Florida House passes a constitutional carry bill.

Lawmakers in the Florida House of Representatives passed a bill Friday that would allow people to carry a concealed firearm without a state permit. The bill, HB 543, passed with 76 yeas and 32 nays Friday afternoon, with a version, SB 150, ready to go before the full Florida Senate. Republican supporters of the bill call it a “public safety” measure. “This bill is a big step, a big step to help the average law-abiding citizen, to keep them from having to go through the hoops of getting a permit from the government to carry their weapon,” said State Rep. and bill sponsor Chuck Brannan, R-Macclenny. “It is also not going to change who can and who cannot carry a gun. People that are prohibited now are still going to be prohibited.”

The bill allows people to carry concealed firearms without going through background screening and training that is currently required to have a concealed carry license. Democrats argue easing gun restrictions will lead to increased violence. “I want to make sure that the right people who are supposed to have access to guns are the ones who do while ensuring those that are not supposed to don’t,” said State Rep. Anna Eskamani, D-Orlando.

An analysis of studies by the Rand Corporation in January found that evidence for a relationship between permitless-carry laws and gun violence was inconclusive. Gov. Ron DeSantis has already signaled his intention to sign the bill.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/polit ... ida-house/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Florida House passes a constitutional carry bill.

I'm glad for it. It's high time that the long-standing "poll tax" on exercising a Constitutionally guaranteed right come to an end. It always has disadvantaged racial minorities in particular, and indeed, gun control always was intended to keep "POC" from exercising the right. So, I'm glad this racist permitting scheme is apparently about to fall in yet another state.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 am I'm glad for it. It's high time that the long-standing "poll tax" on exercising a Constitutionally guaranteed right come to an end. It always has disadvantaged racial minorities in particular, and indeed, gun control always was intended to keep "POC" from exercising the right. So, I'm glad this racist permitting scheme is apparently about to fall in yet another state.
So carrying concealed as opposed to just owning a gun is a 'constitutionally guaranteed right'..didn't know that.

Looked again, don't see the concealed part in the RKBA 2A...

CowboyT wrote:I'm glad for it. It's high time that the long-standing "poll tax" on exercising a Constitutionally guaranteed right come to an end. It always has disadvantaged racial minorities in particular, and indeed, gun control always was intended to keep "POC" from exercising the right. So, I'm glad this racist permitting scheme is apparently about to fall in yet another state.
Agreed!

All living beings have an an inherent right to self defense; not just people who can afford government permission slips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:06 am
CowboyT wrote:I'm glad for it. It's high time that the long-standing "poll tax" on exercising a Constitutionally guaranteed right come to an end. It always has disadvantaged racial minorities in particular, and indeed, gun control always was intended to keep "POC" from exercising the right. So, I'm glad this racist permitting scheme is apparently about to fall in yet another state.
Agreed!

All living beings have an an inherent right to self defense; not just people who can afford government permission slips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree to both y’all’s comments.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

F4FEver wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:40 am
CowboyT wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 am I'm glad for it. It's high time that the long-standing "poll tax" on exercising a Constitutionally guaranteed right come to an end. It always has disadvantaged racial minorities in particular, and indeed, gun control always was intended to keep "POC" from exercising the right. So, I'm glad this racist permitting scheme is apparently about to fall in yet another state.
So carrying concealed as opposed to just owning a gun is a 'constitutionally guaranteed right'..didn't know that.

A form of carry is part of the constitutional right, yes. It's the "bear" part. These days, most would prefer not to see it. I can assure you, anybody with I'll intent that wants to stick a gun in their britches is already doing so.

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:47 am Is it for just Floridians or the rest of us too?
The bill doesn't differentiate. It's just preliminary, have to see what is in the final bill that DeSantis signs that becomes law.
s. 790.015, F.S.; 29 authorizing a nonresident to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm in this state if he or she meets the same requirements as a resident;
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2 ... ext/e1/PDF
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I agree with the position that all people have the right to self defense without, as INVICTVS138 puts it, "a government permission slip."

I happen to also believe that this is one of those rights that comes with responsibilities, to include seeking out at least some knowledge in how to wisely exercise that right. The CCDW course mandated by Kentucky does little toward that end, but I have the credential, for two main reasons: 1) The book that was provided when I took the class has all the relevant KRS entries in one place, so I can refer and refresh my memory on the laws, and 2) I have the credential, so that I don't look like such a rube if I ever need to pull my pistol out of its holster anywhere but the gun range stall or in front of my safe.

That I had the financial resources and the time to get the credential separates me from some of my neighbors, sure, and I hate that. I want them to have as much credibility as I enjoy.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

featureless wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:54 am
F4FEver wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:40 am

A form of carry is part of the constitutional right, yes. It's the "bear" part. These days, most would prefer not to see it. I can assure you, anybody with I'll intent that wants to stick a gun in their britches is already doing so.
Just open carry then..No license or anything else required. What other might prefer doesn't enter into it..The law isn't about 'feelings'. I get tired of pulling out the 'infringement' sound bite even when it isn't.
You don't need a 'permission slip' to carry a gun in Florida..just carry it...

The Republican-controlled Florida Legislature on Thursday voted to let gun owners in the nation’s third most populous state carry guns without a state permit, delivering on a campaign promise by Gov. Ron DeSantis as he ramps up his expected run for president. DeSantis, who was promoting his new book at a Georgia sporting goods store that bills itself as the world’s largest gun store, vowed to act quickly on the legislation. “You don’t need a permission slip from the government to be able to exercise your constitutional rights,” DeSantis told an audience at the store. “And as of right now there’s 25 states — so half the states allow that. Well, in Florida next week we are going to make it 26 because I will be signing the legislation into law.”
Florida joins a wave of other red states that have pushed ahead with new laws sought by gun rights supporters. Texas, Virginia, Ohio and a handful of other states have all sought to loosen gun restrictions and more than two dozen states have enacted laws similar to the one Florida approved Thursday. Although DeSantis had signaled for months that he supports the legislation, supporters of gun rights have repeatedly called on GOP legislators to go further and allow people to in the state to carry guns openly. On Thursday, they criticized DeSantis for not going further. “This bill is a half-measure and is not what gun owners were promised,” said Matt Collins, a gun rights supporter and former lobbyist for gun rights groups. “It isn’t true constitutional carry because it doesn’t include an open-carry provision. This bill is weak and failed leadership on part of Governor DeSantis and the Republican legislative leadership. Gun owners deserve better.”
Florida law currently makes it a felony if someone carries a concealed weapon without a permit. There are more than 2.64 million people with concealed weapon licenses who must go through training and a background check first. The new law — which takes effect on July 1 — does not end the permitting program but instead makes it optional. Bill supporters contend many Floridians will go through the permitting process because other state recognize the licenses.

The Senate voted 28-13 — with Miami Republican Sen. Ileana Garcia joining all 12 Democrats in opposition — to send the measure to DeSantis’ desk. The Florida House passed the legislation by a 76-32 vote last week.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/3 ... s-00089836

highdesert wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:23 am
The Republican-controlled Florida Legislature on Thursday voted to let gun owners in the nation’s third most populous state carry guns without a state permit, delivering on a campaign promise by Gov. Ron DeSantis as he ramps up his expected run for president. DeSantis, who was promoting his new book at a Georgia sporting goods store that bills itself as the world’s largest gun store, vowed to act quickly on the legislation. “You don’t need a permission slip from the government to be able to exercise your constitutional rights,” DeSantis told an audience at the store. “And as of right now there’s 25 states — so half the states allow that. Well, in Florida next week we are going to make it 26 because I will be signing the legislation into law.”
Florida joins a wave of other red states that have pushed ahead with new laws sought by gun rights supporters. Texas, Virginia, Ohio and a handful of other states have all sought to loosen gun restrictions and more than two dozen states have enacted laws similar to the one Florida approved Thursday. Although DeSantis had signaled for months that he supports the legislation, supporters of gun rights have repeatedly called on GOP legislators to go further and allow people to in the state to carry guns openly. On Thursday, they criticized DeSantis for not going further. “This bill is a half-measure and is not what gun owners were promised,” said Matt Collins, a gun rights supporter and former lobbyist for gun rights groups. “It isn’t true constitutional carry because it doesn’t include an open-carry provision. This bill is weak and failed leadership on part of Governor DeSantis and the Republican legislative leadership. Gun owners deserve better.”
Florida law currently makes it a felony if someone carries a concealed weapon without a permit. There are more than 2.64 million people with concealed weapon licenses who must go through training and a background check first. The new law — which takes effect on July 1 — does not end the permitting program but instead makes it optional. Bill supporters contend many Floridians will go through the permitting process because other state recognize the licenses.

The Senate voted 28-13 — with Miami Republican Sen. Ileana Garcia joining all 12 Democrats in opposition — to send the measure to DeSantis’ desk. The Florida House passed the legislation by a 76-32 vote last week.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/3 ... s-00089836
Sounds like in Texas, optional.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

F4FEver wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:14 am
sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:11 pm Reading is fundamental, the second is a pretty simple sentence. Always makes me wonder about the agenda of people who refuse to see a word or admit it exists.
You must be kidding. People have been cherrypicking parts of the 2A, leaving out parts, adding their own 'opinions' about the 2A for decades.
Does not the United States afford you more unrestricted use of guns than your mother country Finland? You always praise Finland for about everything and talk down to the United States, did you leave Finland to have better gun rights? Or what? Whats the incentive to live here than there?
Crime is very low there most likely due to gun restrictions where each gun has to be registered and a person has to have a license. Unlicensed possession of a gun in Finland can land you years in prison.
So why are you not in favor of more gun restrictions and back ground checks here?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:32 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:11 pm Reading is fundamental, the second is a pretty simple sentence. Always makes me wonder about the agenda of people who refuse to see a word or admit it exists.
You must be kidding. People have been cherrypicking parts of the 2A, leaving out parts, adding their own 'opinions' about the 2A for decades.
Does not the United States afford you more unrestricted use of guns than your mother country Finland? You always praise Finland for about everything and talk down to the United States, did you leave Finland to have better gun rights? Or what? Whats the incentive to live here than there?
Crime is very low there most likely due to gun restrictions where each gun has to be registered and a person has to have a license. Unlicensed possession of a gun in Finland can land you years in prison.
So why are you not in favor of more gun restrictions and back ground checks here?
Need a like button..Plus Finland poised to join NATO..that must make for interesting discussions in 'some' households..

F4FEver wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:20 am
Need a like button..Plus Finland poised to join NATO..that must make for interesting discussions in 'some' households..
Crime is very low there most likely due to gun restrictions...

Nope. That ain't the reason they have fewer crimes where guns are involved. They have fewer violent crimes period.

BKinzey wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:49 pm

Nope. That ain't the reason they have fewer crimes where guns are involved. They have fewer violent crimes period.
Whatever. Less "violent" crime equals less "violent" crime with guns because your heavily restricted. Is that better?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

For some reason, I suspect that Finland's lower rate of violent crime is related to their relative rate of economic equality and to their 'national happiness' index.

Yeah, I know, every Finn I've ever known personally would have sardonic commentary about the national happiness index, but it is what it is. That sense of humor is part of the cultural appeal. Point is, they're a lot better off, across the board, than Florida Man.

All of which goes back to the root causes mantra. Addressing inequality and economic injustice goes much further to reduce crime than confiscating tools. But I'll also say this - we're an old and aging niche of hardware and sporting enthusiasts. The youngs, they didn't grow up with gun racks in trucks at high school - they grew up with active shooter drills and news stories about school shootings. They don't buy into the RKBA, they buy into not getting shot and not watching their classmates die.

As our generations pass on, theirs will rise, and they will not uphold the same ideals because they have experienced terrorism from grade school on. The laws we pass now will not be the laws they uphold 20 years from now. Arguments about the Constitution won't matter because the Constitution is always subject to interpretation.

If we don't address the violence, the laws will change.

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:18 pm
BKinzey wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:49 pm

Whatever. Less "violent" crime equals less "violent" crime with guns because your heavily restricted. Is that better?
No. It's not better. It suffers from the same problem. Now it looks like you are saying guns are a cause of crime.

Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday signed a measure that will allow Florida residents to carry guns without a state permit — but falls short of what some gun-rights activists sought. DeSantis signed the legislation behind closed doors in the governor’s office, with news of the bill signing being released first to Fox News. He had pledged during an appearance last week at a Georgia gun store that he would act quickly on the proposal, which passed the Florida Legislature on Thursday.

“You don’t need a permission slip from the government to be able to exercise your constitutional rights,” DeSantis, a Republican, said at the time. Florida becomes the 26th state to allow residents to carry concealed weapons without a permit. The new legislation gives DeSantis another victory to tout as he gears up for an expected presidential campaign.
The new law, which takes effect on July 1, does not end the permitting program but instead makes it optional. Bill supporters contend many Floridians will go through the permitting process because other states recognize the licenses.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/0 ... l-00090170

As expected FL Democrats were against it and are letting the media know so their home audiences get the message.

The first permitless carry state was Vermont, since 1791. More recently it started with Alaska in 2003 and Arizona in 2010. ND and WY restrict it to residents and LA restricts it to veterans. Come July 1st, over half of US states will have permitless carry and the streets aren't running with blood. I still prefer having a license to carry.

Yesterday Jul 1st, FL's new permitless carry law went into effect.
A big change for gun owners goes into on Saturday. You will no longer need a concealed carry permit. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed the permitless carry law earlier this year. Many gun owners see this as a huge win; on the other side, people fear it will lead to more gun violence. The new law clarifies that owners cannot bring a gun to police stations, courthouses, polling places, schools or airports. It’s important to mention this is not an open carry law; the firearm has to be concealed.

Once the new law goes into effect, Floridians will no longer need a permit to carry a concealed weapon. A photo ID is required while carrying and must be presented when requested. Many requirements would remain. You must still be at least 21 years old and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Background checks are also required. The law won’t change the process of legally buying a gun, and they still are prohibited in some places. It does not mean open carry; the firearm has to be concealed. Another big change is not having to take firearm safety courses.

According to the Collier County Sheriff’s Office, you must still meet the same criteria to qualify for a concealed weapon or firearms license. Florida concealed licenses are still valid. Restrictions remain wherever it is unlawful to carry a firearm. You are not required to complete training or pay a licensing fee.
https://winknews.com/2023/07/01/permit-less-gun-law/

highdesert wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:13 am Yesterday Jul 1st, FL's new permitless carry law went into effect.
A big change for gun owners goes into on Saturday. You will no longer need a concealed carry permit. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed the permitless carry law earlier this year. Many gun owners see this as a huge win; on the other side, people fear it will lead to more gun violence. The new law clarifies that owners cannot bring a gun to police stations, courthouses, polling places, schools or airports. It’s important to mention this is not an open carry law; the firearm has to be concealed.

Once the new law goes into effect, Floridians will no longer need a permit to carry a concealed weapon. A photo ID is required while carrying and must be presented when requested. Many requirements would remain. You must still be at least 21 years old and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Background checks are also required. The law won’t change the process of legally buying a gun, and they still are prohibited in some places. It does not mean open carry; the firearm has to be concealed. Another big change is not having to take firearm safety courses.

According to the Collier County Sheriff’s Office, you must still meet the same criteria to qualify for a concealed weapon or firearms license. Florida concealed licenses are still valid. Restrictions remain wherever it is unlawful to carry a firearm. You are not required to complete training or pay a licensing fee.
https://winknews.com/2023/07/01/permit-less-gun-law/
I was waiting for the little fascist deSatan to go all in on guns. Now his platform is complete...taking rights away from children, women, people of color and the LGBTQ community...plus guns...makes the desatanites happy if they aren't full blown maga(t)s.....