Chick-fil-A slammed by conservatives after announcing diversity program

A fast-food chain that for years has been castigated by progressives over its donations to anti-LGBT groups and allegations it embraced discriminatory practices is now being assailed by conservatives over a new initiative that aims to promote diversity, Newsweek reports.

Chick-fil-A on its website reported that it has named Erick McReynolds as vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), a move that has angered conservatives.

“One of our core values at Chick-fil-A, Inc. is that we are better together,” Chick-fil-A wrote of its website on its DEI initiative.

“When we combine our unique backgrounds and experiences with a culture of belonging, we can discover new ways to strengthen the quality of care we deliver: to customers, to the communities we serve and to the world. We understand that getting Better at Together means we learn better, care better, grow better and serve better.”

The announcement immediately sparked conservative backlash on social media.
Full article with the Rightwing response. https://www.rawstory.com/chick-fil-a/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Chick-fil-A slammed by conservatives after announcing diversity program

Once again, we have a bunch of White Progressives whining in this article about "LGBTQ! LGBTQ! LGBTQ!" But they don't say a doggone thing about, "Hey, colored people (PoC)! Hey, females!" The vast majority of the apparently Progressive focus is LGBTQ, LGBTQ, LGBTQ pretty much to the exclusion of anything else. That ain't cool.

They should be *praising* Chick-Fil-A for this! This is a major change for the positive! But they're not.

Even worse is that, if you read the article, Chick-Fil-A simply says diversity, equity, and inclusion. That means everyone, *including* LGBTQ, LGBTQ, LGBTQ, along with PoC, PoC, PoC and Females, Females, Females. I quote the article:

Joanna Schwartz, a marketing professor at Georgia College & State University, told Newsweek that a boycott against the popular establishment would be "ironic" considering that many LGBTQ+ consumers already refuse to eat there because the company has famously donated to firms that have opposed marriage equality.

"It's a company that has a very religious focus, but that focus has never included LGBTQ+ equality as one of its basic tenets," Schwartz said. "In fact, the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index doesn't even have a rating for the company because they've never participated in those equality studies.

"It's a big change for Chick-fil-A to include gender identity and sexual orientation as part of their view of inclusivity, but even that DEI update doesn't actually use the term 'LGBT' (or any of its variations). Racial, ethnic and gender diversity are all important, but in terms of actual LGBTQ+ inclusivity or any acknowledgment around the community or Pride, [they] have never been part of their marketing efforts."

And this Dr. Joanna Schwartz is, yes, a White Progressive. Big surprise. Have a look.

https://www.gcsu.edu/business/mml/facul ... management

Oop, there it is...yet again.
Last edited by CowboyT on Tue May 30, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

tonguengroover wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:24 pm I dont eat where I poop. Them and Hobby Lobby will only recieve turds from me.
That's more than they get from me. I won't even darken their doors.

Before I knew about Hobby Lobby, I wandered into one. That the sign on the door indicated that they were closed on my preferred shopping day (Sunday) told me I wouldn't buy anything. After a brief look around, I decided that I wasn't missing anything I couldn't get at a locally-owned (and less bigoted) store.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

I haven't eaten at a Chik-Fil-A since the early 80's and have no particular desire to go there in any event. But this is a small first step in the right direction. Now let's see how inclusive they actually become.

As for people "whining" about LGBT inclusion, it makes perfect sense given the company owners' well documented history of donating to anti-LGBT causes. So far they have given us some nice and hopeful words, but it will be their actions going forward that really show who they are.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I've only eaten at one Chick-fil-A and that was when I was working and my staff picked the place and I wasn't driving. The food was ok but I've never been back. Chick-fil-A is no longer a GA or Southern chain, it's national and there are quite a few in CA. Eventually a new generation of the Cathy family will take over. So Cal's beloved "In-N-Out Burger" is owned by the very religious Snyder family, I'm sure there are plenty of atheists who have eaten their burgers, I admit I have.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:45 am I've only eaten at one Chick-fil-A and that was when I was working and my staff picked the place and I wasn't driving. The food was ok but I've never been back. Chick-fil-A is no longer a GA or Southern chain, it's national and there are quite a few in CA. Eventually a new generation of the Cathy family will take over. So Cal's beloved "In-N-Out Burger" is owned by the very religious Snyder family, I'm sure there are plenty of atheists who have eaten their burgers, I admit I have.
Haven't eaten at eater one. For hamburgers it is the Texas chain of Whataburger.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

highdesert wrote:I've only eaten at one Chick-fil-A and that was when I was working and my staff picked the place and I wasn't driving. The food was ok but I've never been back. Chick-fil-A is no longer a GA or Southern chain, it's national and there are quite a few in CA. Eventually a new generation of the Cathy family will take over. So Cal's beloved "In-N-Out Burger" is owned by the very religious Snyder family, I'm sure there are plenty of atheists who have eaten their burgers, I admit I have.
Yeah, I loved In-n-out burger when I lived in SoCal. Didn’t know about the owners …

But yeah I’ll pass on bigot chicken; especially when there are many other more delicious options like Canes or Joellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In-n-Out is OK but their patties are thin as a slice of baloney. It's good freeway eats. First one I ever seen was out in the middle of nowhere coming into the Bay Area on interstate 5.
Best chicken outlet in Tucson is Lucky Wishbone, oldest one too. To die for steak and chicken fingers with garlic bread and fries. Order a Pop combo. A true un health explosion.
Best local burger here is Lindys followed by ZinBurger, Five Guys and Smashburger. I'll do a What a burger in a pinch. Yum, I'm hungry.

Burger wars, Arby's says they have Wagu burgers. LOL Bet not. Jack says he has ribeye burgers. It's real ribeye meat says he.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Bisbee wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:53 pm In n Out’s conservative politics:

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/food-d ... houldnt-be
Yup, that's the Snyder Family, the current owner Lynsi Snyder is a born again Christian and a billionaire. In-N-Out Burger is one of the most popular fast food chains in CA.

A number of fast food chains have religious roots.
https://archive.fo/D1n4P

In-N-Out Burger is expanding to Tennessee.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/califo ... expansion/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Eris wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 pm I haven't eaten at a Chik-Fil-A since the early 80's and have no particular desire to go there in any event. But this is a small first step in the right direction. Now let's see how inclusive they actually become.

As for people "whining" about LGBT inclusion, it makes perfect sense given the company owners' well documented history of donating to anti-LGBT causes. So far they have given us some nice and hopeful words, but it will be their actions going forward that really show who they are.
Two problems with this.

1.) Those same "whiners" about LGBT inclusion are basically doing so at the expense of everyone else, as I mentioned earlier. They're actually dismissive of anybody but (apparently) White LGBT folks. So, it's obvious that their motivations are only about themselves, not anybody else. Essentially, it's the Prop 8 mentality and the Respect for Marriage Act mentality all over again.

2.) Chick-Fil-A didn't call out anybody in particular. They simply said Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. That means everyone.

Again, we should be lauding this step by the company, not spitting on it. It's about time they did this.

In light of these repeated dismissive views toward People of Color by too much of the White LGBTQ community, should I even continue to support them anymore? I've been supporting them for decades. But they seem like they really don't like folks like me, and that really stinks, folks.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

I like Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

And while I never approved of their support of Puritanical Christian positions, I never heard of them refusing to cater a same-sex marriage reception.

I'm quite sure that the upper management at Chick-Fil-A likely did not support my anti-Puritanical Christian position and I have never catered a same-sex marriage.

Their facilities have always been clean, well run, polite and with remarkable fast service.

And I applaud their current position but still hate the fact they close on Sundays.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

The article’s focus on LGBT inclusion no doubt was based on June being Pride month, which celebrates all regardless of race. Still the company statement of inclusion is a great start, but it really doesn’t define who they are including. Considering the company’s past, I would suspect it doesn’t include the LGBTQ community. Sounds more like just a marketing ploy before Pride month without actually recognizing the LGBT community. Time will tell what this actually means if anything.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:02 am The article’s focus on LGBT inclusion no doubt was based on June being Pride month, which celebrates all regardless of race. Still the company statement of inclusion is a great start, but it really doesn’t define who they are including. Considering the company’s past, I would suspect it doesn’t include the LGBTQ community. Sounds more like just a marketing ploy before Pride month without actually recognizing the LGBT community. Time will tell what this actually means if anything.
I agree it is the actions the Cmpany takes that will tell if they live up to the statement.

I don't eat fast food or drink Bud or shop at Target, but if I did I wouldn't stop for politics. Frankly politics should be left out of business.

The DEI industry however is a hundreds of billion dollar scam, that is ending but not quick enough. Corporate excuse for discrimination is about it. In every case if you gave workers or voters a choice, DEI salaries for some people or just give that money to poor people, I'd think poor people would win out every time. DEI is one more opportunity for the professional-managerial class to scam a six figure income.

sikacz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:02 am The article’s focus on LGBT inclusion no doubt was based on June being Pride month, which celebrates all regardless of race. Still the company statement of inclusion is a great start, but it really doesn’t define who they are including. Considering the company’s past, I would suspect it doesn’t include the LGBTQ community. Sounds more like just a marketing ploy before Pride month without actually recognizing the LGBT community. Time will tell what this actually means if anything.
It's been a long standing joke that corporations are quick to support the LGBT community during Pride Month (June) and are less enthusiastic come July 1st. For them It's all about marketing and making money. Corporations run hot and cold just like politicians.

I don't care what a fast-food owners personal religion and politics are, I'll oppose them it they fund hate organizations and mistreat their employees. So many fast-food outlets are franchises, so the politics of a corporate owner are often irrelevant. I don't check the politics of the owner of every business I patronize, if an owner is a douche it will become public knowledge.

highdesert wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:21 pm
It's been a long standing joke that corporations are quick to support the LGBT community during Pride Month (June) and are less enthusiastic come July 1st. For them It's all about marketing and making money. Corporations run hot and cold just like politicians.

I don't care what a fast-food owners personal religion and politics are, I'll oppose them it they fund hate organizations and mistreat their employees. So many fast-food outlets are franchises, so the politics of a corporate owner are often irrelevant. I don't check the politics of the owner of every business I patronize, if an owner is a douche it will become public knowledge.
I think there is a term for trying to profit without actually supporting the issue. Turning a celebration for awareness to an opportunity to maximize profits and not really advocating for meaningful change. I don’t recall the exact term, but if it comes to me I’ll post it. Adding it’s a form of slacktivism.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 pm
I think there is a term for trying to profit without actually supporting the issue. Turning a celebration for awareness to an opportunity to maximize profits and not really advocating for meaningful change. I don’t recall the exact term, but if it comes to me I’ll post it. Adding it’s a form of slacktivism.
I think the expression you seek is "Rainbow Capitalism."

As for the fast "food" chain at the heart of this thread, their "Diversity, Inclusivity, Equity" office has been there for a good while without the right-wing nut jobs griping about it. DEI is just another freak-out buzzword letter set, like CRT or "woke."

Can I keep my dollars from helping companies with social positions I detest? No, not really.

But I can surely choose where I spend my money. "Business" should not have to be political, but EVERYTHING is political at some level, and I want to NOT spend money with companies who are actively trying to harm my friends and neighbors.

I've not darkened the door of a Bigot Bird (aka Chik-Fil-A) store before now, and I have no reason to change that choice.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.