E. Jean Carroll's unregistered gun confiscated [truncated title]

Actual title:

Police took possession of E. Jean Carroll's unregistered gun after her testimony in Trump defamation trial
Police in New York took possession of a gun belonging to writer E. Jean Carroll in February after she said during testimony in her defamation lawsuit against former President Donald Trump that she had an unlicensed firearm at home, according to a police report obtained by NBC News.

The chief of police in Warwick, New York, visited Carroll at her home on Feb. 15 “to discuss some open issues,” the report states, including Carroll’s disclosure of the handgun while she was on the witness stand Jan. 17.

During the second day of the civil trial, Carroll had told the federal court in lower Manhattan that she kept a “high standard revolver, nine chambers” at home with ammunition. “By my bed,” she said.

“I still do not have a license,” Carroll added.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... rcna147673

So, that happened. Have at it.

Apparently, once she gets a license, she'll get her gun back.

CDF
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: E. Jean Carroll's unregistered gun confiscated [truncated title]

Of course, merely owning a firearm, the "keeping" aspect of the 2A, should not require a "mommy, may I pleeeezze?" permission slip in the first place. Registration schemes and "permits to own a gun" should be struck down as un-Constitutional, the same way they would be if applied to the 1A right of free expression.

Should a future President Trump give her a pardon for this one, I would most certainly support it in this particular case (LOL!). But of course that wouldn't happen, since she's the one suing Trump. I suspect that part of why the police went easy on her, because that's a felony offense in New York. Were she testifying in favor of Trump in some court case, she most likely would have been in cuffs, felony charged, etc. This is similar to how David Gregory knowingly brought a 30-round magazine into Washington DC, after he talked with the police about it and they told him no, don't do it. He subsequently did it anyway, and the DC Chief of Police was all set to arrest his ass and have him face justice. The Washington DC prosecutor shot that down and declined to press charges against him. He walked away scot-free.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

I agree with the others. She did nothing wrong yet can run afoul of any number of nanny-laws in her state. Move to AZ (for example) and this would be a non-issue.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Eris wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:30 am Does E Jean Carrol having an unregistered firearm mean that Trump didn't rape her?

No it does not.

This is no more a news story than any other person with an unregistered gun.
Agree. It detracts from the real issue at court. I don’t personally care for the idea that guns need to be registered. The only reason this made any news is it was by her own admission and in a court of law. I’m not sure what prompted her to make such a statement. I’m glad registration isn’t a requirement in my state and I don’t support it on the federal level.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:51 am
Eris wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:30 am Does E Jean Carrol having an unregistered firearm mean that Trump didn't rape her?

No it does not.

This is no more a news story than any other person with an unregistered gun.
Agree. It detracts from the real issue at court. I don’t personally care for the idea that guns need to be registered. The only reason this made any news is it was by her own admission and in a court of law. I’m not sure what prompted her to make such a statement. I’m glad registration isn’t a requirement in my state and I don’t support it on the federal level.
It appears it was a response to questions designed to get her to lie under oath in a court of law.

But it backfired since she answered honestly knowing it might cause her problems.

BUT the Christian Cult of Wilful Ignorance and Deceit are immune to evidence as well as cognitive dissonance so the simply don't see how it actually SUPPORTS her contentions.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I agree that the registration of guns is unnecessary. Unless you want to tax them on a yearly basis. I think it foolish that some folks say registration leads to confiscation. I think it's more of a money issue. Registration should be opposed. A Red Flag Law, a UBC, an age restriction all can function without registration. Safe storage is another kettle of fish. In California we have to sign an affidavit saying we have a safe or trigger lock; many gun makers as well as many gun stores here give away trigger locks or charge six bucks for one. In California, you only get busted after the fact if someone steals your unsecured gun and makes a crime with it.

tl;dr: registration of guns is unnecessary unless the .gov wants to tax them periodically.

CDF

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am I'm curious about how the issue of her having an unregistered gun even came up during her testimony. Anyone know why she would have divulged this?

VooDoo
No idea. Curious as well.
CDFingers wrote: I agree that the registration of guns is unnecessary. Unless you want to tax them on a yearly basis. I think it foolish that some folks say registration leads to confiscation. I think it's more of a money issue. Registration should be opposed. A Red Flag Law, a UBC, an age restriction all can function without registration. Safe storage is another kettle of fish. In California we have to sign an affidavit saying we have a safe or trigger lock; many gun makers as well as many gun stores here give away trigger locks or charge six bucks for one. In California, you only get busted after the fact if someone steals your unsecured gun and makes a crime with it.

tl;dr: registration of guns is unnecessary unless the .gov wants to tax them periodically.

CDF
You’re making a judgment call that’s biased. Of course registration can lead to confiscation, if laws change and known people have guns no longer allowed. You’re making a statement that can’t be proven one way or the other. Without registration confiscation is impossible. With registration is possible even if the likelihood is unknown. I expect better logic from you.

As for punishing people for loss of their property by theft for the acts of another is a ludicrous law conceived by people bent on projecting all gun owners as criminal and liable for the actions of others. We don’t use the same standard on car owners or owners of any other tool misused by someone else after they stole it. Ultimately there are two guilty parties when a gun is stolen and used in crime, the thief and the person that used it in a crime. The gun owner is a victim of a theft.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

In 1911, New York imposed the Sullivan Law ... requiring a license to own a handgun. The law gives the issuing authority discretion over whom to issue a license. The purpose of the law was to deny handguns to Irish and Italian immigrants of the period, then considered untrustworthy by New York politicians with different bloodlines.
On June 23, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down New York’s discretionary carry licensing regime as a violation of the Second Amendment right to bear arms in the NRA-backed case NYSRPA v. Bruen. The law at issue was the modern version New York’s Sullivan Law, which was enacted in 1911. Named for notorious Tammany Hall political boss “Big” Tim Sullivan, the law imbued bribery and favoritism into the licensing process and empowered those with racial, ethnic, or other prejudice to prevent those they disfavor from exercising their Second Amendment rights.

Gun owners should understand that this victory was the culmination of more than a century of opposition to the Sullivan Law.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2022070 ... llivan-law
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Let's remember how hard it is to steal a gun that's locked in a safe. If a gun is left out and the owner turns their back and the gun gets stolen, whose fault is it? It is the owner's.

What if cars are outlawed? They know where my car is. See how foolish is the idea of confiscation when we invent a law that will never happen?

Unless you're handling it, wearing it, or can see directly where it is stashed, your gun should be locked up. Pretty simple when you think about it. If you don't think about it in California, you can be charged. Again, simple.

CDF

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm Let's remember how hard it is to steal a gun that's locked in a safe. If a gun is left out and the owner turns their back and the gun gets stolen, whose fault is it? It is the owner's.

What if cars are outlawed? They know where my car is. See how foolish is the idea of confiscation when we invent a law that will never happen?

Unless you're handling it, wearing it, or can see directly where it is stashed, your gun should be locked up. Pretty simple when you think about it. If you don't think about it in California, you can be charged. Again, simple.

CDF
Simple. We simply disagree - what I do with my firearm's in my locked house is my business. If someone breaks and enters, grabs a gun and goes and kills someone (even if it's a minor) then that's my fault. right? If I'm not wearing it in Illinois it *must* be unloaded and locked up and the ammunition stored in a separate locked box. Hence I wear my pistol to bed for fear of breaking the law.

Ridiculous.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VooDoo, it is so true. We know it to be true because locked homes are never breached. And guns are never left under the bed for "those times."

Guns are different even from a credit card or a pile of cash. I can think of no time when a fifty dollar bill was swiped and used to beat a kid to death.

Sometimes people just don't wanna. That's why the rest of us have guns. History shows humans to be a violent species populated with a minority of folks who don't wanna. It has always been thus.

CDF

There was a time when guns hung unlocked in a rack, on the wall just under the head of some critter or another, and little thought was given. Those days may return, but for now... Given what these things are made to do, in light of current circumstances, it's prudent to adjust how they are stored. In the state where I live, there are still some of those deer proudly holding the rifle used to make dinner out of them. The deer's widow wishes someone would steal it. I wish they would put it in a safe.

Home invasions, often fatal for the home owner/occupants, are on the increase. Someone kicks my door in at 3 am and enters my domicile, they will be met with armed resistance from a pistol that is loaded and within reach. The guns I collect are in a safe or have locks on them and the ammunition is "somewhere else" in the house. But the guns that are tools are loaded and out of sight or on my person.

So make me a criminal if you think it'll help. I won't complain when they arrest me for violations of safe storage laws.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

California can keep its silly laws. As noted by VooDoo, there’s a lock on my door and anyone breaking that door has committed a crime. If you have kids do what you have to, to make your house safe. They are your kids not mine. I don’t have kids and none have legal access to my home. My advice, lock your kids up too if you’re worried about my self defense gun being loaded and in my house.

I must admit that I am lucky in that I don't live in a state where one must be anxious about becoming a victim both in and out of the home. My friend who displays her rifles on the wall also does not feel the need to lock her doors, ever. But then, there is simply no real crime around here, everyone know each other - we are spread apart a bit. Sometimes I think it would be nice to live in a large city, then I see on the news just how fucked-up they can be. I feel kinda sorry for those who feel they must be armed, even in their own home. Some here open carry, perhaps I am made a little safer by their doing so. When a storm hits, and trees fall across the (only) road, the people here go out with chainsaws and winches, and remove them, because the local govt. does not have the resources to do so.

I don't chastise anyone for doing what they feel is best for them. That front door can be kicked in just as easily when you are not at home, also. Even if I could be certain that no harm would be done, I still would not want my stuff to be stolen. Guns are expensive. An accounting will be done by the police, the insurance agent (your rates will go up). The bad guys now know just where the goodies are, and how easy they are to get. Why make it easy for them?

Again, I'm lucky (blessed?) to not live in a place that scares me, so I can't know your anxiety. Be safe.