EBR in Wood Furniture?

I've decided I want a non-black/camo EBR in a >.223 caliber.

Wish list:
Semi-auto
Wood furniture
Pic rail
Detachable magazine
.308 family caliber
Straight grip

At this point, got my eyes on the Browning MKIII. Thoughts? What else is out there? Particularly out of the box in wood? What does quality and (super) long range accuracy look like? I see the Windham Hunter, but it's got a pistol grip.

Re: EBR in Wood Furniture?

I hate threads like this. It's like driving by a bunch of young, naked dancing people with one's spouse in the car. I can fit one more rifle in my safe only if I leave the stock off and it's in little parts that I can shoe-horn in there--some assembly required, as it were. Grrrrr. ;-)

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The straight grip is the kicker, thay generally means M14 type weapon. There are some BM59's available currently, which is a much cooler version of the M14...and there are a number of makers and versions of basic M14's. I'm not big on sporting semi-auto's, they never seem to work out well when you start pumping rounds through them...just don't hold up well.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: The straight grip is the kicker, thay generally means M14 type weapon. There are some BM59's available currently, which is a much cooler version of the M14...and there are a number of makers and versions of basic M14's. I'm not big on sporting semi-auto's, they never seem to work out well when you start pumping rounds through them...just don't hold up well.
Yep, therein lies the rub with the straigt grip. Quality is the thing. I heard the Browning MKIIIs referred to as the "gentleman's AR" and it kinda stuck with me. But to be a "gentleman's" anything, it needs to be quality. Not the expensive junk most AR platform stuff falls into.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Other than the grip, sounds like you're describing my Windham Hunter.
That was on my shortlist but made me realize I really want the straight grip.

58Hawken wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:24 pm
FrontSight wrote: The straight grip is the kicker, thay generally means M14 type weapon. There are some BM59's available currently, which is a much cooler version of the M14...and there are a number of makers and versions of basic M14's. I'm not big on sporting semi-auto's, they never seem to work out well when you start pumping rounds through them...just don't hold up well.
Yep, therein lies the rub with the straigt grip. Quality is the thing. I heard the Browning MKIIIs referred to as the "gentleman's AR" and it kinda stuck with me. But to be a "gentleman's" anything, it needs to be quality. Not the expensive junk most AR platform stuff falls into.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Other than the grip, sounds like you're describing my Windham Hunter.
I realize it doesn't meet that key criterion. Sounds like a Cali restriction.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Other than the grip, sounds like you're describing my Windham Hunter.
Seeing you talk about yours a couple years ago got me (re) thinking. I’d speculated about an AR-10 just for the fantasy of a SHTF weapon I could hunt with quite a while ago. Then I saw your Windham and thought it was purty. Saw the “gentleman’s AR” reference to the Browning on a Liberal Hunters board and it was REAL purty. The recent talk of another AWB has sent me on my rants about them boiling down to a pistol grip making it instantly deadlier. That people have it in their brains that a .223 is the most lethal round known to man. How there are better quality rifles with more power that would walk right through the AWB on pistol grips. That landed me back with the BARs. Looked at the Stalkers, but wanted the larger capacity detachable box magazine rather than the trap door design. That’s landed me where I am.

In short, I’m not trying to meet a Cali style restriction, I’m trying to spite it.

58Hawken wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:38 am
YankeeTarheel wrote:
Other than the grip, sounds like you're describing my Windham Hunter.
Seeing you talk about yours a couple years ago got me (re) thinking. I’d speculated about an AR-10 just for the fantasy of a SHTF weapon I could hunt with quite a while ago. Then I saw your Windham and thought it was purty. Saw the “gentleman’s AR” reference to the Browning on a Liberal Hunters board and it was REAL purty. The recent talk of another AWB has sent me on my rants about them boiling down to a pistol grip making it instantly deadlier. That people have it in their brains that a .223 is the most lethal round known to man. How there are better quality rifles with more power that would walk right through the AWB on pistol grips. That landed me back with the BARs. Looked at the Stalkers, but wanted the larger capacity detachable box magazine rather than the trap door design. That’s landed me where I am.

In short, I’m not trying to meet a Cali style restriction, I’m trying to spite it.
:thumbup:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."