250,000 Floridians Get Kicked Off Medicaid as DeSantis Rakes in Big Donor Cash

Hundreds of thousands of poor Floridians have been kicked off Medicaid in recent weeks as their Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, travels the country for his 2024 presidential bid and rakes in campaign cash from big donors.

Florida is one of more than a dozen states that have begun unwinding pandemic-era rules barring states from removing people from Medicaid during the public health emergency. Late last year, Congress reached a bipartisan deal to end the so-called continuous coverage requirements, opening the door to a massive purge of the lifesaving healthcare program.

A dozen states have released early data on the number of people removed from Medicaid as they restart eligibility checks, a cumbersome process that many people ultimately fail to navigate.

So far, the statistics are alarming: More than 600,000 people across the U.S. have been stripped of Medicaid coverage since April, according to a KFF Health Newsanalysis of the available data, and "the vast majority were removed from state rolls for not completing paperwork" rather than confirmed ineligibility.

Nearly 250,000 people who have been booted from Medicaid live in Florida, whose governor is a longtime opponent of public healthcare programs. As HuffPost's Jonathan Cohn wrote Sunday, DeSantis "has refused to support the ACA's Medicaid expansion for the state, which is the biggest reason that more than 12% of Floridians don't have health insurance."

"That's the fourth-highest rate in the country," Cohn noted.

But DeSantis, who has said he wants to "make America Florida," appears unmoved by the staggering number of people losing Medicaid in his state as he hits the campaign trail. The governor relied heavily on large contributors to bring in more than $8 million during the first 24 hours of his presidential bid.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/desa ... h-medicaid

A prime example of the thinking of the GOPathetic party’s idea of healthcare, following the Rick Scott idea, If I can’t make a profit from it even by illegal means get rid of it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: 250,000 Floridians Get Kicked Off Medicaid as DeSantis Rakes in Big Donor Cash

VodoundaVinci wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:48 am I'm betting a significant number of folks will have to leave Florida after losing their Medicaid for more lenient States. I wonder how that'll work out for Florida and DeSantis.

VooDoo
Few of the folks affected have the means to move, sadly. Some feel compelled to stay close to family (who also lack the means to move), compounding the problem.

The cruelty is the whole point of anything DeSantis does.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: 250,000 Floridians Get Kicked Off Medicaid as DeSantis Rakes in Big Donor Cash

VodoundaVinci wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:48 am I'm betting a significant number of folks will have to leave Florida after losing their Medicaid for more lenient States. I wonder how that'll work out for Florida and DeSantis.

VooDoo
I don't think deSatan's message will fly with the largest voting block, the unaffiliated middle. Like the orange turd, he likes to throw red meat to his lemming base but alienates BIG chunks of the electorate. ANY woman, person of color, non christian, member of the LGBTQ community that votes for the likes of pence, deSatan or the traitor, trump, has got to be outta their mind.