Hurricane Ian

Well after seeing miles upon mile of destroyed homes. Mobile homes, what!?
These people I think want us to pay for their idiocy and rebuild their homes.
Only 18% have flood insurance.
Numerous insurance companies have gone under before Ian.
Why should the fed have to pay for these people who know its coming? Science deniers abound in Florida. The governor is a science deni e r.
The governor didn't want to help pay for New Jersey and New York damages couple years ago. But yet immediately asks for federal bailout at 100%.
Fuck that. You pay for your house on the beach that I cannot even afford.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Re: Hurricane Ian

He can afford to send people from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard, so he can afford to spend Florida’s government funds to rebuild Florida from the hurricane.

I’m sure that TOS is filing for massive funds to repair Mar-A-Loco and his golf course.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

According to experts there is no place on earth not subject to some sort of natural disaster from wind, floods, fire, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, drought... it's the frequency though and who should pay for post disaster services that comes up every time another hurricane hits the US or Puerto Rico.

State and federal politicians don't have the political will to say "you can't rebuild here". No one is going to tell residents of New Orleans, Houston, Mobile, Tampa, Charleston ..., along the Gulf and East Coasts that they have to move inland or have enough insurance to pay for all recovery services, that government will no longer pay for it. They'd never get reelected.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It was a wild ride here in coastal Virginia last night. The outer bands of Ian colliding with an Atlantic low made for crazy nor’easter like conditions. It has been dry, dry, dry here for weeks. Wife is excited because all 800 gallons of rain barrels are full.

Tounengroover, while I understand your sentiment to some degree, people gotta live somewhere. My house is on a tributary of the James and has stood through at least ten hurricanes. We understand we are one direct hit away from homelessness and are insured accordingly. I can’t make the NASA Langley research facilities that pay my living move so I gotta live somewhere. I do think moving to Fl or anywhere that relies on the Colorado river for water, just because you want to, is insane.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

highdesert wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:40 am According to experts there is no place on earth not subject to some sort of natural disaster from wind, floods, fire, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, drought... it's the frequency though and who should pay for post disaster services that comes up every time another hurricane hits the US or Puerto Rico.

State and federal politicians don't have the political will to say "you can't rebuild here". No one is going to tell residents of New Orleans, Houston, Mobile, Tampa, Charleston ..., along the Gulf and East Coasts that they have to move inland or have enough insurance to pay for all recovery services, that government will no longer pay for it. They'd never get reelected.
It would decimate economies at this point to totally abandon already built areas. Simply saying no won’t happen. Dim historic past cities and towns have been relocated. It would take a lot to do that now. Are there areas that are proving to be problematic, yes. Houston should never have gotten as big as it is and certainly not without upgrading the flood prevention infrastructure. Houston had plans in the 1940’s for four to five detention areas, only two got built. Houston as it is now is not designed to temporarily hold the water in a catastrophic event. Overbuilding is a problem and allowing development without proper oversight for the overall picture is a root problem. Greed and me first profiteers.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Mason wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:12 am It was a wild ride here in coastal Virginia last night. The outer bands of Ian colliding with an Atlantic low made for crazy nor’easter like conditions. It has been dry, dry, dry here for weeks. Wife is excited because all 800 gallons of rain barrels are full.

Tounengroover, while I understand your sentiment to some degree, people gotta live somewhere. My house is on a tributary of the James and has stood through at least ten hurricanes. We understand we are one direct hit away from homelessness and are insured accordingly. I can’t make the NASA Langley research facilities that pay my living move so I gotta live somewhere. I do think moving to Fl or anywhere that relies on the Colorado river for water, just because you want to, is insane.
Agree on the bold, we have created many of the environmental and development problems ourselves. I would think returning the Colorado ecosystem to its natural state would be a benefit to all in the end. Reducing population in problem areas to lower numbers that can be sustained without disruption to natural systems would be smart. Unfortunately won’t happen.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have empathy for your hurricaned folks. Here all I have to worry about is earthquakes and volcanoes--nearest one popped off in 1914. We don't worry about the drought, as it's a dry drought.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

We've had several flood prone areas that have finally been ordered no more rebuilding after being wiped out two- three times in past. No idea on compensation for the land owners, don't really care, but no more catastrophic loss of life or structures during flooding for those areas nor putting first responders in danger. I recall there was a lot of whining and pissing and moaning but county held firm.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:59 am We've had several flood prone areas that have finally been ordered no more rebuilding after being wiped out two- three times in past. No idea on compensation for the land owners, don't really care, but no more catastrophic loss of life or structures during flooding for those areas nor putting first responders in danger. I recall there was a lot of whining and pissing and moaning but county held firm.
That is ultimately the correct decision. I would think compensation or a redevelopment area in a not flood prone area would be in order.

We are going to be forced to change some habits nationwide due to climate change. Let's face facts, sea levels are rising and costal flooding will become more common, droughts will continue in areas as rain patterns and temperature changes. Much of southern Florida will revert to salt water swamps and much of the lush California cropland will be more like the arid Arizona desert when the the Colorado River became the Colorado Creek.

It is not just the USA that will be affected but the whole world and as long as we have idiots that deny the facts we and our descendants are screwed.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Mason wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:12 am It was a wild ride here in coastal Virginia last night. The outer bands of Ian colliding with an Atlantic low made for crazy nor’easter like conditions. It has been dry, dry, dry here for weeks. Wife is excited because all 800 gallons of rain barrels are full.

I can agree with the bold as well.
I wish we didn't sign on to the CAP water deal. It would have forced Tucson to stay smaller since we got along fine without it and used ground water. We will be fine without it. Southern California on the other hand will not. They are the biggest users and waste more water on lawns and pools than anyone.
I'm all Edward Abbey as it comes to damming the Colorado.

As far as living on the beach in a hurrican alley you know we all are going to pay for this over and over. It's senseless. No insurance then no rebuild for free.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

sikacz wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:25 am

Agree on the bold, we have created many of the environmental and development problems ourselves. I would think returning the Colorado ecosystem to its natural state would be a benefit to all in the end. Reducing population in problem areas to lower numbers that can be sustained without disruption to natural systems would be smart. Unfortunately won’t happen.
Neither party in the US is advocating reducing our population which is part of the problem, it's political suicide. Everything south of the Tehachapi Mountains (north of LA) is desert and shouldn't have been allowed to grow to its current size, but no one said NO. William Mulholland and the following generations of CA politicians and bureaucrats kept the water running for landscaping and pools, but it can't be sustained. Sad to say but climate change will force politician's hands, but I predict the current politicians will wimp out and only make decisions absolutely necessary to preserve life and let the following generations make the really hard decisions. CA is a very wealthy state so it will survive, can't say the same about our neighboring states.

Venice, Italy has been sinking for a long time, but Europe has other cities built on canals like Amsterdam, Bruges, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Annecy, St Petersburg, Birmingham...that will also feel the effects of rising waters. It's an international problem but like everything else the battles will be fought nationally.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Matt Gaetz Votes No On Relief Money As Florida Grapples With Hurricane Ian Aftermath

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), a Florida native and lawmaker, voted against a measure to free up millions of dollars in disaster relief for the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Gaetz was one of several House Republicans on Friday who voted against a resolution to allow FEMA to use up to $15 million from the Disaster Relief Fund, Newsweek reported.

The bill passed in both the House and the Senate, and it awaits President Joe Biden’s approval.

The vote comes in the same week that Hurricane Ian killed dozens of Florida residents, flooded communities, and destroyed homes and businesses.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/matt-gae ... 0e606e676e

This vote should be broadcast on all media, in Florida especially in his district, before the election. Ram it down his throat and up his ass.

At least 81 people in Florida have died due to Hurricane Ian, according to local officials. Four additional people were also reported dead due to the storm in North Carolina, the governor's office said.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-deat ... d=90693636

Not surprised that the missing is high, lack of electricity and mobile phone service. If people didn't go to shelters and register, but instead left the state seeking shelter with relatives or friends it will take weeks to sort. As rescuers start going through buildings more dead will be found. Even though it's been 4 days since Ian hit Florida, reports are that flood waters are still rising.

highdesert wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:56 am
At least 81 people in Florida have died due to Hurricane Ian, according to local officials. Four additional people were also reported dead due to the storm in North Carolina, the governor's office said.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-deat ... d=90693636

Not surprised that the missing is high, lack of electricity and mobile phone service. If people didn't go to shelters and register, but instead left the state seeking shelter with relatives or friends it will take weeks to sort. As rescuers start going through buildings more dead will be found. Even though it's been 4 days since Ian hit Florida, reports are that flood waters are still rising.
Not seeing a lot of coverage on the on going flooding. You’re right it’ll take time to figure out where people went and if they are safe.

We are having some wild weather here in coastal Virginia that is apparently more after effect of Ian. Wind gusts to 50mph and lots of rain. All our city schools are closed today and NASA Langley closes at noon today. I’m at work so can’t see how bad the flooding is. It has basically been high tide ++ for the last week or so.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:19 am We are having some wild weather here in coastal Virginia that is apparently more after effect of Ian. Wind gusts to 50mph and lots of rain. All our city schools are closed today and NASA Langley closes at noon today. I’m at work so can’t see how bad the flooding is. It has basically been high tide ++ for the last week or so.
You and your family stay safe Mason.

'Why not raise it for the Red Cross?': DeSantis' creates private hurricane relief fund

In the event of a disaster, a whole host of organizations swoop into the area to help. Everyone from the United Way to the Red Cross, World Central Kitchen and even the Humane Society joins with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to deliver water, help people get to shelters, feed folks, help animals and ultimately begin to rebuild their lives.

The work that is done is part of an effort that has existed for decades and gets better and better with each disaster from trusted groups that fall under federal oversight. After an event, most leaders point to such groups to encourage folks to help, but as Hurricane Ian bared down on Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) started his own disaster relief fund, putting his wife in charge of it.
There's also a concern about someone like DeSantis after Americans watched former President Donald Trump use a charity to squirrel away more money for himself.
Full article:https://www.rawstory.com/florida-disast ... questions/

I wonder how much of the Florida state money he used for the migrant flights to Martha's Vineyard wound up in his pocket? Just like this collection with his wife in charge. What is her salary?

Grifters Gotta Grift and the people get screwed.

I've worked many disasters over the years and yes there are fraudsters. There are people out on the streets "collecting" for big name charities, but instead it goes into their pockets. There are merchants who gouge customers based on "market prices", merchants who raise prices on wood and rebuilding materials, landlords who raise rents...it all goes on. Most of the fraudsters are in and out quickly when local police and prosecutors are busy with other situations or there isn't enough evidence to prosecute. It's not everyone, there are some very generous people during emergencies. But a disaster is no different than any other time in life, people should use common sense and be cautious.