Re: Coffee- Home Roasting

Wino wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:24 am Did three 1 lb. batches yesterday before heat set in. Costa Rico Terrazu; Mexican Nextlalpan - very dark roast; Guatemalan Huehuetenango. Appears two pounds gets me thru 30 days on average.
Duplicated this roast today. Plus have order placed for 5# each Columbian Exselso; (dropped Huehue, Terazzu & replaced with a Peruvian blend) and Mex Nextlalpan.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Got my Columbian Exselso, Peruvian blend and Mexican Nextlalpan yesterday. Today did 1 lb. batches of Columbian, dark roast and Peruvian medium or city roast. The Exselso was weird in that barely could hear 1st. crack or second, almost over did the roasting and went more by sight than sound. It also had minimal chaff, so thought maybe old coffee bean - but package stated from 2023 harvest. I'll give it a brew in a couple of days after degassing. Both were washed process.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Did three more one pound batches yesterday - Mexican, Peruvian & Guat. Hueheu ! Cooler weather has increased coffee consumption.

AlterCocker wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:07 am Scientists at the University of Oregon, working with volcanic experts in research verified by an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at Portland State University, have discovered the secret to perfect espresso roasting.

They're in the Pacific Northwest, so this is indisputable.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/d ... t-espresso
I'm guessing they may be talking about blade coffee grinders as adding water to a conical burr grinder would be a cleaning nightmare. I have one blade and three conical burr grinders - static isn't a problem with any of them. So I'm calling their findings interesting, but bullshit. Burr grinders much preferred as blade grinders introduce more heat to the process which can alter flavor - not to me, my taste buds died years ago! LOL

AlterCocker wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:07 am Scientists at the University of Oregon, working with volcanic experts in research verified by an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at Portland State University, have discovered the secret to perfect espresso roasting.

A mist of water added just before grinding is something that's been done by some for some time. Quite a few of the truly anal espresso brewing videos online show a spritz of water applied just before grinding.
Here's one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkTFL4AGiBA
I've never have seen or noticed any static charge produced by any of the three burr grinders I've owned.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Wino wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:59 am

I'm guessing they may be talking about blade coffee grinders as adding water to a conical burr grinder would be a cleaning nightmare. I have one blade and three conical burr grinders - static isn't a problem with any of them. So I'm calling their findings interesting, but bullshit. Burr grinders much preferred as blade grinders introduce more heat to the process which can alter flavor - not to me, my taste buds died years ago! LOL
I have two comments: One, the idea that Seattle coffee is so fantastic is, to me, hilarious and bizarre. Their coffees all taste burnt and tarry. Classic Diner coffee here in the New York Metro Area is far better, and there is better coffee than that.

I don't like blade grinders because you cannot grind the coffee evenly enough. It's just not consistent.

I go by the coffee bean's aroma. If it smells rough and burnt it will taste that way.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:21 pm I have two comments: One, the idea that Seattle coffee is so fantastic is, to me, hilarious and bizarre. Their coffees all taste burnt and tarry. Classic Diner coffee here in the New York Metro Area is far better, and there is better coffee than that.
Starbucks doesn't sell coffee. They sell $6 liquid candy bars.

AlterCocker wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:30 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:21 pm I have two comments: One, the idea that Seattle coffee is so fantastic is, to me, hilarious and bizarre. Their coffees all taste burnt and tarry. Classic Diner coffee here in the New York Metro Area is far better, and there is better coffee than that.
Is that all their shitty coffee drinks cost? I ONLY drink Starbucks when I'm DESPERATE for caffeine and have no other option.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:36 pm
AlterCocker wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:30 pm
Is that all their shitty coffee drinks cost? I ONLY drink Starbucks when I'm DESPERATE for caffeine and have no other option.
That's amusing !! Sounds like myself. Last time I had Starbucks was some 20+ years ago in Chicago at the Drake Hotel lobby whilst attending a bulk material handling convention and on an expense account. It was $5 then for just plain coffee. Have never spent one cent of my money at Starbucks.

Couple of one pound batches yesterday - Columbian Excelso & Guatemalan Huehue. My sweet spot, using Presto air popper, is 3/4 cup beans, which requires four roasts per bean pound. Thought I would take a short cut and go for double batch 1.5 cup - killed the popper before I could even start stirring - over heat. Had to empty, remeasure and allow popper to cool down to finish.
Have bought an 8.5" x 4" x 3" glass lamp chimney to use when popper roasting which I hope will replace the Presto poppers chute lid and help retain beans better during early part of roast. Should fit throat of popper and make more efficient, I hope!

Wino wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:54 am Couple of one pound batches yesterday - Columbian Excelso & Guatemalan Huehue. My sweet spot, using Presto air popper, is 3/4 cup beans, which requires four roasts per bean pound. Thought I would take a short cut and go for double batch 1.5 cup - killed the popper before I could even start stirring - over heat. Had to empty, remeasure and allow popper to cool down to finish.
Have bought an 8.5" x 4" x 3" glass lamp chimney to use when popper roasting which I hope will replace the Presto poppers chute lid and help retain beans better during early part of roast. Should fit throat of popper and make more efficient, I hope!
You seem committed to roasting; it might be time for you to move to a dedicated roster.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

[quote=Wino post_id=907592 time=1704656204 user_id=4869]
papa - what's the green adapter made of or from??
[/quote]

I believe it was a salmon can. The taper was a good fit into the opening of the popper. I recycle so had a lot of cans for trial and error. Works pretty good, and as a certified klutz, safer for me than glass.

papajim2jordan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:26 pm
Wino wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:36 pm papa - what's the green adapter made of or from??
I believe it was a salmon can. The taper was a good fit into the opening of the popper. I recycle so had a lot of cans for trial and error. Works pretty good, and as a certified klutz, safer for me than glass.
My self! I'll be amazed if my chimney makes it thru first use intact.

Nice cool winter morning on patio and great day for roasting. Love the house aroma on these days as beans cool and cannistered to degas. Did three one lb. batches, again - Last of Costa Rican Terrazzu medium; Guat. light Huehue; Columbian dark Excelso. When I bag my five pound new beans in one pound vac bags, i show 1 lb. on scale. Today I weighed finished cooled beans - seems I'm losing about 2-2.5 ounces in weight from raw to roasted on average. In future I will use oz. scale on new beans for greater accuracy. I have effectively done what all the food grocers are doing - 14 oz. one pound. LOL Still, roasting worth the cost and effort, just in the matter I'm doing something I enjoy rather than contemplating my belly lint. Not to mention quality and roasting control.
Did all three batches using my new glass chimney. Still use the popper lid and stir beans with stick for first 1.5 minutes to knock as much chaff off as possible. When the chaff shower ends, swap to chimney and let it rip. Makes for much more efficient roasting. Had no overheat shut downs which I thought might happen. Very happy with chimney decision and surprised made it thru no breakage.