Re: A bi-partisan Congressional group wants to ensure that AM radio is not removed from vehicles.

I had a Crosley Radio vintage probably pre-war. My dad bought it, in 1954, from another Sargent that was being transferred overseas for $5.00 It needed a new tube which dad got from the A&E Squadron radio shop for free. The Radio had AM and Shortwave also a 78 RPM turntable in the top that used steel needles. It also had a spot in the back when you flipped a switch and had the right crystal you could listen to the local police radio. . This was my radio that I used for most of my young years till 1968. It got to where it didn’t work and dad sold it at a VFW garage sale to another man that restored it. When we lived at Little Rock AFB dad helped me put up an external antenna with bell wire, for tha radio. I would listen to an AM radio station in Virginia and one in Chicago. It had great AM reception.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: A bi-partisan Congressional group wants to ensure that AM radio is not removed from vehicles.

Bisbee wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:30 pm I support the idea of legislation keeping AM radio in cars as long as any radio (FM) is going to be offered. It’s not a big expense for car manufacturers and I agree that retaining a reliable way for emergency information broadcast via cheap, effective AM just makes sense. Truly, it baffles me that Millenials can’t imagine having the internet or cellular signal go down in an emergency when people regularly experience dropped calls in their own city (oftentimes where they live) as an everyday occurrence.

Frustratingly illustrates how little people pay attention to reality and the real possibility of emergencies these days.
Agree. Goes to limited life experiences.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD# ... old%20War.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a2150 ... equencies/

https://nuke.fas.org/guide/usa/c3i/conelrad.htm

https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/Conalert.htm

http://www.conelrad.com/index.php

https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?mai ... Path=27_98

Good times, good times.
Last edited by papajim2jordan on Sat May 20, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't going well, is it?

TrueTexan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:52 pm I had a Crosley Radio vintage probably pre-war. My dad bought it, in 1954, from another Sargent that was being transferred overseas for $5.00 It needed a new tube which dad got from the A&E Squadron radio shop for free. The Radio had AM and Shortwave also a 78 RPM turntable in the top that used steel needles. It also had a spot in the back when you flipped a switch and had the right crystal you could listen to the local police radio. . This was my radio that I used for most of my young years till 1968. It got to where it didn’t work and dad sold it at a VFW garage sale to another man that restored it. When we lived at Little Rock AFB dad helped me put up an external antenna with bell wire, for tha radio. I would listen to an AM radio station in Virginia and one in Chicago. It had great AM reception.
Crosley Radio is still in business, don't know if the Crosley family still owns it.
https://www.crosleyradio.com

They even sell a jukebox for a party room.
https://www.crosleyradio.com/jukeboxes?page=1
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

We could just get China to make 350 million cheap AM transistor radios that could sell for $2 and let everyone who insists on them to buy it for $2. Problem solved!
(Batteries not included!)

Better still, I found THIS on eBay:
toiletAMRadio.JPG
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266257827226?h ... R8ii-_CHYg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:04 pm We could just get China to make 350 million cheap AM transistor radios that could sell for $2 and let everyone who insists on them to buy it for $2. Problem solved!
(Batteries not included!)

Better still, I found THIS on eBay:
toiletAMRadio.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266257827226?h ... R8ii-_CHYg
Content appropriate. WHIZ.
This isn't going well, is it?

Gotta bring back CONELRAD! I remember every radio when I was a kid had a special marker on the dial for that frequency. I think they had some titanic broadcast facility in Colorado for that.

Don't underestimate AM radio's value. I used to work midnight shifts in cars that did not have FM radio, and I could listen to music from all over the place on AM in the middle of the night. It has an amazing range, at night.

CONtrol of ELectomagnetic RADiation was a Cold War tool to confuse Russian bomber pilots that homed in on an AM station in a target city by using their assigned frequency.

If every AM station in the US went to either 640 or 1240 kHz, there would be zero chance of finding the target with radio direction finding.

The problem was broadcast stations are set up to operate on only from the regular spot on the dial, and transmitters and antennas are not easily tuned to other places on the dial. Time to change things around could take hours, and the amount of effective power would be substantially less.
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

SubRosa wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:27 pm CONtrol of ELectomagnetic RADiation was a Cold War tool to confuse Russian bomber pilots that homed in on an AM station in a target city by using their assigned frequency.

If every AM station in the US went to either 640 or 1240 kHz, there would be zero chance of finding the target with radio direction finding.

The problem was broadcast stations are set up to operate on only from the regular spot on the dial, and transmitters and antennas are not easily tuned to other places on the dial. Time to change things around could take hours, and the amount of effective power would be substantially less.
I remember the tone on the radio and the announcement that it was a test of the CONELRAD Alert system.

I assume that Russian or Chinese pilots would be using GPS to reach their targets. Is it still needed or just another relic of the Cold War? Does modern broadcasting equipment make it easier and faster to retune a station to 640 or 1240?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

jc57 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:18 pm Well it worked, dinnit? Not a single Russian bomber found and bombed a US city during the entire cold war!
New Jersey is FULL of old Nike stations scattered all around the state to protect New York City. One is walking distance from my house on top of the highest point in our county. It's actually the control station--the missiles were in the next town near a road called "Nike Drive" but the old observation and AA towers are still there. These Nike stations were all Cold War Era defense systems, and, I guess it's clear it worked.

Then again, our purple sage outside our house has ensured no elephants come by the neighborhood.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Ford Motor Co. announced it is keeping AM radio available in its vehicles following pressure from lawmakers to keep it in its products. CEO Jim Farley said in a Tuesday tweet he spoke to policymakers about keeping AM radio available as part of the emergency alert system and decided it will be included in all 2024 Ford and Lincoln vehicles. He said Ford will also offer software updates to owners of its electric vehicles without AM broadcast capability. Customers can currently listen to AM radio content in a variety of ways in our vehicles — including via streaming — and we will continue to innovate to deliver even better in-vehicle entertainment and emergency notification options in the future,” Farley said.

His announcement comes after a bipartisan group of lawmakers, led by Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.), introduced legislation to require all new cars to include AM radio. Reports indicated several manufacturers like BMW, Volkswagen, Mazda and Tesla were phasing out AM radio in their vehicles because electric motors can interfere with the soundwaves for AM radio. The legislation would direct the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to issue a rule requiring automakers to keep AM radio in their vehicles with no additional payment, fee or surcharge required. Markey praised Ford for its decision “tuning into the concerns of millions of listeners, thousands of broadcasters and countless emergency management officials.” He said AM radio is an essential safety feature and a free, accessible source for music, news, sports and entertainment.

“Innovation in the automotive industry should mean more features, not fewer, for consumers. Ford’s reversal reflects an overdue realization about the importance of AM radio, but too many automakers are still going the wrong direction,” he said in a release. “Congress must pass my AM for Every Vehicle Act to maintain access to AM radio for years to come.” The release states eight out of 20 major automakers he wrote to responded that they did not plan to incorporate AM radio in their vehicles in the future. Ford initially removed AM radio from the 2023 Mustang Mach-e and F-150 Lightning electric pickup trucks after data showed less than 5 percent of customers listened to it, according to a Ford spokesperson.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee also announced Tuesday it will hold a hearing early next month on the need for AM radio to be installed in new cars. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), committee chairwoman, said in a release that AM radio is especially necessary for emergency communications when other tools are not available. “I look forward to this timely discussion on the many benefits of AM radio as a source of information and the importance of ensuring it continues to be available in new vehicle models,” she said. More than 80 million people in the U.S. listen to AM radio every month, according to the National Association of Broadcasters and Nielsen data.
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... -pressure/

NY Times had an article last December on AM radio.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/10/busi ... -cars.html
https://archive.fo/Hwvja

I can remember when AM Radios were an add on option for most cars. My dad had a 1965 Ford Fairlane with no radio or A/C. Dad’s 1954 Ford Mainline no radio, but the 1959 Fairlane did have an AM radio. I had a 1972 Ford Pinto Wagon with no radio or A/C but I installed an 8 track tape player.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:37 pm I can remember when AM Radios were an add on option for most cars. My dad had a 1965 Ford Fairlane with no radio or A/C. Dad’s 1954 Ford Mainline no radio, but the 1959 Fairlane did have an AM radio. I had a 1972 Ford Pinto Wagon with no radio or A/C but I installed an 8 track tape player.
Yeah they would put an ugly plate where the radio and cigarette lighter would go, just to remind you and anyone who sat in the car what a "cheapskate" you were. Radios, clocks, cigarette lighters, back up lights, A/C, power windows, power door locks, even windshield WASHERS were all add-on options.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:11 am
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:37 pm I can remember when AM Radios were an add on option for most cars. My dad had a 1965 Ford Fairlane with no radio or A/C. Dad’s 1954 Ford Mainline no radio, but the 1959 Fairlane did have an AM radio. I had a 1972 Ford Pinto Wagon with no radio or A/C but I installed an 8 track tape player.
Yeah they would put an ugly plate where the radio and cigarette lighter would go, just to remind you and anyone who sat in the car what a "cheapskate" you were. Radios, clocks, cigarette lighters, back up lights, A/C, power windows, power door locks, even windshield WASHERS were all add-on options.
But they did come with five full wheels with real tires. That is four on the ground and one in the trunk.

I applaud this decision by lawmakers. As others already have pointed out, wireless connectivity can be...spotty...in many areas. AM does travel a long way without using a lot of power, and for voice announcements, its fidelity is quite sufficient. In my line of work, I've learned all too well how easy it is for an adversary to take out a computer network, and that includes cell phone networks. FM is pretty good, but no, it doesn't have AM's range. In such a case, we'd want AM radio around.

There really are times when it's good to keep the older, "tried 'n' true" ways around...just in case. I believe AM radio to be one of those.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:36 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:11 am
But they did come with five full wheels with real tires. That is four on the ground and one in the trunk.
And a jack that usually worked.
Oh, and I forgot that whitewalls were another option. Pickups were even MORE stripped--the basic ones came without bumpers even in the '80's. When I got my first truck, a 1990 Isuzu extended cab (w/ 4WD) my father-in-law asked me if it came with bumpers--he had worked in auto parts for many years.

There are two bills in Congress, one in the House (HR 3413) and one in the Senate (S 1669). The "AM for Every Vehicle Act" is drawing bi-partisan support.
“If Elon Musk has enough money to buy Twitter and send rockets to space, he can afford to include AM radio in his Teslas. Instead, Elon Musk and Tesla and other car manufacturers are putting public safety and emergency response at risk,” Rep. Gottheimer said in a press release. “When the cell phone runs out, the internet gets cut off, or the television doesn’t work because of no electricity or power to your house, you can still turn on your AM radio.”

“For decades, free AM broadcast radio has been an essential tool in emergencies, a crucial part of our diverse media ecosystem, and an irreplaceable source for news, for weather, for sports, and entertainment for tens of millions of American listeners,” Sen. Markey said. Removing it “is the definition of penny-wise and pound-foolish… We cannot allow this resilient and popular communication tool to become a relic of the past.”
https://govtrackinsider.com/as-many-new ... 2683e8d5c7