Re: Federal government and protecting transgender communities

Gay Days at Disney World in Orlando presents a conflict for some in the LGBT community. Support Disney who is locked in legal battles with DeSantis for supporting the LGBT community or boycott Florida because of it's anti-LGBT laws.
Tens of thousands of LGBTQ+ people are flocking to central Florida this weekend to go on theme park rides, mingle with costumed performers, dance at all-night parties and lounge poolside at hotels during Gay Days, a decades-long tradition. Even though Gov. Ron DeSantis and Florida lawmakers have championed a slew of anti-LGBTQ+ laws — spurring the most prominent gay rights group in the U.S. and other civil rights organizations to issue warnings the Sunshine State may no longer be safe — Gay Days organizers are still encouraging visitors from around the world to come to one of Florida’s largest gay and lesbian celebrations.

They say a large turnout will send a message that LGBTQ+ people are not going away in Florida, which is continually one of the most popular states for tourists to visit. If the hoped-for 150,000 or more visitors come to the half-week of pool parties, drag bingo and thrill rides at Orlando’s theme parks and hotels, then “that’s the point,” said Joseph Clark, CEO of Gay Days Inc.
https://apnews.com/article/florida-disn ... f73e097600

Meanwhile litigation continues over Florida's anti-trans laws and new laws in other states.
https://lambdalegal.org/blogs/us_202305 ... gbtq-laws/
https://www.thehrcfoundation.org/impact ... d-advocacy
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I’m glad to see some of you have come around and are supporting an independent running for office. I take that to mean y’all no longer think casting a vote for a third party is the same as voting for a republican. Or does that tolerance just apply to people you like. A bit of a sidetrack from the OP, but working to find common ground used to be a thing in politics. It’s probably the only thing that will save this union.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:34 am I’m glad to see some of you have come around and are supporting an independent running for office. I take that to mean y’all no longer think casting a vote for a third party is the same as voting for a republican. Or does that tolerance just apply to people you like. A bit of a sidetrack from the OP, but working to find common ground used to be a thing in politics. It’s probably the only thing that will save this union.
Depends on which election.

If it's a primary then sure, choose whoever you think would be the best choice.

If it's a General election then unless the independent drew more votes in the primary than either the Republican or Democratic candidates it is simply stupid to choose to waste your vote of a candidate that has no chance of winning the General election.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:42 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:34 am I’m glad to see some of you have come around and are supporting an independent running for office. I take that to mean y’all no longer think casting a vote for a third party is the same as voting for a republican. Or does that tolerance just apply to people you like. A bit of a sidetrack from the OP, but working to find common ground used to be a thing in politics. It’s probably the only thing that will save this union.

If it's a General election then unless the independent drew more votes in the primary than either the Republican or Democratic candidates it is simply stupid to choose to waste your vote of a candidate that has no chance of winning the General election.
It’s never a waste to vote your conscience and your positions. So I guess I’ll be stupid. Voting for candidates that guarantee status quo or don’t support your issues isn’t exactly productive. There will be no change and we are at the same position we are now. The government and administration tip toeing around a subject they should adamantly support and vocally push at every opportunity.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Right on sig!
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

sikacz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:51 am

It’s never a waste to vote your conscience and your positions. So I guess I’ll be stupid. Voting for candidates that guarantee status quo or don’t support your issues isn’t exactly productive. There will be no change and we are at the same position we are now. The government and administration tip toeing around a subject they should adamantly support and vocally push at every opportunity.
Yup, the parties block third parties from forming, because they don't want the competition with voters and the competition raising money among billionaire donors. Each party vilifies all of their opponents candidates and labels them as fascists or communists. Then they say to those who lean left or right, if you don't vote for us who are you going to vote for. The reply from voters in many elections is, they just don't vote.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

In a true ranked choice system I would absolutely vote third party. Otherwise, it depends on my goal. For example, in 2016 and 2020 my goal was keeping Trump out of office. Voting for a third party candidate who is polling in the single digits or isn't even on the ballot in every state would have run counter to my goal.

If the "worst" candidate in a given election was relatively benign or the Democrat was truly just as bad as the republican, I would vote third party but from my perspective, that is rarely the case. Usually, I'm voting to keep the worst people out of office.

True ranked choice would solve the "wasted vote" problem because I'd know that my vote would go to my second choice if my first choice didn't receive enough of the total to advance. If people didn't have to worry about throwing their vote away or about vote splitting, a lot more of them would vote third party and those parties would grow. It wouldn't happen overnight, but it would happen.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Greengunner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:18 pm
In a true ranked choice system I would absolutely vote third party. Otherwise, it depends on my goal. For example, in 2016 and 2020 my goal was keeping Trump out of office. Voting for a third party candidate who is polling in the single digits or isn't even on the ballot in every state would have run counter to my goal.

If the "worst" candidate in a given election was relatively benign or the Democrat was truly just as bad as the republican, I would vote third party but from my perspective, that is rarely the case. Usually, I'm voting to keep the worst people out of office.

True ranked choice would solve the "wasted vote" problem because I'd know that my vote would go to my second choice if my first choice didn't receive enough of the total to advance. If people didn't have to worry about throwing their vote away or about vote splitting, a lot more of them would vote third party and those parties would grow. It wouldn't happen overnight, but it would happen.
That’s your right and your judgment. That is your right as a voter to make the choice you feel is right. What I can’t tolerate is the people who do not respect my right and my choice to vote as I determine correct. In effect I’m being told I don’t have the right to vote as I choose. My right is limited by their judgement and their desire for an outcome. My judgement and perspective is made subservient to another’s. At that point it ceases to be a right.

And it diverges from the OP at this point. Start another thread on voting.

Another issue with being an independent; that really hinders your campaign is that you don’t have access to any fundraising data. The dems have “Act Blue” (and the repugs have what ever their system is) which in a dem/rep campaign you can get all the data about people’s donations history in your area. I donated to Tim Ryans campaign last year, and they have all that data about me for future fundraising.

As an independent, I have to go through the registered voter data from the county election board, manually to figure out which doors to knock. I’m probably going to be able to run a campaign on the cheap for around 5-10K which largely will just be funded from donations from people I know & my own money. Basically, to buy signs, mailers and t-shirts. To Put that in perspective; local state house reps in a competitive race campaigns can cost 100k easy.

The system is highly unbalanced to an independent. They have really put their finger on the scale against you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sikacz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:50 pm
Greengunner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:18 pm

That’s your right and your judgment. That is your right as a voter to make the choice you feel is right. What I can’t tolerate is the people who do not respect my right and my choice to vote as I determine correct. In effect I’m being told I don’t have the right to vote as I choose. My right is limited by their judgement and their desire for an outcome. My judgement and perspective is made subservient to another’s. At that point it ceases to be a right.

And it diverges from the OP at this point. Start another thread on voting.
No, no one is telling you that you do not have the right to vote.

What many of us are saying is that voting for a candidate that has no chance of winning only helps the worst possible successful candidate.
jim

Depends on the candidate, doesn't it? If the 'independent' is progressive, it takes votes from the Dem..if the 'independent' is somebody like a 'never trumper' but leans towards fascism, like pence, then it takes from the GOP.

'Common Ground'..copy to assholes like trump...

What sig230 above said..Vote or don't for whomever you wish. BUT, if you don't vote, no right to complain about the outcome if somebody like the old, fat orange turd gets elected. Unless you are happy about that, of course.

cooper wrote:
sikacz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:50 pm And it diverges from the OP at this point. Start another thread on voting.
Agreed. Would be an interesting thread if approached with respect.

Would also be interested in a thread about invictus' election experience, if he's so inclined.
I’ll start one once things get really moving.

We don’t even file my petition until august; then things will move fast. I’ll even set a Venmo so you can donate to my campaign; lol j/k.

The reason for not filing sooner is that I don’t want rain all the MAGA fire down on my position yet. Especially since I’m not hiding my views on being pro-rights. Pro LGBTQ, Pro choice, Pro US Constitution & Bill of rights & pro equality of all US persons under the law. These have always been my views. I’m also pretty supportive of local & well run corporate businesses (not obviously insane, unregulated, chrony capitalism). I’m believe in an affirmative “peace through strength” national defense. I think we should use tax dollars to support and provide security to vulnerable, populations because it’s actually both better for society in the long run & will save us money if people have proper access to health care & mental health services - if this causes billionaires to actually have to pay the same marginal tax rate as me, too bad.

To the point of “taking away votes from a democrat”: it’s a non-partisan election, but people are often endorsed by the local party. Right now, no one endorsed by the local Democratic Party is running. Not to say that couldn’t change; At that point, I will evaluate the realities. I’m actually really interested in the job; but yeah going through a campaign is obviously no fun.

cooper wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:34 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:50 pm And it diverges from the OP at this point. Start another thread on voting.

Would also be interested in a thread about invictus' election experience, if he's so inclined.
Agree.
And Sig with all due respect, you just proved my point by dismissing my logic and claiming yours was right. You’re negating my analysis and goals because they do not agree with yours. That’s pretty much saying I don’t have a right to vote. Start another thread and I might engage.

highdesert wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:02 am Gay Days at Disney World in Orlando presents a conflict for some in the LGBT community. Support Disney who is locked in legal battles with DeSantis for supporting the LGBT community or boycott Florida because of it's anti-LGBT laws.
Tens of thousands of LGBTQ+ people are flocking to central Florida this weekend to go on theme park rides, mingle with costumed performers, dance at all-night parties and lounge poolside at hotels during Gay Days, a decades-long tradition. Even though Gov. Ron DeSantis and Florida lawmakers have championed a slew of anti-LGBTQ+ laws — spurring the most prominent gay rights group in the U.S. and other civil rights organizations to issue warnings the Sunshine State may no longer be safe — Gay Days organizers are still encouraging visitors from around the world to come to one of Florida’s largest gay and lesbian celebrations.

They say a large turnout will send a message that LGBTQ+ people are not going away in Florida, which is continually one of the most popular states for tourists to visit. If the hoped-for 150,000 or more visitors come to the half-week of pool parties, drag bingo and thrill rides at Orlando’s theme parks and hotels, then “that’s the point,” said Joseph Clark, CEO of Gay Days Inc.

Meanwhile litigation continues over Florida's anti-trans laws and new laws in other states.
I heard a rumor going around that all Drag Queens change their name to Rhonda Santis. lol
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:55 am
highdesert wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:02 am Gay Days at Disney World in Orlando presents a conflict for some in the LGBT community. Support Disney who is locked in legal battles with DeSantis for supporting the LGBT community or boycott Florida because of it's anti-LGBT laws.

I heard a rumor going around that all Drag Queens change their name to Rhonda Santis. lol
LOL

tonguengroover wrote:

I have no idea why they are so scared of drag queens.

I’ve been to several drag shows & there is more provocative dancing on Disney’s teeny bopper shows.

Again, it’s just clear ignorance & likely projections of their fears and inadequacies. About the same as “liberals” who have never safely handled or fired a gun and are deathly afraid of them and thus they should be banned.

sikacz wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:26 am
cooper wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:34 am

Agree.
And Sig with all due respect, you just proved my point by dismissing my logic and claiming yours was right. You’re negating my analysis and goals because they do not agree with yours. That’s pretty much saying I don’t have a right to vote. Start another thread and I might engage.
No, I'm dismissing your argument because all of the evidence says you are wrong.

Only elected candidates get to hold office (so far) in the US.

Voting for someone who has no chance of getting elected not only throws your vote away but also is one vote less for the lessor of the two evils that do have a chance of winning.
jim

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:36 am
tonguengroover wrote:

I have no idea why they are so scared of drag queens.

I’ve been to several drag shows & there is more provocative dancing on Disney’s teeny bopper shows.

Again, it’s just clear ignorance & likely projections of their fears and inadequacies. About the same as “liberals” who have never safely handled or fired a gun and are deathly afraid of them and thus they should be banned.

Attacking drag shows is just more of "we don't like it and it should be illegal". I hate to see drag shows combined with transgendered, it's not the same.

In San Francisco's North Beach area was a club called Finocchio's which had drag shows that starred gay and straight performers. I used to take out of town visitors there. The owners were Joe and Eve Finocchio. The performances were funny, sadly it closed in 1999.
https://hoodline.com/2022/10/rememberin ... ican-drag/

One of the funniest stories is some drunks who picked a fight with two dragged up guys, they were cage fighters.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... d-17452604

This was not a post on strategic voting and how people invalidate other people’s votes Sig. So start another thread if you want that discussion. Literally everything you’re posting as a response is invalidating the legitimacy of another persons vote. That my friend is just plain wrong.