Re: No Remorise for BUD LIGHT

cooper wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:55 pm They stumbled into briefly doing the right thing here, so they can have a tip of the hat from me. But that's all.

We kind of need a lot more than this. We all need to be working hard to protect our neighbors when they're singled out. Right now it's our LGBTQ+ and especially trans friends that need us. We can't count on corporations to lead the way. That's not what they do.
The term I'm hearing is "rainbow capitalism," implying that it's a marketing ploy to gain market share. They don't care--corporations don't often have feelings--they just want to get more people to buy their product.

Target is coming under scrutiny from bigots for having Pride displays, and from the LGBTQ+ community for moving or pulling those displays based on a couple of complaints from vocal bigots, with the latter heat saying that Target folding is proof that it was only about profit motive in the first place.

I get that the first commandment of a business is to bring in profits to self-perpetuate, but sheesh.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:40 pm
cooper wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:55 pm They stumbled into briefly doing the right thing here, so they can have a tip of the hat from me. But that's all.

We kind of need a lot more than this. We all need to be working hard to protect our neighbors when they're singled out. Right now it's our LGBTQ+ and especially trans friends that need us. We can't count on corporations to lead the way. That's not what they do.
The term I'm hearing is "rainbow capitalism," implying that it's a marketing ploy to gain market share. They don't care--corporations don't often have feelings--they just want to get more people to buy their product.

Target is coming under scrutiny from bigots for having Pride displays, and from the LGBTQ+ community for moving or pulling those displays based on a couple of complaints from vocal bigots, with the latter heat saying that Target folding is proof that it was only about profit motive in the first place.

I get that the first commandment of a business is to bring in profits to self-perpetuate, but sheesh.
Right, the prudent thing for AB and Target to do is double down on being pro LGBTQ. Course they won't. I'd bet money there's more pro LGBTQ consumers out there than they realize. So it's going to backlash on them from both ways, err both ends. Hohoho
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

BearPaws wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:40 pm The term I'm hearing is "rainbow capitalism," implying that it's a marketing ploy to gain market share. They don't care--corporations don't often have feelings--they just want to get more people to buy their product.
Yup, corporations are in the business of making money and they market goods for holidays and even entire months, at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, Easter, Graduation, July 4th ... Pride Month is just another occasion where they they are marketing to a target group. They haven't pledged loyalty to the LGBT community, their jobs are making money and advancing the corporation.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sig230 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:33 am The problem is not simple. Target has had incidents of their employees being abused and physically threatened.
So I've heard, and you're right, it isn't simple. It comes down to trying to maintain a safer workplace for their staff and safer shopping experience for their customers.

That the abuse and threats have happened prove a tangential point--that the bigots are too happy to resort to abuse because they are so immature and inhumane that they can't leave folks alone.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

highdesert wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:56 am
BearPaws wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:40 pm The term I'm hearing is "rainbow capitalism," implying that it's a marketing ploy to gain market share. They don't care--corporations don't often have feelings--they just want to get more people to buy their product.
Yup, corporations are in the business of making money and they market goods for holidays and even entire months, at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, Easter, Graduation, July 4th ... Pride Month is just another occasion where they they are marketing to a target group. They haven't pledged loyalty to the LGBT community, their jobs are making money and advancing the corporation.
And people should accept it as such and stop being bigoted assholes. No one is forcing anyone to buy any products or to support any particular celebration. Celebrate the ones you like and ignore the rest.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Wino wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm While I admire Bud for their stance, I'll never have any in my fridge due to their attempt to destroy Spoetzl Brewery makers of Shiner Beer. Gambrinus Co. CEO Carlos Alvarez bought Shiner in late 80's. Gambrinus distributed and made Corona the best selling foreign beer in USA. From circa 1995 thru 2018 I did a ton of work at Shiner brewery during their initial expansions. Then AB tried to buy Shiner, Alvarez refused. Then AB bought Modelo and took Corona distribution away from Gambinus as punishment and hopes Alvarez would capitulate and sell Shiner. All it did was piss Gambrinus off. Shiner Beer is probably the largest craft beer maker in the USA today. Their expansion has been enormous and Spoetzl is no longer a small hometown brewery. InBev/AB can kiss my ass, but I wish them well in their quest to fight the bigotry of republicans and their ilk.
Gambrinus gets it's revenge. AB/InBev had to divulge there ownership for Modelo/Corona, now owned by Constelation. Now Gambrinus gets the distribution back.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/articl ... count=MQ==
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Once upon a time brewery ownership was local, then it became regional and now is international. Anheuser-Busch/InBev and Molson Coors seem to be the big dogs right now in the US, but things can always change. In all the brewery buying and selling wars, thankfully craft brewers in the US took hold so there are choices and types and not just slop trough beers.

Beer has a definite shelf life. I made the mistake about of year ago of buying a pack of Stella Artois, brewed in Louvain, Belgium and not looking at the brewing date. I bought it six months from the brewing date and it already skunked. I read AB will brew Stella in the US since they're both owned by InBev. I don't think I've ever had a Corona that wasn't skunked, they use clear glass bottles when they should use brown or green, the UV light ruins it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was a Milwaukee beer, now it's owned by an LA equity firm and brewed by Molson Coors in different cities. Schlitz "The beer that made Milwaukee famous." is also PBR owned. Schlitz was my grandparents favorite beer.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It s shocking to see that when the maga get together they can bring down large corporations like AB Target and now their favorite fast food place chic-fil-a.
And to make matters worse for them the LGBTQ and friends are boycotting those companies too. Best thing the corporations could have done is stick up for themselves and battled back at the biased homophobic and misogynistic assholes.
Now even good ole Garth Brooks is getting attacked because he said he will sell Bud Light in his new bar. Bud light is no longer the No 1 selling beer in "merica.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:23 am It s shocking to see that when the maga get together they can bring down large corporations like AB Target and now their favorite fast food place chic-fil-a.
And to make matters worse for them the LGBTQ and friends are boycotting those companies too. Best thing the corporations could have done is stick up for themselves and battled back at the biased homophobic and misogynistic assholes.

Now even good ole Garth Brooks is getting attacked because he said he will sell Bud Light in his new bar. Bud light is no longer the No 1 selling beer in "merica.
People are fickle, Bud Light dipped down to #2 after Modelo big deal. I expect that's temporary because it got caught up in the culture wars. The AB/InBev marketing division should have recognized that the culture wars could impact their brands.

Garth Brooks said a number of years ago that he's made more money than he or his children will ever spend. He can flip off the anti-trans protesters, he's still going to make money at his bar, with his records and with his other enterprises.

Pabst, with it's many brands accumulated over the years was at one time the largest brewer in the world without owning ONE brewery - they contract out all their brewing. Both major SATX beers Lone Star and Pearl are owned by Pabst. I was in large project in the mid nineties with Lone Star to improve their grain rail car offloading, storage and conveying to process when they were bought by G. Heidelmann's, cancelled project mid-stream, paid for all equipment already on site and paid penalties for cancelling those in process. Then Strohs took over Heidelmann later on. Under the ownership of General Brewing things really got rough and Pearl/Lone Star in SATX were no more. The plant engineer incharge of the Lone Star project was hired by Spoetzl Brewery (Shiner Beer). We ended up shipping much of the Lone Star equipment for cancelled project to Shiner for their ongoing expansion. Spent next 10 years on that expansion. As previously mentioned, Anheuser Busch tried for the next 15 or so years to destroy or buy Spoetzl - again, major reason I buy NO AB/INbev piss.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

highdesert wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:19 am Once upon a time brewery ownership was local, then it became regional and now is international. Anheuser-Busch/InBev and Molson Coors seem to be the big dogs right now in the US, but things can always change. In all the brewery buying and selling wars, thankfully craft brewers in the US took hold so there are choices and types and not just slop trough beers.

Beer has a definite shelf life. I made the mistake about of year ago of buying a pack of Stella Artois, brewed in Louvain, Belgium and not looking at the brewing date. I bought it six months from the brewing date and it already skunked. I read AB will brew Stella in the US since they're both owned by InBev. I don't think I've ever had a Corona that wasn't skunked, they use clear glass bottles when they should use brown or green, the UV light ruins it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was a Milwaukee beer, now it's owned by an LA equity firm and brewed by Molson Coors in different cities. Schlitz "The beer that made Milwaukee famous." is also PBR owned. Schlitz was my grandparents favorite beer.
I spent my junior semester in Bruges in 1976. Stella, when compared to the big US companies is pretty good, but over there it was the cheapest, lowest grade pilsner you could get. After 47 years I no longer remember the other brands of pilsners ("Ein pils, Als u blieft!") just that they were better. Of course I remember the Trappist ales, though! A properly poured Trappiste Tripel is about the only brew I prefer to a good built Irish stout (like Guinness, but it's not the only one).

Then there was Geuze...awful stuff!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Breweries are like distilleries and bakeries, they can make different products because it's all about the recipe. Sierra Nevada Brewing in No Cal makes a Pale Ale, a Pilsner and various IPAs all in the same brewery, it's the recipe that makes the difference. It's always about the type of grain and the type of hops and the yeast.

G Heilman Brewing bought up a lot of brands including Rhinelander which I enjoyed in the past. Heilman is now owned by Bond, an Australian holding company.
Last edited by highdesert on Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Every once and awhile I'll buy a pack of Duvel, it's the perfect Belgian beer but very pricey.

I haven't had a beer/ale in a long time, but generally I drink craft beers. But after awhile with all those hops flavors I'll buy a pilsner which is crisp and clean. If you can find Pilsner Urquell that hasn't outdated, it's the original pilsner from Plzen, CZ .

Modelo Negra, Dos Equis Amber, Shiner Black Lager & Bock, Guinness Stout and Tecate (latter only drinkable with fresh lime) along with various brands of ginger beer and Topo Chico fill my fridge booze drawer. I lean to dark, strong taste beers.

Wino Shiner Bock is not only great beer to drink, but also great in making real Texas Red Chili.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:06 pm Wino Shiner Bock is not only great beer to drink, but also great in making real Texas Red Chili.
With NO beans !!!

Wino wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:50 pm Modelo Negra, Dos Equis Amber, Shiner Black Lager & Bock, Guinness Stout and Tecate (latter only drinkable with fresh lime) along with various brands of ginger beer and Topo Chico fill my fridge booze drawer. I lean to dark, strong taste beers.
Modelo Negra is one of my go-to holiday beers. Anyone tried nitro peanut butter stout? Mighty tasty.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack