NY Times interactive map of shooting fatalities 2020-2023 with lookup by city

The NY Times has an online interactive database map of shooting fatalities between 2020-2023. It excludes suicides and I know one such suicide that happened in my neighborhood during that period does not show so I believe the suicides are removed. It is interesting to compare where I live now with where I have lived in the past.

It's interesting that Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Corpus Christi and San Antonio seem to be far more dangerous than LA or New York or Boston. But the big takeaway for me is that even Average Gun Violence seems high.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Re: NY Times interactive map of shooting fatalities 2020-2023 with lookup by city

papajim2jordan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:03 pm Any level of violence other than zero is too high, but that's just us being human I dislike the term Gun Violence. It's people who are either peaceful or not, but putting the blame on the gun fits into the anti narrative. David DePape wasn't ever accused of hammer violence.

Waiting for Quinn.
Well they are looking at shooting homicides and an important additional factor is where those shooting happen demographically. That tends to be a good indicator of where root cause mitigation should be directed.
jim

Re: NY Times interactive map of shooting fatalities 2020-2023 with lookup by city

papajim2jordan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:38 pm The root cause is humans. Otherwise ordinary people fly planes into buildings, march Jews into gas chambers, toss gays off of rooftops, rape babies, enslave their fellow travelers, split atoms.

Eventually, Ghia will mitigate the root cause. Till then, it's all fun and games.
I, as an atheist, have killed exactly the number of people I felt I should kill. That number, by the way, is ZERO.

Same for rape, same for flying planes into buildings (I have some basic understanding of how to fly a plane, even though I have not completed the requirements to earn a license to fly a plane), same for tossing people off rooftops, etc.

Yes, the root cause is humans, and history is, in some respects, a study of humans being inhumane to other humans.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

This is a different version of the NY Times map that isn't blocked by their paywall. My county is the largest in the US in square miles and the county seat, the City of San Bernardino has a "high gun homicide rate" as the map describes it.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... s-map.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nothing in the past three years in my immediate neighborhood. With in a mile some and the majority in Houston seem to be located in areas with a mix of apartments, businesses, bars and major travelled streets. The nearest to me seem to be located on a street with a few restaurants and some old apartments. From observation the residents are not very well off. The number of deaths was over 1500 in a three year period. That breaks down with the yearly totals in past reports. If you clump multiple years together it sure looks bad. It does give you an idea where crimes are occurring as I noted. Nothing to freak out over though. Address the underlying causes for violence and those numbers will drop.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

TrueTexan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:04 am Would be interesting if they would also overlay the income of the area along with the shooting fatalities also the shootings where the victim is only wounded.
I suspect it would correlate with apartments and low income areas. The areas near me that have had shootings are surrounded by moderate to well to do. It can be just a few blocks or one group of apartments and then no shootings outside that area.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

highdesert wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 am This is a different version of the NY Times map that isn't blocked by their paywall. My county is the largest in the US in square miles and the county seat, the City of San Bernardino has a "high gun homicide rate" as the map describes it.
I hit a paywall at that link. Looked like one didn't have to sign up or log in but it wasn't clear on how to get around that.

BKinzey wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:48 am
highdesert wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 am This is a different version of the NY Times map that isn't blocked by their paywall. My county is the largest in the US in square miles and the county seat, the City of San Bernardino has a "high gun homicide rate" as the map describes it.
I hit a paywall at that link. Looked like one didn't have to sign up or log in but it wasn't clear on how to get around that.
Sorry, the New York Times and the Washington Post have tightened up their paywalls
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

BKinzey wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:48 am
What did you want? I'll see if I can get it for you.
jim