Re: Federal government and protecting transgender communities

sikacz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:05 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 pm All Biden can really do is to argue for language of contingency with respect to Fed funding to States. It's a messy system.

CDFingers
Yes, but he should be vocal now and he isn’t. To say nothing or not push resistance now is cowardice. A few mild comments or comments a half a year ago are meaningless. He is not testing the extent to which the federal government can punish states that are blatantly attacking the transgender community.
This is the same stuff we heard after Bush 2 gooned up the economy, then President Obama got blamed for not fixing it 'fast enough'. Then the orange turd gooned up the Covid response, then President Biden got pillored for 'not fixing it fast enough'.
I find it interesting that 'some' complain about THIS administration when the GOPathetic, ruled by dear leader, openly call for Transgendered people to be EXECUTED, but President Biden is being a 'coward'.
Well see who the LGBTQ community votes for, along with people of color, women, educated white males, anybody with half a brain who isnt blinded by places like Faux news....

BUT, easy to throw stones, easy to ignore the danger to the LGBTQ community by members of the GOP...easy to complain about Presdient Biden.

BTW-I agree with everything TongueNGroover said..

F4FEver wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:22 am
sikacz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:05 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 pm All Biden can really do is to argue for language of contingency with respect to Fed funding to States. It's a messy system.

CDFingers
Yes, but he should be vocal now and he isn’t. To say nothing or not push resistance now is cowardice. A few mild comments or comments a half a year ago are meaningless. He is not testing the extent to which the federal government can punish states that are blatantly attacking the transgender community.
This is the same stuff we heard after Bush 2 gooned up the economy, then President Obama got blamed for not fixing it 'fast enough'. Then the orange turd gooned up the Covid response, then President Biden got pillored for 'not fixing it fast enough'.
I find it interesting that 'some' complain about THIS administration when the GOPathetic, ruled by dear leader, openly call for Transgendered people to be EXECUTED, but President Biden is being a 'coward'.
Well see who the LGBTQ community votes for, along with people of color, women, educated white males, anybody with half a brain who isnt blinded by places like Faux news....

BUT, easy to throw stones, easy to ignore the danger to the LGBTQ community by members of the GOP...easy to complain about Presdient Biden.

BTW-I agree with everything TongueNGroover said..
Thanks for the back up buddy.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”
Attachments
censorship1.jpg
censorship1.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 496 times

Y’all still haven’t given an example of what the administration is doing in response to the recent set of anti transgender laws in various states. These are very recent and need a forceful response now. Links from the past and position statements are not enough. By the way, it is cowardice to not address an issue when the individuals involved hide behind political expediency. By the way, I voted for Obama both times, so comments trying to relate my actions and statements to being blindly anti democrat are inaccurate.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:25 am Y’all still haven’t given an example of what the administration is doing in response to the recent set of anti transgender laws in various states. These are very recent and need a forceful response now. Links from the past and position statements are not enough. By the way, it is cowardice to not address an issue when the individuals involved hide behind political expediency. By the way, I voted for Obama both times, so comments trying to relate my actions and statements to being blindly anti democrat are inaccurate.
It's too damned easy to say that NONE OF US is doing enough to protect our LGBTQ+ friends and neighbors from the fascists like DeSantis.

And, yes, that arrow is pointed at the less-repressive elected officials (since very few are left-of-center, I can only describe them as "somewhat less harmful than the GOP").

I recently spoke with a trans person who is a high school student in Kentucky. They expressed gratitude that some of their teachers are willing to violate Kentucky's recently-enacted law that all but criminalizes trans people's very existence. They also know that my home is a potential sanctuary, should they ever need such.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

sikacz wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:25 am Y’all still haven’t given an example of what the administration is doing in response to the recent set of anti transgender laws in various states. These are very recent and need a forceful response now. Links from the past and position statements are not enough. By the way, it is cowardice to not address an issue when the individuals involved hide behind political expediency. By the way, I voted for Obama both times, so comments trying to relate my actions and statements to being blindly anti democrat are inaccurate.
I think, rather than whine about this administrations 'cowardice', MORE should be said and done to insure these GOP thugs NEVER see the inside of any government building as an elected ANYTHING. The THREAT to LGBTQ people is a clear and present danger NOW. If you don't see that, you aren't paying attention. Even with all the warts, a DEM choice is far better than ANY GOP choice..GOP are dangerous to not only the LGBTQ community, but to YOU....

Is it kinda lonely? Hating this administration AND the orange turd..if 'some' really do??
Can't ignore the fervent support for the 2A, by the GOP, who want to execute members of the LGBTQ community..I guess with legally obtained guns..

I'm way more worried about any GOP administration taking MY guns because I don't love dear leader. WAY more worried about losing MY rights, MY freedoms and those of my female, LGBTQ, non-white, non christian, friends than some sound bite from a political speech.
Last edited by F4FEver on Tue May 30, 2023 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BearPaws wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:54 pm
It's too damned easy to say that NONE OF US is doing enough to protect our LGBTQ+ friends and neighbors from the fascists like DeSantis.

And, yes, that arrow is pointed at the less-repressive elected officials (since very few are left-of-center, I can only describe them as "somewhat less harmful than the GOP").

I recently spoke with a trans person who is a high school student in Kentucky. They expressed gratitude that some of their teachers are willing to violate Kentucky's recently-enacted law that all but criminalizes trans people's very existence. They also know that my home is a potential sanctuary, should they ever need such.
Never said none of us, this post was about seeing if the administration was showing any presence in vocally, administratively and concretely addressing the most current oppressive laws pushed by the republicans. Obviously, a few here take this as an attack on democrats . My point has been the administration has the bully pulpit and they should be beating the drum loudly admonishing and finding any legal action they can currently do to counter the detrimental laws being enacted. I’m not hearing any media presenting the administrations stance on these laws and how they will try to negate them. I wasn’t looking for archived positions or platitudes. It’s great that you as a person is being supportive, but that wasn’t the topic. I can see this really just draws mostly the few that choose to not address the topic, but choose to see it as an attack on the administration and the democrats by asking. Do I hold biden responsible, yes, I would hold any president responsible who is at the helm. As the old saying goes, the buck stops here, applies to the current president not the past ones or their failures. Thanks to those who genuinely answered and tried to discuss the topic, but I feel it’s obvious nothing is being done, nothing visibly and that is horrible and yes cowardly.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Whoa folks, it's getting hot in here (looking at you F4). We've got common ground and let's remember that. I'm assuming most folks perusing these pages are either members of or allies of the LGBTQ+ community. Let's hold onto that.

For the record, I'm with sika on this. Biden needs to do more. There is an imminent threat to people here, and I'm not hearing enough from Biden's bully pulpit or seeing enough action to protect the LGBTQ+ community. My opinion. Others here are happy with Biden's timid response to calls for violence against American citizens -- I am not.

I hear you F4, the Republicans have crossed the line to fascism in my book and 2024 is a potential disaster for us. I keep plugging my nose and voting Democratic, but I understand why others don't. There is a lot to not like in this administration and I don't know how long the Dems only selling point can be "At Least We're Not Trump."

I disagree with sika all the time. But no need to get testy. And again, I am 100% with him on this one.

cooper wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:42 am sika posted at the same time as me. Interestingly, we both invoked the bully pulpit. Can be potent. But you have to have core beliefs other than a desire to be re-elected to use it, I guess. Still hoping for better from Biden. But not holding my breath.
Same.

cooper wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:42 am sika posted at the same time as me. Interestingly, we both invoked the bully pulpit. Can be potent. But you have to have core beliefs other than a desire to be re-elected to use it, I guess. Still hoping for better from Biden. But not holding my breath.
Oh here's more INACTION.

Biden marks International Transgender Day of Visibility by blasting Republicans targeting trans youth. A bully pulpit if I ever saw one.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/31/politics ... index.html

CNN

President Joe Biden is using International Transgender Day of Visibility on Friday to sharply criticize acts of violence and discrimination against Americans who identify as trans and nonbinary, zeroing in on the growing number of Republican-led bills targeting trans youth.

In a presidential proclamation on Thursday and a subsequent statement on Friday, Biden acknowledged “a wave of discriminatory state laws” aimed at trans Americans, squarely blaming “MAGA extremists” for “advancing hundreds of hateful and extreme state laws that target transgender kids and their families.”

“Let me be clear: These attacks are un-American and must end,” Biden said in his statement issued on Friday. “The bullying, discrimination, and political attacks that trans kids face have exacerbated our national mental health crisis.”

The statement continued, “I want every member of the trans community to know that we see you. You’re each made in the image of God, and deserve love, dignity, and respect. You make America stronger, and we’re with you.”

The president’s comments came as an unprecedented number of measures have been introduced in state legislatures this year seeking to restrict LGBTQ rights. The proposed bills cover a wide range of policies, including some that seek to restrict transgender people from competing on sports teams or using bathrooms that align with their gender identity. Youth and medical care is a growing legislative focus.

At least 385 bills targeting LGBTQ rights and queer life have been introduced around the country through March 7, according to data compiled by the American Civil Liberties Union. The number of bills has already surpassed last year’s total of 306, according to ACLU data shared with CNN.

Earlier this month, Biden – who in 2021 became the first US president to ever issue a presidential proclamation to mark International Transgender Day of Visibility – called efforts to restrict transgender rights in Florida as “close to sinful.”

“It just, to me, is, I dunno, it’s cruel,” he added.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/31/politics ... index.html
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

sikacz wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:38 am
BearPaws wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:54 pm

Never said none of us, this post was about seeing if the administration was showing any presence in vocally, administratively and concretely addressing the most current oppressive laws pushed by the republicans. Obviously, a few here take this as an attack on democrats . My point has been the administration has the bully pulpit and they should be beating the drum loudly admonishing and finding any legal action they can currently do to counter the detrimental laws being enacted. I’m not hearing any media presenting the administrations stance on these laws and how they will try to negate them. I wasn’t looking for archived positions or platitudes. It’s great that you as a person is being supportive, but that wasn’t the topic. I can see this really just draws mostly the few that choose to not address the topic, but choose to see it as an attack on the administration and the democrats by asking. Do I hold biden responsible, yes, I would hold any president responsible who is at the helm. As the old saying goes, the buck stops here, applies to the current president not the past ones or their failures. Thanks to those who genuinely answered and tried to discuss the topic, but I feel it’s obvious nothing is being done, nothing visibly and that is horrible and yes cowardly.
DUH
Yes, but he should be vocal now and he isn’t. To say nothing or not push resistance now is cowardice
Who said that 'if they won't fight for themselves, I won't fight for them'?? Concerning the LGBTQ community..anybody remember(I do).

Once again, no mention of those GOPathetic who actively support injury or death to this community but the DEMs are cowards...curious.

cooper wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:40 am Whoa folks, it's getting hot in here (looking at you F4). We've got common ground and let's remember that. I'm assuming most folks perusing these pages are either members of or allies of the LGBTQ+ community. Let's hold onto that.

For the record, I'm with sika on this. Biden needs to do more. There is an imminent threat to people here, and I'm not hearing enough from Biden's bully pulpit or seeing enough action to protect the LGBTQ+ community. My opinion. Others here are happy with Biden's timid response to calls for violence against American citizens -- I am not.

I hear you F4, the Republicans have crossed the line to fascism in my book and 2024 is a potential disaster for us. I keep plugging my nose and voting Democratic, but I understand why others don't. There is a lot to not like in this administration and I don't know how long the Dems only selling point can be "At Least We're Not Trump."

I disagree with sika all the time. But no need to get testy. And again, I am 100% with him on this one.
Inaction, as in not voting, favors the oppressors..the GOP in this regard. Yup, mention trump and never trump but he is a clear and present danger. To ALL of us..

Not saying ya can't do both, hate trump and not be thrilled with President Biden but the contrast is striking.. GOP members who advocate injury and death to this community. But again, they do love the 2A...God, guns and gas...or some such nonsense.

Biden should do more and I'm angry that he isn't but the bulk of my anger is reserved for the people who are actually pushing anti trans legislation, and for the people who voted for them, and for the people who failed to vote against them. Every asshole who's pushing anti trans legislation is able to do so because they were elected. Every election, everywhere, everytime, from dog catcher to POTUS, matters. Not one of these assholes should be in a position to do what they're doing, but WE THE PEOPLE, through action or inaction, put them there.

That said, I know it's not always that simple. If your goal is to protect trans people, not voting for someone who would work to disarm them might make sense. All I can say is, every election is a strategic calculation. Sometimes (most of the time) we walk away from the ballot box with a bad taste in our mouths. I always ask myself, who is more likely to cause direct harm, then I vote for the person most likely to keep that person out of office. As the GOP embraces outright bigotry, anti-trans hate, anti-democracy, and Q-anon insanity, these choices get easier and easier to make.

But this thread is supposed to be about the federal government. So yeah, I'm not giving Biden a pass here. He should be doing more. But I also understand that there isn't a lot he can do. And, as others have pointed out, he's not doing nothing.

For now all we can do is watch out for the folks around us. If you see something, say something. If someone needs a safe space, offer it. Challenge misinformation and bigotry when you see or hear it. Don't let them command the conversation and don't let them claim moral authority.

These are dark times.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

cooper wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:40 am Whoa folks, it's getting hot in here (looking at you F4). We've got common ground and let's remember that. I'm assuming most folks perusing these pages are either members of or allies of the LGBTQ+ community. Let's hold onto that.

Agree.

Issuing statements is about as effective as our complaints here. The states pulling this shit need to feel it financially.

featureless wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:01 am

Agree.

Issuing statements is about as effective as our complaints here. The states pulling this shit need to feel it financially.
Like any issue, this is multifaceted and state laws vary. I think at minimum that the feds should protect the right of adult transgendered to have access to medication, like all women should have access to abortion medications. The Biden administration should push regs through HHS like they've done with abortion meds. I assume there are one or more cases on access to transgendered medications somewhere in state and federal courts. Health insurance and Medicaid should pay for these medications if prescribed by a health care provider.

Gender affirming surgery for adults is a different facet and transgendered adults have sole right to make those decisions themselves. Some insurance companies pay for it and states can and do restrict use of Medicaid funds for it. Medication and gender affirming surgery for teens are different facets and state laws vary. It's multifaceted but politicians and the media just lump it all together.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:00 pmMedication and gender affirming surgery for teens are different facets and state laws vary.
Small quibble. There is no gender affirming surery for teens. That's a right wing myth used to try and scare people.

And on a related point, the medication is mostly just to delay puberty until the child is old enough to make medical decisions for themselves. It's entirely reversible, again unlike the right wing myth that it somehow induces permanent changes. Puberty itself is what induces irreversible, permanent changes.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:50 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:00 pmMedication and gender affirming surgery for teens are different facets and state laws vary.
Small quibble. There is no gender affirming surery for teens. That's a right wing myth used to try and scare people.

And on a related point, the medication is mostly just to delay puberty until the child is old enough to make medical decisions for themselves. It's entirely reversible, again unlike the right wing myth that it somehow induces permanent changes. Puberty itself is what induces irreversible, permanent changes.
Too bad basics, like your post, have absolutely no impact on the audience that really reeds to be educated.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Eris wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:50 pm

Gender affirming treatment (hormonal therapy) for teens; gender affirming surgery for teens; and intersex surgery for those under 18 have been all mixed together by the right wing. Yes, hormonal therapy or gender affirming treatment for trans teens is common and reversable. Gender reassignment surgeries for teens are rare, but have taken place.
The Department’s General Counsel [CA Insurance Commissioner] Opinion Letter, issued pursuant to Insurance Code section 12921.9, was prepared in response to an inquiry from San Diego’s TransFamily Support Services regarding several denials of coverage for male chest surgery for patients under 18 years old who are transitioning from female to male. The Department determined that denying coverage for mastectomy and reconstruction of a male chest based solely on age is impermissible under state laws requiring coverage of reconstructive surgery. Health insurance companies must consider a patient’s specific clinical situation in determining medical necessity.
https://www.insurance.ca.gov/0400-news/ ... 0-2020.cfm
https://www.latimes.com/local/californi ... story.html

Ironic that some states banning hormone treatment for trans teens, allow surgeons to continue to perform intersex surgery on minors.
The movement to outlaw intersex surgeries in the United States has made big strides in the last three years. Two prominent hospitals — Chicago’s Lurie Children’s Hospital and Boston Children’s Hospital — have stopped offering pediatric intersex procedures. The Biden administration has also been meeting with intersex advocates to talk about how to end the surgeries nationwide. In the meantime, California, often a leader on LGBTQ+ rights, has introduced a bill to ban pediatric intersex surgeries. The bill has yet to gain enough support to pass.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/mos ... ex-surgery
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I don't know what it's like to believe I was born into the wrong gender. I'm going to cut the trans community some slack. The .gov either fed or state should not outlaw medical procedures that people do only to themselves.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:33 am I don't know what it's like to believe I was born into the wrong gender. I'm going to cut the trans community some slack. The .gov either fed or state should not outlaw medical procedures that people do only to themselves.

CDFingers
Somebody mentioned 'bully pulpit'...if it was only about laws from fascist states like Florida and Texass.

https://www.newsweek.com/video-pastor-s ... al-1801663

Lemmings of all stripes listen to these assholes and Trans people have died because of it(Club Q)..using a legally obtained weapon, BTW

highdesert wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:53 am In the meantime, California, often a leader on LGBTQ+ rights, has introduced a bill to ban pediatric intersex surgeries. The bill has yet to gain enough support to pass.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/mos ... ex-surgery
[/quote]

Interesting.

Back in the day, for some who are born with some intersex conditions that affect genitalia that's mostly male, there were two procedures:

One at birth or in infancy, that was really and truly only functional, to allow urine to exit the body.

The second was actually cosmetic surgery scheduled for just before puberty, but it was often described as functional. Very hard for parents and kids to navigate!

What was interesting-- and it's been a decade since I looked into all this in clinical training-- was that the first surgery was actually far safer than the second.

Who knows what they are doing now, but in some situations, the first surgery might really be medically necessary. I'm assuming there is some kind of carve-out for that!