Re: 'Choosing teenage sex': Lauren Boebert roasted for defending teen son impregnating underage girlfriend

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:54 pm
CowboyT wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:50 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:29 am Boebert married a child molester and birthed another.
Children shouldn't be parents.
Whoa there, cowboy...these two kids are boyfriend and girlfriend. Where do you get that her son is a "child molester"?
He's 17 and she's....A lot less. That means 13, 14, maybe 15. A 17 year old shouldn't be messing with someone that young. Not in our day, and not now.
Wrong answer. According to Boebert herself, the girl is some number "above 14", which means at least 15 and up to 17. We don't know what the girl's actual age is. I think sikacz had it right, below.
sikacz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:51 pm Seems that both are minors and the state law has a four year age difference for consensual sex. Ages 14 to 17 can engage in consensual sex with each other. It wasn’t clear to me if both could be charged with statutory rape, seems possible from a brief read. I doubt this story is actually very news worthy except for the poor judgment. Some states have Romeo and Juliet laws to prevent minors from being prosecuted. I doubt throwing children in jail for exploring their feelings is productive.
This makes a lot more sense, and in this case, the age of the girl is actually 15 to 17, since "above 14" means at least 15. That's a 2-year maximum age difference. Therefore, I don't see a problem with the two of them exploring their feelings, other than that they should've used protection, like the Europeans do in these sorts of situations.

I'm noticing that some people are awfully quick to slap labels on folks, even kids, if they don't like the politics of the parents. That's not proper, folks, and we need to watch that. Just because you may not like the parent doesn't mean it's OK to attack the underage kid with such charged, accusatory terms as "child molester". That's a grievous crime for which there is no evidence presented that the son here is guilty of committing. Be careful, folks.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Re: 'Choosing teenage sex': Lauren Boebert roasted for defending teen son impregnating underage girlfriend

Blue states might be modern in some respects, but when it comes to teens having consensual sex the red states have faced the reality. CA has no "Romeo and Juliet law" but AL, AK, AZ, FL,...TX, UT, WV, WY do. 16 appears to be the lowest age of consent. Teens are going to have sex, face it. Make sure they have safe sex and prevent pregnancies.
https://herlawyer.com/romeo-and-juliet- ... ated-2022/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Indeed, I remember cases in California in which 18-year-old high-school seniors (dudes) were criminally charged with statutory rape by having consensual sex with their 17 1/2-year-old high-school senior girlfriends. Tried and convicted. That's a felony rap, folks. Young lad's life is now ruined.

But there were also cases where an 18-year-old high-school-senior dudettes got caught doing the same thing with their 17 1/2-year-old high-school senior boyfriends. Nothing happened to the young lasses. No statutory rape trial. No ruined life.

I'd imagine it happened in other states as well that didn't have Romeo and Juliet laws. And I don't see the benefit of ruining a kid's life for having consensual sex with his or her boyfriend/girlfriend provided that they're reasonably close in age, such as this case.

And we shouldn't even be having to have this conversation about the benefits of proper sex-ed! The Europeans already proved that over several decades! What's the real opposition here to it, other than the insult, "wingnuttia" or some other stupid insult like that? I'd like to know the real reason for Rep. Boebert-style opposition to such education.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

highdesert wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:58 pm The left obsesses on the right and right obsesses on the left, just what they two political parties want. The freaks on both ends of the spectrum get all the attention they want, the media loves them because they always have an opinion. Who gives a f--k what Boebert says.
I respectfully disagree, Highdesert (And this freak has an opinion- lol!). I really don't give a f--k what BoBo says either however I think it would be a mistake to ignore it. I know this is cliche at this point but words really do matter and hate crimes are definitely on the rise. I think there's a huge difference between someone like Bernie Sanders saying something radical like how maybe billionaires should pay the same amount of taxes that I do, verses someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene implying that transgender folk are child molesters or Jews are starting wildfires with space lasers. They aren't the same. There is no "both sides" when one side is promoting violence. Hate speech has deadly consequences. https://bjs.ojp.gov/library/publication ... -2010-2019

Velcro9850 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:04 am
highdesert wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:58 pm The left obsesses on the right and right obsesses on the left, just what they two political parties want. The freaks on both ends of the spectrum get all the attention they want, the media loves them because they always have an opinion. Who gives a f--k what Boebert says.
I respectfully disagree, Highdesert (And this freak has an opinion- lol!). I really don't give a f--k what BoBo says either however I think it would be a mistake to ignore it. I know this is cliche at this point but words really do matter and hate crimes are definitely on the rise. I think there's a huge difference between someone like Bernie Sanders saying something radical like how maybe billionaires should pay the same amount of taxes that I do, verses someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene implying that transgender folk are child molesters or Jews are starting wildfires with space lasers. They aren't the same. There is no "both sides" when one side is promoting violence. Hate speech has deadly consequences. https://bjs.ojp.gov/library/publication ... -2010-2019
Definitely asymmetrical! You cannot logically or rationally equate Bernie, AOC, and "The Squad" with MTG, Boebert, Biggs, and the other ignorant fascist RWNs.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I agree I personally don't give a damn about Boebert lies and stupid remarks, but the hate speech matters. I'm sure there were many Germans thought the same thing about the speeches and hate spewed forth in 1931 by Hitler and you see where that lead too.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:55 am
I agree I personally don't give a damn about Boebert lies and stupid remarks, but the hate speech matters. I'm sure there were many Germans thought the same thing about the speeches and hate spewed forth in 1931 by Hitler and you see where that lead too.
It was happening here, in the USA, contemporaneously with it happening in Germany. I'm not exactly sure, despite being a lifelong student of History, how we managed to avoid the same thing happening....until now.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YT, it was happening here before Germany had Hitler. We had the Jim Crow Laws even before the Civil War. We had genocide against the Native Americans. We had “studies” that were saying that white people were superior to other races. We also had discrimination against some immigrants. If you were Northern European you might be okay, but southern European or Jewish or Eastern European you’re not okay. We had “Sundown” Cities well into the early 1960s. For those that don’t know what a Sundown City is, signs were posted at the city limits that bluntly stated, “Don’t let your “N——-R or Black ass be caught in here after sundown”. In Greenville Texas their sign said home of the Blackest dirt and Whitest town in Texas.

So what we are seeing today is just a continuation of what we have had for the past 200 plus years.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:11 pm
It was happening here, in the USA, contemporaneously with it happening in Germany. I'm not exactly sure, despite being a lifelong student of History, how we managed to avoid the same thing happening....until now.
Japan happened.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:11 pm
There's a fantastic podcast that came out recently called 'Ultra' that talks about just how cozy many US citizens and politicians were with Nazis during WWII.

"Ultra, is about ultra-right wing groups that sided with Hitler's Germany, and plotted to overthrow the U. S. government before World War II. It led to the largest sedition trial in American history. Ultra is also about sitting members of the U. S. Senate and House of Representatives who colluded with a German agent to spread Nazi propaganda to millions of Americans with the help of American taxpayers money. "

If you know of any good history podcasts I'm always interested.

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:41 pm YT, it was happening here before Germany had Hitler. We had the Jim Crow Laws even before the Civil War. We had genocide against the Native Americans. We had “studies” that were saying that white people were superior to other races. We also had discrimination against some immigrants. If you were Northern European you might be okay, but southern European or Jewish or Eastern European you’re not okay. We had “Sundown” Cities well into the early 1960s. For those that don’t know what a Sundown City is, signs were posted at the city limits that bluntly stated, “Don’t let your “N——-R or Black ass be caught in here after sundown”. In Greenville Texas their sign said home of the Blackest dirt and Whitest town in Texas.

So what we are seeing today is just a continuation of what we have had for the past 200 plus years.
Of course, you're correct. I was merely referring to the specific rise in the late 20's, throughout the 30's, of actual nazism.

The actual joining of American nazis and the KKKlukkers didn't happen until 1979, that led to the Greensboro, NC massacre. Curiously, until then, the Klukkers were uncomfortable with the nazis as we had gone to war to destroy them, and many klukkers served in the US military to crush them.

The KKK didn't fully become anti-Nazi until we entered the war. They supported much of the Anti-Semitic rhetoric of the Nazi party and was aligned with the German American Bund and the America First Party.

Remember that it was Germany that declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor. Had Hitler instead condemned Japan and sided with the US it's very likely that we would have continued as a semi-belligerent. There might even have been enough support in the US that we might have abandoned our Eastern view and turned solely Westward.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:22 pm Remember that it was Germany that declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor. Had Hitler instead condemned Japan and sided with the US it's very likely that we would have continued as a semi-belligerent. There might even have been enough support in the US that we might have abandoned our Eastern view and turned solely Westward.
There was no way Hitler wouldn't declare war on the US. We had already committed a technical act of war against Germany by changing our international status from "Neutral" to "Non-Belligerent" and were providing arms to the Allies. In fact, Germany was sinking American ships prior to Pearl Harbor. The Ruben James was sunk on Oct 31, 1941 by German U-boats.

In WWI we were far more likely to have supported the Central powers other than Wilson being a committed Anglophile. Many Americans, particularly Irish and German, detested Britain, which was also stopping American ships in the Atlantic and our relations with the UK were very cold. Even after the Lusitania, we weren't about to go to war with Germany. It wasn't until 1916, when the Germans decided they HAD to starve the UK and France by cutting off US shipping, hoping the war would end before the US entered. Obviously, they bet wrong....

But in WWII, FDR CLEARLY was on the side of the Allies long before Pearl Harbor.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:33 pm
sig230 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:22 pm Remember that it was Germany that declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor. Had Hitler instead condemned Japan and sided with the US it's very likely that we would have continued as a semi-belligerent. There might even have been enough support in the US that we might have abandoned our Eastern view and turned solely Westward.
There was no way Hitler wouldn't declare war on the US. We had already committed a technical act of war against Germany by changing our international status from "Neutral" to "Non-Belligerent" and were providing arms to the Allies. In fact, Germany was sinking American ships prior to Pearl Harbor. The Ruben James was sunk on Oct 31, 1941 by German U-boats.

In WWI we were far more likely to have supported the Central powers other than Wilson being a committed Anglophile. Many Americans, particularly Irish and German, detested Britain, which was also stopping American ships in the Atlantic and our relations with the UK were very cold. Even after the Lusitania, we weren't about to go to war with Germany. It wasn't until 1916, when the Germans decided they HAD to starve the UK and France by cutting off US shipping, hoping the war would end before the US entered. Obviously, they bet wrong....

But in WWII, FDR CLEARLY was on the side of the Allies long before Pearl Harbor.
Not to continue derailing this thread, but I highly recommend Philip Roth's, The Plot Against America. If you haven't read it, it's well worth your time. Yes, it's terrifying to think about how easily things could have gone a different way; just look at the American Bund rallies.

There have been many close calls in US history. We could easily be a very different place right now. That's why people like Trump are so dangerous. That's why elections matter. Where would someone like Trump have taken us in the runup to WW2?
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Greengunner wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Not to continue derailing this thread, but I highly recommend Philip Roth's, The Plot Against America. If you haven't read it, it's well worth your time. Yes, it's terrifying to think about how easily things could have gone a different way; just look at the American Bund rallies.

There have been many close calls in US history. We could easily be a very different place right now. That's why people like Trump are so dangerous. That's why elections matter. Where would someone like Trump have taken us in the runup to WW2?
I've read it. And it was terrifying. Richie "The Boot" Boiardo's mafia compound is literally across the street from my front door. His nephew, or grand-nephew, an orthopedic surgeon, now owns it. Of course, he died about 14 years before we bought our house.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:11 pm

I've read it. And it was terrifying. Richie "The Boot" Boiardo's mafia compound is literally across the street from my front door. His nephew, or grand-nephew, an orthopedic surgeon, now owns it. Of course, he died about 14 years before we bought our house.
The boss of Newark and apparently the inspiration for Tony Soprano in the HBO series. He lived to 95, an old age and a natural death, unusual for a gangster.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

He also claimed to be Mario Puzo's inspiration for Don Corleone. Myth has it that he had a kiln for disposing of bodies. We don't dig too deep here!

The builder on the site began around 1987...about 4 years after Boiardo's death, so I guess (and I AM guessing) that much of the land around the compound was sold off.
The builder and his brother were a team until his brother (the builder's) was killed in a freak accident. He was a paint-ball fanatic and a paint ball hit him in the throat in the exact wrong place and I guess it ruptured the carotid artery, killing him instantly.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:12 am He also claimed to be Mario Puzo's inspiration for Don Corleone. Myth has it that he had a kiln for disposing of bodies. We don't dig too deep here!

The builder on the site began around 1987...about 4 years after Boiardo's death, so I guess (and I AM guessing) that much of the land around the compound was sold off.
The builder and his brother were a team until his brother (the builder's) was killed in a freak accident. He was a paint-ball fanatic and a paint ball hit him in the throat in the exact wrong place and I guess it ruptured the carotid artery, killing him instantly.
Incinerating the bodies was probably smarter that burying them on his property. Dump the ashes in the ocean and they would never be identified.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:12 am
Definitely asymmetrical! You cannot logically or rationally equate Bernie, AOC, and "The Squad" with MTG, Boebert, Biggs, and the other ignorant fascist RWNs.
No you cannot..the later are members of the new american taliban complete with ayatollahs(trump) and they have their own version of sharia law.

Many immigrants came from Europe, countries like Germany and Italy and they had sympathies with the old country. I remember my grandparents talking about the Bund which was active in the Midwest and on the East Coast. Sinclair Lewis wrote a famous novel, "It Can't Happen Here" in the 1930s about a mythical US dictator. Lewis was the first American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0301001h.html