Re: Orange spirochete indictment thread

Trump demands removal of Judge Merchan in meltdown before contempt hearing

Donald Trump kicked off his Saturday morning by going on an all-caps tirade aimed at Judge Juan Merchan as his attorneys prepare to defend him in a contempt hearing set for early next week over his other attacks on Truth Social.

On Monday, the former president's trial on 34 felony counts related to paying hush money to adult film star Stormy Daniels will proceed after a jury was sworn in on Friday.

ALSO READ: A criminologist explains why keeping Trump from the White House is all that matters

Now facing an actual criminal trial that could lead to four years in prison if he is found guilty, the ex-president is ramping up his attacks on the judge and appears to still be furious he is going to trial.

On Saturday morning, he wrote, "THIS SCAM 'RUSHED' TRIAL TAKING PLACE IN A 95% DEMOCRAT AREA IS A PLANNED AND COORDINATED WITCH HUNT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN BROUGHT 8 YEARS AGO, BUT EVERYBODY PASSED. INSTEAD THEY WAITED AND BROUGHT IT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE WORST AND MOST INCOMPETENT PRESIDENT EVER, CROOKED JOE BIDEN. IT IS BEING PRESIDED OVER BY POSSIBLY THE MOST CONFLICTED JUDGE IN JUDICIAL HISTORY, WHO MUST BE REMOVED FROM THIS HOAX IMMEDIATELY. I DID NOTHING WRONG!"

Trump's attack falls in line with a prediction by former prosecutor Charles Coleman Jr. who predicted on MSNBC hours earlier that the former president was going to "pop" due to the stress of his trial and his advanced age.
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-meltdown-merchan/

This is definitely not the way to win friends among the judicial branch representatives, especially the one that can make your life very miserable.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

If the judge does not hold him in contempt, there is no hope for justice. Trump needs bitch slapped back to reality - He been under a gag order to shut his face and he pulls this? Nobody, not even Trump can be this arrogant and stupid.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I want a judge with self control. I want a judge who judges ice cold, guided first by the law and then by logic. (I wanted to write "first by right and wrong and then by the law", but the law doesn't always follow right and wrong, and I want the judge to follow the law. I don't really want judges writing law unless it's a last resort for truly bad law.)

If and when he holds Trump in contempt, I want everyone to say "I would have done that a lot earlier" rather than "wow, what drew a contempt citation?"

Remember this TOS holds everybody in contempt that's doesn't rollover and not only agree with him, but doesn't fawn over and worship him.

He is so much like Leona Roberts Helmsley the Queen of Mean. Her famous quote "Only the little people pay taxes." In 1988, then-U.S. Attorney Rudy Giuliani indicted the Helmsleys and two of their associates on several tax-related charges, as well as extortion. She was convicted of tax evasion. Helmsley's new lawyer, retained to appeal the judgment, was Alan Dershowitz. Following the appeal, which resulted in a reduced sentence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Helmsley

Well look how some names just keep popping up.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I was listening to 4 DC reporters Friday giving a roundup of the weeks news and they started off giggling about Trump at his New York City trial. Apparently from pool reporters in the courtroom, they learned that when Trump nods off he also passes gas. I haven't seen any news reports about Trump's flatulence problem, but reporters don't print everything.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

New York state lawyers and an attorney for former President Donald Trump settled their differences Monday over a $175 million bond that Trump posted to block a large civil fraud judgment while he pursues appeals. The agreement cut short a potential day-long court hearing in Manhattan that was to feature witnesses. As part of a deal struck during a 20-minute recess, lawyers for Trump and Knight Specialty Insurance Company agreed to keep the $175 million in a cash account that will gain interest but faces no downside risk. The account so far has grown by over $700,000.

The bond stops the state from potentially seizing Trump’s assets to satisfy the more than $454 million that he owes after losing a court case brought by the Democratic attorney general. She had alleged that Trump, along with his company and key executives, defrauded bankers and insurers by lying about his wealth. The ex-president and presumptive Republican nominee denies the claims and is appealing the judgment.

Judge Arthur Engoron, who in February issued the huge judgment after concluding that Trump and others had deceived banks and insurers by exaggerating his wealth on financial statements, presided over Monday’s hearing and at times was caught in a testy exchange with Trump attorney Christopher Kise. As part of the deal, Knight Specialty Insurance, a Wilmington, Delaware-based part of the Los Angeles-based Knight Insurance Group, will have exclusive control of the $175 million and will submit to the jurisdiction of the New York state court while agreeing not to move the money into mutual funds or other financial instruments.
https://apnews.com/article/trump-civil- ... 64879611e7
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

John Stewart’s point (again) is well made. 24-hour news cannot but behave like privileged drug addicts after leaving a monthlong recovery spa. All that meaculpa doesn’t mean sh*t unless something bitter was forced down their throats along with the bad behavior to break the cycle of addiction. And you’d think 4 years of TOS capped with the sacking of the Capitol would have been horrible enough but apparently all that did was reinforce the idea that with 45 anything could happen. And like a horrible collision on the 405 freeway everyone’s gotta crane their necks to see the carnage regardless of the miles long traffic which results that prevents everyone from getting home. 24-hour news selfishly benefits from rubber-necking —They profit from it! These money addicts will pretend that their better nature makes them human simply due to “good intentions” even as they again transport American eyeballs in their basket, skipping, down the road to hell —and awaken days later in a trash-strewn alleyway covered in their own vomit. But we are the ones that will discover (again) our pockets turned out and our democracy has once again been stolen from us. We are the ones who will feel stupid to allow addicts into our livingrooms once again.

“Ah, but dick-jokes are funny!”
(Maybe, if everything is reduced to just that level of “entertainment”.)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The media has been obsessed with Trump since he announced in 2015. He says crazy shit and they don't want to miss a word because they're potential stories. On one side reporters are mocking him but he's also very reportable, whether it's an interview or something he says at one of his "rallies". We live in the era of infotainment and Trump is part of it. It's not just the US media, I think the BBC would close shop if they didn't have US news to report including Trump. I don't have a TV so I don't watch any of the shit on networks and I'm selective about what I listen to on radio. We have a population that is more educated than ever, but it seems that there is more ignorance than ever.

David Pecker, the former publisher of the National Enquirer and former CEO of its parent company, American Media Inc., told the court Tuesday that he and Trump had coordinated not just to publish positive coverage of his friend ahead of the 2016 election, but also to publish negative coverage of other presidential candidates. In doing so, Pecker practically admitted to the catch-and-kill media scheme that Trump has repeatedly denied.
https://newrepublic.com/post/180905/tru ... 6-election

Just read a great joke today: "Of the 25,000 lies you've told, which is your favorite?" "I don't lie." "Yeah, that's my favorite, too."

CDF
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Questions raised about company 'fronting' $8M in Trump legal fees

By using a cut-out company, Donald Trump has been disguising where $8 million in legal fees are being spent — and that has legal experts suggesting the former president is flouting federal laws at the same time that he's facing multiple criminal trials, according to a report.

The company in question, a compliance firm called Red Curve Solutions, has handled millions funneled from various Trump-aligned committees, even though it is not known for legal services.

With Trump's FEC filings stating the money handed over to the company has been designated as "reimbursements," it would appear Red Curve is "fronting" money for the former president, writes the Daily Beast's Roger Sollenberger.

The vagueness as to who specifically is ending up with money over the past 15 months is raising eyebrows, Sollenberger wrote.

"The payment descriptions suggest that since December 2022, when the arrangement seemed to begin, Red Curve has been fronting legal costs out of its corporate account, with Trump’s committees repaying the company later. According to campaign finance experts, this setup appears to flout federal rules requiring the disclosure of vendors, with Red Curve’s advance payments also raising the prospect of corporate in-kind contributions," he wrote.

As campaign finance expert Brendan Fischer explained, this appears to be a violation of federal law.

"This appears illegal for two reasons. When a campaign makes a reimbursement, it must report the payment to the person being reimbursed, and also itemize the underlying vendor,” Fischer stated while pointing out the lack of itemization details. "The second is that these transactions may have resulted in Red Curve making illegal corporate contributions to Trump’s committees.”

Narrowing down where Trump is possibly in violation of the law, Fischer added, "Red Curve is a corporation, so cannot lawfully make an advance to Trump’s hard money committees, even if later reimbursed."

The Beast's Sollenberger added, "Campaign finance experts agreed that the pattern suggests these Trump committees, for some unknown reason, have been sharing legal costs. But the payment reports don’t identify the entity or entities that Red Curve initially paid to perform the legal work on Trump’s behalf. And that, the experts said, could pose a problem — because it hides the true vendor and recipient of the funds."
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-legal-fees-2667865150/

I am not surprised about this. The FEC needs to audit him along with the IRS. TOS is known for his sloppy accounting methods. The government needs to do a deep dive into his finances and accounting for tax purposes. I would bet he owes a lot of back taxes. That's what took down Al Capone and would be what takes down Trump and his family's empire.

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 am I am not surprised about this. The FEC needs to audit him along with the IRS. TOS is known for his sloppy accounting methods. The government needs to do a deep dive into his finances and accounting for tax purposes. I would bet he owes a lot of back taxes. That's what took down Al Capone and would be what takes down Trump and his family's empire.
That would be interesting but only if they could not just finish the audit in less than 6 months but also complete any trial and sentencing in less than 10 months.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Arizona has indicted a number of former President Donald Trump's advisers over an alleged scheme to flip his defeat in the state and overturn the 2020 election result. Ex-Trump advisers Rudi Giuliani and Mark Meadows were among 18 indicted on counts including conspiracy and fraud. Arizona is the fourth US state to file criminal charges in a "fake elector" scheme. Mr Trump himself is not charged in the alleged Arizona plot.

The names of seven defendants are redacted in the indictment made public on Wednesday which does name 11 others. Although Mr Giuliani and Mr Meadows, Mr Trump's former chief of staff, are not named, the redacted defendants are referred to in a manner that exposes their identity. The Arizona prosecutor's office said the redacted names would be made public after all the defendants were formally presented with the charges. The court documents also list a "former US president" - believed to be Mr Trump - as an unindicted co-conspirator.

The list of those named includes several current and former officials, such as Kelli Ward, the former chairwoman of the Arizona Republican Party, and her husband Michael Ward. Two serving state lawmakers - Anthony Kern and Jake Hoffman - are among those charged. Mr Hoffman told CBS News, the BBC's US partner, that he was innocent of the charges and victim of "naked political persecution by the judicial process". An Arizona grand jury had agreed to the indictments after a year-long investigation. Announcing the charges on Wednesday evening, Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes, a Democrat, said in a video statement: "I'll not allow American democracy to be undermined - it's too important." "The scheme, had it succeeded, would have deprived Arizona voters of their right to their votes counted for their chosen president," she continued. "It would have effectively made their right to vote meaningless." Mr Biden won the state by 10,457 votes. Three other states have filed criminal charges against the electors accused of falsely declaring Mr Trump to have won the 2020 presidential election. Nevada, Michigan and Georgia - like Arizona, all swing states in the forthcoming November election - have also charged a number of Republican officials over similar schemes.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68893365

Alito complains 'special' Trump shouldn't be 'subject to criminal laws like anybody else'

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito complained Thursday that a "special" former officeholder like Donald Trump could be expected to be "subject to the criminal laws just like anybody else."

Alito made the remarks to special counsel attorney Michael Dreeben during oral arguments in Trump's presidential immunity appeal to the high court. Trump's attorneys had argued the former president could not be charged with election interference because the office gave him immunity.

Dreeben, however, asserted Trump could be charged for trying to subvert the election.

"Well, Mr. Dreeben, do you really, I mean, the presidents have to make a lot of tough decisions about enforcing the law, and they have to make decisions about questions that are unsettled, and they have to make decisions based on the information that's available," Alito said.

"Do you really, did I understand you to say, well, you know, if he makes a mistake, he makes a mistake. He's subject to the criminal laws just like anybody else?"

"You don't think he's in a special, a peculiarly precarious position?" the justice asked.

"He's in a special position for a number of reasons," Dreeben explained. "One is that he has access to legal advice about everything that he does."

"He's under a constitutional obligation to, he's supposed to be faithful to the laws of the United States and the Constitution of the United States, and making a mistake is not what lands you in a criminal prosecution," he continued, noting that Trump was accused of interfering with "the certification of the next president."

Alito said he didn't want to argue the specifics of Trump's case.

"It's difficult to think of a more critical function than the certification of who won the election," Dreeben observed.

"You know, I'm not, as I said, I'm not discussing the particular facts of this case, but it applies to any fraud that interferes seriously with any government operation, right?"

"So what the government needs to show is an intent to impede, interfere, or defeat a lawful government function by deception," Dreeben explained. "These are not the kinds of activities that I think any of us would think a president needs to engage in in order to fulfill his Article Two duties and, particularly in a case like this one."
https://www.rawstory.com/samual-alito-trump-special/

That’s the problem with TOS from the day he was born, everybody around him thought he was special. So much that his father made a deal with a podiatrist to give him bone spurs to avoid the draft. Those bone spurs don’t keep him from cheating at golf for decades. This has made him believe he’s is super special and doesn’t have to follow the normal customs and rules everyone else has to follow.

I listened to it on NPR, and to the commentary afterward. TOS is being treated as special, yet I think the case will not grant him blanket immunity. I'm worried, though, that he might be able to get a partially favorable ruling somehow, them saying his case--which no one would comment on extensively--"helped" clarirfy the parameters of his culpability. It's because I don't trust this Court.

CDF
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I wish there was a law that if the president appointed the judge, and then had a case before the court, that judge is automatically recused from the case.

Also we should have equal justice for all and NO person is above the law.

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:19 pm I wish there was a law that if the president appointed the judge, and then had a case before the court, that judge is automatically recused from the case.

Also we should have equal justice for all and NO person is above the law.
Agree in spirit.

What would happen if Biden loses the election and in 2025 faces charges of aiding and abetting genocide in Palestine? I'm not saying that is "truth," but a whole lot of people currently are, especially on some college campuses. He has obviously signed the bills that fund the bombs that really are killing innocent people as well as Hamas.

I actually don't have a well enough informed opinion on this. I just understand there's a lot of nuance to it that gets lost.

sig230 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:16 pm A former president is special, like it or not. But he/she is not a king/queen.
Speaking of Kings & Queens ...

Mary, Ann, Catherine, Charles, Louis, Nicholas, Marie, Franz ...

They were special too, until they weren't.
Absolutely. I'm not defending the orange asshole here. But provision of lifetime access to secret service protection and security briefings does put one in the "special" category, as does having been one of the few to be president.

I think that if Trump gets the White House back and starts his vendetta against the folks who have pushed the indictments against him, we could see Joe Biden implicated in all kinds of stuff. Stuff like featureless just brought up.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.