GM to stop making the Chevrolet Camaro.

Only a handful of vehicle nameplates have risen to tenured, global fame, and, among the few American muscle cars that have, Chevrolet’s Camaro is inarguably one of the greats. That’s why it pains us to announce that Chevrolet is killing off the Camaro nameplate, at least for now. Following a final collectors’ edition of the sixth-generation Camaro, there will be a muscle car-sized hole in Chevrolet’s product lineup.

The final Camaros will be sold as 2024 models, with the last units set to roll off General Motors’ Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant in Michigan in January 2024. The Collectors’ Edition will be available in North American markets only. Chevrolet has yet to specify what exactly will be offered in its final iteration, but it did say the Collectors’ Edition package will be available on RS, SS, and a limited number of ZL1 models.
The Camaro nameplate will continue on for Chevrolet on the motorsports side as a ghost model of sorts. Specifically, Chevy says it will continue to race the nameplate in NASCAR, IMSA, SRO, NHRA, and the Supercars Championship.
First sold in 1966, Chevrolet’s iconic muscle car has gone through six generations of rear-wheel-drive, almost-always-V8-available, two-door design. While cherry versions of the first- and second-generation cars caught the eye of collectors, drag-builders, and pro-touring racers alike since their launch, the 1980s and 1990s weren’t always kind to the look and feel of an evolving third- and fourth-generation Camaro. In fairness, most of our favorite muscle cars suffered at that time, but what matters is that Chevy brought it back after an eight-year hiatus from 2002 through 2010. The reintroduction of the Camaro nameplate in 2010 made waves in the industry, as it was praised for its historic yet modern styling and athletic disposition. Using a concept car for a starring role as Bumblebee in Michael Bay’s 2007 Transformers movie didn’t hurt its popularity, either.
https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-ca ... nued-2024/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: GM to stop making the Chevrolet Camaro.

My SIL has a 1967 Camaro with a 500HP super charged engine he built. Used to drag race. He pulled the engine and put the original back in when his son started driving it to school some years back and was continually getting tickets and police chasing him home with the big HP. Now he just trailers it to drag races so he can get in the racer area (backstage). LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

The late 1970's and early 1980's Camaros (pre-1984 downsizing) were my favorite. I thought they were just gorgeous cars. More than one guy I know dropped 427's and 454's in 'em and had all sorts of fun. Friend's mom had a blue late 1970's car; she kept hers stock.

Sad to hear about the discontinuation, but trends come and go. Perhaps it will come back again, as it had previously.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Maybe GM will bring it back like Ford did the Mustang after the debacle of the Mustang II or as some have called it the Pinto Plus.

Could we look for an EV Camaro?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

And Dodge are dropping the Charger and Challenger. I say hell yeah! Stop making planet killing gas guzzlers and selling them to jackasses who drive like shit and put the rest of us road users in continual danger.

I was horrified when the reaction of the big three after the 2008 financial crash and all the damage it did to the automotive industry was “let’s start making muscle cars again and make our pickups bigger and taller”.

I hate cars. They are a bane of our planet.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:42 am And Dodge are dropping the Charger and Challenger. I say hell yeah! Stop making planet killing gas guzzlers and selling them to jackasses who drive like shit and put the rest of us road users in continual danger.

I was horrified when the reaction of the big three after the 2008 financial crash and all the damage it did to the automotive industry was “let’s start making muscle cars again and make our pickups bigger and taller”.

Have no fear, the hellraisers will be driving 1,000 HP EV muscle cars on the road.
2025 Dodge eMuscle Electric Muscle Car: Smoke All Four of ’Em
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-do ... ture-cars/

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Quite a few years ago Chrysler-Jeep was sold to Fiat. Then Fiat with PSA Group formed Stellantis composed of Fiat (Maserati, Lancia...), Chrysler-Jeep (Dodge, Ram...) Opel, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen...

I think the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram plus Maserati are the only models Stellantis sells in the US.

European cars used to be available in gasoline (petrol) or diesel, now the big push is electric but not everywhere.
https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/el ... e-most-evs
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mason wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:42 am And Dodge are dropping the Charger and Challenger. I say hell yeah! Stop making planet killing gas guzzlers and selling them to jackasses who drive like shit and put the rest of us road users in continual danger.

I am still gobsmacked at how pickup trucks have morphed from the utilitarian vehicles of my youth into the monsters of today. There is very little utility in having a truck with the sides of the bed being above my former girlfriend's head. And the way some of these idiots drive them--as if they're sports cars...

I'm surprised that Mopar would drop the Charger and Challenger--especially the former, as it's becoming a popular replacement for the Ford Crown Victoria that populated police lots for so many years. Not that I'm complaining, except that police departments are moving to SUVs like the Explorer and Exhumation, er, Expedition as street cars, wasting even more gasoline.

I was "car free light" for several years--bicycled over 5600 miles one year in lieu of using a car. Life has changed a bit, and I'm not able to do that these days. I miss it.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:38 pm I am still gobsmacked at how pickup trucks have morphed from the utilitarian vehicles of my youth into the monsters of today. There is very little utility in having a truck with the sides of the bed being above my former girlfriend's head. And the way some of these idiots drive them--as if they're sports cars...

I'm surprised that Mopar would drop the Charger and Challenger--especially the former, as it's becoming a popular replacement for the Ford Crown Victoria that populated police lots for so many years. Not that I'm complaining, except that police departments are moving to SUVs like the Explorer and Exhumation, er, Expedition as street cars, wasting even more gasoline.

I was "car free light" for several years--bicycled over 5600 miles one year in lieu of using a car. Life has changed a bit, and I'm not able to do that these days. I miss it.
I agree on the pickups. There is a reason that Mopar calls them RAMS. I watched Fort Worth switch from the Ford sedans to the Ford SUVs. Now it is rare for a police department that doesn’t drive SUVs as a majority of their vehicles. They need to look at going to EVs.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:53 pm
BearPaws wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:38 pm I am still gobsmacked at how pickup trucks have morphed from the utilitarian vehicles of my youth into the monsters of today. There is very little utility in having a truck with the sides of the bed being above my former girlfriend's head. And the way some of these idiots drive them--as if they're sports cars...

I agree on the pickups. There is a reason that Mopar calls them RAMS. I watched Fort Worth switch from the Ford sedans to the Ford SUVs. Now it is rare for a police department that doesn’t drive SUVs as a majority of their vehicles. They need to look at going to EVs.
Yup, almost every marked police vehicle around here is an SUV. There are a few marked sedans but they're rare and of course unmarked vehicles are often sedans. From CHP to sheriffs to local police, they all have SUVs.
The best-selling police car in the U.S. now isn't a car. It's an SUV. The SUV version of Ford's Police Interceptor, a modified Explorer, just crossed the 50% market share threshold for the first time since it was introduced in 2012, said Ford, based on figures from sales tracking firm IHS Markit. While making up 51% of overall police vehicle sales through March, the Interceptor SUV has been an even bigger star within Ford's vehicle lineup for law enforcement agencies -- the SUV and a full-size sedan, which is based off the Taurus. "We projected that the Police Interceptor sedan was going to be roughly 75% of our mix. It flip flopped and the SUV is 75% of our mix," said Stephen Tyler, Ford's police brand marketing manager. In addition to the two models, Ford is also going to offer a hybrid police car -- a modified Fusion sedan -- to police departments.

Getting police departments to think about SUVs, not cars, was, in retrospect, a bit of a gamble, Tyler said, when the decision was made to heavily promote the police version of the Explorer to departments. After having a lock on the police market for years with its Crown Victoria sedan, Ford's sales fell when the gas-guzzling model was discontinued and rivals made a play for the police market with their full-size sedans. General Motors offered the police version of the Chevrolet Caprice and Fiat Chrysler had the Dodge Charger.

The SUV didn't get off to a hot start in the sale race. In 2012, only 12% of all new police cars sold by all brands were the Police Interceptor SUV, Ford says. Acceptance gradually grew as police agencies found that they liked the extra room that an SUV provided for all their gear and the higher seating position compared with sedans. With a turbocharged engine option, Ford billed the Interceptor SUV has having lots of power while being far more fuel efficient than the old Crown Vics. Plus, Ford officials told department that the Interceptor SUV was safe to use for high-speed pursuits even though SUVs often have a higher center of gravity.

The Interceptor is heavily modified compared with the civilian version. It has upgraded suspension and cooling systems. It has special durable upholstery because of the heavy, around-the-clock use that its seats endure. There are even "anti-stab" plates embedded in the front seatbacks to keep people who have been arrested from trying to knife the officer who is transporting them to jail. Tyler says many of the improvements are based on suggestions from Ford's police advisory board of chiefs and other officials. They have recommended modifications since the SUV was introduced. As result, he says, more departments depend on it.
"It’s been growing so fast," Tyler said. "We knew we were going to get to this point."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 103006874/

The local sheriff's dept uses Ford SUVs, a bit more variety with federal LEOs who patrol federal lands but they're still SUVs.

There are so many makes and models of autos that aren't imported into the US. Of the Stellantis models Ram and Jeep will still be sold here along with Maserati, but I don't see any of the other ones selling here like Opel, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen... The VW Golf has been the best selling car in Europe, but it didn't really dent the market here.

VW sells the Polo in Europe and everywhere else, but not North America. Their Seat, Skoda and Cupra brands aren't sold in the US. Renault models and their second brand Dacia aren't sold in the US. And there are a lot more.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/ ... the-us/19/

Like US political parties don't like competition from third parties, US automakers don't like competition from Europe and Asia.

highdesert wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:02 am There are so many makes and models of autos that aren't imported into the US. Of the Stellantis models Ram and Jeep will still be sold here along with Maserati, but I don't see any of the other ones selling here like Opel, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen... The VW Golf has been the best selling car in Europe, but it didn't really dent the market here.

VW sells the Polo in Europe and everywhere else, but not North America. Their Seat, Skoda and Cupra brands aren't sold in the US. Renault models and their second brand Dacia aren't sold in the US. And there are a lot more.

Like US political parties don't like competition from third parties, US automakers don't like competition from Europe and Asia.
Another part of the problem is some of those cars mentioned don't meet our safety requirements..

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:19 am
highdesert wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:02 am There are so many makes and models of autos that aren't imported into the US. Of the Stellantis models Ram and Jeep will still be sold here along with Maserati, but I don't see any of the other ones selling here like Opel, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen... The VW Golf has been the best selling car in Europe, but it didn't really dent the market here.

Another part of the problem is some of those cars mentioned don't meet our safety requirements..
I think that's more the US manufacturers and unions not wanting more competition. VW already sells cars in the US as does Toyota and Honda, Renault doesn't but they've sold Nissans here for decades.

When I moved to my current town, there was an active Suzuki auto dealership that sold a very popular all wheel drive car. I still see many of them around town. Suzuki is the 4th largest car company in Japan, but Suzuki doesn't sell cars any longer in the US, just motorcycles. Suzuki autos are still popular in Europe and of course Asia and other continents. Like Isuzu which once had a popular pick up truck and SUV, they also departed American shores.

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:55 pm When I moved to my current town, there was an active Suzuki auto dealership that sold a very popular all wheel drive car. I still see many of them around town. Suzuki is the 4th largest car company in Japan, but Suzuki doesn't sell cars any longer in the US, just motorcycles. Suzuki autos are still popular in Europe and of course Asia and other continents. Like Isuzu which once had a popular pick up truck and SUV, they also departed American shores.
Suzukis are popular in Australia as well.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:55 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:55 pm When I moved to my current town, there was an active Suzuki auto dealership that sold a very popular all wheel drive car. I still see many of them around town. Suzuki is the 4th largest car company in Japan, but Suzuki doesn't sell cars any longer in the US, just motorcycles. Suzuki autos are still popular in Europe and of course Asia and other continents. Like Isuzu which once had a popular pick up truck and SUV, they also departed American shores.
But the Suzuki Samurai had a major problem, it like to roll over and play dead.

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:18 pm
Just ONE little problem....
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:01 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:18 pm
Just ONE little problem....
They're a death trap in a wreck.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Yeah Suzuki shoulda stuck to motorcycles. But all those big Japanese conglomerates make all kinds of stuff. Mitsubishi used to make FABULOUS electronics. I have a Yamaha CD changer, receiver and tape deck, an electric piano and two acoustic guitars and a bass (one of the 2 is my son's), and two motorcycle, and a 4k generator converted to run on Propane or gas.