Banned From a Flooring Forum

Sigh, lamenting I just got banned because of my political views from a flooring forum by an ex LEO who is an admin no less.
This is sacrilegious for want of a better term. And the admin is a friend of the website owner and has never installed flooring.

I feel like an excommunicated Catholic. Like ole Luther himself. Say not in grief he is no more, but live in thankfulness that he was. Or whatever. Fuck

I tried to stay away from the Politics sub-forum but I can't just sit and watch people post bullshit rhetoric. Can You?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Re: Banned From a Flooring Forum

This is pretty much the only forum I visit where politics is part of the forum DNA. The only other forums I visit are motorcycle related and neither one do I participate in politics. One doesn’t allow it and the other has some political sections, but I refrain from commenting. There’s really not much in discussing an issue where the other person doesn’t politically share any of my views and if they knew them would regard me lower than something smelly that one might accidentally step on. I have no fear of being banned in those sites. The one that allows no politics is international and motorcycle specific. Every now and then one of my countrymen will blurt out something that screams their perspective and at most it gets a yawn response. Quickly passed over by others including myself. In professional venues, I avoid politics period.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

FrontSight wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm In my current job, I'm an importer of flooring products...and even I didn't know there was a flooring forum...let alone, a purely right wing flooring forum.
Do tell! Do you sell to contractors or just distributors?

Yes there are a couple installer oriented ones. One wood floor mag has one, or had one haven't been there for awhile. Course you may comment on articles.

Then there's the Floor Inspectors forum. One left out of a few. It's on Facebook. Politics is not allowed on the inspectors forum. Which is prolly a good thing. For me anyways. Manufacturers are watching the inspectors forum so if you want work from them y'all better STFU cus they are all mostly in Georgia or down south. You know what that means.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

If you go to a flooring forum and discuss politics (or point to it how someone else’s political views are idiotic) you are bound to be “excommunicated”. Just accept this.

I belong to a particular truck forum to glean from the experience of others who may collectively help in keeping our 20 y/o Toyota’s rolling. There are very explicit rules about no politics allowed. I bite my tongue on a regular basis but I can also trust the mods to keep other people from revealing their stupidity to me and just “talk truck”. And you know what? It just works. For that forum and that purpose, it works for me. The plus side is it helps me to practice focus and not imagining that my responsibilities extend to anyone else other than myself and what I am invited to help with in others (and even then it is my conscious choice to do so).

Here we have the luxury (or trap) to discuss political views along with sharing technical firearms information. But that is a different ball of wax from other online forums.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:44 pm If you go to a flooring forum and discuss politics (or point to it how someone else’s political views are idiotic) you are bound to be “excommunicated”. Just accept this.
I just can't get to the bottom of comic possibilities from this line!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:56 pm
Bisbee wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:44 pm If you go to a flooring forum and discuss politics (or point to it how someone else’s political views are idiotic) you are bound to be “excommunicated”. Just accept this.
I just can't get to the bottom of comic possibilities from this line!
Well yes and no, If you do it nicely without calling others idiots or worse then it should be fine, right? One would hope so. But just like gun forums we've all been on and banned from your bound to have a trigger happy crazy right winger with his finger on the ban button.
I just didn't expect it since I've been on there for decades. I did take a year or so breather and just went back in.

papajim2jordan wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:53 pm I would have thought it a more level playing field. Where do you discuss politics there? On a subfloorum?
Ha ha I get it!
Yes, like gun forums have.
Except THR gun forum. The mods there give you a little leeway but it better be about guns.
Last edited by tonguengroover on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First off - my sympathies. Although I'll admit I'm a little surprised that you're surprised, given some of your posting. :) That's not criticism! Just acknowledgement that your profession is a little further right of mine.

I like THR. Not enough to actually join. But it's a useful resource - increasingly so, as we tend to bog down more in the politics and talk less about hardware or shooting.

My sympathies as well! Online culture is generally ghastly, but kinda fascinating, too. I am curious about the posts that got you banned, but no pressure if you don't want to disclose.

A brief tour of a few of the forums I used to visit that are now closed:

The Oil Drum was an incredible place. I loved arguing with Swedish engineers who were drafting policy on nuclear reactors, and I made friends with this brilliant organic chemist who totally schooled me about psychopharmacology, though my chemistry still sucks. Me and a classmate from grad school visited him once-- he lived in a trailer behind the Museum of Jurassic Technology-- and he gave us an after-hours tour, complete with tea on the roof! But some of the other people there scared the living crap out of both of us, wanted to burn all the oil in the ground or didn't care if we had another Fukushima or Chernobyl.

Then there was Boring Old Man, a forum of older psychiatrists-- guys who ran departments at major universities, who worked with RIAT, the team of white hats that reanalyzed Paxil Study 329, and blew the lid off all the dirty tricks SmithKline Beecham used to get that junk approved. Man, those dudes didn't suffer fools gladly-- sometimes, I'd proofread a three-paragraph post for hours before putting it up, and if you got something wrong, you'd get totally chewed out. So that was scary in a different way.

The eBike forum where I spend a lot of time is still going strong, and probably the most hostile of all of them. It is unmoderated and sometimes gets absolutely insane with invective and spewing insults. No one ever gets banned, and some members have been hurling abuse at each other for, like, three years. At times, it's been a complete digital cesspool, and I've had to leave for months at a time. I have about four or five really good friends there and a dozen acquaintances I am friendly with. It's a left vs. fascist civil war, with constant skirmishing between other members about all kinds of lame stuff that makes no difference.

The worst member is a 'religious' nut case (that's a clinical term) who mentions all the guns he and his family own when people disagree with him-- like this really weenie, passive aggressive threat-that's-not-quite-a-threat. No one else was talking about guns, so it was super creepy. I told the mods, they did nothing.

So now I've joined an actual gun forum, and it turns out to be just about the most laid back place I've ever been online. I mean, I have no doubt some of y'all would be pretty scary to anyone stupid enough to jump over your back fence, but compared to most other places I've visited? This place is super chill.

I've told my brick-and-mortar friends how civil everyone here is, at least compared to most other places I've visited, but I don't think anyone believes me.

Thin-skinned is a term that can apply to anyone who get worked up discussion stuff online. Sure, feeling accepted is built into our dna sorta… we are highly attuned social animals. But individuation is also a thing with human beings.

Those people on the flooring forum are not friends. You don’t owe them anything. And they don’t provide you with anything any more either. It may sting a bit to feel rejection but it’s interesting to feel pain while noticing the relative unimportance of it. I mean, you aren’t in Ukraine fighting Russians to defend your homeland, right?
…feel better?
SunRiseWest wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:51 pm So now I've joined an actual gun forum, and it turns out to be just about the most laid back place I've ever been online. I mean, I have no doubt some of y'all would be pretty scary to anyone stupid enough to jump over your back fence, but compared to most other places I've visited? This place is super chill.

I've told my brick-and-mortar friends how civil everyone here is, at least compared to most other places I've visited, but I don't think anyone believes me.
An interesting theory just popped up in my head upon reading this. Is it possible that those who are mature enough to accept firearms as mere tools while respecting its power are also mature enough to understand the relative usefulness of everyone’s egos and respect boundaries? I mean a healthy, confident individual need not constantly inflate their ego to impress themselves onto others nor employ guns as compensatory power fetishes.

Moderators on LGC are pretty chill because the longtime chat forum members pretty much self-police the guidelines. There are plenty of instances in the past where obvious trolls from wing nut forums try to get a rise here for their curiosity, powetripping, or whatever. They are treated with a certain amount of amusement for the most part, toyed with for a while, before the mods simply eject them from the forum for repeated transgressions. Every once in a while a thread gets locked because disagreements between members wander slightly afield of good intentions but that’s been a rare occurrence these days. And this is a place where politics take up more than half of the daily active posts (that I notice anyway).

The few Libertarians who frequent the forum tend to be respectful of differences of opinions, which I find strangely rare given their stated beliefs but refreshing nevertheless. Their views are also tolerated here possibly because intelligent individuals abhor echo-chambers (or simply find them boring).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

SunRiseWest wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:51 pm So now I've joined an actual gun forum, and it turns out to be just about the most laid back place I've ever been online. I mean, I have no doubt some of y'all would be pretty scary to anyone stupid enough to jump over your back fence, but compared to most other places I've visited? This place is super chill.

Hell, they even let an old Rockefeller Republican in.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 pm Sigh, lamenting I just got banned because of my political views from a flooring forum by an ex LEO who is an admin no less.
This is sacrilegious for want of a better term. And the admin is a friend of the website owner and has never installed flooring.

I feel like an excommunicated Catholic. Like ole Luther himself. Say not in grief he is no more, but live in thankfulness that he was. Or whatever. Fuck

I tried to stay away from the Politics sub-forum but I can't just sit and watch people post bullshit rhetoric. Can You?
I got banned from two 'gun forums' because I had the temerity to mention trump's idiocy...pre 2020 election and the J6 insurrection.

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:04 am Just like Twitter, Facebook, "Truth Social", these are privately owned forums, they're free to use whatever level of moderation that they like and bounce people for no reason.

Great "pity party" menu !
Truth. Always keep the purpose of a forum or platform in mind. Professional ones only professional topics regardless of there being an “off topic or political “ subforum. Keep in mind in any forum that you’re there for either information or contacts, not friends or political allies unless it’s a political forum. I hope TG this forum wasn’t important for your business.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:31 am
highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:04 am Just like Twitter, Facebook, "Truth Social", these are privately owned forums, they're free to use whatever level of moderation that they like and bounce people for no reason.

Great "pity party" menu !
Truth. Always keep the purpose of a forum or platform in mind. Professional ones only professional topics regardless of there being an “off topic or political “ subforum. Keep in mind in any forum that you’re there for either information or contacts, not friends or political allies unless it’s a political forum. I hope TG this forum wasn’t important for your business.
I agree if you're a member of a forum that is subject matter related, don't get sucked into politics. They are almost all asynchronous, so just avoid political comments and threads and stick to the subject matter.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 pm Do tell! Do you sell to contractors or just distributors?

Yes there are a couple installer oriented ones. One wood floor mag has one, or had one haven't been there for awhile. Course you may comment on articles.

Then there's the Floor Inspectors forum. One left out of a few. It's on Facebook. Politics is not allowed on the inspectors forum. Which is prolly a good thing. For me anyways. Manufacturers are watching the inspectors forum so if you want work from them y'all better STFU cus they are all mostly in Georgia or down south. You know what that means.
I'm purchasing manager for a company that owns, operates, refurbishes, and builds apartment complexes. I do about 3 containers per month just supplying my company. I sometime sell to other contractors, but we tend to use most of what we buy.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:39 pm
I agree if you're a member of a forum that is subject matter related, don't get sucked into politics. They are almost all asynchronous, so just avoid political comments and threads and stick to the subject matter.
Been trying to do that here even though most of us agree on issues.
FrontSight wrote:
tonguengroover wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 pm Do tell! Do you sell to contractors or just distributors?

I'm purchasing manager for a company that owns, operates, refurbishes, and builds apartment complexes. I do about 3 containers per month just supplying my company. I sometime sell to other contractors, but we tend to use most of what we buy.
Nice. My oldest son does that for the state. I'm trying to slow down on the installation and focus on the inspection part aspect of it. I do go behind inspections a lot when the first inspection report is suspect. Pays more.
I just did an inspection in a very large assisted living complex that has several 4 story towers. It was on LVP which is fraught with issues and claims are an everyday occurrence. These installers didn't install it correctly in a large dining area and it was spec'd wrong. Click in a commercial application with rolling traffic, over concrete with no vapor retarder.

There's another hardwood forum my friend owns where we try to help end users and installers with problems associated to hardwood installs. He also sells hardwood made by Amish. Kinda high end stuff. He has his own line of hardwood. No politics there either.

Bisbee wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:07 am Thin-skinned is a term that can apply to anyone who get worked up discussion stuff online. Sure, feeling accepted is built into our dna sorta… we are highly attuned social animals. But individuation is also a thing with human beings.

Those people on the flooring forum are not friends. You don’t owe them anything. And they don’t provide you with anything any more either. It may sting a bit to feel rejection but it’s interesting to feel pain while noticing the relative unimportance of it. I mean, you aren’t in Ukraine fighting Russians to defend your homeland, right?
…feel better?

An interesting theory just popped up in my head upon reading this. Is it possible that those who are mature enough to accept firearms as mere tools while respecting its power are also mature enough to understand the relative usefulness of everyone’s egos and respect boundaries? I mean a healthy, confident individual need not constantly inflate their ego to impress themselves onto others nor employ guns as compensatory power fetishes....

The few Libertarians who frequent the forum tend to be respectful of differences of opinions, which I find strangely rare given their stated beliefs but refreshing nevertheless. Their views are also tolerated here possibly because intelligent individuals abhor echo-chambers (or simply find them boring).
I agree that it's an interesting theory, I was probably thinking something like that, but hadn't put the pieces together. On the eBike forum, the troublemakers are sometimes, but not often, ego-driven and overly opinionated about the bikes. And it can be a power thing-- my bike is faster and more powerful, or my bike is weaker which means I'm a more serious athlete, etc.

Libertarians are an odd bunch. I know it's more complicated than this, but I always think of them being in two different camps: One is more antiwar and anti-interventionist, and was very critical of the Iraq war, while the other is more like a different flavor of neocon who just emphasizes free markets more, often at the expense of safety or sanity. I often enjoy debating with the former, and even find some common ground, though I have a lot more trouble with the second group.