? If not an actual mechanical fault, then perhaps ergonomics, or just not holster friendly? I have never carried, but as I get older and people get more worrisome, I'm reconsidering.

I’m pretty skeptical about guns firing by themselves unless they have been tampered with and modified from original. Thinking you didn’t touch the trigger, some part of the holster or clothes didn’t catch is easy for anyone that thinks they don’t make mistakes. No experience with this model either, so my skepticism will be just my own instincts. I’m sure this will fuel the guns are bad argument from the anti crowd.

Just looked this is a striker fired gun, so it shares some characteristics with Glock. I’m pretty convinced that “Glock leg” is a user error. I don’t have plans for a striker fired handgun. Nothing about them makes me feel they are worth it.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I think Sig will win this suit if what appeared in the article is true:
“Sig Sauer does not believe that the plaintiff has met his burden to prove the P320 model pistol was designed defectively or negligently as claimed,” the company said in a statement. “There are no facts on the record to support that Mr. Lang’s discharge claim was the result of anything other than his own negligent handling causing him to pull the trigger on the P320 pistol.”
All there is to go on is the shooter's statement. There are no "facts" in evidence to support his claim. His character will be severely impeached at the trial.

I will continue to claim that a double action revolver is the safest carry weapon.

CDF
Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see.

I agree and I think this will be overturned on appeal. Unless a panel of experts is able to replicate the same situation a number of times, the evidence just comes down to user error and it also reminds me of Glock leg. It also reminds me of lawsuits years ago where women accused the manufacturers of silicone breast implants with the implants causing their breast cancer. Many juries found for the plaintiffs, but there wasn't any scientific evidence to prove it. Passion or beliefs not based on evidence, are not facts.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:52 am I agree and I think this will be overturned on appeal. Unless a panel of experts is able to replicate the same situation a number of times, the evidence just comes down to user error and it also reminds me of Glock leg. It also reminds me of lawsuits years ago where women accused the manufacturers of silicone breast implants with the implants causing their breast cancer. Many juries found for the plaintiffs, but there wasn't any scientific evidence to prove it. Passion or beliefs not based on evidence, are not facts.
Word. Well said.

Pretty sure this was user error and evaluated/judged by people who don't understand how pistols work.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

Dot 'em if ya got 'em!

sikacz wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:14 am I’m pretty skeptical about guns firing by themselves unless they have been tampered with and modified from original. Thinking you didn’t touch the trigger, some part of the holster or clothes didn’t catch is easy for anyone that thinks they don’t make mistakes. No experience with this model either, so my skepticism will be just my own instincts. I’m sure this will fuel the guns are bad argument from the anti crowd.

Just looked this is a striker fired gun, so it shares some characteristics with Glock. I’m pretty convinced that “Glock leg” is a user error. I don’t have plans for a striker fired handgun. Nothing about them makes me feel they are worth it.
I cannot believe that the P320, even PRIOR to the recall, er "voluntary upgrade" EVER accidentally discharged this way. The ONLY way the pre-recall model was EVER shown to do this was when it was dropped in precisely the wrong way on the back end of the slide. Sig claims the free, voluntary recall fixed that. I sent mine in and got it back in about a week with a new trigger and other assorted pieces of the FCU.

I hope Sig's attorneys provide a more compelling case that this cannot possibly be anything but user error when, unlike the butt-end slide discharge, it cannot be replicated.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."