Re: Alliant Powder (Reloader's Hot Sauce)

Pretty much all reloading components have been MIA or have very spotty availability - I'm not sure of the reason but all of my go-to suppliers show virtually all Alliant Smokeless Powder to be unavailable/out of stock except for the specialty powders with scant demand. I have no idea why. Last time I got powder/components I ordered a near lifetime supply as I got tired of my fav stuff not being available for months or even years at a time.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

For about a year and a half, I've been selling my guns, taking them to a dealer. It was there that one of the customers asked the guy behind the counter about this Alliant powder issue, and he seemed reluctant to say. I have powders for things I no longer have, along with brass and bullets. I can sell the tools on ebay, but not the components. I have kids and grandkids, but none are shooters. I mostly just don't want to leave this stuff to become someone else's problem. I also did the stockpile thing when supplies would dry up at times and it has come back to bite me. I need to shoot this stuff up, but just don't have the time anymore.

News from Shotshow 2024: I just got home from 4 days in Las Vegas at the shotshow, where I met with the people from the factories we work with, factory sales people, factory directors and owners, importers, etc. The big point of discussion seemed to be shortness in supply for nitrocellulose, which is the raw material used to make gunpowder and other propellants and explosives. Based on these conversations, the issue seems to be based on 2 factors, decreased availability in the supply chain and increased demand for the manufacturing of military ordnance. Getting into the details and a little more, a huge percentage of the nitrocellulose used to make gunpowder historically came from China and Russia, however according to my conversations with industry partners, the Chinese manufacturers who historically were the biggest suppliers at over 30% of the market share are no longer willing to ship raw nitrocellulose to the USA or NATO member countries in attempt to reduce the USA & NATO’s ability to supply Ukrainian forces with artillery shells, and of course Russia who historically was the 2nd biggest supplier is out of the supply chain as well. This decrease in supply in raw material has gunpowder manufacturers in the USA raising prices dramatically and cutting off many of the smaller ammo manufacturers. The 2nd part of this issue is the demand for military ordnance, like 155mm artillery shells that use huge quantities gunpowder propellants, and the gunpowder manufacturers switching production to this type of gunpowder with what supply of nitrocellulose they do get.
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t ... tage/58221

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

This is why it's important to have some backup powders. It's also why it's important to have a good stash of powder on-hand.

My primary powder for all .38 Special loads is Alliant Bullseye. My backup is Hodgdon Titegroup, which generally is surprisingly available when others like Bullseye and W231 aren't.

For magnum-style handgun loads (e. g. .357M, .44M, Ruger-style .45LC), my powders are as follows.

Primary: Alliant 2400
Secondary: Accurate 11FS
Tertiary: H110/W296

Now, as for Red China being a major source of nitrocellulose, I see no reason why we couldn't make that here in this country. Indeed, just for national security reasons, we should be making it here and not be dependent on two adversaries--Red China and Putin's Russia--for gunpowder.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Yep, HP-38/W231 is also good stuff and very widely used as well. I'd say it's about as popular as Bullseye for non-magnum handgun applications. Tried a pound of the HP-38 branded stuff in .38/357 shortly after I first got started reloading, and it performed well.

Really the only reason I stuck to Bullseye and Titegroup was because A.) they were both less expensive at the time, and B.) they were very much available, especially Titegroup.

There is nothing wrong with getting a full jug of powder, BTW. Indeed, I highly recommend it!
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Blast from the past. I have some more recent manufacture of some of these powders and am trying to do a shot by/vs shot comparison. My old chronograph may be down for the count. The duct tape hanger I brilliantly designed let go and sent it from hanging from ceiling to the concrete floor. Don't know if I want to invest in new at this point, but I'd hate to die with money in my pocket. How about those prices! Remember when places like Murphy's Mart sold reloading?
Attachments
IMG_2901.JPG
IMG_2901.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 60 times
IMG_2900.JPG
IMG_2900.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 60 times
IMG_2899.JPG
IMG_2899.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 60 times