Re: Trump Vows 'Judgement Day' for Opponents and 'Largest Deportation in History' If Elected

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:40 pm I wonder why we have not prosecuted (vehemently) employers who employ illegal workers. Don't harass the workers - nail the employers who have hired them and are exploiting them.

VooDoo
Because employers likely would oppose the intrusion and requirements. It’s pretty easy to make sure everyone is legal between employment and housing.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Trump Vows 'Judgement Day' for Opponents and 'Largest Deportation in History' If Elected

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:40 pm I wonder why we have not prosecuted (vehemently) employers who employ illegal workers. Don't harass the workers - nail the employers who have hired them and are exploiting them.

VooDoo
I was a general contractor. I hired crews for more than 20 years.

General contractors are not cops. If we were, we'd probably know, we'd have a company car that we didn't have to buy, and someone would issue us at least one weapon. Not to mention the pretty costumes.

We do not enforce the law. We don't want to, and we don't have to. Not to mention that no one is paying us to do so. If we did have to, our prices would go up for every hour I have to spend as a cop, and my salary is the highest salary at my company. So prices would go up.

And now for a little fallacy busting. Because while most are willfully ignorant, with some of you, you're just ignorant, and if you want to, you can recognize the truth and adjust to it. So I'm only addressing those capable of learning, not those of you who have made up your minds. You can all have a seat. We will never discuss this issue.

You can purchase a full set of "papers" for less than an hours pay for a carpenter, within walking distance from where I'm writing this. They will pass muster with any employer who hasn't had law enforcement training. (And if they get caught, just get another set.)

Every hand that the local sends me gets the wage that the union lays down. There is no advantage to hiring immigrants, and there is a substantial downside-- the language barrier. (The upside is that every hand I've caught sleeping in his car on my time was American.)

Immigrants do not avoid taxes, because no one avoids taxes. What immigrants do is they never take advantage of the things taxes get them, because they don't want to be noticed.

Many employers (like, you know, me) are not willing to enforce idiotic immigration principles, and we bend over backwards to keep the immigrants on our crews because they have most American workers beat all to hell. We keep them straight up, strictly legal, as far as employment law, and we do everything we can to make them welcome here.

The jobs I created and filled did not have nationalities. They were jobs. They were not American jobs. If you really want to keep jobs from immigrants, go out and get one. Then hold it, against all competition, because it's a job. It's not your job.

Every time an immigrant crosses border, we get stronger.

Sounds like more corporate excuses, exactly as I expected. Having worked in more than just the USA, and in the construction industry I know first hand that there’s a way to solve the issue. Will it drive up prices yes, likely, as there won’t be any underpaid illegals in the work force. The price increase won’t be because the contractor has to do extra work. That’s just typical corporate BS. “We have to obey the law” costs will go up, LOL. Totally unacceptable answer and the reason we will continue to not solve our immigration issues, just like I noted previously.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

It's entirely fair to value immigrants and immigrant labor, to want a legal immigration system that is sane, reasonable, practical, enforceable and humane, to recognize that the current system is dysfunctional, and also to object to supposedly simple fixes because every supposedly simple fix has complications downstream.

Donny and his supporters Do. Not. Care. They don't want any of the things that we want.

Immigration is simply the mask they wear to convince themselves they're not racist. They don't care about the Italian who overstayed a visa or the kid who was born here to an Irish mom. They don't care about the Ukrainian asylum seeker one way or another. They want to round up brown people and Asians, whether they're here legally or not. The Operation Wetback Donny is salivating over deported legal American citizens whose family had been here for generations. The cruelty is the point.

I remember when the 1986 federal law was passed, I was working in San Francisco and a few restaurants were busted in the first year for hiring illegals and then enforcement seamed to stop. I have no doubt that restaurants were still hiring illegal workers, but it seemed that ICE stopped checking. There are street corners in So Cal where illegal workers congregate and they get hired for construction jobs and even wealthy people hire them for work on their properties.

The current system is broken, as has been said we need a new immigration process. Those wanting to immigrate should apply from their own country and based on their job skills would be admitted. Admission based on family connections hasn't worked.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

And, currently, more Americans, by far, think Biden is too old than think TOS is, despite being only 3.5 years younger than Joe, can't figure out that Nikki Haley isn't Nancy Pelosi, and introduced his "beautiful wife", Mercedes!

If TOS and the ReThugs tell most Americans that dog shit on a bun is a premier burger they'll gobble it down and INSIST it was delicious, even when it makes them sick, and their kids die. America is sick, possibly terminally sick.

As for Democrats and Liberals (and many here, sadly), A democrat, like Biden, Obama, Clinton, Carter, can be what they want on 10,000 things, but there will be ONE thing they don't like and...they're voting to primary the guy, third party, or even for ReThugs! I just don't get it.

JIf you don't like how Biden is handling the Gaza crisis, WHY would you go with TOS who will support BiBi (not just Israel) 110%?
If you don't like Biden's handling of the border crisis, why would you go with TOS who TORPEDOED the plan that gave ReThugs 95% of what they wanted?
If you believe in "Family Values"....well, SHIT! You know.....

Why is license to hate EVERYTHING to TOS voters?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:53 am And, currently, more Americans, by far, think Biden is too old than think TOS is, despite being only 3.5 years younger than Joe, can't figure out that Nikki Haley isn't Nancy Pelosi, and introduced his "beautiful wife", Mercedes!

If TOS and the ReThugs tell most Americans that dog shit on a bun is a premier burger they'll gobble it down and INSIST it was delicious, even when it makes them sick, and their kids die. America is sick, possibly terminally sick.

As for Democrats and Liberals (and many here, sadly), A democrat, like Biden, Obama, Clinton, Carter, can be what they want on 10,000 things, but there will be ONE thing they don't like and...they're voting to primary the guy, third party, or even for ReThugs! I just don't get it.

JIf you don't like how Biden is handling the Gaza crisis, WHY would you go with TOS who will support BiBi (not just Israel) 110%?
If you don't like Biden's handling of the border crisis, why would you go with TOS who TORPEDOED the plan that gave ReThugs 95% of what they wanted?
If you believe in "Family Values"....well, SHIT! You know.....

Why is license to hate EVERYTHING to TOS voters?
It's time to begin thinking about how to survive in the US over the next decade (I'm in my 80s so anything beyond the next decade is simply NMP).
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

If Trump was the current incumbent he'd look old and probably have problems getting around. That job has to be the worst, you're never off duty as there is always a crisis looming in world affairs, in the US or within their parties. Look at before and after pictures of the men that have held the US presidency, it's a killer job. FDR was disabled going into office but had energy and was animated, look at pictures of him in his 4th term before he died and he looked like a dead man walking. FDR was only 63 when he died, he was president during WWII.

Maybe we should change the presidency so it's one 5 year term and the incumbent can't be reelected. On maybe like Mexico it should be a single 6 year term and that's it. In parliamentary systems of government the head of state and the head of government are two separate offices, in the US it's one person. Any changes would involve amending the Constitution.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:51 am If Trump was the current incumbent he'd look old and probably have problems getting around. That job has to be the worst, you're never off duty as there is always a crisis looming in world affairs, in the US or within their parties. Look at before and after pictures of the men that have held the US presidency, it's a killer job. FDR was disabled going into office but had energy and was animated, look at pictures of him in his 4th term before he died and he looked like a dead man walking. FDR was only 63 when he died, he was president during WWII.

Maybe we should change the presidency so it's one 5 year term and the incumbent can't be reelected. On maybe like Mexico it should be a single 6 year term and that's it. In parliamentary systems of government the head of state and the head of government are two separate offices, in the US it's one person. Any changes would involve amending the Constitution.
A six year term would give the president time to enable his/her agenda. Then we vote someone else in. I also think we need to limit Federal judges and not have the lifetime appointments. Also they should have to file full financial disclosures, including their spouses, quarterly, and make them public. Same for the President and the Congress Critters.
Last edited by TrueTexan on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:51 am If Trump was the current incumbent he'd look old and probably have problems getting around. That job has to be the worst, you're never off duty as there is always a crisis looming in world affairs, in the US or within their parties. Look at before and after pictures of the men that have held the US presidency, it's a killer job. FDR was disabled going into office but had energy and was animated, look at pictures of him in his 4th term before he died and he looked like a dead man walking. FDR was only 63 when he died, he was president during WWII.

It has historically been made to look like the job tears people down. How much of it is that prior to being president we use all sorts of makeup tricks to make candidates look youthful. After election we let them age out naturally and all of a sudden the grey hairs appear and makeup is less. That doesn’t mean some don’t deteriorate from stress, but I think there is more to it than just the stress of the job aging a president. It’s our society and the perception it demands to be filled.

Reforming the institutions wouldn’t be a bad idea. Returning back to the VP being the runner up wouldn’t be bad either. It would give the losing party a voice and encourage compromise within the administration. Also the VP as the head of senate would guarantee that the senate wouldn’t become a rubber stamp for the president. We’ve diminished the roles significantly from what the constitution laid out.

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:23 am

It has historically been made to look like the job tears people down. How much of it is that prior to being president we use all sorts of makeup tricks to make candidates look youthful. After election we let them age out naturally and all of a sudden the grey hairs appear and makeup is less. That doesn’t mean some don’t deteriorate from stress, but I think there is more to it than just the stress of the job aging a president. It’s our society and the perception it demands to be filled.
Yes, Reagan dyed his hair when he was president and since Nixon looked shifty with his dark beard in the 1960s debates, candidates use makeup. The presidency is a younger mans/womans job.