Re: New for 2023...380acp guns

The RIA LI380 looks interesting, it's 8 rounds with a metal frame and slide. The weight is showing as 3.5 lbs that's 56 ozs, which is more than a full size CZ at 35 ozs and a Walther PPK/s at 23 ozs. Seems really heavy for a 380 concealed carry pistol. It has to be a typo.
https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/li380

The new Ruger Security 380 looks interesting.
https://ruger.com/products/security380/models.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:36 am The RIA LI380 looks interesting, it's 8 rounds with a metal frame and slide. The weight is showing as 3.5 lbs that's 56 ozs, which is more than a full size CZ at 35 ozs and a Walther PPK/s at 23 ozs. Seems really heavy for a 380 concealed carry pistol. It has to be a typo.
https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/li380

The new Ruger Security 380 looks interesting.
https://ruger.com/products/security380/models.html
I like that new Ruger. Looks like the Max-9. Maybe my wife will gimmie back my Max-9 if I get her that one. She dislikes the LCP. Too snappy. I finally got her to start packing to work.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

The Bersa and Firestorm are made in Argentina in the Buenos Aires area.
All our guns are sold with a lifetime warranty and we will get yours back as good as new.
https://www.bersa.com/categories/pistols

The frame is aluminum alloy, the slide and barrel are steel, 20 oz. I have the Firestorm, bought it many years ago for low $200. new. I prefer the black and rounded trigger guard as opposed to the Thunder. Years ago I took mine in for a broken firing spring and the contract gun shop fixed it at no cost. It's a good little shooter, not a PPK, Beretta or CZ, but if it spent time in an evidence locker or was stolen, I could replace it. I bought extra mags from Bersa.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

jc57 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:52 pm Guess I have been ahead of the trend with my Bersa Thunder 380 that I have had for a decade or so.

That Armscor/RIA offering in the link in the second post looks to be a slight cosmetic variation on the Bersa Thunder. Which is not a bad thing, I love mine.
Me too with my Glock 42...small enough to conceal easily, not the 'Little Crappy Pistol' of the LCP...mine has a +2 mag..so 8+1..

For right below...OK, BUT I owned a LCP, V2 of Gen 1 and a crappier shooting pistol I have not owned. Reliable, way small, PITA to shoot.

Have ya shot a Glock 42? Didn't think so... :hmmm:
Last edited by F4FEver on Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:56 pm The proper caliber for mouse guns is .32 ACP!

My “pocket gun” collection - the only one I carry for realz is the J-Frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that you mention it. The small gun shop down the street has 2 Zastava M70's in .32 cal. Ones cleaner looking for $289, comes with the box and 2 mags. The other more warn one comes with a box and one mag for $199. Seems doable.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:56 pm The proper caliber for mouse guns is .32 ACP!

Now that you mention it. The small gun shop down the street has 2 Zastava M70's in .32 cal. Ones cleaner looking for $289, comes with the box and 2 mags. The other more warn one comes with a box and one mag for $199. Seems doable.
I’d snap the one up for 189 in a heartbeat. I’m also finding .32 ammo out in the wild for decent prices now. If you get a .32 make sure you stock up.

highdesert wrote:Thanks for the lower right, it looked familiar but I didn't think of Zastava. At 25 oz with a steel frame, it's the weight of some 380s and 9 mms like a Walther PP. I assume it's a gentle shooter.
Yeah - it’s a pussycat. One of the funnest guns I own. The almost non-existent recoil makes it super accurate for me.

If you would have told me I would be collecting inexpensive, .32s ten years ago I would have looked at you like an alien from another world. Totally impractical firearms, and that’s part of why I enjoy them.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:24 pm
tonguengroover wrote:

I’d snap the one up for 189 in a heartbeat. I’m also finding .32 ammo out in the wild for decent prices now. If you get a .32 make sure you stock up.

Thinking hard about it. The action is smoother on the cheaper one. They have several boxes of ammo.
Wish it was not through an FFL. Could use a throw away.

New for 2023...380acp guns

tonguengroover wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:24 pm
tonguengroover wrote:

Thinking hard about it. The action is smoother on the cheaper one. They have several boxes of ammo.
Wish it was not through an FFL. Could use a throw away.
These cz 83s are on sale ($50 off) so I ordered one in “excellent” condition for $349 & free shipping. I’ve been on the hunt for one of these in .32 and a .32 ACP beretta 81 for quite sometime now. Need to complete my collection of surplus .32s .. lol. The whole collection will come in well under one nice 1911 lol.

https://max-arms.com/product/cz-83-32acp/

I bought my 380 CZ 83 years ago new, a closeout for $350.00. The 380 is 12 rounds, the 32 is 16 rounds. The ad looks like a CZ 82, the 82 has the rounded trigger guard, my 83 has the squared tactical trigger guard. I think most of the 82s sold here were in 9X18 Makarov, former Czech military and police pistols, a lot of guys bought them for concealed carry. Saw a pic somewhere of an Israeli gun class and one of the guys had an 82. I'm also a believer in 32 ACP, I own two.

highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:56 pm I bought my 380 CZ 83 years ago new, a closeout for $350.00. The 380 is 12 rounds, the 32 is 16 rounds. The ad looks like a CZ 82, the 82 has the rounded trigger guard, my 83 has the squared tactical trigger guard. I think most of the 82s sold here were in 9X18 Makarov, former Czech military and police pistols, a lot of guys bought them for concealed carry. Saw a pic somewhere of an Israeli gun class and one of the guys had an 82. I'm also a believer in 32 ACP, I own two.
I love my Russian Makarov .380, which i got in the late '90s for well under 200 clams, and I want to give it some range time-- even given the arthritis in my hands. Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys know about some of the low recoil .380 ammo? Anyone use it, or know a source for information on speed, penetration, and ft/lbs of energy? And have you seen any available? It looks like Hydra-Shok Low Recoil is super hard to find.

Geez, I think the Taurus 942 double deuce that's heading my way from Kentucky weighs about 25 ounces, same as the Mak.

That is a sweet-looking CZ, though I know nothing about them. I'm kinda infatuated with cheap pistols, and also a bit of a Glock hater.

SunRiseWest wrote:
highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:56 pm I bought my 380 CZ 83 years ago new, a closeout for $350.00. The 380 is 12 rounds, the 32 is 16 rounds. The ad looks like a CZ 82, the 82 has the rounded trigger guard, my 83 has the squared tactical trigger guard. I think most of the 82s sold here were in 9X18 Makarov, former Czech military and police pistols, a lot of guys bought them for concealed carry. Saw a pic somewhere of an Israeli gun class and one of the guys had an 82. I'm also a believer in 32 ACP, I own two.
I love my Russian Makarov .380, which i got in the late '90s for well under 200 clams, and I want to give it some range time-- even given the arthritis in my hands. Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys know about some of the low recoil .380 ammo? Anyone use it, or know a source for information on speed, penetration, and ft/lbs of energy? And have you seen any available? It looks like Hydra-Shok Low Recoil is super hard to find.

Geez, I think the Taurus 942 double deuce that's heading my way from Kentucky weighs about 25 ounces, same as the Mak.

That is a sweet-looking CZ, though I know nothing about them. I'm kinda infatuated with cheap pistols, and also a bit of a Glock hater.
I think the problem with .380s is they are always trying to make them smaller and lighter for the CCW market. In a decent sized, steel framed pistol they are probably a joy to shoot. I wouldn’t know as mine is 11 oz!, and everyone one I’ve ever shot has been holdout, lightweight pocket type, guns. My problem is I’m infatuated with both inexpensive and expensive pistols!

My X-wife’s step-father had a Russian makarov in 9x18 and I found that much nicer to shoot. I think I’d rather get into 9X18 caliber over .380; but I’m weird like that.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:07 pm
SunRiseWest wrote:

I think the problem with .380s is they are always trying to make them smaller and lighter for the CCW market. In a decent sized, steel framed pistol they are probably a joy to shoot. I wouldn’t know as mine is 11 oz!, and everyone one I’ve ever shot has been holdout, lightweight pocket type, guns. My problem is I’m infatuated with both inexpensive and expensive pistols!

My X-wife’s step-father had a Russian makarov in 9x18 and I found that much nicer to shoot. I think I’d rather get into 9X18 caliber over .380; but I’m weird like that.

Needn't be steel to be a great shooting gun. My G42 is a joy to shoot, and 100% reliable. But yup, the initial trend was to make this '9mm-light' into t teeny pocket gun..and the result was some really small guns that suck to shoot(my LCP was just that, sold it). I'd like to see a G42X...but my G42 with a +2 mag and hogue grip is 'about' the same grip size as my G48, length and width.

Well F4F, try a Walther PPK/PPKs and I think you'll change your attitude but I agree with needn't be steel. Steel is better for less recoil though.
Plus you sound like my wife who hates my Little Shitty Pistol.
Little Pocket pistols are great and the 42 is not near as concealable as the LCP.

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:31 pm Well F4F, try a Walther PPK/PPKs and I think you'll change your attitude but I agree with needn't be steel. Steel is better for less recoil though.
Plus you sound like my wife who hates my Little Shitty Pistol.
Little Pocket pistols are great and the 42 is not near as concealable as the LCP.
No need, but thanks. No hammer fired, no external safeties, thanks.
My G42 is a joy to shoot, as I mentioned. Yes steel is obviously better for recoil but in spite of a gooned up RH thumb, arthritic RH wrist and goobered up RH ring
finger(trigger finger-DOH!)..the G42 is lots of FTS(FunToShoot). ALSO, Not gonna carry ANY gun with an external safety.
Yup, my LCP was 11 ounces and way easy to conceal but my G42 is also. DeSantis slimtuck(IWB) or MiniScabbard(owb) and I can wear the G42 all day w/o issue.

PLUS, ALL my guns HAVE to be FTS. If they aren't, they go. In spite of 'carry', my guns get shot, a lot. So FTS is right up there with the top reasons to have any gun.

Why I got rid of my Ruger LC-9, Glock 43, S&W 642, Glock 26.
Why I'm gonna keep my G42, G48, G17...and a few revolvers(SAO Uberti, S&W 686+, Ruger Wrangler)

Maybe have your wife try a G42..and then only you will be the 'neverGlock' of the family.

I used to be anti-Glock but I have to admit Gaston's Wonder is very popular because they're light and they work reliably. SIGs, HKs and CZs are beautiful looking guns, Glocks aren't but they do the job. Of course Gaston and his company have done an excellent job marketing them, they're as prolific in TV and movies as Apple's iPhones. Personally I like hammer fired pistols DA/SA, but I have a few striker fired ones.

People have different likes and dislikes in firearms like anything else. People come in different sizes and shapes plus physical limitations can impact what they carry, along with winter and summer seasons.

highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:20 am I used to be anti-Glock but I have to admit Gaston's Wonder is very popular because they're light and they work reliably. SIGs, HKs and CZs are beautiful looking guns, Glocks aren't but they do the job. Of course Gaston and his company have done an excellent job marketing them, they're as prolific in TV and movies as Apple's iPhones. Personally I like hammer fired pistols DA/SA, but I have a few striker fired ones.

People have different likes and dislikes in firearms like anything else. People come in different sizes and shapes plus physical limitations can impact what they carry, along with winter and summer seasons.
Yup, take a look at some YT videos of ShotShow2023..More than one guy calls today's gun market, the best time to buy a gun, variety wise. Hundreds of models.

BUT, I saw one guy...was asked if all the guns went away and you could have only one...The gent asked, 'Glock 19?'.

'Never any Glock', 'why not'...'they are the tupperware of guns'...huh? In other words, like any good tool, they are reliable but 'ugly'? Never have understood this for a gun that 'may' be used for defense. I think reliability, with ANY ammo type or brand, should be number 1. "Great gun but gotta use putnameofammohere, I think that is BS.
Tools not trophies..I think trophy guns have their place but for defense, home or personal...GOTTA be reliable..then 'fun to shoot'...so you shoot it often, to get good with it and ensure it's reliable.

Many fill this role, not just Glock but for simple, reliable, consistent, not expensive..well.......