Re: Investigators detail years of alleged misconduct by Texas AG Ken Paxton in stunning House committee hearing

Texas House representatives presented the articles of impeachment to the Texas Senate yesterday. Paxton's trial has to start by August 28th. The House floor managers who will argue for conviction and removal are a mix of Republicans and Democrats.
The Texas Senate agreed Monday to start its trial of impeached Attorney General Ken Paxton no later than Aug. 28, shortly after the House named 12 members to prosecute the case. The flurry of activity came on the last day of the regular legislative session and two days after the House voted overwhelmingly to impeach Paxton, alleging a yearslong pattern of misconduct and wrongdoing. Paxton has blasted the impeachment as a “politically motivated sham” and expressed hope the Senate will swiftly clear his name.

On Monday evening, the Senate unanimously adopted a resolution that laid out an initial timeline for the next steps. The Senate appointed a seven-member committee that will prepare recommendations on the rules of procedure for the trial and then present them to the full Senate on June 20. And then Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick can pick a date “not later than” Aug. 28 on which the chamber will convene as a court of impeachment. A two-thirds vote is required in the Senate to remove Paxton from office. Earlier Monday, the House announced a Republican-majority board of managers to handle the prosecution, made up of seven Republicans and five Democrats. The group immediately left the House chamber to deliver the 20 articles of impeachment to the Senate.

“We will manage this process with the weight and reference that it deserves and requires,” state Rep. Andrew Murr, a Junction Republican and chair of the board of impeachment managers, said Monday at a news conference. “This is about facts and the evidence. It is not about politics.” Joining Murr in leading the board of managers is Rep. Ann Johnson, D-Houston, the vice chair. Murr and Johnson are also the chair and vice chair of the House General Investigating Committee, which investigated Paxton and recommended his impeachment.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/29 ... -managers/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Investigators detail years of alleged misconduct by Texas AG Ken Paxton in stunning House committee hearing

Paxton's 1st Asst AG Brent Webster has temporarily taken over.
Gov. Greg Abbott can appoint a temporary replacement, according to the Texas Constitution, but he has so far not commented on the situation. Abbott, a Republican, was attorney general prior to Paxton. When the whistleblower allegations first surfaced, Abbott said they “raise serious concerns,” but also said he would “withhold further comment until the results of any investigation are complete.”
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politi ... 125424.php
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

By the way, for anyone thinking the Republicans decied to do the right thing for a change, be aware that they were perfectly willing to let him continue being AG until he demanded that the state pay the millions of dollars to settle the claims against him out of court. They only drew a line when he wanted tax money to cover up his crimes.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Wino wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:14 pm At least (hopefully) he can't do anymore damage to the state until he is cleared - so Sept. if not convicted he can go back to his criminality ways.
Or convicted and removed permanently. Interesting, ANOTHER big conflict within the GOPathetic..Much like the orange turd and deSatan. Much like the fascist 'gang of 20', House 'freedom caucus' and the debt ceiling debate. Hopefully, dim bulbs like Boebert will call for McCarthy's removal..more GOP chaos on display.

I'm 'guessing' that moderate GOP, who care about their voters and donors, will pass this thing..as will the senate...and the gang of 20 will howl..and maybe can McCarthy..worse Speaker since Newt-Wit..

Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday appointed Fort Worth lawyer and former Secretary of State John Scott as interim Texas attorney general, temporarily replacing Ken Paxton, who was suspended as attorney general pending the outcome of an impeachment trial in the state Senate. Scott previously served as deputy attorney general for civil litigation when Abbott led that office. He has more than 34 years of legal experience and has argued more than 100 cases in state and federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. After leaving the attorney general’s office, he was appointed chief operating officer of the state Health and Human Services Commission, overseeing 56,000 employees and a budget of $50 billion.

“John Scott has the background and experience needed to step in as a short-term interim Attorney General during the time the Attorney General has been suspended from duty,” Abbott said in a statement. “He served under me in the Texas Attorney General’s Office and knows how the Office of the Attorney General operates.” Scott will take leadership of an agency that has been caught up in the turmoil surrounding Paxton, who faces articles of impeachment accusing him of abusing the powers of office to benefit a friend and political donor. The accusations of misconduct were levied in 2020 by eight former top officials who quit or were fired shortly after taking their concerns about Paxton’s behavior to law enforcement. Four of the fired executives filed a whistleblower lawsuit arguing that they were improperly retaliated against by Paxton and his first deputy, Brent Webster. After Paxton was suspended from office, Webster told agency employees that he would be stepping into Paxton’s role.

Most recently, six officials and employees took a leave of absence from the agency to help with Paxton’s Senate trial. The agency had come under criticism for allowing employees to come to Paxton’s defense in the days before and after Paxton was impeached. Rep. Jeff Leach, a Republican from Plano and one of the House managers who will present the case against Paxton at the Senate impeachment trial, praised the appointment of Scott, calling him a “trusted and respected conservative.”
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/31 ... y-general/

Comptroller Glenn Hegar’s office confirmed Thursday that Attorney General Ken Paxton will not be paid his $153,750 annual salary while he is on suspension. The state’s top lawyer was removed from office last week and is awaiting his impeachment trial before the Senate, which has not yet been scheduled.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06/01 ... on-salary/

The House impeachment managers who will be arguing before the Texas Senate.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06/01 ... -managers/

Eris wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:30 am By the way, for anyone thinking the Republicans decied to do the right thing for a change, be aware that they were perfectly willing to let him continue being AG until he demanded that the state pay the millions of dollars to settle the claims against him out of court. They only drew a line when he wanted tax money to cover up his crimes.
Yep, I’m not optimistic this will play out as it should, but who knows.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Maybe they are serious ?
Legendary Texas lawyers Dick DeGuerin and Rusty Hardin will serve as lead prosecutors for the state House in the Senate impeachment trial of suspended Attorney General Ken Paxton.
Hiring really competent lawyers to head up impeachment prosecution was a surprise.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:13 am
Eris wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:30 am By the way, for anyone thinking the Republicans decied to do the right thing for a change, be aware that they were perfectly willing to let him continue being AG until he demanded that the state pay the millions of dollars to settle the claims against him out of court. They only drew a line when he wanted tax money to cover up his crimes.
Yep, I’m not optimistic this will play out as it should, but who knows.
Yes, it's a slow news cycle right now so it's getting a lot of attention. Later this month the senate select committee has to release the rules that will govern the impeachment trial and the trial has to start by August 28th. It appears that the Lt Gov presides over senate during an impeachment trial, different than federal impeachment trials.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... GV.665.htm
There’s also a great deal of power vested in the senate, and particularly in the lieutenant governor, who would serve as both acting governor and presiding officer at a suspended governor’s impeachment trial.
https://texapedia.info/txlege/impeachme ... t%20trial.

Wino wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:20 am Maybe they are serious ?
Legendary Texas lawyers Dick DeGuerin and Rusty Hardin will serve as lead prosecutors for the state House in the Senate impeachment trial of suspended Attorney General Ken Paxton.
Hiring really competent lawyers to head up impeachment prosecution was a surprise.
I think Texas Republicans have come to the conclusion that Paxton is toxic for their party and they don't want to be seen protecting a corrupt politician and don't want to be tarred by it. Republicans don't hold a supermajority in either chamber. The impeachment vote in the House was bi-partisan and to convict in the Senate will take a bi-partisan vote. Yes appointing high profile criminal attorneys to help prosecute says something.

Paxton's deputy is no longer running the AGs office, Abbott appointed an interim AG who could be the permanent one if Paxton is convicted and removed. We'll have to wait and see what happens, it could be a long hot summer. Hope the Texas Capitol building has good a/c.

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:43 am
I think Texas Republicans have come to the conclusion that Paxton is toxic for their party and they don't want to be seen protecting a corrupt politician and don't want to be tarred by it. Republicans don't hold a supermajority in either chamber. The impeachment vote in the House was bi-partisan and to convict in the Senate will take a bi-partisan vote. Yes appointing high profile criminal attorneys to help prosecute says something.

Paxton's deputy is no longer running the AGs office, Abbott appointed an interim AG who could be the permanent one if Paxton is convicted and removed. We'll have to wait and see what happens, it could be a long hot summer. Hope the Texas Capitol building has good a/c.
I kind of like the visual of hot, steamy, sweaty shirts with red faced old geezers being grilled and ultimately found guilty. Parting visual lawyers stepping into the sun lit steps with coats under arm carrying a briefcase proclaiming justice has been served.
I can dream and live in hope too! Hopefully this is the end of a sordid page in Texas history and the beginning of actual bipartisan cooperation. Not holding my breath though.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:59 am

I kind of like the visual of hot, steamy, sweaty shirts with red faced old geezers being grilled and ultimately found guilty. Parting visual lawyers stepping into the sun lit steps with coats under arm carrying a briefcase proclaiming justice has been served.

I can dream and live in hope too! Hopefully this is the end of a sordid page in Texas history and the beginning of actual bipartisan cooperation. Not holding my breath though.
LOL Ya'll do have hot steamy summers and it's predicted to be a hot one this summer. Yes both sides spinning their cases to the media on the steps of the Capitol and then they'll retire to nice air conditioned bars and sip their bourbons. Who knows what will happen, but Paxton's threats didn't work on House members and I doubt they will work on senators.

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:14 am

LOL Ya'll do have hot steamy summers and it's predicted to be a hot one this summer. Yes both sides spinning their cases to the media on the steps of the Capitol and then they'll retire to nice air conditioned bars and sip their bourbons. Who knows what will happen, but Paxton's threats didn't work on House members and I doubt they will work on senators.
I like the bar ending with ceiling fans slowly spinning! Very Texan! LoL.

At this point, I don’t believe his threats will work. He was useful for political drama, but it seems not everyone in his party wants to go for the rest of the ride.

sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:17 am

At this point, I don’t believe his threats will work. He was useful for political drama, but it seems not everyone in his party wants to go for the rest of the ride.
I like the visual of the slow moving ceiling fans rather than a/c, still red faces and sweaty bodies. And they get hotter and hotter and more red faced as they drink more bourbon or maybe it's Jack Daniel's or tequila or vodka or ... LOL

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:34 am
sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:17 am

I like the visual of the slow moving ceiling fans rather than a/c, still red faces and sweaty bodies. And they get hotter and hotter and more red faced as they drink more bourbon or maybe it's Jack Daniel's or tequila or vodka or ... LOL
Probably one of the local brands! LoL 😂!

I've got just the brand of Texas Bourbon for them - 6 yo Rebecca Creek (local distiller) Double Barrel Bourbon Whiskey !! - I bought a 750ml bottle a few days ago to try a Texas Bourbon without reading label. Took a small shot and initially thought I'd just swallowed nitric acid that tasted really good but burned going down like a bitch!! Then read label 61.5% 123 proof. This is NOT a sipping bourbon. Has a great flavor once the pain has diminished! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:50 am I've got just the brand of Texas Bourbon for them - 6 yo Rebecca Creek (local distiller) Double Barrel Bourbon Whiskey !! - I bought a 750ml bottle a few days ago to try a Texas Bourbon without reading label. Took a small shot and initially thought I'd just swallowed nitric acid that tasted really good but burned going down like a bitch!! Then read label 61.5% 123 proof. This is NOT a sipping bourbon. Has a great flavor once the pain has diminished! LOL
You may want to add a lot of crushed ice to it!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wino wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:50 am I've got just the brand of Texas Bourbon for them - 6 yo Rebecca Creek (local distiller) Double Barrel Bourbon Whiskey !! - I bought a 750ml bottle a few days ago to try a Texas Bourbon without reading label. Took a small shot and initially thought I'd just swallowed nitric acid that tasted really good but burned going down like a bitch!! Then read label 61.5% 123 proof. This is NOT a sipping bourbon. Has a great flavor once the pain has diminished! LOL
Going to have try that! Thanks!
Drink for the trail, if it gets any TV time! LoL 😂!

At 61.5% or 123 proof that's stronger that Wild Turkey at 50.5% or 101 proof.. That's in the realm of Everclear which is bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95%. Most liquor is 40-43% or ABV. I want to protect my liver.

https://rebeccacreekwhiskey.com

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:39 am At 61.5% or 123 proof that's stronger that Wild Turkey at 50.5% or 101 proof.. That's in the realm of Everclear which is bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95%. Most liquor is 40-43% or ABV. I want to protect my liver.

I cook a lot and use 151 proof Rum (Bacardi no longer makes mainly due to lawsuits from dumb asses - Cruzan is brand now used). Also, 151 tops off my Zombies when I feel like making this PITA drink from 60 yo recipe. As for my liver - I'm always surprised when told it looks good for my age considering how hard it's had to work during my life ! LOL
I wouldn't mind flambeauing Paxton's ahole considering how many times he's burned mine !! LOL

Wino wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:25 am
highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:39 am At 61.5% or 123 proof that's stronger that Wild Turkey at 50.5% or 101 proof.. That's in the realm of Everclear which is bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95%. Most liquor is 40-43% or ABV. I want to protect my liver.

I cook a lot and use 151 proof Rum (Bacardi no longer makes mainly due to lawsuits from dumb asses - Cruzan is brand now used). Also, 151 tops off my Zombies when I feel like making this PITA drink from 60 yo recipe. As for my liver - I'm always surprised when told it looks good for my age considering how hard it's had to work during my life ! LOL

I wouldn't mind flambeauing Paxton's ahole considering how many times he's burned mine !! LOL
LOL, I'm sure you'd get plenty of donations of 151 alcohol to perform that operation.

House impeachment team taps 2 top Texas lawyers, Dick DeGuerin and Rusty Hardin, to lead Ken Paxton case

The two Houston-based defense attorneys, introduced at a Capitol news conference Thursday, are legal icons in their own right, having separately represented a litany of high-profile athletes, celebrities and politicians in criminal and civil investigations.

“They are outstanding lawyers and lions of the Texas trial bar,” said David Coale, a Dallas-based appellate lawyer and legal commentator. “This is the legislature saying, ‘This isn’t just some case, this is an unusual, historic case.’ And if you want to make some history, you get some history book-level lawyers.”
Hardin is on a short list of attorneys named “Texas Legal Legends” by the State Bar of Texas’ litigation section and, before opening a private practice two decades ago, served 15 years as a prosecutor in the Harris County District Attorney’s Office.

At a brief news conference on Thursday, Hardin and DeGuerin noted that together they have more than 100 years of legal experience and said it was an honor to represent the House in Paxton’s trial, which has not been scheduled but will occur before Aug. 28, according to a resolution recently adopted by the Senate.

The two said their job was to be transparent as they lay out all of the allegations against Paxton so senators, who will sit as a jury, as well as members of the public can decide for themselves if Paxton deserves to be permanently removed from office.

“The people of the state of Texas are entitled to know whether their top cop is a crook,” DeGuerin said. “We know the importance of transparency in these proceedings because the people have a right to know.”

Hardin said he was “shocked” by the allegations against Paxton that were detailed in the 20 articles of impeachment, including bribery, retaliation and obstruction of justice. Much of the purported misconduct revolved around Paxton's longtime friendship with Austin real estate developer Nate Paul, and Paxton's decision to fire whistleblowers in his office who told authorities that Paxton had misused his office to benefit Paul. Other allegations date back to 2015, when Paxton was first indicted on securities fraud.

“This is not about a one-time misuse of office,” he said. “This is not about a two-time misuse of office. It’s about a pattern of misconduct.”

He added: "I promise you it is 10 times worse than what has been public.”
Full long article: https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06/0 ... -deguerin/

It’s going to be hard for a two bit lawyer like Paxton to win against these two lawyers.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Famed criminal defense attorney Dick DeGuerin—who has represented clients ranging from former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to convicted murderer and New York City real estate heir Robert Durst to cult leader David Koresh—is now determined to “save and protect the people of Texas from a crooked attorney general.” “The depth of corruption is astonishing,” DeGuerin told The Daily Beast, referring to beleaguered AG Ken Paxton, who is facing 20 impeachment counts regarding a raft of alarming allegations that stretch back nearly a decade.

“It’s a matter of corruption, a matter of abuse of the public trust, a matter of misuse of public resources, flat-out bribery, perjury,” said DeGuerin, a one-time prosecutor who will help make the case on the House floor for Paxton’s conviction. “It’s just conduct that convinces anyone that looks at it fairly that the office of attorney general has been abused and used for personal gain.” The evidence gathered thus far is “very strong,” and “will support every one of the 20 articles of impeachment,” according to DeGuerin.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ken-paxto ... -dunk-case

It's a typical PR boast before a trial, but DeGuerin is a defense attorney along with Rusty Hardin, they are taking on the roles of prosecutors for the Texas House. "We’ve Got a Slam Dunk Case" DeGuerin said.