Santos - Help me understand

So everyone is saying there’s nothing that can be done about all his lies. Well, what about charges on fraud?

He completely mis-represented everything about himself and defrauded the public. So why can’t they charge him with fraud?
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Santos - Help me understand

The Nassau County DA (Long Island) said she's investigating, Santos was elected under New York laws. Legislative chambers can refuse to swear in or seat new members or expel them for various reasons. Republicans are unlikely to expel Santos, they already have a slim majority.

Democrats are smarting after their loss of two NY US House seats due to their lazy campaigning. That's after they tried to gerrymander NY House seats and were smacked down by their highest state court and a special master rewrote the district maps.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

If the republican side of the house had one iota of integrity they would not have sworn this lying POS into office. Unfortunately, you couldn't shove onion paper between integrity and stupid in this case. RWNJ's all.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:15 pm If the republican side of the house had one iota of integrity they would not have sworn this lying POS into office. Unfortunately, you couldn't shove onion paper between integrity and stupid in this case. RWNJ's all.
I think we have established the Republican party is completely incapable of self regulation.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

OK, Sadly, most of the assertions here are WRONG!
First, once elected there is no "recall" mechanism for Representatives nor Senators. The member can only be expelled if 2/3 of the chamber agree. Otherwise he has to be voted out of office.
Second, while each House has the final say in elections to their House, they cannot simply refuse to seat a duly elected member. The SCOTUS ruled on this long ago about Adam Clayton Powell when Congress refused to seat him but the SCOTUS said they have no power to do that--they MUST seat him.
None of this prevents the DOJ from investigating him, even charging him. Brazil might WELL sue to extradite him--I don't know if congress can block it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Some Democrats and Republicans have encouraged the House Ethics Committee to investigate Santos, among the Republicans is Matt Gaetz. If the Committee recommends Santos be expelled and 2/3rds of House members agree, Santos is out. McCarthy isn't going to push this because he needs every Republican vote to keep their majority.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It's up to the Nassau County DA to determine if he committed any crimes under New York State laws. He wasn't listed on the SEC complaint about Harbor City, so he wasn't referred for prosecution. The FBI and DOJ can investigate and prosecute anything or anybody. As various House committees start digging into the FBI and DOJ over Maraloco and other things, I wonder if Santos will be a high priority for DOJ prosecutors.

When someone like this lies to get elected as a federal representative and the DOJ has higher priorities, you know the country is in deep do-do.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Santos to FEC: $500,000 loan to my campaign wasn’t actually from my personal funds

U.S. Rep. George Santos (R-NY) revealed on Tuesday that the mysterious half-million dollars he had reported to the Federal Election Commission as a personal loan of his personal funds to his political campaign wasn’t actually from his personal funds.

The Daily Beast reports that Tuesday afternoon, “Santos’ political operation filed a flurry of amended campaign finance reports, telling the feds, among other things, that a $500,000 loan he gave to his campaign didn’t, in fact, come from his personal funds as he’d previously claimed.”

The question many have been asking remains the same: where did that money come from?

It remains unanswered.

Another amended filing on Tuesday disclosed that a $125,000 ‘loan from the candidate’ in late October also did not come from his ‘personal funds,’ but like the $500,000 question, did not say where the money came from, when the loan was due, or what entity, if any, backed the money.”
https://www.rawstory.com/george-santos-fec/

I know, it was a gift from God or other Russian Oligarchs https://people.com/politics/george-sant ... -oligarch/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

DOJ Signals Launch Of George Santos Criminal Probe After Telling FEC To Stand Down

The Department of Justice has told the Federal Election Commission to hold off on any enforcement action against Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) in the DOJ’s clearest signal yet that it’s conducting its own criminal investigation into Santos’ campaign finances, The Washington Post reported Friday.

The Justice Department also asked the FEC to provide any relevant documents for an investigation, sources told the Post.
In a separate investigation, the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday conducted interviews on Santos’ role in the investment firm Harbor City Capital, which shut down in 2021 after the SEC accused it of operating a “classic Ponzi scheme,” the Post reported.

FEC investigators will likely honor the Justice Department’s request and step back from their civil investigation to let the DOJ conduct a criminal probe, the Post reported.

The DOJ back-off request “indicates there’s an active criminal investigation,” campaign finance lawyer Brett Kappel told the Post.
Full story here:https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... ation-fec/

He is in Deep DoDo if the DOJ is asking the other agencies to back off while they investigate. I would not be surprised that he tries to skip out of the country or go to MarALoco and ask for the other Big Liar to protect him.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

He won't be able to legislate from prison. Sooner or later he will have to give up his seat or be expelled and then the seat will probably flip. Plus there's another seat where the candidate ran despite knowing he was dying, died after the election and is a sure Dem seat. That will increase Hakeem's minority to 214, just 4 votes short, and decrease ReThugs to 221, a 4 vote majority. And McCarthy doesn't have the smarts, the spine, or the experience to hold his conference in check. Hell, he doesn't even know what "in check" means!

BTW, Hakeem Jeffries is now the most prominent graduate of my university--15 years after I graduated from it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Top Donors To George Santos’ 2020 Campaign. Many Don’t Seem To Exist.

In September 2020, George Santos’ congressional campaign reported that Victoria and Jonathan Regor had each contributed $2,800—the maximum amount—to his first bid for a House seat. Their listed address was 45 New Mexico Street in Jackson Township, New Jersey.

A search of various databases reveals no one in the United States named Victoria or Jonathan Regor. Moreover, there is nobody by any name living at 45 New Mexico Street in Jackson. That address doesn’t exist. There is a New Mexico Street in Jackson, but the numbers end in the 20s, according to Google Maps and a resident of the street.

Santos’ 2020 campaign finance reports also list a donor named Stephen Berger as a $2,500 donor and said he was a retiree who lived on Brandt Road in Brawley, California. But a spokesperson for William Brandt, a prominent rancher and Republican donor, tells Mother Jones that Brandt has lived at that address for at least 20 years and “neither he or his wife (the only other occupant [at the Brandt Road home]) have made any donations to George Santos. He does not know Stephen Berger nor has Stephen Berger ever lived at…Brandt Road.”

The Regor and Berger contributions are among more than a dozen major donations to the 2020 Santos campaign for which the name or the address of the donor cannot be confirmed, a Mother Jones investigation found. A separate $2,800 donation was attributed in Santos’ reports filed with the Federal Election Commission to a friend of Santos who says he did not give the money.

Under federal campaign finance law, it is illegal to donate money using a false name or the name of someone else. “It’s called a contribution in the name of another,” says Saurav Ghosh, the director for federal campaign finance reform at the Campaign Legal Center, a nonpartisan watchdog group. “It’s something that is explicitly prohibited under federal law.”
Full article: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -to-exist/

He just gets deeper and deeper in piles of shit. I bet he will be not only kicked out of congress but will be facing some time at the Federal Iron Bar Hotel. Maybe he could share a cell block with TOS and his cronies.

Democrats are taking this as..."See, I told you they're pieces of shit"

When they should be taking this as...

"Oh shit, people will vote for overt frauds over a Democrat".

The people who are dumb enough to fall for the whole culture wars bullshit are also smart enough to vote. Dems have to find a way to reach that IQ demographic.

FrontSight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:57 pm Democrats are taking this as..."See, I told you they're pieces of shit"

The people who are dumb enough to fall for the whole culture wars bullshit are also smart enough to vote. Dems have to find a way to reach that IQ demographic.
From what I read most of his lies only came out AFTER he was elected.

FrontSight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:57 pm Democrats are taking this as..."See, I told you they're pieces of shit"

Yeah, that. This was the gut-wrenching reckoning from 2016. Gun culture is only part of it, but it aligns with the rural / urban divide between parties. If the left could recapture just 10% of rural voters, it would make for decisive majorities in Congress.

Jondoe is right, it wasn't until late December that the NY Times and the Jewish Insider published their investigations. Santos' Dem challenger Robert Zimmerman and the NY Democratic Party deserved to lose, they were lazy and assumed they owned that House seat. No party owns any political office, Republicans have been equally dumb. Republicans also want Santos gone.

The current Nassau County, NY DA is Anne Donnelly a Republican who is investigating Santos.
Anne Donnelly officially became the county’s top prosecutor just over a year ago, propelled by a campaign focused on state bail laws and funded almost single-handedly by the county Republican Party. She is a 32-year veteran of the DA’s office who has conducted wide-ranging investigations against gangs and white-collar criminals. And last month, she pledged in strikingly strong terms to train her expertise on newly elected Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.).

That pronouncement launched her from relative obscurity into national headlines. And going forward, her prosecutorial experience, the desire of fellow Republicans to rid themselves of Santos and the unique powers of the district attorney’s office put her in a prime position to pounce on the fact-challenged lawmaker. “This fell into her lap. It’s in her backyard. I think she is more than capable of handling it, and she has the will of the people to do something,” said Vito Palmieri, a Long Island attorney who worked in the Nassau County DA’s office in the 1990s. “That the party wants him gone and she is a Republican doing her job — let’s put it this way — I don’t think that hurts her at all.”

Despite the hue and cry of Democrats, perhaps no one wants Santos out of office more than the Republicans of Nassau County, a leafy suburb abutting New York City that is home to 1.4 million people, many of whom commute into Manhattan.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/3 ... a-00080083

FrontSight wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:56 pm Again, what about fraud? His entire bio is a fraud. So are we saying that I can just run as a character/alias rather than be held to some level of truth on my bio?
I doubt he'll be removed. What is also doubtful is that he would ever be re-elected..But I really doubt he would be dumb enough to run again but..a GOPathetic so ya never know.

Rep. George Santos vows to stop lying : ‘I’ve learned my lesson’

Santos, a New York Republican, told a right-wing news outlet that he will be strictly telling the truth from now on.

“I’ve learned my lesson, he said in an interview with One America News Network Tuesday. “I can guarantee you that from now on anything, everything is always going to be aboveboard.”

After months of damaging disclosures that he lied about almost every aspect of his life, Santos asserted that he has been “largely aboveboard” all along.

“It’s largely always been aboveboard,” he said. “I’m just gonna go the extra step now to double-check, cross-reference everything.”
https://nordot.app/993576798423121920? ... 7532812385

He said this with his fingers so crossed it took a troop of Boy Scouts to untie them.

If you believe him, I have some stock options on a golf course run by TOS that is worth a lot more than the stock.price.

Rep. George Santos Reportedly Told Campaign Donors He Produced 'Spider-Man' Musical

The hits just keep on coming for Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) ― or should we say the lies.

Bloomberg is reporting that Santos told some potential donors during his 2022 congressional campaign that he produced the 2011 Broadway musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.”

An assistant to Michael Cohl, who actually was the producer of the musical, told Bloomberg that Santos was not a producer of the show.

In addition, his name never appeared in the playbills for the show, which lost tens of millions of dollars for investors and suffered from technical mishaps and actor injuries during its run from 2011 to 2014.
Full article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/george- ... 92887130e1

Is the next lie that he tells, that he is responsible for the resurrection of Christ.