Heading in for surgery!

I was called in for a consultation on my shoulder injury today, unexpected. Well comrades I’m soon to be out of commission for awhile. Not that I’ve been in full form since my fall in January. As a result of my fall I tore two of my four rotator cuff muscles off and will need shoulder surgery. I’ll be operated on I think around the 17th and out the same day. The hard part will be a sling to immobilize my arm for six weeks and then physical therapy to follow. Puts a little crimp in my range plans. Perhaps I can go watch. LoL. It also means I won’t get much else done either that requires lifting over my head. I’m lucky that my wife had worked at UT Cancer Center as a researcher before retiring. It’s the only reason I got into surgery schedule this quick. I found that out while talking to the receptionist today. I had a consult appointment set for next week which I can now cancel.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Heading in for surgery!

Eris wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:51 pm Oof! I would send hugs, but with a shoulder injury maybe that's not the best idea. :D
Here's to a succesful surgery and speedy recovery then!
Thank you Eris! I have a pretty good tolerance for pain apparently, only bothers me at night. I just can’t lift my left arm high enough to aim a pistol! LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wings wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:09 pm Good luck with the surgery and recovery! Magnums are off the menu for a while, but I wonder if you can practice right-hand bullseye shooting with the .22s?
Luckily I’m ambidextrous even though I predominantly shoot left handed. Rifles are off the menu, I’m left eye dominant so I always shoot rifles on the left side.

So glad to hear that you were able to get scheduled for the procedure quickly. A plus of being in a large metro area is that your orthopedic surgeon probably does a lot of these procedures annually, so they and their team are experienced. We're all getting older so recovery from anything takes more time, you can still fondle your pistols and rifles and watch plenty of Youtube gun videos and share them with us. All the best !
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:44 pm So glad to hear that you were able to get scheduled for the procedure quickly. A plus of being in a large metro area is that your orthopedic surgeon probably does a lot of these procedures annually, so they and their team are experienced. We're all getting older so recovery from anything takes more time, you can still fondle your pistols and rifles and watch plenty of Youtube gun videos and share them with us. All the best !
Thanks, you are so right! My surgeon is an associate professor at UT, that’s a metropolitan benefit and we were in the university system because of my wife. Certainly more advancement in these procedures than decades ago.

Shit! Been there, done that! Fell off my motorcycle 19 years ago and dislocated my shoulder, very, very badly...spent 6 weeks in a cast and frame support, then 6 months of horribly painful P/T...but it was worth it. I went at P/T like it was an enemy I had to destroy...it was worth it. Good luck! But I remember it all like yesterday.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Salud!
Expecting you can still type us with one finger during your speedy recovery!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I had to learn to write with my left hand. I did and it was SO weird--it was like a completely different person's handwriting!
I also repaired the motorcycle with "one hand tied behind my back"--not literally--that would have made it worse, but, effectively. I learned to do a HELL of lot more with my left hand, including fixing the bike and replacing all the broke stuff. I still have that bike 19 years later, and it can still EASILY get past 100mph fast enough to make you crap your pants.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Someone asked if I could still do the SAS drop, shoot prone, roll and shoot.

I told them I had no issues with the drop roll and shoot drill. But the stand back up part ...

Get better soon.

Two recent additions did pleasantly surprise me. I still love and often carry one of my full size or commander 1911s but must admit the S&W 380EZ and Ruger LCP2 Lite Rack 22lr have been getting more than their fair share of WalkAbout.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:05 am Someone asked if I could still do the SAS drop, shoot prone, roll and shoot.

I told them I had no issues with the drop roll and shoot drill. But the stand back up part ...

Get better soon.

Two recent additions did pleasantly surprise me. I still love and often carry one of my full size or commander 1911s but must admit the S&W 380EZ and Ruger LCP2 Lite Rack 22lr have been getting more than their fair share of WalkAbout.
Welcome back and thanks! I just fixed the electrical on my garage door yesterday. Realized that after the surgery or even now manually lifting it wasn’t an option. LoL. The motor plastic cover broke years ago so I didn’t use it. Yesterday went and bought a square 10”x10”x12 plastic container drilled holes and strapped it to the motor mounting brackets reconnected the wiring and viola, it worked! LoL. I’ve been carrying a S&W 649 . Love the pocket fit revolver.

CDFingers wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:21 am We loves us a good improvisational repair project, we do.

CDFingers
My wife said I wait too long to do my Gyro Gearloose* solutions. LoL. Says I should have done it years ago. She said I have a tendency to put things off and then pop when push comes to shove a solution appears.

*Side not she used the Finnish name for Gyro - Pelle Peloton.