Re: Coffee- Home Roasting

Two one pound roast this morn, both medium dark - Ethiopian Yirg and other Guatemalan Antigua. Going thru about one pound weekly, mostly drip brewed. Mid 40's F this morning so made it thru both roast without having cool down time with air popper over heating.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:49 pm Two one pound roast this morn, both medium dark - Ethiopian Yirg and other Guatemalan Antigua. Going thru about one pound weekly, mostly drip brewed. Mid 40's F this morning so made it thru both roast without having cool down time with air popper over heating.
Two of my absolute FAVORITE coffees! I love other coffees but these two are my foundation!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

As mentioned in my post #15, I have a small Braun blade grinder, a Mr. Coffee and Capresso conical burr grinders. The Mr. Coffee timer doesn't work, making it a PITA to use as continually have to hit run button. I bought the Capresso unit in Dec. 2008 and it has seen a lot of beans and still going strong and absolutely no complaints. I do fill the bean holder to capacity and since I drink at least a 10-12 cup pot every morning, the beans don't have time to go stale. Roasted coffee is stored in airtight containers and transferred to grinder as needed.
I wanted to get a grinder to do small batch blends of the various beans I'm roasting. That's when I found out when I had bought the Capresso unit in 2008, which was a surprise how time slips away. I thought about buying another same model Capresso, but since this was for occasional use went with a cheaper brand (Boly flat burr grinder). It was problematic right out of the box and was inoperable after just four uses. It went back to Amazon. Then ordered an OXO conical burr and so far impressed. I will be more so, should it last as long as the Capresso (still good to go). The OXO has a metal grounds receiver which seems to limit the static cling as it fully empties when poring into drip filter.
Still using my hand operated grinders for my French press as both set at coarse. Should give the OXO a go to see if it will coarse grind as it says it will. I've never tried adjusting the Capresso grind and now that I realize it's age, probably won't try doing any adjustments for fear of screwing it up. LOL

Cheers and holiday greetings to all. Looks like SATX may get back into winter weather next week and end this spring like stuff going on now.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

That cowboy coffee sounds like a shitload of work when I can get perfect/perfect results with a pour-over, even a camping pour-over like this one.
I used to use it when I worked in an office. Made GREAT coffee if you did it right.
Coughlan's Coffee Maker.jpg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wino wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:49 pm Two one pound roast this morn, both medium dark - Ethiopian Yirg and other Guatemalan Antigua. Going thru about one pound weekly, mostly drip brewed. Mid 40's F this morning so made it thru both roast without having cool down time with air popper over heating.
Same roast this AM. Exception is weather a bit warmer than last and had a couple of cool down periods air roaster. Fortunately, quit just as roast started and didn't have to pick up in middle with half assed roasted beans to completing.

Need to do another batch of Maragogype and Costa Rica Terrazu.

Still living the life and enjoying my fresh coffee!!!! :beer2: :chef:

Wino wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 am
Same roast this AM. Exception is weather a bit warmer than last and had a couple of cool down periods air roaster. Fortunately, quit just as roast started and didn't have to pick up in middle with half assed roasted beans to completing.

Mail order?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:47 am
Wino wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 am

Mail order?
Amazon order bulk green beans from around the world. Found it easier than shuffling between many sites and price is either less or on par. I may not have a happy place in my heart for Bezos, but I do have for my wallet !! LOL

Wino wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:16 pm Amazon order bulk green beans from around the world. Found it easier than shuffling between many sites and price is either less or on par. I may not have a happy place in my heart for Bezos, but I do have for my wallet !! LOL
Try this site: https://www.roastmasters.com/green_coffee.html
I've been buying from them for years. I use Amazon for one thing; to find what I'm looking for and then find available somewhere else.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

tonguengroover wrote:Snow day. Chillin in the kitchen. Started some cold brew. Maybe finish my book.
If my wife came home to a kitchen island like that I’d be spending the night in the Camper …

But seriously, tho —- hot sauce, firearms, knives, coffee and books. All you need is some huevos con chorizos and you are good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:59 pm
tonguengroover wrote:Snow day. Chillin in the kitchen. Started some cold brew. Maybe finish my book.
If my wife came home to a kitchen island like that I’d be spending the night in the Camper …

But seriously, tho —- hot sauce, firearms, knives, coffee and books. All you need is some huevos con chorizos and you are good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually shared that with the wife an kids. Routine cleaning and sharpening. Since I tow those two guns around they needed a wipe down.

Hmmm yes chorizo an eggs. We usually do up a big breakfast on weekends. A new caneceria opened up v lose to us and is the bomb baby!
Today I made kodiak power waffles with a runny fried egg/sammich, butter and maple syrup. Trying to be healthy.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

geno wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:53 pm
Wino wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:16 pm Amazon order bulk green beans from around the world. Found it easier than shuffling between many sites and price is either less or on par. I may not have a happy place in my heart for Bezos, but I do have for my wallet !! LOL
Try this site: https://www.roastmasters.com/green_coffee.html
I've been buying from them for years. I use Amazon for one thing; to find what I'm looking for and then find available somewhere else.
Thanks, geno. Got it bookmarked. Also thinking of getting the SR800 roaster w/free cooler from Amazon possibly with tube extension. Any recommendation on a coffee to try from roastmasters - keeping in mind that I'm not wealthy !! LOL

My go to coffee is the Costa Rica La Minita ; but this last order I got a 10 lb. bag of it plus 10 each of the Espresso Firenze, Bolivia Fair Trade & Organic and Sumatra Mandheling Fair Trade Organic. The Costa Rican is still my favorite followed by the Bolivian. I roast them separately and mix them together before grinding in different ratios.
My older Espresso maker broke around Christmas and I found that one part I needed to repair it was no longer available. So, I upgraded my grinder (which was getting old also) to go along with the new Gaggia Classic Espresso maker I purchased.
It's been a learning experience, but the combination of my fresh roast beans a much better grinder and the Gaggia Classic have produced some of the best Espresso's I've ever made.
I used a Fresh Roast for about six years, it was my second air roaster, before I ran it totally into the ground and moved on to the range top roaster, I've been using for about a year and a half now.
We're not rich either, but excluding the new equipment (which will last years), I spend about ten dollars a week on coffee.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

geno, again thanks for feed back!! :thanks:

Had to order a new smart phone - my old LG G6 on last legs, so roaster gonna have to wait a bit. My expresso brewers are all old school stove top and my Salton(?) has two settings - brew and steam/frother.
Just set up account @ roastmasters and will be giving them a shot in near future. Lots there to consider.

Thanks Geno for this thread! Love the comments, I’m a coffee drinker as well and might one day give roasting a try. I have a local roaster just a block away so that has kept me from starting my own roasting setup. But, eventually one more endeavor like this might be in the works. LoL. Following with interest.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.