Man Shoots self While Cleaning Pistol

Not knowing the entire story or circumstances, very tragic nonetheless. My assumption, Stricker Fire Pistol that you have to pull the trigger to remove slide.

Whatever the case is, let this be a lesson for all.

1. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FIREARM POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

2. TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY WERE LOADED.

3. KEEP YOUR TRIGGER FINGER OUTSIDE THE GUARD AND OFF OF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE.

4. BE CERTAIN OF YOUR TARGET, YOUR LINE OF FIRE, AND WHAT LIES BEYOND YOUR TARGET.

Full Story:
https://abc13.com/man-killed-accidental ... /12503786/
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Re: Man Shoots self While Cleaning Pistol

I am a retired California Community College System English teacher. Thirty years. Every time a gun came up in a piece of literature or in a news article, I took four valuable minutes to write on the board The Four Rules, and I asked for questions. Usually it was, "what's your favorite caliber?" (scarlet area in northern California) To which I answered, "for what purpose?" Before we returned to me getting paid for what I was hired to do, they all had learned that shooting stuff is fun, but a shooter has to know the limitations of the sport.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Twenty-five years ago, another contractor on a job site where I was doing carpentry work (I think he was there to install gutters) told us of his own negligent discharge event of a few days prior. He had been cleaning his pistol, and it went off, putting a hole through his hand (which was heavily bandaged at the time). The projectile missed his kid by a few feet. I think he was still shaken from that experience.

I wasn't really a gun owner at the time--I had an old .22LR bolt-action rifle in pieces in a closet somewhere, as I didn't have anybody to shoot with and no real interest in shooting at the time. It was over twenty years later that I bought my first pistol. His has been a cautionary tale for me. If I'm going to clean a gun, it comes out of the safe, gets cleared, and gets taken to a different room where there is no ammunition. It gets cleared again before I break it down.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

I almost did that when I was around 13/14 years old with my Ruger 3 screw .22 WMR. Swore I cleared the pistol. Spun the cylinder while cleaning it wiping down the trigger and pulled the trigger. Pistol was pointed inches from my head and POW shot a hole in my parents roof. Got a little powder burn on the face.
Luckily no one was home and I may have wet my boxers. Mucho ringing in the ears too.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Another friend related the tale of having a revolver and spinning the cylinder and pulling the trigger while pointing the gun at random directions in his house. Sure enough, there was a loaded chamber in the cylinder, and a hole in the ceiling to prove that it had been loaded.

Lucky, because an earlier trigger pull had been while the gun was pointed at the family dog.

I've been glad to NOT be around that friend if he had a pistol in hand ever since.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

People get distracted, even cops as we've seen in other threads. I tend to be obsessive so I check a few times to make sure the firearm is unloaded. Maybe it's one of the reasons I prefer DA/SA to SA only pistols. NDs are preventable.

Kudos to CDF for teaching the 4 Rules to his students, you never know when that information could be life saving.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

BearPaws wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:22 pm Another friend related the tale of having a revolver and spinning the cylinder and pulling the trigger while pointing the gun at random directions in his house. Sure enough, there was a loaded chamber in the cylinder, and a hole in the ceiling to prove that it had been loaded.

Lucky, because an earlier trigger pull had been while the gun was pointed at the family dog.

I've been glad to NOT be around that friend if he had a pistol in hand ever since.
Whatever the 2A purportedly guarantees, the fact remains that some people will never possess the maturity (or intelligence) necessary to safely own and handle firearms.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:16 pm
BearPaws wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:22 pm Another friend related the tale of having a revolver and spinning the cylinder and pulling the trigger while pointing the gun at random directions in his house. Sure enough, there was a loaded chamber in the cylinder, and a hole in the ceiling to prove that it had been loaded.

Whatever the 2A purportedly guarantees, the fact remains that some people will never possess the maturity (or intelligence) necessary to safely own and handle firearms.
OK Obi-Wan. lol Yup, you should walk away fast if you see me brandishing a gun.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Well, some would argue that the Glock design requiring one to pull the trigger iban empty chamber in order to field-strip a pistol is oddly risky.
Yeah, guns are risky.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I think he learned the important lesson from this one.

Heck, *I* learned the important lesson from his retelling of this one.

At the time, his twin sons were probably seven years old or so. He still had the pistol, but kept it where they couldn't get to it (still where he could get it if he needed it in a hurry, or so he seemed to think).

it's been thirty years or more since I spent much time with him, for an assortment of reasons (geography being one). Maybe I should look him up again, and find a shooting range where we could meet...

And, I'm gonna say it again...there are MANY immature, dumb-ass, violent and angry people out there who legally own a lot of guns. So..stay vigilant, stay trained, stay armed..protect you and yours, the cops aren't there.

From the way back files. I was working as an EMT on a city ambulance in Ft. Worth. We get a call of a shooting in a home. We get on the scene and there is a man that said he was going to clean his Luger and it went off striking him in the chest. Sure enough he had a wound to his center of the chest. All vital signs were okay, we transported him to the ED and lucky the angle of the bullet hitting him was such it hit his sternum but didn’t penetrate. The Gods smiled upon him that day.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I had a friend who was a rather avid target shooter and reloader. He always followed good safety practices, including pointing an empty gun at a metal barrel filled with sand for the dry-click required to remove the slide for cleaning. He did that reflexively.

One day, he shot that barrel of sand with a live round from that alleged "empty" gun. Good thing he had that extra step. He said it really freaked him out.

Bisbee wrote:Well, some would argue that the Glock design requiring one to pull the trigger iban empty chamber in order to field-strip a pistol is oddly risky.
Yeah, guns are risky.
*Laughs in clearing a 1911…

Whenever I clear my 1911 after ensuring the chamber is clear I rack the slide back and forth at least half a dozen times, recheck the chamber, point in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

I think where even experienced carriers of 1911s make the mistake is not ejecting the magazine first. They eject the round first instead of ejecting the magazine. I’ve done it. Rounds started cycling through the action upon my normal vigorous slide tracking procedure. (obviously, I didn’t pull the trigger after that.)

I love 1911s but it’s the only pistol I own requiring a trigger pull for the unloading procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:56 pm
I love 1911s but it’s the only pistol I own requiring a trigger pull for the unloading procedure.

The P-series striker-fired CZ pistols have that in the procedure. Being somewhat safety-conscious, I share your procedure of racking the slide half a dozen times or more, looking in the chamber, looking away, and looking in the chamber again before pulling the trigger.

And if I'm going to do any dry-fire exercises, the only magazine in the area is carefully reloaded with snap caps and the live ammo is in the locked safe.

Yes, When picking up any auto-loader I usually rack the slide 3x, do a visual check of the chamber, and even manually lower the hammer out of courtesy if it is someone else’s pistol (don’t know if they like to dry fire). If anything unexpected happens to stop that routine, I pay special attention to inspect the gun is empty and safe. Muscle memory is your friend.

Whenever I see one of these I always think "BULLSHIT! You were playing with your gun, fantasizing maybe, fucked up and shot yourself. So you're going to CLAIM you were cleaning your gun to cover up what you were doing!"
The FIRST step of cleaning is ensuring there are ZERO rounds in the firearm. Period.
You don't pull the trigger on a fully assembled gun until AFTER you have cleaned it.
I never allow ammo to be anywhere near my cleaning table--it's always at least one floor away.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."