Re: Democratic Washington State Reps' "assault weapon" ban bill passes

featureless wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:21 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:34 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:28 pm That NJ AWB needs to be decided asap.
I predict all dem controlled states will pass an AWB before the election and before the SCOTUS decides. Then they will refuse to comply anyway just like California.
Sure seems that way. "In common use for lawful purposes" has been with us since Heller.
AWB ain't never gonna happen in AZ I'll put money on it. Saying stuff like that is akin to yelling fire in a movie theatre. Pure bullshit.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:03 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:21 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:34 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:28 pm That NJ AWB needs to be decided asap.
I predict all dem controlled states will pass an AWB before the election and before the SCOTUS decides. Then they will refuse to comply anyway just like California.
Sure seems that way. "In common use for lawful purposes" has been with us since Heller.
AWB ain't never gonna happen in AZ I'll put money on it. Saying stuff like that is akin to yelling fire in a movie theatre. Pure bullshit.
So one democrat hold out among how many currently actively pursuing an AWB? I'll keep yelling, thanks. :)

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:21 am It's happened before and I didn't have one so I was left out in t h e cold for years.
But I learned and bought one.
Is it fair? No May have been the only thing Bush did right was stop the ban.
So I suggest y'all get with it. And stop whining. Lol
Things were a little different when the ban was signed. I wouldn't give BushII too much credit for 'stopping the ban'..it was sunsetted in 2004.
Afterward, Speaker Thomas S. Foley and his top lieutenants, all Democrats, trooped down to the White House with a message for a shocked president who was already struggling on his signature health care proposal: Drop a divisive ban on assault weapons or the crime bill won’t pass.
When I voted for it, I actually had to have police protection for six months,” Representative Fred Upton, Republican of Michigan, said of the backlash to his vote for the assault weapons ban. “It was really nasty.”
Representative Jack Brooks, the pro-gun Texas Democrat who was chairman of the Judiciary Committee, led the effort to defeat the ban, and he scored a notable success in mid-August when he and nearly 60 other Democrats mutinied.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/07/us/p ... s-ban.html

With 9/11 still in everybody's mind, there was little chance that the AWB would have been re-instated.

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:21 am So I suggest y'all get with it. And stop whining. Lol
I would like my daughter to have, at a minimum, the same rights or better as her mother and me. So far, but for the fact she lives in California, she's lost her right to an abortion. Shall I cheer that I got my AW but she will be denied that right? Shall I cheer that she won't be able to legally inherit mine? Do you really see such a rosy future for the US where there is no need for equal armament when politicians are actively verbally attacking LGBTQ people's right to exist? While those cries come from the right, the left is in full out restrict those people from defending themselves mode. The militarized police have got your backs, eh? Which "other" will be propped against the wall next?

Every time one right is regressively fucked over, regardless of the party doing the fucking, all rights are subject to same in the disgusting tit for tat that has become our politicians form of "leadership."

featureless wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am Every time one right is regressively fucked over, regardless of the party doing the fucking, all rights are subject to same in the disgusting tit for tat that has become our politicians form of "leadership."
Our "gotcha" politics at work. Neither side cares about rights, they start with the premise that they're automatically against what their opponents are advocating for. Keep issues black and white, followers don't have to critically analyze issues they just need to follow the party line.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I used to live in Washington State. It's a beautiful part of the country. At some point, I wouldn't have minded living there again.

That has now changed. The Democrats are trying, with some success, to turn Washington State into California and New York as far as the nanny-state goes. Stuff like what the Dems have done in Washington are why I'm no longer a Democrat. It seems that gun control is the fundamentalist, evangelistic "religion" of that political party, and if you don't tow that line, you're not "religious" enough for them.

Let's see the officials in Olympia give up their armed protection, using AR-15's and 17-round-magazine Glocks/Sigs/Etcetera, as an example of themselves following this now-passed bill. Let's see them go first and do that.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

featureless wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am
tonguengroover wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:21 am So I suggest y'all get with it. And stop whining. Lol
I would like my daughter to have, at a minimum, the same rights or better as her mother and me. So far, but for the fact she lives in California, she's lost her right to an abortion. Shall I cheer that I got my AW but she will be denied that right? Shall I cheer that she won't be able to legally inherit mine? Do you really see such a rosy future for the US where there is no need for equal armament when politicians are actively verbally attacking LGBTQ people's right to exist? While those cries come from the right, the left is in full out restrict those people from defending themselves mode. The militarized police have got your backs, eh? Which "other" will be propped against the wall next?

Every time one right is regressively fucked over, regardless of the party doing the fucking, all rights are subject to same in the disgusting tit for tat that has become our politicians form of "leadership."
This. Voting just to keep the other guy out and not on platform policies is guaranteeing we end up in the toilet and no rights for anyone and privileges for the select elites.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am

Gotta be proactive is all I'm saying. It's pretty easy to see the writing on the wall. I'd buy her an AR for when she leaves CA. And if she doesn't well thats on her.
If you ever visit the reddit.com/r/liberalgunowners/ you may have seen all sorts of LGBTQ people arming up.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:02 pm Gotta be proactive is all I'm saying. It's pretty easy to see the writing on the wall. I'd buy her an AR for when she leaves CA. And if she doesn't well thats on her.
If you ever visit the reddit.com/r/liberalgunowners/ you may have seen all sorts of LGBTQ people arming up.
My ire isn't directed at you, sorry it probably came across that way.

Writing on the wall is just so frustrating when it's so wrong headed by both parties.

The claim:
Moreover, the legislature finds that
assault weapons are not suitable for self-defense and that studies
show that assault weapons are statistically not used in self-defense.
The legislature finds that assault weapons are not commonly used in
self-defense and that any proliferation is not the result of the
assault weapon being well-suited for self-defense, hunting, or
sporting purposes.
They're arguing against Heller.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:28 pm The claim:
sporting purposes.

CDFingers
That should go over like lead balloon with SCOTUS if it gets there.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

CDFingers wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:28 pm The claim:
sporting purposes.

CDFingers
Their problem is, Heller said "legal purposes." Self defense is certainly one of those, perhaps even central. But it is not the only legal purposes. Further, such does not actually require millions of us shooting bad guys with ARs to qualify as "used for self defense." Owning one for self defense is a legal purpose. I've owned a fire extinguisher for decades. Even though I've never used it, it would seem a pretty fucking dumb argument to say it is not useful for putting out a fire.

I wonder how this will go over in eastern Washington State? I knew a man, years ago, that was living in Washington State. He told me there really was two Washington States the west side of the Cascade mountains that was Seattle, Olympia and Tacoma. He called that area California Lite. The eastern side of the Cascades he called that Prepper, Come and Take It country. They are so rightwing they consider most Republicans too liberal to talk to.

That was awhile back so I wonder if it is still the same?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

If you look at county election maps of Washington and Oregon, counties west of the Cascades are blue and east of the Cascades are red. And those red eastern counties run into red states of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming... Eastern California also has red counties that run into similar counties in Arizona and Nevada.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TrueTexan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:07 am I wonder how this will go over in eastern Washington State? I knew a man, years ago, that was living in Washington State. He told me there really was two Washington States the west side of the Cascade mountains that was Seattle, Olympia and Tacoma. He called that area California Lite. The eastern side of the Cascades he called that Prepper, Come and Take It country. They are so rightwing they consider most Republicans too liberal to talk to.

That was awhile back so I wonder if it is still the same?
The American Redoubt is a political migration movement first proposed in 2011 by survivalist novelist and blogger James Wesley Rawles which designates Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming along with parts of Oregon and Washington, as a safe haven for conservative Christians.