An argument for sane ways to transport one's firearms

Dateline Sumner County, Kansas. A dog in the back seat of a pickup truck stepped on a gun, causing it to discharge and shoot a guy sitting in the front passenger seat in the back. The guy died.

I don't know whether the dog was traumatized. The gun might have been a hunting rifle. I can't imagine having a rifle in the cab of a truck I'm occupying that isn't, A) cleared, or B) CAREFULLY staged, or C) in a case such that the trigger couldn't be activated by a dog stepping on it.

I also don't know whether the person who was responsible for the decisions outlined in my ABC was the one who died. If so, it's a stiff penalty. If not, well, damn.

https://www.21alivenews.com/2023/01/25/ ... LDhf9klukA
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: An argument for sane ways to transport one's firearms

DougB1946 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:36 pm I never had a problem carrying a shotgun or rifle unloaded and in the trunk in a case., especially after seeing the large hole in the backdoor of a car that appears after tossing a loaded shotgun into the rear seat. My dads uncle used to enjoy road hunting.
Yeah, that's the ticket. There is absolutely no reason to carry a loaded and cocked rifle in the back seat where your dog is jumping around. Most unfortunate, but so it goes. Road hunting is unethical, and it's illegal in many states, including California.

If you have to carry a loaded and cocked weapon in your car, it had best be on your person. How hard is that?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

highdesert wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:48 am Stupid gun owners deserve to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It's just like drinking and driving, a loaded unsecured weapon is a danger to everyone.
Yes, but..........Too many instances, which results in a gun going off, but nobody shot, results in a 'stern talking to' from the sheriff..."c'mon bubba, that weren't nun too smart, now was it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSvl_vERPZM

The mutt (the man, not the dog) had a truck. Why didn't he have a gun rack in it, and the gun in it?
When I bought my first pickup back in 1990, a 4x4 Isuzu extended cab, my NYC/NJ bred MIL asked my wife "Why does he need a pickup?" (my FIL every 2 years would get a fancy "old man's" car like a Towncar) I told my wife to tell her mother "So he has a place to put the gun rack!" Wisely, she didn't tell her mom that.....
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."