"REAL ID enforcement is delayed again to 2025"

More than 14 years after the original deadline, the enforcement of REAL ID-compliant driver's licenses or IDs has been pushed back once again. The Transportation Security Administration and other federal agencies were expected to only accept the nationally approved IDs starting May 3, 2023. But on Monday, the Department of Homeland Security announced that the deadline would be extended until May 7, 2025. The federal agency said that state motor vehicle departments need more time to comb through the backlog of applications created by the pandemic. But the virus is only the latest cause for delay in the yearslong effort to implement stricter forms of identification. "This extension will give states needed time to ensure their residents can obtain a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card," Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in a press statement.

REAL ID-compliant licenses or IDs will be required for people 18 years old and older to fly anywhere within the U.S., enter nuclear power plants and access some federal facilities like military bases.To get one, a person typically will need to show proof of their full legal name, date of birth, Social Security number, two proofs of residence and lawful status. Some states including Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, New York and Vermont have also created their own enhanced driver's licenses that meet federal standards. Nationally approved IDs can be generally identified by a star in the upper-right corner. The REAL ID Act was passed by Congress in 2005 following the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001. At the time, the 9/11 Commission found that it was too easy for people to obtain driver's licenses. The group called for ID requirements to be raised and nationally standardized.

The law was originally scheduled to be enforced in 2008, but several states have resisted compliance over the years on the basis of cost or privacy issues. It wasn't until 2020 that all 50 states including the District of Columbia began issuing REAL ID-compliant licenses and IDs. All U.S. territories except for American Samoa are also complying. As of 2021, only 43% of all state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards are considered REAL ID-compliant, according to DHS. Others have raise concerns about the law's impact on immigrants, particularly those who are not authorized to live in the U.S. "DMV agents will have to make complicated judgments about a person's lawful status in the Untied States," the New York Civil Liberties Union wrote in a 2007 statement, before the original deadline for compliance.
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/05/11407783 ... on-privacy
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "REAL ID enforcement is delayed again to 2025"

I finally got my Real ID last spring (I think...), only to have to go through the change of address process a few months later.

Happily, the apparent backlog in Kentucky isn't as bad as what it seems the national average is, which I suspect says something about the typical resident of Kentucky.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Much like renaming Monkeypox, the Real ID just makes me feel SO much safer. Goodness gracious, why would anyone resist or complain about such a valuable tool for catching and waterboarding all those nasty terrorists, who Lord Trump's loyal followers are so unjustly compared to?

This is how progress works. They lied to us on television, so they invented the Internet, where everything you hear is true!

Okay, let's consider the most extreme, improbable situation: Someone figures out how to forge a Real ID. Not possible, ever, in any credible reality-- why, it's as ridiculous as... I don't know, some weird kind of printer that could print guns or something-- but just play along with me for a moment for the sake of argument. If that ever happened, we could just create a Real Real ID, or a Realer ID, or a Way More Real ID, and problem solved!

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:59 pm I got one cus my drivers license was going to expire.
Not any worse than getting a passport which I already have
A CCW is a worse invasion of privacy IMO
More of a pain in the Ass to get a real I’d than getting a passport or concealed carry permit. I have both of those. My wife has her passport and my children have their passports.

The utility bill/bank account requirement is a real burden to people using PO Boxes, minors, and married couples. The consequence of the law is that it makes it harder for minorities and the poor to get identification.

I suspect democrats won’t care about the burden it places on the poor and minorities until republicans require a real ID to vote.

Leucoandro wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:19 am
tonguengroover wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:59 pm I got one cus my drivers license was going to expire.
Not any worse than getting a passport which I already have
A CCW is a worse invasion of privacy IMO
More of a pain in the Ass to get a real I’d than getting a passport or concealed carry permit. I have both of those. My wife has her passport and my children have their passports.

The utility bill/bank account requirement is a real burden to people using PO Boxes, minors, and married couples. The consequence of the law is that it makes it harder for minorities and the poor to get identification.

I suspect democrats won’t care about the burden it places on the poor and minorities until republicans require a real ID to vote.
Agree this is something that will hit the people who can least afford it or have difficulty filling the requirements.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Leucoandro wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:19 am More of a pain in the Ass to get a real I’d than getting a passport or concealed carry permit. I have both of those. My wife has her passport and my children have their passports.

Those are things I hadn't thought of. I guess I kind of got grandfathered in when Texas implemented it because they never asked me for additional information like utility bills, but I think at the time I didn't even have any because I was living in an RV park. My bank account had my PO Box address on it at the time.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

AZ has better options than some states I guess. Perhaps it's why it got delayed because some states don't.

Required Documents List
Categories of identification documents are listed below with examples of qualifying documents.
Bring One Document: Proof of Identity (Birth certificate; U.S. Passport; Passport Card)
If you need a certified copy of an Arizona birth certificate, the Arizona Department of Health Services now accepts online orders(link is external) with expedited processing.
Social Security Number (No document is needed, though you will need to provide your complete Social Security number.)
To order a replacement Social Security card visit the Social Security Administration website(link is external) and establish an account.
Bring Two Documents: Proof of Arizona Residency– two printed documents with your current Arizona residential address (Utility bills; Credit Card / Bank statements; insurance policy)
Note: If your current legal name is different from the one shown on a document, you must show legal proof of name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.
Those who don’t have the required residency documents must complete an Arizona Residency Affidavit(link is external) and supply additional proof of residency.
https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/driver ... quirements

Then there's the residency Affidavit. https://apps.azdot.gov/files/mvd/mvd-fo ... 0-5143.pdf

For a passport you need Personal documents a photo ID doc, which probably means a drivers license - You’ll need to bring all of the following:
An original proof of citizenship document
An acceptable photo ID document
A photocopy of the front and back of the citizenship document and photo ID document
Passport photo - Follow the photo requirements.
Payment - Calculate your passport fees.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

My CA driving license was expiring in 2019 and I hate carrying my passport unless I'm going outside the US, so I decided to get the Real ID. I had to make additional trips to the DMV, because CA at first incorrectly interpreted DHS regs and an additional document was required. I'm glad I got it.

As I mentioned on another thread, Americans aren't likely to go for a national ID card like other countries. In other countries a national ID card is real ID because many people don't drive like we do in the US. And what federal agency would issue a national ID, Border Patrol, Passport Agency, IRS, FBI...most of our day to day interactions are with our state and local governments, so a state driving license or state ID card are the most common documents to enhance.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The Passport Card is a form of "REAL ID" that passes muster, for those who do get passports. Some time ago, for a job, I had to do some work for the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). To get into the facility, I had to present a "REAL ID" compliant identification. My driver's license is not REAL ID-compliant, and the security guards informed me as such. So, I presented my Passport Card, and bingo, I was in. Turns out to be pretty handy.

Personally, I don't have a problem with REAL ID, given that state driver's licenses are generally used for proof of just about everything government.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:12 pm The Passport Card is a form of "REAL ID" that passes muster, for those who do get passports. Some time ago, for a job, I had to do some work for the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). To get into the facility, I had to present a "REAL ID" compliant identification. My driver's license is not REAL ID-compliant, and the security guards informed me as such. So, I presented my Passport Card, and bingo, I was in. Turns out to be pretty handy.

Personally, I don't have a problem with REAL ID, given that state driver's licenses are generally used for proof of just about everything government.
I think the writing is on the wall and REAL ID needs to happen. The issue to me is how do we get it for everyone without cost.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

It took me almost a full day to get my new driver's license / RealID, along with getting quite irked at at a clueless DMV clerk...

Showed up with ALL the documentation required (per the DMV web page on RealID), only to be told that my State Dept. form reporting my birth abroad was not acceptable, and that I had to have an official State Dept. birth certificate; got back home, started to research it - found that that they had stopped issuing birth certificates for citizens born abroad over 5 years before, and the form I had was legally equivalent to a birth certificate for all purposes... I then shot off emails to every elected official (State & Federal) who "represent" me, pointing out the absurdity of a DMV clerk arbitrarily making her own document requirements. I also pointed out that the paperwork I provided was perfectly adequate for my clearance investigation (I had a DOE "Q"-level clearance for 15 years).

Within a half-hour, I had an email from the #2 honcho of the State DMV; it was a semi-boilerplate suggesting that I hadn't brought the required paperwork - I replied with a comprehensive list of what I was submitting, cross-referenced to the DMV web page... He didn't reply.

Went back to the DMV in the afternoon for a second try - got a different clerk who looked it all over, found no problems, and quickly gave me my new ID. I suspect that a phone call was made by the DMV honcho to my county's DMV office not long before I arrived the second time.

The only good part of the whole thing was that it was a one-shot affair; I won't have to go through it again when I renew in a few years.
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

sikacz wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:15 pm
CowboyT wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:12 pm The Passport Card is a form of "REAL ID" that passes muster, for those who do get passports. Some time ago, for a job, I had to do some work for the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). To get into the facility, I had to present a "REAL ID" compliant identification. My driver's license is not REAL ID-compliant, and the security guards informed me as such. So, I presented my Passport Card, and bingo, I was in. Turns out to be pretty handy.

I think the writing is on the wall and REAL ID needs to happen. The issue to me is how do we get it for everyone without cost.
Oh, that's easy. Make a state ID free of charge for the first one and any renewals, with a nominal fee for replacement (not renewal, I mean replacement) so you are less inclined to lose it. :-) The free renewal can happen up to a year from when your ID expires, so long as you present your previous one. If you want a driver's license, then you pay the existing driver's license fee to drive on public roads.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

If the feds goal is to have everyone carry REAL ID, then a REAL ID DL or ID card should be issued at no charge to everyone. If individuals opt for a regular DL or ID card then charge them a fee for it.

I have a passport card too that I use for quick trips to Mexico, my passport is in the safe.

Eris wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:21 pm
Heretic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:49 am (I had a DOE "Q"-level clearance for 15 years).
WE FOUND Q FOLKS!!!! :D
Nope - I'd have gotten bored before long; it's far too easy to keep stringing along the gullible....
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution