45 Democratic Maine State Reps urge Cabela's to stop selling "military style, semi-automatic weapons"...

...because the Lewiston shooter bought a handgun there.

https://wgme.com/resources/pdf/557e5ebb ... b.2024.pdf
When entering your Scarborough, Maine, store, one only needs to enter the Hunting Department
to see the rows of military-style weapons – a painful reminder that a man used one of these
weapons to kill 18 citizens of our state. As Maine's only Cabela's location, pulling out all the
stops to bring a serious outdoor experience to Mainers and visitors alike can include positive
outdoor enthusiasts’ experiences while also doing your part to keep Mainers safe.
Maine lawmakers call on Cabela's, Kittery Trading Post to stop selling 'assault rifles'

A similar letter was sent to the Kittery Trading Post.
https://wgme.com/resources/pdf/89cd6dea ... b.2024.pdf
On your website, you note that Bing Adams, the founder of the Trading Post, was an “honest
horse trader.” Your website states, “A visit to The Post BEFORE a hunt would involve stocking
up on hunting supplies for the trip[.]” We urge you to focus your inventory and display space on
living up to this intention – by supporting the hunters and sportspeople of Maine and those who
visit here, and by ceasing the sale of military-style weapons intended for war.
So sell only what Democrats want you to sell.

Re: 45 Democratic Maine State Reps urge Cabela's to stop selling "military style, semi-automatic weapons"...

The term “modern sporting rifle,” aka MSR, was coined to describe today’s very popular semi-automatic rifle designs, including the AR-15 and similar variants. These rifles are used by hunters, competitors, millions of Americans seeking home-defense guns and many others who simply enjoy going to the range. The modular nature of the platform allows it to be configured for various applications and body types. Despite their popularity, modern sporting rifles are widely misunderstood. Why? Confusion exists because though these rifles look like military rifles, they do not function the same way. Also, groups wanting to ban these rifles have for years purposely spread misinformation about them to aid their cause, including using the terms “assault rifle” and “weapons of war.” MSRs have been utilized by law-abiding Americans since the 1960’s. They are functionally similar to any other semiautomatic rifle and the cosmetic misnomers do not change that fact. MSRs are not machine guns and are subject to all local, state, and federal regulations including the 1968 Gun Control Act and the 1934 National Firearms Act.
https://www.nssf.org/msr/

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: 45 Democratic Maine State Reps urge Cabela's to stop selling "military style, semi-automatic weapons"...

VodoundaVinci wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:44 am
The term “modern sporting rifle,” aka MSR, was coined to describe today’s very popular semi-automatic rifle designs, including the AR-15 and similar variants. These rifles are used by hunters, competitors, millions of Americans seeking home-defense guns and many others who simply enjoy going to the range. The modular nature of the platform allows it to be configured for various applications and body types. Despite their popularity, modern sporting rifles are widely misunderstood. Why? Confusion exists because though these rifles look like military rifles, they do not function the same way. Also, groups wanting to ban these rifles have for years purposely spread misinformation about them to aid their cause, including using the terms “assault rifle” and “weapons of war.” MSRs have been utilized by law-abiding Americans since the 1960’s. They are functionally similar to any other semiautomatic rifle and the cosmetic misnomers do not change that fact. MSRs are not machine guns and are subject to all local, state, and federal regulations including the 1968 Gun Control Act and the 1934 National Firearms Act.
https://www.nssf.org/msr/

VooDoo
The dems keep pressing the wrong button. They’ve been given the green light and told by biden that an AWB is his major goal. No amount of facts and statistics will change their stance as long as the “shadow party” rules the democratic party. The bloomies are on a roll and see this as an opportunity for a mandate. If they win in November, they will claim that mandate no matter what actual support there is for an AWB. All semiautomatic guns, rifles and handguns will end up being “assault weapons”. That’s their goal.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

What about selling a used M1 Carbine from Cabela's "Gun Library?" Is that a problem?

Isn't that an "assault weapon?" Let's see:
Semi-automatic rifle; check.
Intermediate power cartridge; check.
Detachable "high capacity" magazine; check.
Optional folding or telescoping stock; check.
Barrel shroud; check. (Usually called a "handguard" but it's the same thing.)
Optional clamp-on flash hider; check.

Yep, it's an assault weapon.

Funny, in the 1960s, Sears would ship one to your door WITHOUT A BACKGROUND CHECK. Even worse, if I'm not mistaken, the US government would sell you one through the CMP that was an ACTUAL, FACTUAL WEAPON OF WAR, carried by US or allied soldiers in a real live army and maybe even fired in a real live battle and used to kill real live people. And yet, no one was worried about these being used in "mass shootings."

It's almost like it's not the rifles that are a problem, here.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I find it ironic the anti's complain about the AR-15 as an assault weapon. Yet my Ruger Ranch Mini-14 is okay as it is a hunting rifle. Both use the same 5.56 cartridge and are semi-automatic rifles. Yet the antis go totally batshit crazy when they see a AR-15 but not the Ruger Ranch mini -14. To them ignorance is bliss. Reminds me back in the 1960s and early 70s people would get a VW Bug and swap the body with a fiberglass replica of the Lotus Europa sports car. Well, it looked like a sports car but its isn't one. Same with the AR-15, it looks like one but it isn't. Just like the guys you see in their camo with the amour and their AR-15 slung across their beer belly playing soldier.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:10 pm I find it ironic the anti's complain about the AR-15 as an assault weapon. Yet my Ruger Ranch Mini-14 is okay as it is a hunting rifle. Both use the same 5.56 cartridge and are semi-automatic rifles. Yet the antis go totally batshit crazy when they see a AR-15 but not the Ruger Ranch mini -14. To them ignorance is bliss. Reminds me back in the 1960s and early 70s people would get a VW Bug and swap the body with a fiberglass replica of the Lotus Europa sports car. Well, it looked like a sports car but its isn't one. Same with the AR-15, it looks like one but it isn't. Just like the guys you see in their camo with the amour and their AR-15 slung across their beer belly playing soldier.
Once they get the AR-15 banned, don’t worry they will come for your Ruger as well.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

How many of them would consider a Garand a "military style" rifle? How about a 1903? Or a Winchester lever-action carbine?

Weren't all used as military weapons at some point?

I'm politically far enough left that I might even skew the balance here, but I aim for intellectual integrity in my published positions.

And my AR might look like a military rifle, but so do a lot of other rifles I've seen that have wood stocks.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Yeah, the request is foolish. Geez. I think more lives would be saved if Congress went after gas station sushi.

Not to be so obvious, but the actual issues, the actual things which actually threaten our survial are very difficult to confront--but hey, gotta get re elected first...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

BearPaws wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:58 pm How many of them would consider a Garand a "military style" rifle? How about a 1903? Or a Winchester lever-action carbine?

Weren't all used as military weapons at some point?

I'm politically far enough left that I might even skew the balance here, but I aim for intellectual integrity in my published positions.

And my AR might look like a military rifle, but so do a lot of other rifles I've seen that have wood stocks.
That’s the problem, these people have been duped by the bloomie types running the shadow party. They don’t know anything including that some of the best hunting rifles used in the last century were either old military rifles or their clones. But, illogic and fear mongering seems to be all that’s needed so the end result is everything gets banned one after another.

Still and always my question, my fear, is exactly *what* do these people who hate gun owners have planned for them when we are disarmed? What are they planning to do to me that they seriously think I'm going to want to shoot them for? It'd have to be pretty heinous and I'm skeered it is. The antis want me disarmed and I'm a law abiding perfect neighbor who obeys all the laws, pays my taxes, and I'm kind and helpful to all.

They gotta know this will never work at stopping mass shooting or gun crimes. So what's the real agenda?

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:34 pm Still and always my question, my fear, is exactly *what* do these people who hate gun owners have planned for them when we are disarmed? What are they planning to do to me that they seriously think I'm going to want to shoot them for? It'd have to be pretty heinous and I'm skeered it is. The antis want me disarmed and I'm a law abiding perfect neighbor who obeys all the laws, pays my taxes, and I'm kind and helpful to all.

They gotta know this will never work at stopping mass shooting or gun crimes. So what's the real agenda?

VooDoo
It’s no mystery what they are planning. First they are neoliberal corporatist elites. They don’t need us armed when they plan to make us redundant. Technology advances and society is not preparing to make adjustments that guarantee that everyone will be taken care of. Eventually many of us won’t be needed. The elites will live in their walled enclaves and they want to make sure the masses will be no threat to their status quo with their profits and wealth intact. Just remember it’s types like bloomie who want as disarmed. It’s no mystery.