Right Wing gun forums are scary!

Right Wing gun forums are scary! And when I say "right-wing", I mean pretty much every one other than this one.

Wild covid conspiracy theories.

Downright calls for violence against Liberals and Liberal politicians.

Illogical and irrational skepticism of any Biden or Democrat achievements.

Rampant bigotry.

And these people are armed!!! Often armed to the teeth.

Its a very sad and scary state of affairs.

What can we do about it? Is there anything we CAN do about it?

Or is our only hope to get more liberals be comfortable with guns and arm themselves?

And how do we possibly do that when the mainstream media basically tells us every second that the main problem is simply the existence and prevalence of guns?

Sigh..

Re: Right Wing gun forums are scary!

CDFingers wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:35 am This is why many of us find refuge here--that's why I'm here and not there, anyway.

CDFingers
I hear you. I am glad this place exists. I wish there were a lot more. Unfortunately our side of the political spectrum tends to hate and fear guns, except when they are in the hands of the police and the military. And politicians and their security staff. And wealthy business people!

:(

Yeah stay away from those places if you want to maintain your faith in any sort of humanity.

I haven’t been to a “mainline” gun forum in over 10 years.

Even though there are a wide diversity of political viewpoints on this forum; we respectfully disagree and keep it civil (for the most part.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:42 am Yeah stay away from those places if you want to maintain your faith in any sort of humanity.

Even though there are a wide diversity of political viewpoints on this forum; we respectfully disagree and keep it civil (for the most part.)

Are there any other gun forums that are not dominated by right wing insanity?

Jondoe541 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:56 am
INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:42 am Yeah stay away from those places if you want to maintain your faith in any sort of humanity.

The only other one I have found that is relatively free of that kinda nonsense is thehighroad.org and I know a few of us here go there.
there's another one called gunboards.com that wasn't too bad (banned) until a few whack jobs took it over. Just stay away from the political backroom sub forums.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

thehighroad.org is pretty tolerable, more often than not, particularly in the non-politics subfora. It's also big and quite useful. Rimfire Central is fairly sane, in my experience. The Bullseye-L forum is pretty chill, but also very niche. Those last two also have pretty good guns for sale listings, and this is another favorite for that: http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/ I don't see a lot of craziness on the Smith-Wesson forum, but I mostly look at that listing page unless I have a specific question.

Anything with "Ruger," "Glock" or "AR" in the name will be completely insane, I think.

There is a very active subReddit at r/liberalgunowners, but Reddit subs are very much short-attention-span-theater. If you're not looking at it all the time, you'll miss everything. A good place to see what the kids are up to, since if I'm not much mistaken, it has a WAY lower average age than we do here.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

tonguengroover wrote:

The only other one I have found that is relatively free of that kinda nonsense is thehighroad.org and I know a few of us here go there.
there's another one called gunboards.com that wasn't too bad (banned) until a few whack jobs took it over. Just stay away from the political backroom sub forums.
Yeah the THR is ok - as long as you stay out of the political sections. The politics do tend to bleed out into the guns sections sometimes - but it’s pretty well moderated.

The other “outdoors” forum I go to occasionally to is Bushcraftusa, and they have a strictly “no politics” rule that is strictly enforced. The firearms section there is generally very knowledgeable.

We're anachronisms - liberal and gun owner. Traditionally gun owners have been conservative, but times change and younger guns owners aren't necessarily conservative or liberal, some are moderate and independent. Lurking on Calguns over the years, I've can seen that site change. Still some old conservative lions, but a lot more gun information sharing and less politics. Everyone is concerned about state and federal legislation that could impact them. The Highroad is a good site, I used to follow Rimfire Central and a few others. I never really got into a lot of politics on the other boards, I'd gather information and skip to another board.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Jondoe541 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:23 am
Downright calls for violence against Liberals and Liberal politicians.
This is what ended an old friendship for me: A political argument on social media when one of my friend's buddies said, "Kill 'em all" about liberals. I called them out on it, and he didn't apologize, my buddy said, "He's only joking."

That's what the muggers said, too, in New York in the '70s after an unsuccessful attempt to steal your money. So we no longer speak to each other, don't send each other Christmas cards anymore. (I did call him a fucking Nazi, which he didn't appreciate, but if someone supports the insurrection, what do they expect?)

The Taurus forum is not bad at all-- I haven't seen any political posts-- but the terms of service are intolerable: You give Taurus permission to use anything you post AND your real name and address. So I just lurk there, did not join.

My hope is that if right wing gun nuts do start carrying out their threats, they are as stupid tactically as they are in all other things.

I also spend time on "The High Road." That said I had one site, The firing Line, where the admins doxed me by selling people what IP address, and what cities, I was logging in from. In a small town that can become easily identifiable information when combined with the pictures we tend to post. Fortunately, most of the time I had my VPN on.

The users there were getting pretty abusive. It was time to move on.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Hasaf wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:21 pm I also spend time on "The High Road." That said I had one site, The firing Line, where the admins doxed me by selling people what IP address, and what cities, I was logging in from. In a small town that can become easily identifiable information when combined with the pictures we tend to post. Fortunately, most of the time I had my VPN on.

The users there were getting pretty abusive. It was time to move on.
High Road seems professional and very anti-politics. At least politics not directly related to gun issues.

Rayj wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:47 pm https://singleactions.proboards.com/
This is a great site with knowledgeable folks. Some pretty big names in the gun world post on the boards. Also a helpful bunch to boot. No politics allowed.
Whoa. Good steer, Rayj. Just poked around there a bit, did a few quick searches and didn't see any political content at all. Being new to SA-- and, I am learning, I really know next to nothing about firearms generally, and realizing how much catching up I gotta do-- there was a TON of interesting information and history. Some really nice photos of custom builds, too. I'll poke around a lot more before I even think about joining, but I'm sure I'll be back.

Me, I find lurking other boards to be more than enough - I might never have joined here if it hadn't been 2020 at the time. Certainly interesting things to learn on the technical end of things. Good for a subjective view on comparative merits. Never seems like my participation will be worth a damn.

I still see familiar names on some of those boards that don't post over here anymore, and I miss the place this was a few years back - but I don't miss the circumstances that brought so many people together. I don't keep a firearm loaded anymore, although they've always stayed secured.