Re: How’s the weather

Where I live, just down hill from the 2018 Camp Fire, there's not much left to burn near the towns. So locally, it's very safe for us this year.

For those who have not yet burned, apparently as good as fire at clearing out underbrush, is goats.

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/10/11929052 ... prevention

if you add sheep to the mix, you get down to the roots.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... 20flourish.

The best feta is a mix of goat and sheep milk.

https://sporked.com/article/best-feta/

So, when Smokey the Bear says that only you can prevent forest fires, he's really making pasta suggestions for dinner.

Feed the inner bear and prevent wild fires. ;-)

CDF
Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see.

Goats and sheep are in the plan but have to finish the house first. Unfortunately, we need fencing and I just don't have the time, money or energy for that venture at present. We'll have a permanent pasture and then rotate them through areas with portable electric fences. But we've also got mountain lions and coyotes...

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:05 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:43 pm Not a good sign featureless, like the grim reaper on the horizon.
No, not a good sign. Two years of above average rainfall after a long drought and there is just a ton of fuel on the ground. And a lot of dead trees.

We've been doing weed control since March and are in good shape there with 100 plus feet clean in all directions and about 10 feet of bare dirt or concrete immediately around the house. My biggest worry is a crown fire. I just can't bring myself to clear cut our oaks. I've been thinning them some and all the brush with the 100 foot zone is either gone or maintained low to the ground. Been in the process of limbing up lower limbs as high as I can reach with a 6 foot pole chainsaw. Still have to get the fire pump started to make sure it feels like working. Two generators on hand with ample fuel for each. I fucking hate fire season.
That's a lot of work besides a full time job and it's never ending. I had a lot of trees removed and the rest cut back, the Palo Verde trees keep coming back so I'm out with tree killer. Had the roof replaced, having the house repainted and a few more trees removed. Trees near a house used to be nice for shade, now they're potential fire hazards.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The forecast here still has a significant amount of rain, but the storm is projected to go more south than previously forecast. Stay safe. Not going anywhere tomorrow.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Every year my city hires these goats:
CHICO — Goats have returned to Bidwell Park, bringing their voracious appetites for the types of vegetation humans don’t want to have around.

Chico officials said by way of a press release that Capra Environmental Services of Rancho Cordova has provided between 200 and 500 goats for use in removing invasive plants, beginning this week. The goats were working the area directly south of Wildwood Park, across Wildwood Avenue, on Friday.

Numerous pedestrians and bicyclists paused to watch and photograph the goats in action; all of the people were smiling with delight as the quadrupeds led the assault on such vegetation as star thistle, puncture vine and poison ivy. Aside from the occasional passing car, only the sounds of the goats’ eager munching — and the periodic territorial disputes between goats — broke the quietude of the morning.

--snrp--

Goats are effective in controlling many types of non-native plants, even thorny ones, as the goats consider those to be crunchy treats. They also “elevate” the vegetation, getting it off the ground and reducing the chances for “ladder fuels” for fires.
https://www.chicoer.com/2023/07/28/goat ... ff-photos/

think it's all about the cheese.

CDF

I was in Palm Springs today, it was 110F but very low humidity. The air was smoky because there is a fire in the Coachella Valley. Got home and it's 95F, there are winds that's blowing the smoke from the north and south fires to the east.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:50 pm I was in Palm Springs today, it was 110F but very low humidity. The air was smoky because there is a fire in the Coachella Valley. Got home and it's 95F, there are winds that's blowing the smoke from the north and south fires to the east.
Hot and smoky is the worst. As you know, I've been there. Drink lots of water.

CDF

YT and dry the typical late June, July and August summer. Maybe with a tropical storm/ hurricane thrown in for variety.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

We're into summer and the nights aren't cooling off, at 5 am it's 80F with a high today forecasted to be 100F. And the forecast into the future is 98F to 100+F every day. The historical record high for this date in my area was 121F, so it's been much worse.

Yes temps are increasing, 101F yesterday and forecast for 110F on Friday and Saturday. 100 + everyday for at least the next 10 days. Humidity is very low. My area is better than the low desert where 117-118F are daily temps. Thankfully no wildfires right now in my area.