Re: Orange spirochete indictment thread

featureless wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:49 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:28 pm As bad as the SCOTUS was in 2000, this is infinitely worse. George W Bush wasn't accused, much less under indictment for multiple state and federal felonies. The 6 know this and just don't give a shit--they want him back as President so they can push more telebangelist restrictions on people's lives.
Looks like all 9.

I entirely understand the emotional desire to see the guy in tar and feathers. But I also want to see innocent until proven guilty maintained. If Colorado were allowed to remove him from the ballot, think of the ramifications. Any allegation would do, resulting in chaos.
Exactly. As uncomfortable as it and tempting to label the SCOTUS partial, maintaining our legal process is critical for our republic to survive. We don’t need allegations to become reasons to disqualify people. It has to remain convictions. The democrats had over three years to build a case and bring charges. It’s their failure. We shouldn’t sacrifice the credibility of our legal system on party agenda. It’s reassuring all nine saw this for what it was, a political sidestep of justice.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Wino wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:33 am Unanimous decision - turd stays on ballots. Sad day for nation. FDT
I have 3 or 4 takeaways from this decision:
1) The vote was unanimous that states don't have the power to enforce Sect 3 regarding Federal offices, especially the Presidency. But they CAN invoke Sect 3 regarding their own state offices.
2) Barrett wrote separately that the decision should have stopped there--it was enough. I would reluctantly agree with that.
3) The 3 Liberals went further. While concurring with Barrett, they then went on to point out that the5 took on issues OUTSIDE the case and may well make it impossible to invoke Sect 3 at the Federal level without enabling legislation from Congress, that they misinterpret Sect 5 which merely allows Congress to set aside Sect 3 with a 2/3 vote in both Houses. Ironically, and to make a point, they began their concurrence by directly quoting from Dobbs that a judicial action should NOT go beyond the issue at hand! Clever!
4) (My Opinion) The 5 have nefariously set up an impossible bar to Trump EVER being denied office on the basis of Sect 3 because they have "found" a requirement that Congress MUST establish a basis for determining a Sect 3 violation, and has not done so.

My other take: I HOPE this was a "deal" to ensure, OTOH, that Trump is DENIED immunity from crimes committed as President.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

featureless wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:10 pm
My other take: I HOPE this was a "deal" to ensure, OTOH, that Trump is DENIED immunity from crimes committed as President.
That would be wonderful. No person is above the law.
Ultimately I too hope this is made clear. I doubt it will however be resolved prior to the election. We will have an interesting situation after the election if trump is sitting in the White House.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The question will remain. If TOS is convicted of felonies before the election can he still take office? Most states deny political office to convicted felons.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:32 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:12 pm The question will remain. If TOS is convicted of felonies before the election can he still take office? Most states deny political office to convicted felons.
I would think the Supreme Court would answer that if necessary.
States can establish requirements for individuals seeking state elected offices including, including banning individuals who were convicted of a felony. They cannot ban convicted felons from running for or being elected to the US Senate or US House from their state, those are federal offices and states don't control them.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:44 pm
sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:32 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:12 pm The question will remain. If TOS is convicted of felonies before the election can he still take office? Most states deny political office to convicted felons.
I would think the Supreme Court would answer that if necessary.
States can establish requirements for individuals seeking state elected offices including, including banning individuals who were convicted of a felony. They cannot ban convicted felons from running for or being elected to the US Senate or US House from their state, those are federal offices and states don't control them.
That’s my understanding too. Still if he’s elected and convicted before or after the election, I suspect there would be some constitutional scrutiny. Off hand I don’t recall any specific reference to felons. It seems the founders dealt more abstractly using terms like good moral character or such.

sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:18 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm The ruling says the states CAN invoke 14A, Sect 3 for state offices.
As noted earlier, president and senators and congress people are not under the state, it’s federal not a state office.
That is correct. If you thought I implied otherwise, I apologize.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Republican Senators Don’t Mind If Party Picks Up Tab For Donald Trump’s Legal Defense

WASHINGTON ― Donald Trump’s allies in the Senate say they wouldn’t object if the Republican National Committee decides to help pay for the former president’s mounting legal bills.

Asked if the RNC should bail Trump out, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) answered, “I believe so.”

“I mean, they’re targeting him because he’s the nominee,” the Florida Republican told HuffPost on Thursday, referring to the 91 criminal charges brought against Trump in federal and state jurisdictions.

“I would prefer not to have to do that. But these are all politically motivated prosecutions. And the reason why they’re coming after him is because he’s running for president,” he added.

Trump’s legal bills exceed a half-billion dollars, including $355 million in fines, plus interest, after a ruling that he had manipulated his net worth in New York. Trump was also ordered to pay $83.3 million to the writer E. Jean Carroll for damaging her reputation after a jury found him liable of sexually assaulting her.
Moreover, Lara Trump, the former president’s daughter-in-law whom he has tapped as the new RNC co-chair to replace Ronna McDaniel, said last month that paying Trump’s legal expenses is “a big interest” to his supporters.

Trump’s campaign, meanwhile, maintains that the committee would not be used to pay his legal bills. “Hard no,” a spokesperson for the presumptive GOP nominee told Fox News Digital on Thursday.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald- ... 052a52a2a8

I think they should cover all his bills, then they couldn’t pay for any other elections to get Repugs elected. Especially Repug Senators and Representatives.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Donors will probably have the last say in the matter, they just won't donate to the RNC. That may become a huge problem after Trump is nominated and runs out of ad money in the final stretch of the campaign. Trump keeps dragging out the cases and pissing money away on lawyers.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:51 pm Donors will probably have the last say in the matter, they just won't donate to the RNC. That may become a huge problem after Trump is nominated and runs out of ad money in the final stretch of the campaign. Trump keeps dragging out the cases and pissing money away on lawyers.
There’s a. Lot of pissed off lawyers because he hasn’t been paying them also.

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:51 pm Donors will probably have the last say in the matter, they just won't donate to the RNC. That may become a huge problem after Trump is nominated and runs out of ad money in the final stretch of the campaign. Trump keeps dragging out the cases and pissing money away on lawyers.
Really? I'd bet that if the RNC announced that it was paying for TOS's penile implants and a string of prostitutes from him to test it out on, they'd donate even more!

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:22 pm
Really? I'd bet that if the RNC announced that it was paying for TOS's penile implants and a string of prostitutes from him to test it out on, they'd donate even more!
Seriously. He could stand at the podium and shout, "You guys are a bunch of suckers! I can't believe you're still giving me money!" and they'd clap and shout and reach for their wallets.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Look at the bright side. If the RNC gives all that money to TOS's lawyers then he can't spend it on the campaign and the really great upside the RNC can't spend it on the congressional races for the Representatives and Senators running for Congress.

Trump is beholden to someone': Here's who's behind company footing E. Jean Carroll bond

Many people are now asking about Evan G. Greenberg, the CEO of the Chubb Group, which has a subsidiary that fronted the cash given to Donald Trump for his bond in New York for the E. Jean Carroll settlement.

Even if Trump intends to appeal the settlement ruled on by the jury, he must put the cash up as a bond to the court. Greenberg is the one who made it happen.

As legal analyst Allison Gill pointed out, he is not only a New York businessman, but was also brought on by Trump in 2018 to serve on the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations. His term ended in 2022.

One internet sleuth, political advisor and researcher pointed to a release from the Rainforest Action Network that linked Chubb to polluters and Russian leader Vladimir Putin.

Greenberg talks a big game about green energy, the report said, but RAN explained that Chubb has the insurance policies "underwriting the risks of digging new coal mines, building tar sands pipelines, and expanding oil and gas drilling in sensitive ecosystems across the world."
MSNBC's Lisa Rubin brought up the CEO's ties to Trump, but also pointed out that anyone could put up the money for Trump's fraud trial and there is a chance the American people would never know who gave him the money.

Rubin said she asked the New York Attorney General's office whether they would know the source of the funding, and their answer was, "We don't know." Host Rachel Maddow has floated that it means people like Vladimir Putin or the Saudi royal fund could put the money up for Trump and voters wouldn't know.
Full article: https://www.rawstory.com/trump-e-jean- ... greenberg/

So he could have Vald Putin or the House of Saud put up the money in exchange for favors to be determined later.

Michael Whatley -- an ardent supporter of Trump's baseless claims of voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election -- was elected to replace [Ronna] McDaniel [the RNC Chair]. Trump endorsed Whatley for the job, lauding his commitment to "election integrity."

"We will work relentlessly in every state to ensure that it is easy to vote and hard to cheat. Over the next eight months, the RNC will work hand in glove with President Trump's campaign to deliver on these core missions," Whatley said in his acceptance speech.

Trump also endorsed his daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, to take over the co-chair position from Drew McKissick of South Carolina. McKissick resigned and Lara Trump was elected to fill his role on Friday.

"We have one goal. The goal on Nov. 5 is to win and, as my father-in-law says, 'bigly,'" said Lara Trump when she accepted the position.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mcdanie ... =107931924