A friend in PR China has some questions

As many know, I lived in PR China for several years. A Chinese friend of mine is working on a paper and has some questions. I started to just answer them, and I will do so. However, I thought it would be more enlightening for him if I put those questions in a more open forum so that he could see a variety of answers.

With that preface, here are some questions. I have not Americanized the grammar:
  1. What are Americans’ view about houses?
  2. What are Americans’ major home activities?
  3. What are Americans’ major leisure pursuits?
  4. What are major sports activities in the United States?
  5. Why does higher education in the United States enjoy high reputation?
  6. What are the goals and purposes of education in the United States?
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Re: A friend in PR China has some questions

As a Chinese American from Taiwan here in SoCal here are some answers that may seems familiar to your friend in Mainland China:
1) Houses are primarily investments. If you rent, you are wasting your money. Even better if you can manage to get rental property.
2)Gardening. Tending to fruit trees. Growing vegetables is for peasants.
3)I love Argentine Tango. Outside of work I am surprised that many people do like to take up social dance (although ballroom because that’s seems to be more prestigious).
4)Baseball seems popular. Or American football. Or Basketball. I don’t really watch or play any of them because I spend my free time studying Tango.
5)For Asian Americans immigrants, higher education is the key to financial security. This country doesn’t give a bleep about immigrants without money and we know that cold hard reality.
6)Financial security.

Having said that I seem to be doing everything wrong according to my heritage. I’m the one who will go onstage as a comedian telling self-deprecating jokes.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

My views of what "America" thinks may be a little cynical. So as an American, I can give MY view.

What are Americans’ view about houses?
Nice that some are still affordable for the lower middle class, but that's going away at a rapid pace as corporations are buying up rental housing. Mark my words, we will hear more about how this screws up the housing market. In cities housing is less and less affordable as prices increase, while the middle class decreases. Its nice being a home owner in the US, good tax advantages, and generally a very solid investment.

What are Americans’ major home activities?
Keeping up the home...I live on a small ranch, so lots of work to do. But its the fun kind of work.

What are Americans’ major leisure pursuits?
I consider myself lower middle class. I go camping, go to the lake on the weekends. Ski in the winter. And I shoot as much as I can.

What are major sports activities in the United States?
Leisure sports are all over the place, but professional is still all Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey. But Soccer is up & coming, as are women's sports.

Why does higher education in the United States enjoy high reputation?
I think the elite colleges manage to produce some high profile people, and people confuse that with the overall US higher education system. Personally, I think education in the US is terrible, especially higher education. The BIGGEST barriers to getting a degree are the colleges themselves. And of course, the cost. Higher education ought to be much easier for everyone, but its hard to change a fully entrenched "system"

What are the goals and purposes of education in the United States?
Basic education - Reason without questioning. Basically, we don't want you thinking too much on your own. Higher education - The goal is to support the colleges and universities, not educate our students. For the student, its the hope of higher paying jobs and a more financially secure future. Some students still hold out altruistic goals of bettering our world, and that gives hope.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

1. What are Americans’ view about houses?
    Currencies and stock markets go up and down, but owning a house and land is owning something that is finite. Bill Gates, John Malone, Ted Turner and other billionaires invested in land, which holds its value over time. American views on home ownership depends on age, income level and interest rates.
  2. What are Americans’ major home activities?
    If you own a home, there are always projects to complete. If you rent, it might just be a stop over place for individuals or families or a bed if you have multiple jobs.
  3. What are Americans’ major leisure pursuits?
    Depends on the age of the Americans in question, younger Americans might be into different team sports, hobbies, weekend hikes and some are into bars and clubbing to find hook ups . Do they own property or rent? It could be cooking, reading or nothing if they have multiple jobs where they work nights and weekends. If people have stressful M-F jobs, they might just de-stress by binge watching different series. If they are part of big families, there are always things going on.
  4. What are major sports activities in the United States?
    American football still tops the polls and that includes not only professional football, but college and high school football. I personally prefer real football (soccer) and baseball, but I'm outnumbered.
  5. Why does higher education in the United States enjoy high reputation?
    The US and western Europe are known for their world class universities. They not only educate the best and brightest of the next generation in their countries and internationally, but they are known for the research they produce and the caliber of their academic staff. Research advances science and technology and it improves our lives. They educate the shakers and movers that are the true "influencers" in science, business, government and the arts.
  6. What are the goals and purposes of education in the United States?
    The goal of education, that's a huge open ended question. Education improves a persons quality of life, it makes them a more enlightened citizen, helps them advance financially and professionally. And to use the old psychological term, it helps them achieve self actualization or self fulfillment and helps them better understand people and the world around them.

Just a few thoughts after mild caffeination.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

By the way, a big difference in houses is that in PR China the provincial government and city own the land. Further, one of the main sources of funding is from the sale of land. The result is that the land is not, by Western standards, sold. It is leased. These leases can be from 20 to 70 years, but around 40 is the most common. At the end of the term the property returns to the city and province and can be resold.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Hasaf wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:51 pm By the way, a big difference in houses is that in PR China the provincial government and city own the land. Further, one of the main sources of funding is from the sale of land. The result is that the land is not, by Western standards, sold. It is leased. These leases can be from 20 to 70 years, but around 40 is the most common. At the end of the term the property returns to the city and province and can be resold.
The City of Baltimore was like that when I was little. We 'owned' a row house but the land and improvements on that property were actually leased for 99 years from the city.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

The only similar situation that I can think of is Palm Springs, CA where every second mile is Native American land. Normally tribal members lease their land for 99 years. This and what sig mentioned are isolated cases in the US. Sounds like people in China have little incentive to own a home and pass it along to family.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It rankles some in overseas countries that the top universities in the world are concentrated in English speaking countries and the EU. The US, UK, Canada and Australia plus Germany, France Italy, Switzerland, Sweden...Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Cal Tech, Berkeley, Princeton, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Imperial... And that the standard three levels of academic degrees (bachelor, master, doctor) evolved in the UK.