Legendary Singer Tina Turner Dies At 83

Tina Turner, the dynamic rock and R&B icon whose career spanned decades, died Wednesday, at her home near Zurich, Switzerland, a representative told Reuters. She was 83.

Turner died peacefully after a long illness, Reuters said.

The singer’s life was marked by perseverance and a knack for reinvention, creating hits like 1971’s “Proud Mary” and 1984’s “What’s Love Got To Do With It.” Touring the globe, she shared stages with the likes of David Bowie and Mick Jagger, starred in a “Mad Max” flick and watched Beyoncé perform in her honor in 2005.

She may be best remembered for her fiery vocals and onstage energy. But Turner’s offstage presence was a quieter one influenced by an upbringing in the segregated South.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tina-tur ... 2b0d1a775f

She has gone to sing with the other R&B greats. R.I.P.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Legendary Singer Tina Turner Dies At 83

"What's Love Got To Do With It!" was probably her signature piece, she was a great performer. Her husband Ike was a real piece of shit, glad she finally dumped him. I remember years ago watching a 60 Minutes segment where they followed her through a day, she had a lot of energy. She lived in France at that time.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Tina Turner showed us all what resilience is. And while I am a proud American and always will be, I can understand why she moved to Switzerland and became a Swiss citizen. Here in the USA, you're only as big as your latest album, and Tina herself pointed that out in, I believe, an Ebony magazine interview. In Europe, that's much less true. Several Black jazz musicians moved to European countries because of the difference between how they were treated here vs. over there. One of Dad's jazz musician friends had a chateau in France and was living like a king. He got French citizenship and even referred to himself as a Frenchman. Others like him found similar acceptance in Europe.

And yes, she showed us the true strength of the Black American woman.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:36 pm Tina Turner showed us all what resilience is. And while I am a proud American and always will be, I can understand why she moved to Switzerland and became a Swiss citizen. Here in the USA, you're only as big as your latest album, and Tina herself pointed that out in, I believe, an Ebony magazine interview. In Europe, that's much less true. Several Black jazz musicians moved to European countries because of the difference between how they were treated here vs. over there. One of Dad's jazz musician friends had a chateau in France and was living like a king. He got French citizenship and even referred to himself as a Frenchman. Others like him found similar acceptance in Europe.

And yes, she showed us the true strength of the Black American woman.
Considering how prejudiced and intolerant our society is I don’t wonder that she lived in Switzerland. In Europe she probably had a relatively peaceful life between performing and undoubtedly good medical care after her illness. Rest in peace Tina, she was definitely one of my favorites.

PS. Wife just was reading up on an article, Tina was asked why she lived in Europe and she responded she was better known there. There she was just or better known than Madonna, frankly, Madonna couldn’t hold a candle to Tina. I was in Finland when Tina’s popularity was soaring in the late 80’s. You could tell she was admired and appreciated.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I agree. I've always thought Madonna's only talent as a singer was her genius at marketing herself. Tina Turner was an AWESOME, explosive singer who just got your blood moving! So much energy WITH TALENT! She did for "Proud Mary" what Whitney Houston did for "I Will Always Love You"--turn a nice little song into a mega-hit!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:15 am Black artists before Turner found it more comfortable living in Europe mainly France, James Baldwin, Richard Wright, Nina Simone and Josephine Baker.
Don’t forget Paul Robeson.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:47 pm
highdesert wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:15 am Black artists before Turner found it more comfortable living in Europe mainly France, James Baldwin, Richard Wright, Nina Simone and Josephine Baker.
Although Odetta did not move to Europe.
(IMHO, the finest voice of the 20th Century--she could sing ANYTHING like nobody else, from hard blues to opera).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Robeson lived a lot of places outside the US, but he returned to the US in 1963 and died here. He's probably better known as a singer and actor, but he had a law degree from Columbia University.

An American who lived many years in France and died there was Gertrude Stein, she influenced Hemingway, e e cummings, Sherwood Anderson, Ralph Ellison.... She was a lesbian and she and her partner Alice B Toklas were more accepted in France than they would have been in the US.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:30 pm
Robeson lived a lot of places outside the US, but he returned to the US in 1963 and died here. He's probably better known as a singer and actor, but he had a law degree from Columbia University.

An American who lived many years in France and died there was Gertrude Stein, she influenced Hemingway, e e cummings, Sherwood Anderson, Ralph Ellison.... She was a lesbian and she and her partner Alice B Toklas were more accepted in France than they would have been in the US.
Robeson was also a political activist and linguist, speaking multiple languages. In fact, he was an American Renaissance Man. Oh, and he was a star football player for Rutgers.

Perhaps a better example than Paul Robeson would be jazz great Johnny Griffin. In the late 1980's, Dad, my stepmother, and I went to visit him in France while I was stationed in Europe (Mr. Griffin and Dad had been friends for decades by then). This is the man I was referencing above. He had zero desire to live in the United States again. He did visit and do some music with some folks over here, but he always went home to Europe, where the people appreciated him a lot more. Basically, he was treated like a duke over there. It was wonderful to see.

So, that's why I can understand why Tina Turner left the United States for Switzerland, as much as I love the USA. She was having a really good life over there, and no doubt she was treated like a duchess over there. Her home was on a Swiss river in what looked like an idyllic setting; I think I recall Ebony Magazine showing a picture of her Swiss residence. Since none of us get out of this life alive (unfortunately), I hope that when her time came, she died happy.

Again, Tina Turner showed us all what a truly strong Black woman looks like.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Tina Turner lived in a $76 million dollar estate "Villa Algonquin" on Lake Zurich in Switzerland. Her husband was Erwin Bach a music executive, he's 67 years old. Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland.
https://nypost.com/2023/05/26/inside-ti ... -76m-home/

Many artists and retired corporate executives can afford to live overseas, they have their own financial resources and aren't dependent on state services even medical services. Tina Turner worked hard for what she achieved, she deserved the fame and fortune.