Re: "Patrol rifle" stolen from Massachusetts State Police cruiser

WBZ-TV Security Analyst Ed Davis says it's not unusual for some tactical officers to keep their firearms in their vehicles for ready access, but what the intentions are of these thieves raises many more questions. "That's your fear when you get into an investigation like this. In the back of your mind, you're thinking what's next," Davis said. The cruiser belongs to a trooper assigned to Logan Airport, sources told the I-Team. "At this time we have no indication of the rifle being used subsequent to its theft," State Police spokesman Dave Procopio said in a statement. I-Team sources said it "appears to be a professional job." As the cruiser was driven from the garage, and then put on a flatbed, a broken lock was visible on the driver's door.

Davis says troopers and officers take many steps to secure their firearms, heightening the concern this was a more sophisticated robbery. "There is usually a process of things to go through to get that thing open," Davis said. "That would indicate inside knowledge of how systems work. That doesn't mean someone within the police agency, but someone who may work in the industry."
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/rif ... he%20time.

No audible alarm or remote alarm on the cruiser?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Safe storage requirements doesn’t seem to apply to police that’s only for peons. Not that I think there should be such laws. There should be simple consequences for negligence when it’s part of your profession and should be part of your training. I’d say being assigned to a duty roster that doesn’t include possession of gun while on duty would be appropriate for anyone losing or failing to secure a weapon.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

BKinzey wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:42 pm Good thing it wasn't an Assault Weapon. Those things are dangerous!
(Sarcasm) So here’s the solution to the “AWB” issue. We agree to their ban on assault weapons and make sure it applies to law enforcement. In exchange “patrol rifles” are to be sold to the civilian sector as well. It’s a good thing all my modern rifles are already “patrol rifles”. 😂 !

Seriously that’s some semantic gymnastics!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:46 pm Safe storage requirements doesn’t seem to apply to police that’s only for peons. Not that I think there should be such laws. There should be simple consequences for negligence when it’s part of your profession and should be part of your training. I’d say being assigned to a duty roster that doesn’t include possession of gun while on duty would be appropriate for anyone losing or failing to secure a weapon.
I guess you have more faith in LEO's training and competence than I do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Idiotswithguns ... t_weapons/