Re: Shooting in LA

Ooooh sh*t, the media might go on a holiday with this…. a Cobray!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/obscu ... -9-pistol/

But it indicates the old codger wasn’t just one who bought a gun because of anti-Asian sentiments during Covid. He was a collector. A firearms enthusiasts of sort.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:59 pm
Buck13 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:26 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:35 pm the Sheriff said that firearm taken from him was an "assault pistol", not assault rifle with a large extended mag.
Does that mean an AR pistol, or just a Glock with a 33 round mag?

Ah, a Cobray M11, according to CNN. Lovely.

Not that it matters, much.
That is legally defined as an assault handgun in CA. Probably just a handgun most other places.
Just looked it up. Here's the headline from the review in "The Truth About Guns":

"Spoiler alert, this isn’t a good gun. It’s not a useful gun. Hell, it’s not even really that historic. The Cobray M11/9 could best be described as one of the most useless handguns in existence."

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/obscu ... -9-pistol/

Well, if the article's right, and the purpose of the gun is only to piss people off, looks like it sure succeeded. Pity the damn thing didn't jam.

The investigation into a mass shooting in Monterey Park is focused on the gunman’s prior interactions at two dance studios he targeted and whether jealousy over a relationship was the motive, law enforcement sources said. The sources stressed that the investigation is in its early stages. But detectives believe that 72-year-old Huu Can Tran had frequented the clubs — the Star Ballroom Dance Studio in Monterey Park and the Lai Lai Ballroom and Studio in Alhambra — and that the shooting might have been sparked by a personal dispute. They also believe Tran was having unspecified emotional problems that had been getting worse in the weeks before the shooting.

He showed up at the Hemet Police Department lobby twice this month, on Jan. 7 and 9, making allegations of fraud and theft and saying that his family had tried to poison him in the L.A. area 10 to 20 years ago, Hemet police spokesperson Alan Reyes said. Tran said he would come back with evidence but never returned, Reyes said. It will likely take weeks to unravel what happened. Detectives began serving search warrants at multiple locations Sunday. Tran had been living at the Lakes at Hemet West, a mobile home park whose sign billed it as “a 55+ active living community,” according to a public record and law enforcement sources. A security guard turned away a Times reporter at the front gate Sunday night.
About 20 minutes after the rampage in Monterey Park, the shooter walked into Lai Lai Ballroom and Studio in nearby Alhambra, officials said. “The suspect walked in there, probably with the intent to kill two more people,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said. A person inside the studio disarmed the gunman and he ran away. Brandon Tsay, 26, told ABC News during an interview Monday that he was in the lobby of his family’s dance studio when he heard the front door close and what he described as “the sound of a metal object clinking together.” He turned around and saw a man he did not recognize holding a gun. “My first thought was I was going to die here, this is it,” he told the station, adding that the man appeared to be scanning the room “looking for targets.” Tsay lunged at him and grabbed the weapon. Security camera footage showed the two men struggling for the gun. Eventually, Tsay was able to pull the firearm away from the man. He aimed it. “Get the hell out of here. I’ll shoot,” Tsay recalled yelling.
The weapon, a 9-millimeter Cobray M11, provided law enforcement with the first clues to the gunman’s identity. Authorities were able to link the gun, which was used with an extended magazine and is illegal in California, to Tran. Paired with security footage, the information allowed them to launch a manhunt, according to a law enforcement source.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... k-shooting

Hemet is 81 miles southeast of Monterey Park in Riverside County, it's semi rural.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:59 pm
Buck13 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:26 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:35 pm the Sheriff said that firearm taken from him was an "assault pistol", not assault rifle with a large extended mag.
Does that mean an AR pistol, or just a Glock with a 33 round mag?

Ah, a Cobray M11, according to CNN. Lovely.

Not that it matters, much.
That is legally defined as an assault handgun in CA. Probably just a handgun most other places.
It will be a banned assault weapon in WA in a few days or weeks. End of the legislative session in April at the latest.

Can't say I'll miss it. Looks like a nasty little thing.

OTOH, the Ruger MkIV 22/45 Lite will also be banned (threaded barrel) and that's too bad. Those are nice little plinkers.

edit: Sales will be banned, and I assume transfers. Possession is grandfathered, for now, so my wife can keep her Ruger.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I’ll be the one to say this…

Something is seriously the matter with old Asian men who may have lived all their lives believing some false idea of male dominance, having such fanciful idiocy repeatedly dashed by modern women, and suffering further abuses from racism against Asians in general, then getting their hands on a gun…
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:56 pm I’ll be the one to say this…

Something is seriously the matter with old Asian men who may have lived all their lives believing some false idea of male dominance, having such fanciful idiocy repeatedly dashed by modern women, and suffering further abuses from racism against Asians in general, then getting their hands on a gun…
Straight line to trump, during COVD...second hate directed at a 'group', along with Muslims, and blacks, and women......and various white supremacists members of congress...like eMpTy greene, now a daring of McCarthy, the worse speaker ever.

It was sickening watching the press conferences which should have been strictly law enforcement updates. The LA County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau was in charge of the investigation in partnership with the MP police dept, so the sheriff and police chief were rightfully there. But added to that were mayors, county supervisors, state legislators and members of Congress, all out to get some camera time so voters remember them come next election.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:46 pm Well, Newsom is now saying the 2A is becoming a suicide pact. So we can expect the very best and useful gun control efforts from the state. None of which would have prevented these shootings.
It's going to be tough for him, because the two recent shoots had both guns bought legally.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Bisbee wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:56 pm I’ll be the one to say this…

Patriarchy isn't just for Caucasians. Sadly. Bitter old man is a trope for a reason.

Interesting LA Times article about Asian males. I forgot about the May 2022 shooting at a Taiwanese church in Laguna Woods, California, the shooter there was David Wenwei Chou who was 68.
https://archive.ph/QlPTP

Not just white males, it cuts across cultures and not just the American one.

The Taiwanese Church shooter was stopped by another selfless act of individual heroism. The Good Samaritan, Dr. John Cheng, sacrificed himself by lunging at the shooter and knocking him down so other parishioners (all seniors!) could pile on top and disarm him. This particular shooting was also very sad for me, born in Taiwan, knowing my family members all look and sound like the vulnerable church-goers. I would often be one of the youngest people in the room (like John Cheng) at 50+! I would have to be the one that lunges at a shooter because no one else could and hope to survive.

It is unfortunate to admit that guns are one of the tools used by people to dominate others--especially men. When cultures like America and various Asian cultures also support the idea that men should dominate a family or a culture, then guns become something of a lightening rod. This is unfortunate, but it's a reality. I feel for Bisbee about this, and I feel for white American men who fall into that trap as well. Each one teach one not to fall into that trap.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

It all started in China around 850 C.E., when Chinese alchemists accidentally created gunpowder while trying to develop a "fountain of youth" potion. The resulting powder called huo yao, was a blend of charcoal, saltpeter and sulfur. They quickly learned the powder could be used in warfare. The then-reigning Song Dynasty is the first to have used gunpowder against the Mongols, whose constant invasions into the country plagued the Chinese throughout the period.

The Chinese attacked the Mongols with fire lances or "flying fire" — arrows fixed with tubes of gunpowder that, when ignited, would propel across enemy lines. More gunpowder-based weapons followed as the Chinese perfected a variety of weapons against the Mongols over the next centuries, including the first cannons and grenades. Gunpowder made its way to Europe in the 13th century, likely over the Silk Road trade routes through Central Asia. Rival nations refined gunpowder recipes in the ensuing centuries before arriving at the optimum mixture: approximately 75 percent saltpeter, 15 percent charcoal and 10 percent sulfur.
Historians generally consider the Chinese fire lance as the first gun. But before the 15th century, guns were tricky to fire — they required both hands and a burning wick to ignite the powder. Enter the invention of the lock, an internal firing mechanism that made shooting a hand-held firearm more efficient, easier and safer. The first was a matchlock, followed by a series of enhancements until we get something more akin to the guns we know today.
Guns slowly replaced old-guard weapons, because they were more economical, rather than more lethal. Lifelong devotion was required to become a highly skilled (and highly paid) swordsman or archer, but a few weeks or months of training could turn a lower-class soldier into a skilled gunner. Besides increasing the field of soldiers, guns have had far-reaching influence on the nature of armed combat, from the distances at which dueling armies engage one another to the types of wounds soldiers incur. Only the horse — which dominated battlefields for millennia — has proven more important than the gun.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/innov ... st-gun.htm

Firearms were first used for defense against external enemies, then rulers saw how they could be used to control their subjects. Males were physically stronger than females and were not burdened with pregnancy, so they dominated societies and cultures. And religion reinforced male dominance and even the rare female rulers reinforced it.