Re: Greetings from Michigan

AlastorRussell wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:36 pm Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio. I was born and raised in MI & my family still
Lives there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! I was born in Southwest Ohio. My extended family mostly lives in the Middletown area.
Nice we’re opposites! I live in the Mason area.

My parents live in Temperance, Kalkaska, (and Sarasota FL in the winter lol)

Another Howdy from Houston. I grew up on the North shore of Ohio, I had to flee the winter snow. You have nothing to be shy about, every collection has to start somewhere. It appears to me that you moving in the right direction; solid start!
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

wings wrote:o/

INVICTVS, Alastor, stop it. You're going to give the interstate rivalry a bad name. We took up arms to keep Toledo, you know.:lol:
Haha, A likely poor decision if you’ve ever been there…

I think MI got the entire Upper Peninsula in exchange ? At least that’s the propaganda they thought us in MI public schools.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 am

INVICTVS, Alastor, stop it. You're going to give the interstate rivalry a bad name. We took up arms to keep Toledo, you know.:lol:

I think MI got the entire Upper Peninsula in exchange ? At least that’s the propaganda they thought us in MI public schools.

The story's accurate, actually. Michigan's original territorial boundaries only included the eastern portion of the UP, while the western portion was divided between Wisconsin and Minnesota. Andrew Jackson offered Michigan the remainder of the UP in return for Michigan ceding its claim to the Toledo Strip. This was considered a loss for Michigan at the time because the UP was just vast, unpopulated lakeshore.

Personally, I think Michigan won in the long run.

Greetings from WI.

Looks like you started with a Mossberg 500 and a Ruger 10/22. Solid choices.

Michigan's UP is my favorite place. Spent a lot of time there as a kid, and most of my happy memories are there. Went back briefly this summer to fly out of Houghton for a backpacking trip on Isle Royale.

AlastorRussell wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:20 am
highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:49 am Welcome from So Cal ! :wave: I was born in a village on Lake Michigan.
Nice! I spent six years or so in the San Diego area after college. Busy and expensive as hell, but the outdoors were hard to beat.
Yes San Diego is beautiful with perfect weather and overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It's the second largest city in CA, larger than San Jose and San Francisco with big city traffic and big city prices.

Read that Pete Buttigieg is now a resident of Traverse City, MI, no longer an Indiana resident. Much better for him if he decides to run for state or national office.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

AlastorRussell wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:11 am
INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 am

The story's accurate, actually. Michigan's original territorial boundaries only included the eastern portion of the UP, while the western portion was divided between Wisconsin and Minnesota. Andrew Jackson offered Michigan the remainder of the UP in return for Michigan ceding its claim to the Toledo Strip. This was considered a loss for Michigan at the time because the UP was just vast, unpopulated lakeshore.

Personally, I think Michigan won in the long run.
Learn something everyday, the "Toledo War".
Michigan eventually became the 26th state of the union, on the 26th of January, 1837. But its territory did not include the Toledo Strip. Instead, it gained title to the western three-quarters of the upper peninsula as compensation; 9,000 square miles of the most valuable timber, iron, and copper country in America.
https://www.michigan.gov/dmva/about/his ... 20America.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cooper wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:45 am Looks like you started with a Mossberg 500 and a Ruger 10/22. Solid choices.
Yeah, they were both firearms I'd already had some experience with, having gotten into shooting when I was with the Scouts. When I decided to get back into the hobby, they seemed like natural choices.

The M&P is a very recent purchase and is my first foray into handguns. It's very fun to shoot, but I need a lot more practice.

Michigan's UP is my favorite place. Spent a lot of time there as a kid, and most of my happy memories are there. Went back briefly this summer to fly out of Houghton for a backpacking trip on Isle Royale.
I've only been there on business, but I did have a little time to explore while I was there. It's absolutely beautiful, particularly the Superior shore. It reminds me of Maine (which is my favorite state to visit).

highdesert wrote:
highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:49 am Welcome from So Cal ! :wave: I was born in a village on Lake Michigan.
Nice! I spent six years or so in the San Diego area after college. Busy and expensive as hell, but the outdoors were hard to beat.
Yes San Diego is beautiful with perfect weather and overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It's the second largest city in CA, larger than San Jose and San Francisco with big city traffic and big city prices.

Read that Pete Buttigieg is now a resident of Traverse City, MI, no longer an Indiana resident. Much better for him if he decides to run for state or national office.
Agree with all. I was stationed in San Diego from 2003-2007 - but I spent 2 of those years at sea. Otherwise, as you stated great for the outdoors.

Interesting about Mayor Pete… but for those of you who haven’t been there - Traverse City is a great tourist town. Great brewpubs, food, local wineries and outdoor’s activity abound. I visit at least once a year. Traverse city has a huge liberal population surrounded by the more rural MAGA types in most of the “north.”

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:09 pm
highdesert wrote:

Agree with all. I was stationed in San Diego from 2003-2007 - but I spent 2 of those years at sea. Otherwise, as you stated great for the outdoors.

Interesting about Mayor Pete… but for those of you who haven’t been there - Traverse City is a great tourist town. Great brewpubs, food, local wineries and outdoor’s activity abound. I visit at least once a year. Traverse city has a huge liberal population surrounded by the more rural MAGA types in most of the “north.”

I noticed that Interlochen is in the Traverse City area, that has to be a huge draw for families and students especially during the summer. Similar one in a neighboring county where I'm at, Idyllwild Arts which is in the mountains.

I've thought about a trip to MI, it's been years since I've been there. Traverse City looks interesting, a lot to do and maybe a trip to the UP.

Buttigieg's husband's parents live in Traverse City, free babysitting and political opportunities.
https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/ ... 056889002/

AlastorRussell wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:16 am
cooper wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:45 am Looks like you started with a Mossberg 500 and a Ruger 10/22. Solid choices.
Yeah, they were both firearms I'd already had some experience with, having gotten into shooting when I was with the Scouts. When I decided to get back into the hobby, they seemed like natural choices.

The M&P is a very recent purchase and is my first foray into handguns. It's very fun to shoot, but I need a lot more practice.

I've only been there on business, but I did have a little time to explore while I was there. It's absolutely beautiful, particularly the Superior shore. It reminds me of Maine (which is my favorite state to visit).
What is the M&P chambered in?

cooper wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:24 pm
AlastorRussell wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:16 am

What is the M&P chambered in?
9mm