Oregon county voted on secession to Idaho.

Conservative residents in eastern Oregon are ready to part ways with their liberal neighbors to the west, looking to secede from the state and join Idaho. Conflicting views on crime and social policies have created a large divide between the bigger cities and rural areas, sparking efforts to secede. Among the largest pushes across the country, counties in eastern and portions of central Oregon are looking to be annexed by Idaho as a part of the “Greater Idaho” movement. If successful in seceding, Oregon’s border would shift 200 miles west, according to the measure. At least a dozen counties in eastern Oregon have approved ballot measures for the secession, telling local leaders they support the proposal. A vote on the plan will be held Tuesday, according to a USA TODAY report.

The ballot measure in Crook County asks: “Should Crook County represent that its citizens support efforts to move the Idaho state border to include Crook County?” “The Oregon/Idaho line was established 163 years ago and is now outdated. It makes no sense in its current location because it doesn’t match the location of the cultural divide in Oregon,” the movement said on its website. More than 25% of Americans support some sort of secession by states, a Colby College professor discovered from a 2023 study. Plus, a recent poll showed those in Idaho are strongly in favor of the proposal. But historically, initiatives like these don’t get much traction.
https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/w ... rn-border/

In yesterdays election, Crook County voted on relocation of the Oregon-Idaho border.
Yes - 52.95%
No - 47.05%
https://results.oregonvotes.gov/Results ... 12&map=CTY

Eastern Washington counties would probably vote in a similar way to become party of Idaho. Oregon and Washington would become like small New England states.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Oregon county voted on secession to Idaho.

Whatever happened to, “If you don’t like it, you can move?”
I mean, it isn’t like you even need a passport to drive a few miles over the border to Idaho. Go grow some spuds.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The Balkanization of the US is overdue. I'm still hoping the New Illinois Movement actually comes about. I'd love to leave the present Illinois without having to sell my home and move.

https://newillinoisstate.org/

I'm hoping it all works out for Oregon.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I don't think anything will come of all the secession talk because Oregon and Idaho would have to agree and so would Congress and I don't think it will happen. Multnomah (Portland), Lane (Eugene), Lincoln, Benton, and Hood River counties are staunchly Democratic and can outnumber voters in red counties. Those 5 blue counties plus Washington County were the ones that passed Measure 114 even though the remaining 30 counties in Oregon voted against it. It requires a permit to purchase a firearm, a mag limitation and has other restrictions. It's currently on hold in the courts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ballot_Measure_114
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Like with the State of Jefferson, there's too much tedious paperwork to do to get it done. The mechanisms exist legally to do these things. I just think no one has developed the right bunch of folks to get it done. I'm open to regional autonomy as a new state(s). Totally fine.

CDF
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:35 pm Like with the State of Jefferson, there's too much tedious paperwork to do to get it done. The mechanisms exist legally to do these things. I just think no one has developed the right bunch of folks to get it done. I'm open to regional autonomy as a new state(s). Totally fine.

CDF
And 2 more ReThug senators? No thankyou!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Crook County in Oregon was the 13th Oregon county to vote for secession.
Greater Idaho began in earnest in 2020 and quickly began gaining traction, with 11 of the state’s 36 counties voting to endorse the idea by 2022. Driving the force is a sharp political divide between the more sparsely populated, rural and conservative interior of Oregon, and the liberal coastal cities with population hubs like Portland and the state capital, Salem. If Greater Idaho were achieved, Oregon would lose two-thirds of its land but only about 10% of its population — a disparity which has left the conservative interior of the state feeling like their laws are being passed by people with no connection to their lifestyle and beliefs.

“The Oregon/Idaho line was established 163 years ago and is now outdated,” the movement’s website reads. “It makes no sense in its current location because it doesn’t match the location of the cultural divide in Oregon.” Greater Idaho seeks to include 17 counties in its movement, made up of 14 full counties and three partial counties. Even if the movement gets all the votes it needs, the process would be far from over. In order to secede, the state legislatures of both Oregon and Idaho would need to approve the measure, and then the US Congress would also need to approve. State borders have been redrawn in the past — including the territory of Maine becoming a state independent of Massachusetts in 1820 — but never before has a large swath of land and citizens seceded to join another state.
https://nypost.com/2024/05/22/us-news/1 ... ter-idaho/

https://www.greateridaho.org

featureless wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:00 am
Bisbee wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:30 pm Whatever happened to, “If you don’t like it, you can move?”
I mean, it isn’t like you even need a passport to drive a few miles over the border to Idaho. Go grow some spuds.
Meh. I'd prefer not to have to move to have an acknowledgement that rural living is different than urban living.
Exactly. Simply having urban population centers trample the rights of a minority is not acceptable. Especially when there are constitutional rights, the bill of rights involved. My first recollections of politics in the USA was when I had just arrived to the USA. I was told by many that in this country the rights of the minorities are protected. Of course telling this to a fresh immigrant is pretty insulting since it implies the immigrant came from a place where people’s rights were ignored. Now it is pretty clear it was either a myth or our system has totally reversed itself because the rights of minorities are definitely not protected. It doesn’t matter what minority you are ethnic, transgender or age group to list a few some other group is looking to limit your rights and succeeding.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:00 am
Bisbee wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:30 pm Whatever happened to, “If you don’t like it, you can move?”
Meh. I'd prefer not to have to move to have an acknowledgement that rural living is different than urban living.
Yup, 6 Oregon counties imposed gun restrictions on the remaining 30 Oregon counties who don't like it. Oregon's state economy would take a hit if they allowed secession because the central and eastern parts of the state are agricultural and livestock areas that provide needed state revenue. Similar to Idaho and eastern Washington which will probably join the movement.

We have something similar in CA where most of the coastal CA counties are blue and inland Central Valley counties are mostly red, the blue elites living on the coast run the state.

Wino wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:37 pm I'm all for Texas splitting into five states.
We have fought that battle, with who gets the Alamo and the Battleship Texas? Also who has to take Paxton, Abbott and especially Cruz?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Article 4, Section 3 of the US Constitution:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
Unless the legislatures of Oregon, Idaho, and the US Congress agree, their county by county votes don't mean shit.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/c ... e/2993937/
On Election Day in Illinois, ballots contained statewide questions ranging from whether or not to amend the state's constitution, to who should be the next Governor of Illinois, to who should sit on the Illinois State Supreme Court.

But some local ballots contained questions about whether to leave the state altogether.

Tuesday, two Illinois counties and a portion of another passed non-binding referendums that would encourage their elected officials to engage in discussions about potentially severing ties with the state government.

The votes were hardly a new phenomenon. Instead, they join a growing list of Illinois counties seeking to express their displeasure with lawmakers.

Previously, at least 24 counties had passed so-called “separation referendums,” according to reporting by Illinois Public Media. The three new additions to that list, Brown, Hardin, and the northeastern portion of Madison County, would bring that number to 27, representing more than 25% of the state’s 102 counties.

According to IPM, 23 counties had previously passed separation referendums after the 2020 elections, including Clark, Clay, Crawford, Cumberland, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Jasper, Hancock, Jefferson, Johnson, Lawrence, Marion, Massac, Moultrie, Pope, Richland, Shelby, Wabash, Wayne and Whiteside.

Edgar County also passed a similar referendum in 2021, according to the group Red State Secession.

Most of those counties passed the non-binding referendums with large majorities, including 72% of voters in Bond County and 60.7% of voters in Christian County.

In this year’s election, the ballot questions, all of which had similar wording, appeared in Brown and Hardin counties, as well as a portion of Madison County.
Not just Oregon but also my home state (and the county I live in!) will be voting in November to ditch Illinois. The vote is largely symbolic but the "New Illinois" movement is gaining strength and recognition. I'd pretty much chew my own leg off to get out of Illinois without having to move. I'm a huge proponent of a New Illinois.
There are three instances in U.S. history in which a portion of a state successfully seceded to create a new state: Kentucky which separated from Virginia in 1792, Maine separating from Massachusetts in 1820, and West Virginia, which also separated from Virginia, in 1863.
I'm hoping we see a New Illinois someday and I'm hoping the folks in Oregon who want to ditch it find a resolution as well. There are no resolutions to many of the issues that divide Americans and it's time for a divorce, in some circumstances, on the grounds of "Irreconcilable Differences".

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Not likely to happen as I said earlier, because Oregon wouldn't agree to give up territory, though Idaho welcomes it. Congress isn't likely to agree because it would open the floodgates around the US.

Switzerland which is about the size of Vermont and New Hampshire combined has 26 cantons similar to our states, but in sq miles they are more like counties. It's small so people are closer to their democratic institutions and there are referendums regularly so they voice their opinions. The US is so large that people feel alienated from their government and its institutions. Maybe 75 or 150 states is a better solution, time will tell.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:01 am https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/c ... e/2993937/

There are three instances in U.S. history in which a portion of a state successfully seceded to create a new state: Kentucky which separated from Virginia in 1792, Maine separating from Massachusetts in 1820, and West Virginia, which also separated from Virginia, in 1863.
The key word might be "successfully". Not sure this qualifies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Republic

highdesert wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:06 am Not likely to happen as I said earlier, because Oregon wouldn't agree to give up territory, though Idaho welcomes it. Congress isn't likely to agree because it would open the floodgates around the US.

Switzerland which is about the size of Vermont and New Hampshire combined has 26 cantons similar to our states, but in sq miles they are more like counties. It's small so people are closer to their democratic institutions and there are referendums regularly so they voice their opinions. The US is so large that people feel alienated from their government and its institutions. Maybe 75 or 150 states is a better solution, time will tell.
My point is that there are millions of people across America that are pretty much sick and tired and they want change. They might not succeed at this tack but as Illinois is doing, first we get the support of counties and then we form a new State. My point is that it's happening - people across America have had it with State and local jurisdictions that simply do not represent "We the People" and growing numbers of people are going to take action.

America is gonna try and reshape itself. It might not happen peacefully but I believe it can happen. People where I am, and apparently in Oregon, have had near enough now.

VooDoo
Last edited by VodoundaVinci on Fri May 24, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDFingers wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:35 pm Like with the State of Jefferson, there's too much tedious paperwork to do to get it done. The mechanisms exist legally to do these things. I just think no one has developed the right bunch of folks to get it done. I'm open to regional autonomy as a new state(s). Totally fine.

CDF
I only just saw an story about the State of Jefferson on a show called "How the States Got Their Shapes".

Great show.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Watch out if these states divide, then the Repugs, down here in Texas, will want to divide into five states and have confederation of the five. Giving us 10 US Senators and at least 20 House Representatives. All controlled by the likes of the current three Stooges Plus Cruz.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

How 'bout combining North & South Dakota, with Montana and Wyoming to form one single state, with a population slightly less than Puerto Rico, and FINALLY making that island a state? That would reduce 7 Republicans and 1 Dem senator to 2 republican senators, and add 2 Democrats from PR. I'd go for that. No state should have less than 1 million people!