'The Nightmare Materializes': Far-Right Extremist Itamar Ben-Gvir to Be Israel's National Security Minister

Itamar Ben-Gvir, a far-right Israeli lawmaker who was convicted of incitement to racism against Arabs and supporting a terrorist organization in 2007, is poised to become Israel's national security minister after reaching a deal Friday with incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party.

Haaretz reported that the agreement between Likud and Ben-Gvir's Jewish Power party is the first Netanyahu "has signed with another party as part of the coalition negotiations following this month's elections, which saw his bloc winning the majority of votes." Under the terms of the deal, Reuters observed, Ben-Gvir "will have an expanded security portfolio that will include responsibility for Border Police in the occupied West Bank."

Ben-Gvir hailed the new agreement as an "important step" in the process of establishing "a full right-wing government."
Full story: https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/ ... s-national

This is like if TOS was reelected and he appointed Nick Fuentes to head up Homeland Security and the FBI. This is a sad day for the people of the Palestinian and West Bank area.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: 'The Nightmare Materializes': Far-Right Extremist Itamar Ben-Gvir to Be Israel's National Security Minister

To add to this we have:
Biden Administration Offers Weak Response to Israel’s Right Wing Shakeup
And the early indications from Joe Biden’s administration indicate a continuation of the weak responses that have characterized his policy toward Israel for decades.

The hand-wringing was frantic as the vote count in Israel was finalized and it became clear that, while Netanyahu’s Likud was once again going to be the largest party in the Knesset — as it had been in the previous six elections — the Religious Zionism bloc would be the second biggest in the incoming governing coalition. The two main parties in that coalition were led by Bezalel Smotrich, whose blatantly racist policies are reminiscent of the late radical Meir Kahane, a man so honestly racist he was banned from the Knesset; and Itamar Ben-Gvir, who openly espouses his admiration for and adherence to Kahane’s ideology.
But it was a welcome opportunity to craft a performance for Washington, suggesting that Netanyahu would “listen to reason.” With that illusion cast, the provocative steps began to coalesce. Ben-Gvir got the Public Security ministry he wanted. That puts him in control of Israel’s police and border patrol, two entities that interact a great deal with Palestinians in 1948 Israel, Jerusalem, and the West Bank. It also controls firearms licenses, and Israel’s International Homeland Security Forum, meaning Ben-Gvir will have an enormous influence all over the world on such matters as cybersecurity and so-called “counter-terrorism” procedures.

Another prominent feature that has emerged from the coalition talks is that Netanyahu has apparently conceded to Smotrich’s demand that he be given control of the so-called “Civil Administration,” which is the military regime that administers both the Palestinian areas (except for those meager powers doled out to the Palestinian Authority in the Oslo-designated Areas A and B) and Jewish settlements in the West Bank. The Religious Zionist platform calls for dismantling this administration and reverting authority to the relevant Israeli ministries and authorities, no different than in 1948 Israel.

As Shaqued Morag of Peace Now put it, “Smotrich sees Area C as Israeli territory and he is going to implement his vision of Jewish supremacy there, meaning he will allow settlements to take Palestinian land and do everything in his power to suppress the minority of Palestinians living in Area C, meaning the de facto annexation of the territory.”
https://truthout.org/articles/biden-adm ... g-shakeup/

It is time to rethink our position as to Israel. We can take the same actions we took with South Africa and apartheid, cutting foreign aid and military aid. Also forbid any political contributions to candidates here in the US from any foreign source including AIPAC.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: 'The Nightmare Materializes': Far-Right Extremist Itamar Ben-Gvir to Be Israel's National Security Minister

Less than 15 million Jews in the world, nearly 2 billion Muslims. Just because your paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get you. I know that sounds a bit racist. It's an easy moniker to stick on someone. Sometimes fear manifests itself in words and actions that from an outside point of view look less than admirable.

Sure, it's about power. The vying groups use fear and hate to build armies for battle. Most people would just like to live in peace, if only they could.

I often am angered by what politicians here say, but I don't have any solutions, just the same fears as everyone else. Although not a believer, there is some good advice from Matthew 5-7.

I doubt I could do a mile in their shoes.
Getting old, or is it just me?

As an American Jew (albeit Agnostic, raised Atheist), I used to be proud of Israel, its pluck and general open-mindedness. But now I'm ashamed of it. With the influx and instant voting power of vast numbers of ultra-Orthodox and former Soviet Jews (the Hassidic Jews hypocritically OPPOSED the founding of Israel as the Moshiach had not yet presented himself) overwhelmed the once Social Democrat instincts and actions of administrations prior. We're talking about people who JUSTIFY the assassination of Yitzach Rabin for DARING to make peace with the Palestinians, and his murderer is considered a hero to many. Their John Wilkes Booth who murdered THEIR Abraham Lincoln.

How can I not be ashamed?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It's the length that Bibi Netanyahu will go to get back into power and possibly win in his trials or have his criminal charges dropped. Ben-Gvir's party is the 2nd largest after Likud in Bibi's coalition, so he gave Ben-Gvir what he wanted, Ben-Gvir is also homophobic. The Minister of Public Security which is Ben-Gvir new job controls the police and the border guards, Israel has only one police force for the whole country.
During the election campaign, Mr Netanyahu promised he would safeguard LGBT rights if he became prime minister.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-63780509

I'm not a Netanyahu supporter but he is skilled enough to be able to eventually dump Ben-Gvir and still retain his position as prime minister. Ben-Gvir is a lawyer, I hope he knows the limits of his new job.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan