Biden's 2023 State of the Union address is tonight.

On the eve of the SOTU address, a new poll from AP-NORC.
A majority of Democrats now think one term is plenty for President Joe Biden, despite his insistence that he plans to seek reelection in 2024. That’s according to a new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research that shows just 37% of Democrats say they want him to seek a second term, down from 52% in the weeks before last year’s midterm elections. While Biden has trumpeted his legislative victories and ability to govern, the poll suggests relatively few U.S. adults give him high marks on either. Follow-up interviews with poll respondents suggest that many believe the 80-year-old’s age is a liability, with people focused on his coughing, his gait, his gaffes and the possibility that the world’s most stressful job would be better suited for someone younger.

“I, honestly, think that he would be too old,” said Sarah Overman, 37, a Democrat who works in education in Raleigh, North Carolina. “We could use someone younger in the office.” As the president gives his State of the Union address Tuesday, he has a chance to confront fundamental doubts about his competence to govern. Biden has previously leaned heavily on his track record to say that he’s more than up to the task. When asked if he can handle the office’s responsibilities at his age, the president has often responded as if he’s accepting a dare: “Watch me.”
Overall, 41% approve of how Biden is handling his job as president, the poll shows, similar to ratings at the end of last year. A majority of Democrats still approve of the job Biden is doing as president, yet their appetite for a reelection campaign has slipped despite his electoral track record. Only 22% of U.S. adults overall say he should run again, down from 29% who said so before last year’s midterm elections. The decline among Democrats saying Biden should run again for president appears concentrated among younger people. Among Democrats age 45 and over, 49% say Biden should run for reelection, nearly as many as the 58% who said that in October. But among those under age 45, 23% now say he should run for reelection, after 45% said that before the midterms.
The poll of 1,068 adults was conducted Jan. 26-30 using a sample drawn from NORC’s probability-based AmeriSpeak Panel, which is designed to be representative of the U.S. population. The margin of sampling error for all respondents is plus or minus 4.2 percentage points.
https://apnews.com/article/ap-norc-poll ... e2b1db03f6

Another poll from the Washington Post/ABC News:
Two years into a presidency that the White House casts as the most effective in modern history, President Biden is set to deliver a State of the Union address Tuesday to a skeptical country with a majority of Americans saying they do not believe he has achieved much since taking office, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The poll finds that 62 percent of Americans think Biden has accomplished “not very much” or “little or nothing” during his presidency, while 36 percent say he has accomplished “a great deal” or “a good amount.” On many of Biden’s signature initiatives — from improving the country’s infrastructure to making electric vehicles more affordable to creating jobs — majorities of Americans say they do not believe he has made progress, the poll finds.
Overall, the poll’s findings are not reassuring for either party. On the looming fight over the debt limit, most Americans are closer to Biden’s position than the GOP’s, and most dismiss Republican plans to investigate the government’s “weaponization” as political. And Americans have little confidence in either Biden or House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) to make the right decisions for the country’s future. Just under 2 in 10 Americans have “a great deal” or “a good amount” of confidence in the speaker to do so; 71 percent have “just some” or no confidence at all. A similarly high 72 percent say they lack such confidence in congressional Republicans, and 68 percent say the same about Biden and 70 percent about congressional Democrats.
The president received more good news Friday, with the release of new data showing that the labor market added 517,000 jobs and the unemployment rate dropped to 3.4 percent, the lowest level since May 1969. “I’m happy to report that the state of the union and the state of our economy is strong,” Biden said after the numbers were released. Yet a growing number of Americans say their own financial circumstances are worsening on Biden’s watch. Roughly 4 in 10 Americans (41 percent) say they are not as well-off financially since Biden became president, up from 35 percent one year ago and the highest percentage to report such a sentiment under any president in Post-ABC polls since measurement began in 1986.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... en-impact/

It's apparent Biden is running for a second term at 80 years of age. Reports are that Jill Biden will be playing a bigger part in the campaign, not a role people feel she's comfortable with.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Biden's 2023 State of the Union address is tonight.

I liked his speech. He sounded convincing enough to me. And at 80 years old, if he wants the job and can do it, why not? His age and experience in politics is hardly a liability IMHO.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

For those who think Biden should step aside consider this:

The last time a Republican stood aside and was succeeded by another Republican was in 1880, when Hayes didn't run again, and Garfield was elected (the only current member of the House to EVER be elected President).

The last time a Democrat stood aside and was succeeded by another Democrat was in 1856, when Pierce was followed by Buchanan.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

He owned hapless R's many times, most notably on Social Security and Medicare. Also on jobs. And US manufacturing. Here's a juicy reddit thread:

https://old.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... the_union/

Dark Brandon does it in spades.

Going through some press this morning and found this from USA Today:
President Joe Biden, at the ripe age of 80, came out with ample vim and vigor in Tuesday night’s State of the Union address and proceeded to mop the House floor with the howling, discombobulated remains of the Republican Party.

Preaching populism and leaning hard on his noted skill as the empathizer-in-chief, Biden bounded through a speech that acknowledged the nation’s struggles while remaining unerringly optimistic. He went off script regularly, parrying Republican lawmakers who heckled him, at one point backing the whole party into a corner and getting them to swear to protect Medicare and Social Security benefits.

I’ve never seen anything like it in a State of the Union speech – they ran at him like a pack of lemmings and, with a wink and a grin, he politely directed them to the cliff.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 202538002/

Yep: mopped the floor with them.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

And the Repugs couldn't find anybody better than Sarah Huckabee Sanders to deliver the rebuttal speech for the GOP.
The 15-minute speech included a litany of far-right grievances about so-called “woke” mobs that she claimed are indoctrinating American children about race and gender, alongside more conventional GOP criticisms of Biden’s policies.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sarah-hu ... 928874b467

If Sarah and the other Repugs had their way, they would roll everything back to before Brown vs. The Board of Eduction.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I agree Wino it was quite entertaining. It was very interactive, it reminded me more of Britain's Prime Minister's Question time which is held weekly in the House of Commons. PMQ as it's called is rowdy and raucous and sometimes members get expelled for the day. Examples when John Bercow was speaker of the House of Commons; Sir Lindsay Hoyle when he was deputy speaker/chairman of the whole; Betty Boothroyd, the first female speaker...

The SOTU is outdated, but it's required by the Constitution. A president doesn't have to appear in person, many presidents have sent a written statement to Congress.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

FrontSight wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:04 pm We all knew MGT the attention whore would be in full form and she didn't disappoint.
Yup along with Boebert, Gaetz...
U.S. Senator Mitt Romney told embattled fellow Republican Representative George Santos on Tuesday that he should not be in Congress and shouldn't have taken a central seat at President Joe Biden's State of the Union address. Romney, an elder statesman of the party and former Republican presidential candidate, was seen having a brief exchange with Santos, who has made multiple false claims about his past on his way into the House of Representatives chamber before the address.

"He shouldn't be in Congress and they're going to go through the process and hopefully get him out," Romney told reporters after the speech. "But he shouldn't be there and if he had any shame at all he wouldn't be there." Santos, who represents a New York district, had taken a seat along the center aisle of the chamber, which the president, members of this Cabinet, Supreme Court justices and senators use to enter the hall.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/romney ... 023-02-08/

I’ve never seen anything like it in a State of the Union speech – they ran at him like a pack of lemmings and, with a wink and a grin, he politely directed them to the cliff.
It was amazing how Grandpa could round up all the kids, walk them out to the edge of the lake, and one by one kick them in the behind into the water and laugh as he explained to them how to swim. That was a lifetime of “politicking” at work which the GQP has none of, fighting and haranguing on single issues like soap-boxing on street corners while they held (and waste) actual seats of power. This was also nothing like TOS, who appears somewhat genius in taking down opponents in debates through character assassinations but ultimately is seen as spouting endless ad-hominems for lack of anything of substance. This was Dark Brandon showing how government is run. And leading them to join him in the good fight… “Let’s finish the job!”

Hell, he actually managed to say with a self-effacing grin, “Heck, I’ve been in Congress pretty much longer than any of you here.” and everybody literally laughed in agreement! -F’ing Dark Brandon, man!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sikacz wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:08 pm
FrontSight wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:07 pm I just don't have the stomach for political speeches, so of course I didn't watch. I'm far less interested in what politicians say than what they actually do or try to do.
Same. To me these are political pep rallies.
Basically, yeah.

I do believe there is utility in a an annual report out to congress and the citizens. I wish it were formal and subjective reporting of actual metrics (you know, like everyone else's bosses require), vs just a clown show and political speeches with gross exaggerations.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:48 pm
FrontSight wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:07 pm I just don't have the stomach for political speeches, so of course I didn't watch. I'm far less interested in what politicians say than what they actually do or try to do.
Basically, yeah.

I do believe there is utility in a an annual report out to congress and the citizens. I wish it were formal and subjective reporting of actual metrics (you know, like everyone else's bosses require), vs just a clown show and political speeches with gross exaggerations.
Agree.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

FrontSight wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:48 pm
Basically, yeah.

What did Biden grossly exaggerate about specifically?

They are pep rallies of sorts. Biden shamed the repugs on a couple issues. Lots of moaning and groaning.
And it's a great way to g e t the message out.
A few here wouldn't be happy with anyone. Even Lincoln. All they do is bitch because it ain't 100% their viewpoint.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:22 pm What did Biden grossly exaggerate about specifically?
Like I said, I didn't watch. I was making a generalization, but I'm confident he embellished at some point...likely multiple points. I'm just not interested enough to listen to the speech. I know EXACTLY what Biden has and has not done in the past 2 years. I follow issues, not parties.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

So TOS gave his SOTU reply to Biden’s speech. If you want to read stupid statement of how he is a victim.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald- ... e3fc88971b

It can’t come fast enough to see him in an orange jumpsuit, with no links to the internet or other outside contacts.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,