Re: Shooting in LA

A lot of people were out for the Lunar New Year celebration. LA County Sheriff's Dept is investigating, latest reports state shooter was male but no description and he used a rifle. Gangs or drugs or both ?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'll be very surprised if this isn't another racist hate attack.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

This is the second mass shooting in a week in CA, five days ago there was a mass shooting in Goshen, next to Visalia in the Central Valley. In that shooting 6 people were killed including a 10 month old baby, the mother and child were shot in the forehead. The Tulare County sheriff suspects a cartel killing but it's drug related.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... y-killings
https://archive.ph/nXMAY

Alhambra is a city just north of Monterey Park.
Law enforcement were also on scene Sunday morning in Alhambra at the Lai Lai Ballroom & Studio in the 100 block of South Garfield Avenue, about two miles north of the Monterey Park shooting. It was not clear if the police activity at that site was the incident referenced by Meyer [LASD captain in charge].
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... s-shooting
According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s department, there are approximately 20,000 Asian gang members in Los Angeles County. Based on a survey conducted by Streetgangs.com in 2009, we have estimated that number to be substantially smaller, between 9,000 and 12,000 members county wide. We found that many of the gangs that the County regards as active have become defunct as members have matured out the gang, and other gangs were just much smaller than originally estimated.

We also found that Asian gangs that are identified as being affiliated with Hispanic and Black gang structures (i.e. Bloods, Crips or Surenos) are included in the tallies of those gangs, while also being identified a second time in the Asian category. Most Asian gangs are composed of several independent identities that are mostly either Chinese, Filipino, Cambodian or Vietnamese.

In Monterey Park, is where several Chinese gangs have formed which mostly included different “sides” of Wah Ching, a gang that has its roots in San Francisco. In Long Beach several Cambodian gangs are active including the Tiny Rascals Gang (TRG), Asian Boyz (ABZ), & Crazy Brothers Clan (CBC).
https://www.streetgangs.com/asian/

So much for all of California's gun control laws that the legislature and governor says make residents safer. Criminals will always get guns and even fully auto ones, which witnesses have said is what the perp used here.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I reiterate - until humanity ceases to exist is when this problem will be resolved. Make laws, ban guns, restrict ownership, do whatever - human nature will prevail in all it's stupidity until no more. We all know responsible gun owners are not the problem, albeit sometimes they also fail - to err is human, as is blaming someone or something else for gun problems.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

There is a press conference going on now, not much new. The victims are 5 female and 5 male. LA County has 88 cities but only about 5 cities have homicide units including LAPD, for the other cities like Monterey Park, the LA Sheriff's Dept homicide unit does the investigations. LA County has about 25% of the population of CA, which is close to 40 million.

They didn't say if the Monterey Park and Alhambra shootings are connected. The Alhambra shooting didn't involve an ASW. The LA County Sheriff didn't answer a question about the caliber of the weapon used in the Monterey Park shooting.

Waking up to details of this shooting which hits very, very close to home. I’ll share more on this later.

But details of this developing case are as follows:
The mass shooting happened at Star Ballroom in MP with at least ten people killed and double that injured. 20 minutes later an Asian male walked into another dance studio, Lai Lai Ballroom (about 3 miles away and caters to the same Asian demographic) with a handgun. He was disarmed by the patrons upon seeing him enter. Nobody was injured at the second location.

I was actually dancing at another ballroom at another part of town when this happened… and no, I did not go there strapped. I have been to Star Ballroom for Tango events on many, many occasions and know the owners, a Chinese couple, who are almost always there working hard for each event for many decades now. I am truly feeling terrible this morning.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Is that your suspicion? That may turn out to be the case.

Anyway, a potential suspect in white van has been stopped in the city of Torrance, 30
Miles southwest of Monterey Park. Currently in standoff with police. No movement from the driver inside the white van.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/los-an ... 064d34f49d
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

LASD has a picture of the shooter.
https://twitter.com/LACoSheriff/status/ ... 6710962178

LASD tracked a white van, SWAT boxed in the vehicle in Torrance and approached. One person inside dead due to self inflicted gunshot wound reported in link.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/ap-pol ... area-city/

Slow news cycle, even the BBC is following it. They have video.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-64365251

CD must have a crystal ball…. Everything is playing out pretty much as he described.

Tragic for the families and the community, supposed to be a happy weekend with Lunar New Year. LA County Sheriff Robert Luna is new, he was formerly police chief in Long Beach, CA. Waiting confirmation from the Sheriff if it's over.

This situation is totally FUBAR. It’s likely that a jealous husband (in an unhappy marriage, in a culture that doesn’t easily allow for divorce) influenced by a culture of toxic masculinity, suddenly snaps and basically ruined a social celebration -not just within the Chinese American dance community but- for the entire Chinese New Year festivities planned for Monterey Park, one of the largest Asian Pacific Islander populations in America. This is not just about a loss for Chinese people anymore but has affected all those who would have come to participate in celebrations from all over LA. Goddamned pebble has spread waves of unintended consequences to affect the whole community. Unlike the Las Vegas shooter who clearly entended to send a message of self-importance to the nation, this little fecker probably just wanted to his wife and her friends dead because he felt personally disrespected.

Glad you're safe Bisbee. Some people thought the gun shots were firecrackers going off.
Dance instructor David DuVal taught at the studio, most recently samba and tango on Thursday morning. He said the studio has Saturday night parties and that a lot of people who attend are older. “60s would be young.” “There’s definitely going to be people in their 70s, 80s, people in their 90s,” he said. “A lot of people I teach are older people. I have a feeling it could be one of them or people I know.”
DuVal said there are couples who have been going there for a decade or more, many who are retired; some are in their 90s “and still dancing.” “It’s old people dancing to music for fun. It’s their exercise,” he said.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -shooting#

When I saw that shooting on La Brea, I thought it was a car backfiring at first. It took a moment to process. I wasn't really familiar with the sound of gunfire at the time.

Now that I am, it still took me a moment to process a balloon popping in a biergarten. I don't think anyone should put too much reliance on training to a specific standard of reaction time for signal-draw-shoot. The first two steps in the OODA loop are Observe and Orient. It take longer than you think.

Bisbee wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:57 pm CD must have a crystal ball…. Everything is playing out pretty much as he described.
I happened to catch a live feed and a woman was talking to another saying that. When a culture does not allow marriages to break up peacefully, this is one result. It is too bad men feel this is an option. Almost never will a woman seek this kind of thing. May peace be upon the survivors and the families.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Last press conference of the day. Sheriff Luna said the shooter's name is Huu Can Tran,
he was 72 yrs old. They found a handgun in the white van where he was found dead. At the Alhambra location where he went first, he was disarmed by someone there and the Sheriff said that firearm taken from him was an "assault pistol", not assault rifle with a large extended mag.

He said they don't know the motive at this time.

So sorry, Bisbee. This hits me hard, too, though not quite as close to home-- happened about 20 minutes from my house, 15 minutes from the LGS for the RR, and 12 minutes from my Monday AA meeting. Definitely a shitty way to wake up this morning, was the first news story I saw.

Man, 72 years old. Thinking about this haunts me-- that someone could make it that far in life, and then screw up everything at the 11th (or 10th) hour.

highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:59 am A lot of people were out for the Lunar New Year celebration. LA County Sheriff's Dept is investigating, latest reports state shooter was male but no description and he used a rifle. Gangs or drugs or both ?
Or neither.
We all know responsible gun owners are not the problem, albeit sometimes they also fail - to err is human, as is blaming someone or something else for gun problems.
Unfortunately, too many gun owners are NOT responsible....Turns out the shooter WAS a gun owner, a legal one??
Jealous guy takes out his gun...

Bisbee wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:02 pm Waking up to details of this shooting which hits very, very close to home. I’ll share more on this later.

But details of this developing case are as follows:
The mass shooting happened at Star Ballroom in MP with at least ten people killed and double that injured. 20 minutes later an Asian male walked into another dance studio, Lai Lai Ballroom (about 3 miles away and caters to the same Asian demographic) with a handgun. He was disarmed by the patrons upon seeing him enter. Nobody was injured at the second location.

I was actually dancing at another ballroom at another part of town when this happened… and no, I did not go there strapped. I have been to Star Ballroom for Tango events on many, many occasions and know the owners, a Chinese couple, who are almost always there working hard for each event for many decades now. I am truly feeling terrible this morning.
Holy Moley! This is too close! My sincere condolences.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:35 pm the Sheriff said that firearm taken from him was an "assault pistol", not assault rifle with a large extended mag.
Does that mean an AR pistol, or just a Glock with a 33 round mag?

Ah, a Cobray M11, according to CNN. Lovely.

Not that it matters, much.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:26 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:35 pm the Sheriff said that firearm taken from him was an "assault pistol", not assault rifle with a large extended mag.
Does that mean an AR pistol, or just a Glock with a 33 round mag?

Ah, a Cobray M11, according to CNN. Lovely.

Not that it matters, much.
That is legally defined as an assault handgun in CA. Probably just a handgun most other places.