Classified documents found at Mike Pence's Indiana home.

A lawyer for former Vice President Mike Pence discovered about a dozen documents marked as classified at Pence’s Indiana home last week, and he has turned those classified records over to the FBI, multiple sources familiar with the matter told CNN. The FBI and the Justice Department’s National Security Division have launched a review of the documents and how they ended up in Pence’s house in Indiana. The classified documents were discovered at Pence’s new home in Carmel, Indiana, by a lawyer for Pence in the wake of the revelations about classified material discovered in President Joe Biden’s private office and residence, the sources said. The discovery comes after Pence has repeatedly said he did not have any classified documents in his possession.

It is not yet clear what the documents are related to or their level of sensitivity or classification. Pence’s team notified congressional leaders and relevant committees of the discovery on Tuesday. Pence asked his lawyer to conduct the search of his home out of an abundance of caution, and the attorney began going through four boxes stored at Pence’s house last week, finding a small number of documents with classified markings, the sources said. Pence’s lawyer immediately alerted the National Archives, the sources said. In turn, the Archives informed the Justice Department.

A lawyer for Pence told CNN that the FBI requested to pick up the documents with classified markings that evening, and Pence agreed. Agents from the FBI’s field office in Indianapolis picked up the documents from Pence’s home, the lawyer said. On Monday, Pence’s legal team drove the boxes back to Washington, DC, and handed them over to the Archives to review the rest of the material for compliance with the Presidential Records Act. In a letter to the National Archives obtained by CNN, Pence’s representative to the Archives Greg Jacob wrote that a “small number of documents bearing classified markings” were inadvertently boxed and transported to the vice president’s home.

“Vice President Pence was unaware of the existence of sensitive or classified documents at his personal residence,” Jacob wrote. “Vice President Pence understands the high importance of protecting sensitive and classified information and stands ready and willing to cooperate fully with the National Archives and any appropriate inquiry.” The classified material was stored in boxes that first went to Pence’s temporary home in Virginia before they were moved to Indiana, according to the sources. The boxes were not in a secure area, but they were taped up and were not believed to have been opened since they were packed, according to Pence’s attorney. Once the classified documents were discovered, the sources said they were placed inside a safe located in the house. Pence’s Washington, DC, advocacy group office was also searched, Pence’s lawyer said, and no classified material or other records covered by the Presidential Records Act was discovered.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics ... index.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Classified documents found at Mike Pence's Indiana home.

sikacz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm At this point I’ve come to the conclusion every politician ignores security issue. Those are for the other people.
Yup it's not just Republicans or just Democrats, they both have a problem with classified documents. Wonder if Obama, W, Cheney, Clinton and Gore will voluntarily ask for searches.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:05 pm
sikacz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm At this point I’ve come to the conclusion every politician ignores security issue. Those are for the other people.
Yup it's not just Republicans or just Democrats, they both have a problem with classified documents. Wonder if Obama, W, Cheney, Clinton and Gore will voluntarily ask for searches.
Bet they all have some keepsakes.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I would bet the case with both Biden and Pence is a simple, You are out of office, so get the heck out of the building, so the new guy can move in. They don't pack anything, that is left to the aides and lower level workers and finally the guys that box everything and move it. Maybe the ads and movers assume, (we all now what happens when you assume), that all sensitive documents have already been removed to another location. So they pack everything and go.

In the case of TOS he was probably already hoarding the top secret documents that he cherished and want to hold and fondle at Maraloco.

I said before that all documents should be taken under the responsibility of the National Archives during the transition. Let them catalog all the documents and then copies can be released as requested by the former officeholders as needed as long as they don't have a security classification.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

We have a systemic issue with White House & legislative branch classified document control here.

We also have rules for thee and not for me.

I have a security clearance and if I had classified documents at my house it’s a trip to the big house.

A guy at my installation had classified & got a year in prison. What do B you want to bet that neither Biden, Pence or Mar-a-Lardo never even get charged ….

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdoh/pr/f ... classified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a very interesting article about Biden, TOS and Pence in regards to classified documents by Peter Strzok . 26 year FBI and Army veteran. Georgetown School of Foreign Service adjunct professor and alum. NYT/WP bestseller: Compromised

For a bonus he also covers the leak in the SCOTUS.

https://petestrzok.substack.com/p/all- ... ified-docs
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Ultimately, it’s why I think when it comes to the decision of whether to charge Trump, the material recovered from his office and safe, not the material returned to the Archives or in the Mar-a-Lago basement, will be the most relevant. It’s the material he self-selected to keep with him on a continuing day-to-day basis, even after repeated warnings he needed to return it.
YES, Vice Presidents have the authority to declassify information. In accordance with the current guidelines governing classified information, Executive Order 13526, Vice Presidents are specified original classification authorities and therefore have the ability to declassify information. There is some ambiguity as to whether the Vice President is “a supervisory official of either the originator or his or her successor in function” when it comes to the US Intelligence Community. Under a previous EO, then-Vice President Dick Cheney clearly was intended to exercise such authority.
Good analysis by Peter Strzok (pronounced struck) and that's probably just how prosecutors will view it, but this has become very politically charged and partisans on both sides have confused facts with their hatred of the officials who had these documents.

As a reminder, Strzok was fired by the FBI after text messages revealed his affair with Lisa Page an FBI lawyer and the content of their texts showed they were partisan favoring HRC and anti-Trump. Lisa Page was and Strzok were part of Mueller's investigation of 2016. They texted using FBI mobiles and records were subpoenaed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Strzok
https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/lis ... i-attorney

Mike Pence Takes 'Full Responsibility' For Classified Documents Found In His Home

MIAMI (AP) — Former Vice President Mike Pence said Friday that he takes “full responsibility” after classified documents were found at his Indiana home.

In his first public comments since the discovery, Pence said he hadn’t been aware that the documents were in his residence but acknowledged his lack of awareness wasn’t an excuse.

“Let me be clear: Those classified documents should not have been in my personal residence,” Pence said at Florida International University, where he was talking about the economy and promoting his new book, “So Help Me God.” “Mistakes were made, and I take full responsibility.”

The discovery made public by Pence’s team earlier this week marked the latest in a string of recoveries of sensitive papers from the homes of current and former top U.S. officials. The Department of Justice was already investigating the discovery of classified documents in former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort and at President Joe Biden’s home in Delaware and his former Washington office.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-pen ... 0c7e03bca7

This is a refreshing change from Biden and TOS's claims. A politician taking responsibility! :shock:

The F.B.I. found one classified document after searching the Indiana home of former Vice President Mike Pence for five hours on Friday, an adviser to Mr. Pence said. Mr. Pence and his aides had agreed to the search after they discovered a small number of classified documents there last month. The search, which the adviser described as “thorough and unrestricted,” also yielded six additional pages without such markings. “The vice president has directed his legal team to continue its cooperation with appropriate authorities and to be fully transparent through the conclusion of this matter,” Mr. Pence’s adviser, Devin O’Malley, added.
Mr. Pence’s aides have also emphasized cooperation. Last month, Mr. Jacob disclosed that a “small number of documents” with classified markings had been “inadvertently boxed and transported” to Mr. Pence’s home in Indiana during the waning days of the Trump administration. “Vice President Pence immediately secured those documents in a locked safe pending further direction on proper handling from the National Archives,” Mr. Jacob wrote.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/10/us/p ... earch.html