Re: Fourth Circuit rehears challenge to Maryland assault weapons ban

Orals in front of the CA4 en banc happened this morning. I didn't listen but read the highlights. We will either lose, be remanded for more fact finding or be held for Rahimi and then lose or be remanded...

I personally find it very disturbing that there is zero interest by the majority of the judges in CA4, CA7 and CA9 to even appear to follow Heller or Bruen. Hardware bans cases should be very simple under Heller without interest balancing. But every twist and turn to make the main thesis of To Kill a Mockingbird about a kid who finds things in a tree trunk is employed. Our court system is entirely corrupt. The spirit of the law is dead and partisanship is in total control.

featureless wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 am Orals in front of the CA4 en banc happened this morning. I didn't listen but read the highlights. We will either lose, be remanded for more fact finding or be held for Rahimi and then lose or be remanded...

I personally find it very disturbing that there is zero interest by the majority of the judges in CA4, CA7 and CA9 to even appear to follow Heller or Bruen. Hardware bans cases should be very simple under Heller without interest balancing. But every twist and turn to make the main thesis of To Kill a Mockingbird about a kid who finds things in a tree trunk is employed. Our court system is entirely corrupt. The spirit of the law is dead and partisanship is in total control.
Agree, I see no value to our court system if lower courts don’t adhere to higher court rulings. It becomes a matter of what political leaning a court has as to how it rules on a subject. Expect right wing lower courts to rule unfavorably on a variety of civil rights issues concerning protections of minorities and vulnerable population groups. Our system is no longer functional. The Supreme Court is becoming a joke with no credibility and no means to force lower courts to adhere to its rulings.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:48 am
featureless wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 am Orals in front of the CA4 en banc happened this morning. I didn't listen but read the highlights. We will either lose, be remanded for more fact finding or be held for Rahimi and then lose or be remanded...

Agree, I see no value to our court system if lower courts don’t adhere to higher court rulings. It becomes a matter of what political leaning a court has as to how it rules on a subject. Expect right wing lower courts to rule unfavorably on a variety of civil rights issues concerning protections of minorities and vulnerable population groups. Our system is no longer functional. The Supreme Court is becoming a joke with no credibility and no means to force lower courts to adhere to its rulings.
And somehow, as each tribe celebrates it's own wins and curses the other for losses, we miss that integrity is essentially to a court system.

I'm with Voodoo on this. There's no correction except for a gigantic meltdown and hope for a better phoenix to rise from the ashes. We will limp along to the bottom or the bottom will spectacularly fall out. Either way, we've got a significant pit ahead of us.

Sadly the courts have always had some partisan lean, it's just more apparent now as each party tries to stack federal and state courts in their favor. In the past there at least was the appearance of finding lawyers who were middle of the road. Now look no farther than the California Supreme Court and the Texas Supreme Court, they have definite partisan leans. The highest court in each state has always had problems keeping lower courts in line, not surprising it happens at the federal level. Here's hoping that SCOTUS picks up more gun cases next term.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 am

Sadly the courts have always had some partisan lean, it's just more apparent now as each party tries to stack federal and state courts in their favor. In the past there at least was the appearance of finding lawyers who were middle of the road. Now look no farther than the California Supreme Court and the Texas Supreme Court, they have definite partisan leans. The highest court in each state has always had problems keeping lower courts in line, not surprising it happens at the federal level. Here's hoping that SCOTUS picks up more gun cases next term.
Yes, I don't mean to claim courts have always been blind to bias. Far from it. However, these days we get to see it on live display via the YouTubes rather than just press takeaways run through the slant filter. Aren't they embarrassed?

featureless wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:44 am

Yes, I don't mean to claim courts have always been blind to bias. Far from it. However, these days we get to see it on live display via the YouTubes rather than just press takeaways run through the slant filter. Aren't they embarrassed?
Until the SCOTUS finds the means to get lower courts to adhere to rulings this will just get worse. I can’t believe there’s not a single mechanism that can be used on lower courts. They are all their own ideological fiefdoms.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:58 am

Until the SCOTUS finds the means to get lower courts to adhere to rulings this will just get worse. I can’t believe there’s not a single mechanism that can be used on lower courts. They are all their own ideological fiefdoms.
Historical example: dixiecrats massive resistance

Democrats are certainly not always on the right side of history.

featureless wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:30 am

And somehow, as each tribe celebrates it's own wins and curses the other for losses, we miss that integrity is essentially to a court system.

I'm with Voodoo on this. There's no correction except for a gigantic meltdown and hope for a better phoenix to rise from the ashes. We will limp along to the bottom or the bottom will spectacularly fall out. Either way, we've got a significant pit ahead of us.
It's good to be OLD.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

featureless wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:58 am

Historical example: dixiecrats massive resistance

Democrats are certainly not always on the right side of history.
They’re not on the right side of this issue either. What a surprise.

featureless wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:18 am Cert request denied. Fuck.
Not surprised, SCOTUS likes cases to pass through the normal appellate processes, in this case the 4th Circuit. Once that appeal is over the losing party can appeal to SCOTUS. SCOTUS did the same thing when IL gun rights organizations tried to bypass the 7th Circuit.
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... e-weapons/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:24 pm
featureless wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:21 pm No, not surprised. Unfortunately, there will soon be incorrect circuit court precedence in CA4, CA7 and CA9.
Doesn’t seem SCOTUS is interested in reeling in the lower courts.
Nope. It's a shame. Rights in certain districts are not as important, apparently. It would be pretty easy for SCOTUS to provide some guidance. I believe the pile of Illinois cases is still on calendar for cert denial/grant, but I've little hope of it.

featureless wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:29 pm [Nope. It's a shame. Rights in certain districts are not as important, apparently. It would be pretty easy for SCOTUS to provide some guidance. I believe the pile of Illinois cases is still on calendar for cert denial/grant, but I've little hope of it.
I'm out of Hope. Seems to me that SCOTUS is not interested in reigning in lower courts. Most of the stuff being contested was already covered in Bruen, Heller and others yet legislators in Illinois and other States are simply ignoring SCOTUS decisions. Thumbing their noses at SCOTUS at it were.

I believe we are witnessing the sundown of Americans being allowed to have firearms......except maybe for a single shot .410 or .22 for hunting Waskally Wabbits.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:58 pm
featureless wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:29 pm [Nope. It's a shame. Rights in certain districts are not as important, apparently. It would be pretty easy for SCOTUS to provide some guidance. I believe the pile of Illinois cases is still on calendar for cert denial/grant, but I've little hope of it.
I'm out of Hope. Seems to me that SCOTUS is not interested in reigning in lower courts. Most of the stuff being contested was already covered in Bruen, Heller and others yet legislators in Illinois and other States are simply ignoring SCOTUS decisions. Thumbing their noses at SCOTUS at it were.

I believe we are witnessing the sundown of Americans being allowed to have firearms......except maybe for a single shot .410 or .22 for hunting Waskally Wabbits.

VooDoo
The dem plan is simple. Thumb their nose at the SCOTUS until they can appoint enough justices to SCOTUS to confirm their lower court rulings and effectively overturn Bruen and Heller.

sikacz wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:24 pm

VooDoo
The dem plan is simple. Thumb their nose at the SCOTUS until they can appoint enough justices to SCOTUS to confirm their lower court rulings and effectively overturn Bruen and Heller.
And don't forget McDonald. Heller, McDonald and Bruen are the trinity of SCOTUS firearms decisions in the 21st Century. McDonald v Chicago said that the 2nd Amendment also applies to state and local governments, not just the federal government.

Yes the Democrats' plan is to appoint enough anti-gun justices to SCOTUS so they can overturn Heller, McDonald and Bruen like the current court overturned Roe v Wade. And those justices will reinterpret the 2A as applying only to state militias (National Guard), so there will be no individual right to keep and bear arms.

highdesert wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:12 pm
sikacz wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:24 pm

VooDoo
And don't forget McDonald. Heller, McDonald and Bruen are the trinity of SCOTUS firearms decisions in the 21st Century. McDonald v Chicago said that the 2nd Amendment also applies to state and local governments, not just the federal government.

Yes the Democrats' plan is to appoint enough anti-gun justices to SCOTUS so they can overturn Heller, McDonald and Bruen like the current court overturned Roe v Wade. And those justices will reinterpret the 2A as applying only to state militias (National Guard), so there will be no individual right to keep and bear arms.
That’s their plan and that’s reason enough to not vote for them.

Seems to me that they do not need a Liberal SCOTUS - in several States that (the legislators and lower courts/Supreme courts) are actively ignoring the decisions handed down by SCOTUS. And if by some crazy twist of fate these State laws that ban commonly owned sporting firearms would get overturned, the States will just ignore it or pass another identical law that takes 3 - 5 years to make it to SCOTUS. SCOTUS is presently impotent without a way to enforce their decisions.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:17 pm Seems to me that they do not need a Liberal SCOTUS - in several States that (the legislators and lower courts/Supreme courts) are actively ignoring the decisions handed down by SCOTUS. And if by some crazy twist of fate these State laws that ban commonly owned sporting firearms would get overturned, the States will just ignore it or pass another identical law that takes 3 - 5 years to make it to SCOTUS. SCOTUS is presently impotent without a way to enforce their decisions.

VooDoo
That’s what they are already doing. Ultimately if they can turn the SCOTUS they’ll make it “legal” and justify the now unconstitutional rulings by the lower courts. As noted, they will do what the republicans did to Roe.

sikacz wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:23 pm
VodoundaVinci wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:17 pm Seems to me that they do not need a Liberal SCOTUS - in several States that (the legislators and lower courts/Supreme courts) are actively ignoring the decisions handed down by SCOTUS. And if by some crazy twist of fate these State laws that ban commonly owned sporting firearms would get overturned, the States will just ignore it or pass another identical law that takes 3 - 5 years to make it to SCOTUS. SCOTUS is presently impotent without a way to enforce their decisions.

VooDoo
That’s what they are already doing. Ultimately if they can turn the SCOTUS they’ll make it “legal” and justify the now unconstitutional rulings by the lower courts. As noted, they will do what the republicans did to Roe.
Yup. I ain't voting for either of those. All of the rights for all of the people. Nobody should be voting for the assholes promoting these restrictions if they value freedom and liberty. At least for the non monied class. The monied class can buy whatever freedoms they want.

After the Brown v Board of Education decision it took time for courts to start enforcing it. There used to be a "blue slip procedure" in the US Senate where US senators had to return a blue slip of paper to the chair of the Judiciary Committee to show they approved of a presidential judicial nominee in their state. If they didn't return the slip it showed they were against the nomination and it would likely fail, the system kept nominees more moderate. Sen Grassley under Republicans did away with it and he got some extreme Trump nominees confirmed. Blue slips have continued to be ignored under Sen Durban when Democrats regained the Senate majority and partisan candidates continue to get confirmed. A lot of the nominees on the 9th Circuit are there thanks to Sen Dianne Feinstein and Sen Barbara Boxer, so it's full of antigun judges.

Now some Democratic US senate candidates want to do away with the senate filibuster, so they can legalize abortion nationwide with a majority vote. And when Republicans have the majority they'll abolish that law. The filibuster exists because it makes it more difficult to pass federal laws without bipartisan compromises, otherwise it's the tyranny of the majority. The wings of the two parties want to control the US Senate, that's not working too well in the US House with the Freedom Caucus and the Progressive Caucus constantly battling each other.

featureless wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:10 pm Yup. I ain't voting for either of those. All of the rights for all of the people. Nobody should be voting for the assholes promoting these restrictions if they value freedom and liberty. At least for the non monied class. The monied class can buy whatever freedoms they want.
Can't wait for these new laws banning commonly owned semi auto sporting rifles and associated magazines (and all the trimmings like semi auto pistols with threaded barrels and high cap magazines) to go Federal. Literally chomping at the bit to get this settled if it can be, one way or the other,

The Constitution is being run over rough shod and it's not the Republicans/Conservatives who are doing it. It's the Neo Liberal Democrats who seem to be disregarding/ignoring the Constitution and SCOTUS decisions wholesale. I'm terribly anxious to see where this goes.

VooDoo