Aguila SE SV for eight cents

https://interarmstx.com/product/aguila- ... -rds-case/

83 four-brick cases available at the moment for $150. Pretty darned good price. This stuff is slightly worse than CCI SV (and in my rough estimation slightly worse than the old Eley-primed version) and doubtless well behind the fancier products from Eley, but the gang on the Bullseye-L forum seem to consider it good enough to practice with. It's definitely way better than Winchester White Box HV lead, and a bit better than WWB HV copper-washed, and I'll bet anything that comes in a bucket of bullets. If you have a .22LR, you should probably buy one.

I have quite a bit of .22LR in my stores, but I'm still pretty darn tempted.

edit: sorry, did my math wrong in the subject line the first time!
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: Aguila SE SV for eight cents

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:17 pm Well isin't that because it's just lead and not copper plated? Is pretty cheap. Can we dip the tips in sumpin to stop fouling? :)
Isn't what? Do you mean the accuracy or the price?

In any case, neither. Most mid-range and high-end standard velocity .22LRs are plain lead bullets. CCI SV, Norma Tac22, and Eley Target are all plain lead SVs that I've shot a lot of. No big problems with fouling, that I've noticed. I admit I should probably clean my .22s slightly more often, or at least LOOK in the bore before and after each day of shooting! Maybe I'd see it if I looked! I did clean all of them a few weeks ago, and shot two of them last week a little, so I'll look if I get them out for dry-fire practice tonight.

The REALLY expensive target stuff, like Eley Tenex and Lapua X-act (which sell for 50 cents and 75 cents per round respectively) are similar plain lead. Presumably people serious enough about shooting .22 matches to pay those prices aren't going to accept rapid fouling. I've never used these. Eley Target is fancy enough for me! It, and I guess maybe the high end stuff also, has a weird oily lube. I don't know if that works better or worse than the dry, waxy lube on the more plebian cartridges.

I used to be partial to Federal AutoMatch, which is about the only bulk-packed ammo I tried successfully (didn't try a huge variety, admittedly, mostly a couple of flavors of Winchester, IIRC) which is a high-velocity with plain bullet. They claim 1200 fps which is on the low end for claims of velocity in HV .22s, by a little. I'm pretty sure it's supersonic from my 10" MkII but subsonic from my 5.5" barrel, based on the snap I hear. I used to shoot a lot of it out of the 10", which was when I decided the plan was "clean only when accuracy degrades." The fact that the accuracy did degrade after a few hundred rounds may indicate that it fouls a little. Worse than others? Not sure. I'm too careless to keep track.

I broke down and bought a case. I think I have a problem! I probably already had a lifetime supply of .22LR, and I'm almost certain I do now unless I'm able to retire near a gun range. (I have a concern that my favorite range now, which is about a 40' drive in light traffic, may not survive forever. I've heard someone say that their rights to the land were a handshake deal a long time ago and everyone involved is dead, so I assume they're literally on shaky ground.)

My life. There is a closer indoor range but they flew the flag for the dumpster fire proudly up through November 2020 - to be fair, it came down well before 1/6. My preferred range is the oddball of the ODNR system, run on a contract lease on Corps of Engineers land. The former leaseholder decided to retire, but there's a holdup on transferring the lease with the range closed until further notice. I was told that under the terms of the old contract, the land has to be used as a public shooting range and if it isn't, an expensive but legally-mandated environmental remediation ensues. I expect bureaucracy to prevail.

Not knowing if I will have a convenient range I trust has done a lot to keep me from indulging the n+1 itch over the past year, I'll say that.

Off tangent, I've never been happy with lead bullets. My experience with CCI's lead offerings, even target grade, has been disappointing. Winchester bulk box was more accurate. Norma Tac-22 is accurate but the greasy lube starts giving me FTLs within a couple of magazines unless I alternate with plated ammo. The only non-plated ammo I've found that I like in .22LR is Sellier & Bellot's Club range, which seems to use a dry graphite lube. It's really good.

The ammo that loads and fires reliably and shoots most accurately for me tends to be "defensive" plated stuff. Velocitors are great. Punch too. I've even found comparable groups in Silvertips as long as the gun is relatively clean. Then again, YMMV. Every gun likes something different.

wings wrote:My life. There is a closer indoor range but they flew the flag for the dumpster fire proudly up through November 2020 - to be fair, it came down well before 1/6. My preferred range is the oddball of the ODNR system, run on a contract lease on Corps of Engineers land. The former leaseholder decided to retire, but there's a holdup on transferring the lease with the range closed until further notice. I was told that under the terms of the old contract, the land has to be used as a public shooting range and if it isn't, an expensive but legally-mandated environmental remediation ensues. I expect bureaucracy to prevail.

Not knowing if I will have a convenient range I trust has done a lot to keep me from indulging the n+1 itch over the past year, I'll say that.

Off tangent, I've never been happy with lead bullets. My experience with CCI's lead offerings, even target grade, has been disappointing. Winchester bulk box was more accurate. Norma Tac-22 is accurate but the greasy lube starts giving me FTLs within a couple of magazines unless I alternate with plated ammo. The only non-plated ammo I've found that I like in .22LR is Sellier & Bellot's Club range, which seems to use a dry graphite lube. It's really good.

The ammo that loads and fires reliably and shoots most accurately for me tends to be "defensive" plated stuff. Velocitors are great. Punch too. I've even found comparable groups in Silvertips as long as the gun is relatively clean. Then again, YMMV. Every gun likes something different.
That’s a bummer man, because we are “range rich” down here in Southwest Ohio. 16 years ago when I moved here you either had to be part of a private club, go to sketchy indoor ranges in cinci, drive a bit, or go to the ODNR Range. Now there are a bunch of corporate “Range USA” ranges down here, with the only downside is that the range is short. However, they completely refurbished the State ODNR range at Spring valley wild life area (right by where I hunt,35 mins away) so there are decent rifle ranges, too.

And yes, having a bunch of near by ranges definitely increases the temptation for n+1. Though not as bad as it was when I could shoot on my own property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk